Bear sighting while NOT on a tour?

baxley

I'll be going on a 14-day cruise to Alaska in August-Sept and really can't afford to go on a $300 bear sighting tour or flight. Is there another way to see them in the wild? Where did you see them? I'll be going to Kenai Peninsula, Kodiak, Homer, etc. Thanks for any ideas. I do remember seeing black bears at Mendenhall once.

You mention seeing them at Mendenhall once but you don't say you are going to Juneau (though most cruises go there). If you rent a car in Kodiak and drive along the road system, there is a decent chance you will see a bear or two that time of year. I would probably drive it 2-3 times to increase your chances.

Your chances are very slim but increase if you go to a river/lake/falls/fish wheel or a hatchery where there salmon are present, and usually in the late afternoon or evening. Having a rental car obviously provides more opportunity. I do my bear viewing at Denali, but on road trips locals have pointed out places to go if we wanted to see bears, usually the town hatchery.

In trip reports, some folks reported seeing a bear at Mendenhall or during their drive to the coast. In Ketchikan via car or taxi to Herring Cove. Or driving along the Klondike Hwy out of Skagway. Very few sightings but it can happen.

Look at the VIEWING section of the Alaska Fish and Game site. Near the bottom of the page is POPULAR BEAR VIEWING SITES and ALL BEAR VIEWING SITES. Maybe you'll find some helpful info there. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=viewing.landmammals&species=bears#anchor

On one of our trips, we got to see a bear cub up in a tree at Mendenhall. There were a whole bunch of people watching for a long while until one of the rangers chased us away to give the little guy a chance to get down off the tree and into the woods.

DON

Three times I have been to Glacier Bay, twice saw bears [more than one the

first time], along the shores going in or out. You will need field glasses to see

the shore that well, and then you need to look! I swear, every time I hear

people say the didn't see wildlife in Alaska, it turns out they spend little

to NO time actually looking.

There are bears in most areas of Alaska, less in human habitations, though

even there more than none. Eagles everywhere. Sea life in virtually all water

areas. Look for them, and you WILL see them.

About 30 minutes south of Anchorage along Turnagain Arm is Bird Creek. During the salmon runs there are frequent sightings of brown bears that can be seen from the walkway next to the highway. I was down there last season and saw them daily. It is a timing thing though as they’ll catch a fish and then head up into the trees before coming back down for more fish. Could be 30 minutes, could be a couple hours.

There are usually posts on the Facebook page “Alaskan Wildlife” when they’re around including wildlife sightings from around the state.

You gave me some great tips...thanks. Yes, I'll go to Ketchikan, Tracy Arm, Juneau, Icy Strait Point, Anchorage, Homer, Kodiak, Sitka. This is why I won't have tons of cash to use on tours. Do most of you think this is too late in the season to see salmon and bears?

There are usually posts on the Facebook page “Alaskan Wildlife” when they’re around including wildlife sightings from around the state.

I just did a search for this Facebook page and can't find it. Do you by chance have a link to it?

I just did a search for this Facebook page and can't find it. Do you by chance have a link to it?

There are two FB pages. Both are good but the one I'm referring to is: Alaskan Wildlife

The other is: Alaska Wildlife. Looks like its a closed group but you should still be able to access the page.

August into September is late for salmon. I wouldn't get my hopes up. You may see silver salmon but that's about it. No salmon, no bears.

No bears, but we were in Seward for the day the middle of September. Our shuttle driver dropped us off at a spot along the bay where at least fifty fishermen (and women) were reeling in tons of salmon. While waiting on the train to head back to Anchorage, a local woman pointed out salmon floundering in a drainage ditch.

We saw 4 bears at Mendenhall in August 2 years ago. A mother and 2 cubs in a stream fishing. She fed the cubs, then chased them up a tree while she caught a few fish for herself. A ranger was there for crowd control. Later, while standing down at the edge of the lake, I turned around and a large black bear was crossing the path between me and the visitors center! Luckily he was apparently not interested in me, because I had no place to run and I'm sure he would have been a better swimmer in the icy water than I would have been.