West Coast Cruises

mcrcruiser

We have cruised many lines & because of our ages & that we have 75 past cruises ,we decided after 2016 ,we will cruise from either our home port of San Diego or the San Pedro ,world Cruise Center port ;as we wish not to fly any longer;)

My question is to those who have experienced booking after final payment ,what has been your experience with reduced prices & cabin availability ?

TIA

We have cruised many lines & because of our ages & that we have 75 past cruises ,we decided after 2016 ,we will cruise from either our home port of San Diego or the San Pedro ,world Cruise Center port ;as we wish not to fly any longer;)

My question is to those who have experienced booking after final payment ,what has been your experience with reduced prices & cabin availability ?

TIA

For an upcoming CA Coastal from SP the price for an inside cabin dropped slightly after final payment from a little over $500 (plus taxes & fees). Within the last month before sailing it dropped to $354 (new bookings only) and there are still about 25 inside cabins available but other categories were sold out a couple of days ago.

About 6 weeks before the cruise we received an upsell offer...$249/pp...to move from an inside cabin to a balcony cabin. We declined the offer because it's port intensive & cabins were not in a desirable location for us.

Being retired we're flexible and next time we'll wait until the last month or so to book a cruise from SP where we can drive to the port.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Cabin prices are based on an algorithm. Supply and demand at its finest.

Best times are when school is in session.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Princess has a nice, new west coast itinerary coming up beginning Nov. 16.

The Island Princess is doing a 19 night, partial Panama Canal with new stops all along the Mexican and Central American coast.

As usual the launch prices are high... but stay tuned as the sail date draws near. :D

The Island Princess is doing a 19 night, partial Panama Canal with new stops all along the Mexican and Central American coast.

As usual the launch prices are high... but stay tuned as the sail date draws near. :D

This could possibly a one off... We'll have to wait and see if it's offered again. Don't count on it.

Checking the Princess schedule the roundtrip LA cruise to the PC obviously is expected to be very popular & it comes with a premium price.

An inside cabin begins at $3,449 ($181/day) for the 19 days and a 15 day one-way complete crossing also in November 2016 is $1,834 ($122/day). I know several people from the LA area who are sailing on this cruise & based on the pricing it appears to be selling well & is unlikely to have any significant price reductions.

But I'll "stay tuned" even though to me it's unlikely that this one time itinerary (nothing else in 2016/2017) will have any big drop in price.

Edited by Astro Flyer

This could possibly a one off... We'll have to wait and see if it's offered again. Don't count on it.

Costing over $1,600 more for 4 extra days is too much for me to pay for this unique 19 day roundtrip LA cruise. I could fly to or from FLL for a couple hundred dollars one-way for the 15 day PC cruise and still save a boatload of money. ;)

"Supply & demand" makes this cruise more than I'm willing to pay.

????????????

$2459. Plus fees and taxes.

Still high.

Where do you see that price?????????????

I just checked the Princess website & the cheapest is $3,449 ($390 tax/fees included). :confused:

image.jpg.87319ff123a97b265a4cb27dfa1590fe.jpg

Edited by Astro Flyer

One on line agency already shows this cruise as sold out. I doubt there will be any discounts. I also see on the Princess website as $3400 for the cheapest inside.

Same price I see both signed in or not! ($3449pp)

Thanks for confirming that you also see the same price...I was beginning to wonder if I had done something wrong. ;)

One on line agency already shows this cruise as sold out. I doubt there will be any discounts. I also see on the Princess website as $3400 for the cheapest inside.

Joe, if I recall correctly you're sailing this cruise...have prices dramatically increased since it was available for booking?

Do you know if when an online agency shows a cruise as sold out that means their allotment of cabins to sell have been booked?

We are sailing on the PC cruise and, yes, prices have increased quite a bit since we booked. and I noticed that the few cabins that are left, increased again a few days ago..

Thanks...it's not surprising to me when such unique itineraries have higher prices & it's definitely the type of cruise to book sooner than later. ;)

I frequently check for good prices from LA (only have to drive to the port) and whenever I've checked the price for the 28 day Hawaii/Tahiti itinerary r/t LA it also has higher prices. It's only offered once or twice a year and based on it's prices it continues to be very popular...more demand than supply results in higher prices.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thanks for confirming that you also see the same price...I was beginning to wonder if I had done something wrong. ;)

Joe, if I recall correctly you're sailing this cruise...have prices dramatically increased since it was available for booking?

Do you know if when an online agency shows a cruise as sold out that means their allotment of cabins to sell have been booked?

Hi Frank, yes we do have a cabin held on this cruise. We have a mid/aft mini that cost $4053PP. Yikes!!! Only mini now is front of ship, no balcony and that is going for $4749.

Ours included OBC, Exclusive Drinks Package and Specialty dinner. We were hoping for a price reduction at some point but since there was none we might not do this cruise. But like you we are always looking for something different that leaves from the West Coast. Sorry I can't answer your question about the online agency. My guess is they had some cabins held and now they have sold them out or they turned them back in. Joe :)

Hi Frank, yes we do have a cabin held on this cruise. We have a mid/aft mini that cost $4053PP. Yikes!!! Only mini now is front of ship, no balcony and that is going for $4749.

Ours included OBC, Exclusive Drinks Package and Specialty dinner. We were hoping for a price reduction at some point but since there was none we might not do this cruise. But like you we are always looking for something different that leaves from the West Coast. Sorry I can't answer your question about the online agency. My guess is they had some cabins held and now they have sold them out or they turned them back in. Joe :)

Thanks Joe...pricing for cruises like this PC cruise and last December's 50th anniversary cruise on the Pacific Princess are more than we're willing to pay. ;)

Thanks Joe...pricing for cruises like this PC cruise and last December's 50th anniversary cruise on the Pacific Princess are more than we're willing to pay. ;)

Yep I know what you mean. I hope for the best but it doesn't always work out so on to the next one. LOL

I frequently check for good prices from LA (only have to drive to the port) and whenever I've checked the price for the 28 day Hawaii/Tahiti itinerary r/t LA it also has higher prices. It's only offered once or twice a year and based on it's prices it continues to be very popular...more demand than supply results in higher prices.

Carnival Corp, which owns CCL, Princess and more) has stated that there goal is to expand capacity at a slower rate than demand is expanding.

This leads to, as you indicate, higher pricing and thus higher profits.

Carnival Corp, which owns CCL, Princess and more) has stated that there goal is to expand capacity at a slower rate than demand is expanding.

This leads to, as you indicate, higher pricing and thus higher profits.

The cruising industry has exploded in the last 15 years. It's become a virtual arms race among mainstream lines to 'keep up with the Jones' -- building bigger and bigger vessels w/ more bells and whistles to entice the consumer.

It leads to wondering when the carrying capacity will be met. Is there a 'bubble' waiting to burst?

This mass competition has been great for consumer pricing in that the average person can now afford to choose cruising as an affordable vacation option.

The result of this competitive pricing has pushed mainstream lines to move more away from an all-inclusive experience towards an a la carte experience(AKA nickle and diming). The bean counters are also constantly looking at ways to reduce overhead costs -- often at the expense of the overall quality(& the included extras) that once existed.

Having gotten used to getting some excellent deals on cruises on good itineraries in recent years, I'm hard pressed to want to pay any more than what I've been used to paying, especially for a product that seems to have also cheapened somewhat over the same span.

Granted, we usually cruise during the shoulder season(IE. in between the Holidays or Jan. etc.) and/or when kids are in school....We primarily book commonly offered 7-10 day itineraries instead of unique one-off ones. The 50th Anniversary MR sailing piqued my interest for about 1 day(as did the West Coast PC sailing)...that is...until I scoped the price(s).

(Not including port fees/taxes/gratuities) Reasonable base fares of $60-70 pp per day for an inside, $80-90 pp for an oceanview, $100-130 pp for a balcony are what I am content as a limit to pay for the Princess experience.

When I see Princess brochure (launch)offerings starting at 2x(sometimes 3x) those prices I just have to laugh, as I don't find the Princess' product worth those inflated amounts. Ever.

At that price point(or for just a hair more), I would start looking at Azamara, Oceania or other intro/semi-luxury lines -- Of which Princess is not.

In no way could sailing on a ship with 3000(much less 4000) other passengers ever be considered luxurious.

Edited by Skai

When I booked a Coastal for 2014, I booked a cabin at a price that was acceptable to me and then watched the price and available cabins up until final payment. Days before payment was due, I saw that there were many cabins still available and predicted the price would down after final payment was due. So I canceled and watched prices. Sure enough, within a couple weeks, the price went down a good bit. I need a cabin for 3 so I couldn't wait to see if would go down even more.

For my most recent Coastal, I got a good deal after final payment because someone had canceled their cruise and the cabin became available.

It's a gamble, but it can pay off! Good luck!