It is OK to tip on excursions

krazy4kruisin

I was on an independent shore excursion this past week in St Maarten with 3 couples from a MSC ship (we were on a RCCI ship), it was a fabulous 4 hour tour around the island. We had a great driver that narrated during the the tour. He was wonderful. We were the only Americans on the tour and we were the only ones that tipped the driver as we all paid at the same time in cash. It is ok to tip. If you can't afford to tip, don't take the trip. Go ahead and start the flames. I will not return to this board.

I was on an independent shore excursion this past week in St Maarten with 3 couples from a MSC ship (we were on a RCCI ship), it was a fabulous 4 hour tour around the island. We had a great driver that narrated during the the tour. He was wonderful. We were the only Americans on the tour and we were the only ones that tipped the driver as we all paid at the same time in cash. It is ok to tip. If you can't afford to tip, don't take the trip. Go ahead and start the flames. I will not return to this board.

not from me. If he was a good guide, he should get something

Totally agree.

I went on a private tour around the island, and we all tipped the driver. English and American. I think it should be up to the individual, but if you think it was a good tour, no harm in tipping. We was on a P&O ship, and a carnival ship was in next to us. We all had a great time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think it is the cultural European/American thing about tipping again.

We are British and may or may not tip on an excursion, if the guide was really good we would do so but if he was just OK, doing his job, we wouldn't. We would not feel we HAVE to tip like many Americans seem to.

When we are in the US, we follow the local custom and tip even if things are just OK, but St Maarten is French/Dutch so we would go by European customs and only tip if we felt we got something special.

I'd agree with Kernow that the tipping culture in Britain is very different to America. Most people expect/do get paid a fair salary (and that in itself could be debated for a long time) for the job they do (in whatever industry they work) and do not expect a significant portion of their pay to be made up of tips. That's not to suggest people don't tip but that it tends to be for exceptional service rather than just because the person has done the job they've paid for.

I'm in Ireland and the tipping culture is much different in Europe than it is in the US.

I would tip at restaurants if the service was ok and a larger tip for good service however if it was an excursion, it wouldn't even cross my mind to tip (maybe it will now though).

So the OP came on this board to lecture people and to tell them what to do and doesn't even have the common courtesy to stay and be part the discussion. :mad:

Krazy4Kruisin has spoken, we must obey! :rolleyes:

Edited by electro