Koningsdam - I'm Not So Sure

I think it's more of an evolution than a departure.

There are many HAL ships sailing today that have CRAZY color schemes and artwork (and let's ignore some of the atrium art, shall we?). Koningsdam by comparison probably is downright boring in some spots. :)

Yes they've gone from brass but so has the world and modern taste. However the crew is still HAL, the service is still HAL and the ship is more Dutch than any other it seems. Win some, lose some IMO.

But that said some will hate her, just like some hate the Vistas or whatever.

Well stated.

I do recall how some people complained about the Eurodam when she was launched and of those many have come around to say it is their favorite ship now. :)

I am sure when the Zuiderdam was launched there must have been comments about her color schemes!

Then in reading Capt Alberts blog he talked about stainless steel instead of brass.

While I prefer the warmth of wood and brass, I can see using stainless steel, particularly in the areas of the Koningsdam that are supposed to represent stringed instruments.

Personally, I like the departure from brass. To me, brass looks outdated and cheap. It reminds me of my grandmother's (God rest her soul) house.

I applaud the new look. Then again, I'm part of HAL's future client base. Change one particular policy that shall not be mentioned anywhere other than that one thread, and I'll be hooked. ;)

I think it's more of an evolution than a departure.

There are many HAL ships sailing today that have CRAZY color schemes and artwork (and let's ignore some of the atrium art, shall we?). Koningsdam by comparison probably is downright boring in some spots. :)

Yes they've gone from brass but so has the world and modern taste. However the crew is still HAL, the service is still HAL and the ship is more Dutch than any other it seems. Win some, lose some IMO.

But that said some will hate her, just like some hate the Vistas or whatever.

I have sailed Maasdam, Westerdam and Nieuw Amsterdam thus far, so I feel like I have some familiarity with the HAL fleet. I find Koningsdam to be especially enticing. The aesthetics and the amenities of the ship respond to everything I want in a cruise ship, from solo cabins to enhanced pool and spa areas, expanded dining options and lively entertainment. And while I fully recognize that a lot of HAL's traditional clientele may be struggling with Koningsdam, I think it is meant to attract more cruisers like me (a 'young' 48 years old) who are now looking at HAL as their line of choice. In that respect, I'm sure the Pinnacle class vessels will be a huge success and ensure the future of the brand.

Then again, I'm part of HAL's future client base. Change one particular policy that shall not be mentioned anywhere other than that one thread, and I'll be hooked. ;)

We were typing the same thing at the exact same time. And I agree about the other bit, too.

I'm certainly not in the "Never" category (Booked on 2/19). In the end the only opinion that matters to me is my own. I don't book cruises or lines for the things I don't like, I book for the things they offer.

I'm not sure if I will like the Koningsdam's (help me remember that 2nd n) decor but I look forward to the possibility of sailing real itineraries in a cabin built for solos with good service. I am hopeful that will become a lasting benefit of the Koningsdam.

I will try to do most of my HAL cruises on the Prinsendam, R, & S class ships while they are still around with ships that can visit Montreal, Hamilton, and the Kiel Canal, but I recognize that times are changing and while there may be things I don't like about HAL, things are changing with other cruise lines as well.

Roy

On the whole, I like the look of the Koningsdam, with a few reservations, but they are relatively minor. The MDR looks gorgeous, some of the artwork is a bit odd (broken crockery as described by Captain Albert;)) and not what we usually expect to see on a HAL ship. I am following Lisa's thread and hoping she posts many more photos. I have a feeling all reports will be positive.

We've never sailed with HAL before (Crystal most recently), yet we booked the Fjord cruise in May because we loved the thought of sailing on a new ship ... and we love the photos we've seen so far ... chic, contemporary, upbeat interiors.

If HAL's intent is to attract new passengers, it's succeeding.

I started cruising at 40 (almost 20 years ago); back then I was usually one of the "young ones" on their ships. I loved the old Westerdam, the old Noordam, Ryndam, etc. I was shocked at the size of the new Noordam and then the Nieuw Amsterdam when they first came out. Once I sailed on them, they became my two favourite HAL ships. I think each generation has their likes and dislikes and HAL needs to slowly change with the times to attract more "youngsters, i.e. 40+) or they will cease to exist. Having said that, I hope that HAL is able to still operate the "smaller" ships, i.e the Maasdam, which so many passengers still enjoying them.

LaffinVegas is currently on the ship for her first voyage and she is giving lots of comments and pictures. Please check out her thread. She is a good writer and writes well.

If you look at Lisa's pics from their room, for a suite this is a horrible location, neighbors looking straight at you...

Personally, I like the departure from brass. To me, brass looks outdated and cheap. It reminds me of my grandmother's (God rest her soul) house.

I applaud the new look. Then again, I'm part of HAL's future client base. Change one particular policy that shall not be mentioned anywhere other than that one thread, and I'll be hooked. ;)

I'm with you! We are going on our first cruise this summer for a wedding, when we saw the photos of our ship, we wondered what decade we were in. Brass? Orange and yellow? It wouldn't be our first choice, but we also would never choose a cruise based on decor. The wedding couple chose HAL because of the itinerary and service.

I have been following the live review of the Premier sailing and I am a fan of the new color scheme, wish we could see it live.

I hear we are going to get hooked after our first cruise, maybe we will love it enough to give this shop a whirl! Excited for the more modern lines and new decor.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Booked our 1st HAL on Koningsdam in Jan

The pics so far are great. Lisa 's sharing of her cabin and MDR just beautiful.

As a repeat Celebrity cruiser just to clear up a potential misunderstanding -- there was dancing in the Atrium but also in the Sky lounge in S-class. Reflection is the only one that was made smaller. Solstice, Equinox, eclipse and Silhouette (I've been on them all) have giant dance floors. Great performance space.

The contemporary feel of Koningsdam as pics are coming in does resemble S-class but seems even better. Love the idea of the many music venues and miss classical music which Celebrity got rid of.

I do understand the OP's concern and there are a couple of things I would wish for like a bigger airier promenade but I'll enjoy the Koningsdam, I'm sure. Celebrity wasn't perfect either but we loved our sailings.

If you look at Lisa's pics from their room, for a suite this is a horrible location, neighbors looking straight at you...

Nothing new there- same as the cabins near the bump outs on Vista and Signature..... Just no naked romps on the balcony.

Nothing new there- same as the cabins near the bump outs on Vista and Signature..... Just no naked romps on the balcony.

Should be no NAKED anything out on ANY Vista, Signature OR KODM balconies.

This is a design flaw. Look closely at the copped photo taken by Lisa. Below the teak rail, the glass is approximately four inches away from the aluminium upright of the dividing panels.

Physics... Law of Reflection: Angle of reflection equals the angle incidence.

If you lay down out on your lounger and just make a mistake to look at the sea and happen to get a reflection on the glass, you will see whatever person is lying or sitting in the chair. I saw it happen once and I swear this gentleman looked as if he was 'inspecting' for 'little lobsters'. You get the idea. My DW and I had a good laugh thankfully didn't see the passenger again... luckily!

Be aware!

304961683_KODMINTERIORSe5dd70d5.jpgcropbalcony.jpg.afd189f23eea3248789bff222124614d.jpg

271972072_untitled.pnglawofrelfection.png.44687da3c69834bc965a5dd69cdb8ef7.png

Booked our 1st HAL on Koningsdam in Jan

The pics so far are great. Lisa 's sharing of her cabin and MDR just beautiful.

As a repeat Celebrity cruiser just to clear up a potential misunderstanding -- there was dancing in the Atrium but also in the Sky lounge in S-class. Reflection is the only one that was made smaller. Solstice, Equinox, eclipse and Silhouette (I've been on them all) have giant dance floors. Great performance space.

The S-class ships completely did away with the Rendezvous Lounge and with it, its dance floor, tiny as it was. The dance floors on the Sky Lounge are "giant"? From my perspective of 23 cruises on 23 different ships, the size of those floors would easily earn them a spot at the bottom of the ship-dance-floor-size rankings.

Should be no NAKED anything out on ANY Vista, Signature OR KODM balconies.

This is a design flaw. Look closely at the copped photo taken by Lisa. Below the teak rail, the glass is approximately four inches away from the aluminium upright of the dividing panels.

Physics... Law of Reflection: Angle of reflection equals the angle incidence.

If you lay down out on your lounger and just make a mistake to look at the sea and happen to get a reflection on the glass, you will see whatever person is lying or sitting in the chair. I saw it happen once and I swear this gentleman looked as if he was 'inspecting' for 'little lobsters'. You get the idea. My DW and I had a good laugh thankfully didn't see the passenger again... luckily!

Be aware!

Balconies on aft wrap suites on deck 5 are 100% private :D

The S-class ships completely did away with the Rendezvous Lounge and with it, its dance floor, tiny as it was. The dance floors on the Sky Lounge are "giant"? From my perspective of 23 cruises on 23 different ships, the size of those floors would easily earn them a spot at the bottom of the ship-dance-floor-size rankings.

Yes, from my perspective the dance floor is huge in the Sky Lounge. With the Atrium and Quasar, there are lots of opportunities to dance on S-class. We've sailed 5-times on S-class. The Rendezvous is on M-class, older, sometimes remodeled, totally different ships. We've been on those also, as well as other lines.

We look forward to Koningsdam too.

Whatever floats your boat. [emoji572]️

On the whole, I like the look of the Koningsdam, with a few reservations, but they are relatively minor.

Same here. Minor stuff...like the TV being over the couch in those suite pics posted on the other thread. Why in the world did they do that? :confused:

Ever notice that if you rearrange the letters in "Park West" you get "KRAP STEW"?

Excellent and you knew that I would like it!

Can't wait to see one of the guys on his name badge...

"KRAP STEW MANAGER"

Perfect!

We too are on it and it is a stretch to compare to most HAL ships but in its own right it's beautiful. We talked to some staff today and many of the staterooms are not ready yet. There are glitches and lots of things to work on but she is a beauty. To those wondering about the thermal suite size. It's way bigger than any other HAL. Yesterday it was to cold, and tonight there were no bubbles but the good thing was a felt like GOLDILOCKS complaining.