Missing the ship in port

MsMot

This is like my biggest fear and I have tried to tell my daughter too. She tells me I watch and read too much on here. LOL. I told her is she and her boyfriend get left, they better like the Bahamas. LOL. I can't even begin to imagine if that happened...........

If you haven't returned by sailaway time, Carnival staff will actually check your room safe for passports and give them to their agent in port. That was good info to know, as I worried about whether or not to take my passport with me when on shore. I didn't want to risk losing it (while snorkeling etc) but should something happen to keep me behind, I would need it!

I have to wonder, what if you had kids in the Camp that stayed on board and they were young ... and you missed the ship. What would happen then? Would the ship wait longer for you? What would happen with the kids? Has anyone heard of that situation?

I seem to remember in terms and conditions of one cruise line that you could not get off and leave kids on board. An adult responsible for them must be on board. Of course cruise lines have different t& c but seems sensible to me.

There is no way I could leave my kids on the ship. I would be worried the whole time, plus I would want to have fun with them. Building memories....

Agree, why take your kids on a cruise and not let them enjoy it with you. I can understand that parents will need some time away from the kids but I could never let the ship out of my sight.

I seem to remember in terms and conditions of one cruise line that you could not get off and leave kids on board. An adult responsible for them must be on board. Of course cruise lines have different t& c but seems sensible to me.

Seems like a good rule. I honestly don't understand how anyone can leave their kids on a ship without them. Too many things can go wrong while in port. Besides, what's the point of bringing your kids in vacation with you if you are going to leave them with babysitters the whole time?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Agree, why take your kids on a cruise and not let them enjoy it with you. I can understand that parents will need some time away from the kids but I could never let the ship out of my sight.

We always say it's our daughter's vacation too. We wouldn't leave her on board without us.

We were in Progreso Wedn. We did the Carnival excursion to Uxmal. We ended up running behind schedule. When we got back to be port, our guide was stressing that we need to go to the boat immediately. Do not stop to shop because there is no time.

According to my TA as long as you purchased insurance the cruise line is responsible for getting you to the next port. I have never heard of them allowing to board from a tugboat. I do know they will helicopter you off the ship if you are critically ill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is not true. Insurance doesn't cover missing the ship. Insurance will cover a medical evacuation via helicopter.

I, for the life of me, cannot understand how anyone can miss the ship! We have seen it happen too many times over 21 cruises and still find it hard to believe that someone cannot make it back in time.

Once, we were in St. Thomas and saw 3 young women running towards the ship after the captain had blown the ship's horn 3 different times, indicating it was time to set sail. The women stopped, ran into a store, came running out, ran into another store and came running out again. It was, however, too late as the ship had already pulled away from the pier. The girls just stood there screaming for the ship to come back but to no avail. I can't imagine what that must have felt like. Passengers were screaming for the women to hurry as they ran towards the ship but it didn't stop them from running into the shops one time too many! Like Walter would say...Oh well!

They got what they deserved. Running through shops when you are already late is ridiculous.

I have been onboard when the captain returned to the dock to pick up a late guest. We were only 30 foot or so away. I have also been onboard waving to folks still on the dock.

We've also experienced this once.

On another occasion, the Pilot boat brought a passenger out to the ship and on a third occasion, what looked like a private boat brought 3 passengers out to the ship.

In Nassau, we've seen the ship leave passengers on the dock twice. Passengers were obviously drunk.

Seems like a good rule. I honestly don't understand how anyone can leave their kids on a ship without them. Too many things can go wrong while in port. Besides, what's the point of bringing your kids in vacation with you if you are going to leave them with babysitters the whole time?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My sister will occasionally leave her younger two on board while she and her husband do an excursion with her older two. The kids love the camp so they are having fun.

This is not true. Insurance doesn't cover missing the ship. Insurance will cover a medical evacuation via helicopter.

The insurance I buy certainly covers missing the ship! (for legitimate reasons- I do not think it covers being drunk)

I don't know how to attach a thread onto this post but CC member Poutanen posted a condensed version of another cc's post of missing the ship in Nassau.

It is long but a suspenseful and white knuckle read.

If you do a search in the Carnival forum with the word Nassau, it will come up.

The title is:Klfhnger's story:I missed the boat in Nassau!

Once you read this, you will never miss the ship, ever!

November 2003 my family cruised on Royal Caribbean's Explorer Of The Seas nine day repositioning cruise from Bayonne, New Jersey to Miami. On the last day of the cruise my family decided to do a short beach break excursion sponsored by the cruiseline to a beach located approximately thirty minutes from the pier. We traveled on a small boat to the location. While sitting on the beach I noticed dark clouds coming from the west towards us. Someone yelled that everyone should clear the beach and walk over to a covered area to wait for the rainstorm to pass us. Before leaving the beach I noticed a few local vendors offering jet ski trips from the same beach we were on. We all cleared the beach and waited for a few minutes. My wife told me that my son left his flip flops on the beach so I walked over to get them. When I got back to the beach I saw one of the vendors driving a jet ski in circles a few hundred feet from the beach. I didn't think much about it until we returned to the boat which was going to take us back to the ship. A family on the boat was crying and I later found out that a young couple who rented one of the jet skis and were riding in the channel when the storm arrived were hit by a racing boat that didn't see them due to the poor visibility. A nineteen year old male who was driving the jet ski was killed and an eighteen year old female passenger was seriously injured in the incident. She had to be airlifted back to Miami to be treated for her injuries. We arrived back to the ship an hour later than the ships scheduled departure. They held the ship for us and didn't leave until the family grabbed their luggage for a flight back to Miami.

Cruise fanatic,

You are wrong. I buy TravelGuard travel insurance every trip. It covers missing the ship will get me to the next port and medical evacuations , and many other things.

Cruise fanatic,

You are wrong. I buy TravelGuard travel insurance every trip. It covers missing the ship will get me to the next port and medical evacuations , and many other things.

In your original post you said the cruise line is responsible to get you to the next port which is 100% wrong unless you are on a cruise sponsored excursion. Even then they more than likely will not leave without you.

Insurance is different. I get it all the time too. They will get you to your ship should you miss it before embarkation due to a covered reason. I am not aware of a policy that will cover you due to your negligence of returning to the ship on time.