I am hopelessly lost... please help!!

We have done several Disney cruises, and Royal. The most difficult transition was not having Disney's split bathrooms. That said I think you will appreciate the extra bathroom and space by switching to the two Oceanview rooms.

We stayed in 7500 which is identical to 7200. Yes you can fit 6 people in that room, but you better love each other... a lot! 6 is really pushing it.

Enjoy your cruise!

I think there is some confusion among posters since the OP has her teen children in her signature, and mentioned the twin boys with Aspergers, who liked/needed the availability of video games - but they are NOT coming on this cruise.

I'm not confused. She said "and my 3 grand kids" when describing who she's cruising with. I wasn't looking at her signature, and since she brought up worries about no videogames, I figured that she was worried about it because 2 of the grands have aspergers. Until reading today's posts I didn't realized she was concerned for kids that aren't cruising this time.

Ben and Jerry’s

To give you an idea how crowded it was the last sea day, Ben and Jerry’s had a line out onto the Promenade, and they couldn’t keep up with demand for waffle cones so you had to wait as they could only make one at a time and wait for it to cool. I had never seen more than 2 people in Ben and Jerry’s on any other cruises, but it looked like a Dairy Queen on a summer evening after little league.

Wow! We were on Freedom the 20th to the 27th, which all the staff were referring to THE spring break cruise, and it was busy everywhere, but we never encountered that. The lines for the free softserve, however, were insane.

Slight correction there. Juices are only included at breakfast time. Outside of breakfast you have to pay for them.

I don't think that's true.

When you are used to one type of cruise line...the transition is not always smooth.:(

First cruise: Royal, for our honeymoon. 2nd and 3rd cruises, Disney Dream. 4th and 5th, Royal. 6th Dream. 7th Dream. 8th Royal.

That's why I'm trying to help you, because I've done both a few times.

And just for the record.. [not you] but I NEVER said we wanted to NOT feed the kids or get rid of them or sit them in front of video games all day.

For the record, I never said you did. I called the games unstopping. Your grandkids (or I guess you were talking about your kids) aren't games, therefore they aren't unstopping, therefore I wasn't saying anything about THEM or your parenting. And then I went on to talk about the GOOD part of Royal's program. You're doing Royal, you might as well see the GOOD in it. And it's good, to let Royal be the bad guy, because when my son doesn't eat for hours and hours it gets ugly. And I grow tired of making him leave the Oceaneer's Lab.

You seem intensely stressed about this, and you're reading things into stuff that isn't being said. This is a cruise, you're going as just a grandma, which should be FUN for you. There's no reason to stress about all this stuff.

However the more relaxed free style kids options on Disney are very inviting.. and you can plan your whole day around YOUR family's needs and wants VRS what the cruise line says you or your child MUST do in order to be allowed to participate. :confused:

And seeing the GOOD side of the clubs...my son *prefers* the Royal clubs. He *likes* having the counselors playing with the kids, creating all sorts of fun things to do throughout the days. This is enjoyable for him. He never feels negative about participating. These are fun people *playing games* with the kids. It's fun. Like recess all day long.

The times that they choose to close are times I would be, and my kid should be, eating anyway. :)

And I never said, in any way, that you weren't feeding your kids. I can basically see where you could mis-read the "unstopping videogames" as some sort of thing against you (though the words I used are not actually words that meant anything but what I said), but I don't know how you think I said that you didn't feed your kids.

I'm trying to HELP you. :)

So we have pretty much determined that the 3 grand-kids will not be utilizing the kids club at all except maybe on one port day...which is fine, they enjoy more outdoor activities anyway... :).

Well that's sad IMO. At least give them a try. If it was irritating you that they were closed 4 hours a day and they close 2 hours earlier than Disney's, it seems that you guys had adult things you wanted to do. So I'm not sure how it works for you to have the kids with you all day.

Also, I mentioned that the Aquanauts have their own things going on, and said nothing more about them. I don't know the ages of 2 of the grands (you only mentioned that one is a baby and s/he is under 3), so I don't know if they are 6-8 or 9-11 or older or between 3 and 5. So please don't read any knowledge about Aquanauts ages from what I wrote, if that's the age group of the other 2 kids. My son wasn't that young when we went back to Royal after our honeymoon.

As for the nickel and dimming, I have read many reviews regarding this and I am preparing my self for this.. but thankfully I know before hand so I am ready...or else the shock factor would have be in full LOL

The positive spin on "nickel and diming" is that you're paying for what you use. I *despise* that DCL includes soda, because we don't drink it. DS and DH cannot handle HFCS, so American soda doesn't work for us. So it totally works that Royal doesn't include it; I'm not subsidizing the soda drinkers.

And apart from yoga I can't think of anything that I pay for on Royal than I don't pay for on Disney.

Lattes, alcohol...I pay for them on both lines.

Free on both lines: juice from concentrate, normal coffee, normal (though on Freedom the other week it was organic) tea bags, iced tea...

Ben&Jerry's? They don't HAVE that on Disney. I've asked people to check ingredients for the new Vanellope's place on Dream, which took the place of the arcade which my husband and son liked *tremendously*, but no one has gotten that yet. So I'm not sure if it's something we'll even be able to partake in.

Anyway, I don't see nickel and diming because everything that's free on Disney that I use is free on Royal, and everything I pay for on Royal I also pay for on Disney. Or isn't even available on Disney.

Am sad about no rotational dining but sounds like the WJ will be a godsend for the 3 year old and myself..because honestly 3 floors of BUSY/LOUD dinning isn't really my style either.

I feel like you read something backwards? I've been on the top floor and the bottom of the MDR and I've never found it to be loud. It's not like you hear the other floors.

As for loud, do you not find Animator's Palate to be horribly loud? I can't deal in there; if we ever go on DCL again I'll probably wear my ear plugs there. I tune out at dinners on Dream b/c I can barely hear my husband or son, and the rest of the room is just a hum of chatter. (then you add in Crush and I'm done for)

Windjammer on Royal, however, is busy. We could barely hear each other some breakasts, and it can be very hard to find tables. We'll likely start having dinner in there b/c the food selection is greater for vegetarians like us, but I won't be expecting that it will be quiet.

Like the kids clubs, I would at least TRY the MDRs.

Augh, all the fonts and colors and sizes in my reply. Just tried to edit it but I got lost in the "coding" of it. Sorry if it made it hard to read; my reply box kept switching to the fonts other people used and it made my reply really chaotic.

On our four Disney cruises we always had first seating. While tolerable, it was noisy. Our three Freedom class cruises on Royal we again had first seating. Some areas in the MDR were noisier than others, but none were any more so than Disney.

When it comes to noise, I feel you will do fine in the Main Dining Room.

:confused::confused: You have to pay for soda or iced tea? WOW that could get very expensive with 6 folks... How much is a soda? And a drink package is that alcohol...we don't drink so just wondering.

RC offers a soda package, unlimited refills of your souvenir cup, I believe its $8.00 a day pp.

On our four Disney cruises we always had first seating. While tolerable, it was noisy. Our three Freedom class cruises on Royal we again had first seating. Some areas in the MDR were noisier than others, but none were any more so than Disney.

When it comes to noise, I feel you will do fine in the Main Dining Room.

We've noticed a definite drop in the MDR noise level if we stay away from the center, where the the 3-deck opening is.

$40 is not an average:

Sabor's - $15 for lunch $25 for dinner

Giovanni's - $30 for dinner

Chops Steak House - $35 per person dinner

Price includes the tips.

Ok, sorry, the average (dinner) price is $30 not $40. The point I was trying to make was that for a party of 6 it will not be an insignificant cost. Just wanted the OP to be able to plan accordingly by giving a ballpark price.

I thought I had recalled that Chops went up to $40 or $45 but either was mistaken or it did go up but went down again. Just checked one of my upcoming cruises though, and Chops is listed at $39 so perhaps it now varies by ship or sail date? (I don't really care either way.)

Am sad about no rotational dining but sounds like the WJ will be a godsend for the 3 year old and myself..because honestly 3 floors of BUSY/LOUD dinning isn't really my style either. :) [/color][/size][/font][/b]

Just you you are aware, WJ is the busy/loud place at breakfast and lunch but it is quiet for dinner. To me its a nightmare to deal with my 4 and 9 year old in WJ during breakfast and lunch and then try to find a place to sit. I find it difficult to go to the buffet, trying to arrange 2 plates or having to leave the younger ones at a table by themselves to get more or get drinks, etc. We tried the MDR in March for breakfast and lunch for the first time and loved it. It is very relaxing for breakfast and lunch and as others have said, it isn't loud at all for dinner.

First off I would like that thank EVERYONE who took the time to offer their thoughts, reviews, and suggestions. :) Along with my post, youtube, cruise critic and a few other travel books I have been learning a lot. :D...and hopefully will continue to learn a lot more. This may sound sick to some LOL but the research is just as much fun to me as the actual vacation is. :p

We did take the advise and switch to 2 separate cabins...the deciding factor was the poster who sent me the link to the youtube video...thank you so much..I think we would have all been MISERABLE if we would have opened the cabin door and been stuck in that TINY space.

I talked to my daughter and son in law, and after reading what everyone said and reading the RCI website descriptions and after taking into account their kid's personalities they have decided not to send their kids to the camp/club...We actually called Disney to switch cruise lines but the same cabins/date etc was almost $3K more and they just can't come up with that much more in such a sort time. :( BUT at least we have all the information and will be prepared. :)

As for the main dining rooms we viewed several youtube videos and will go on the formal night but other then that we will be frequenting the Windjammer. I am hoping to try Johnny rockets one time. Which leads me to a few more questions.

1.. At Johnny Rockets I have heard the food is free but the drinks are not? Is this correct?

2..The 24 hour room service is not available after 11pm except for a charge? How much is the charge?

I am still not clear in how RCI does their embarking and disembarking process. I am used to receiving an exact boarding time to come to the port and after handing in your paperwork basically walking onto the ship and just simply walking off the ship after 9am..no fuss no muss.

Is there an adults only pool/hot tub zone/area on the ship? If so are the "no kids allowed" rules strictly enforced? <----this tends to be a problem area on the newer Disney ships...

The DreamWorks Breakfast...when are we allowed to make reservations...prior to the cruise or while on the ship? Is there just 1 breakfast per cruise? Do most folks get a reservation when they want one?

The dinners each night..is there a certain theme/nationality each night? For instance on Disney for the 7 night cruise.. typically 1 night is french, 1 is Caribbean, 1 is formal etc..

1.. At Johnny Rockets I have heard the food is free but the drinks are not? Is this correct?

2..The 24 hour room service is not available after 11pm except for a charge? How much is the charge?

I am still not clear in how RCI does their embarking and disembarking process. I am used to receiving an exact boarding time to come to the port and after handing in your paperwork basically walking onto the ship and just simply walking off the ship after 9am..no fuss no muss.

Is there an adults only pool/hot tub zone/area on the ship? If so are the "no kids allowed" rules strictly enforced? <----this tends to be a problem area on the newer Disney ships...

The DreamWorks Breakfast...when are we allowed to make reservations...prior to the cruise or while on the ship? Is there just 1 breakfast per cruise? Do most folks get a reservation when they want one?

The dinners each night..is there a certain theme/nationality each night? For instance on Disney for the 7 night cruise.. typically 1 night is french, 1 is Caribbean, 1 is formal etc..

Johnny Rockets is $8 per person, which includes food and soda.

Room service is available 24 hours, for free, except between midnight and 5am when they charge $4 per order.

The Solarium is limited to ages 16 and over. They are pretty good at policing this.

Room service is available 24 hours, for free, except between midnight and 5am when they charge $4 per order.

The Solarium is limited to ages 16 and over. They are pretty good at policing this.

So the information I have must be wrong?? I have been told they start charging for "free" room service between 11pm-6am..and when you say "is $4 per order" dose that mean per item or per cabin?

I was told all the food at Johnny Rockets was free, just not the drinks/milk shakes?? So what I was told is also wrong?

Sorry I'm not sure what you mean when your talking about the Solarium? If that is RCI's adult only section... then why is 16 and over and not 18 and over? Sorry just trying to understand everything.

:confused::confused: You have to pay for soda or iced tea? WOW that could get very expensive with 6 folks... How much is a soda? And a drink package is that alcohol...we don't drink so just wondering.

Water, iced tea, juices from concentrate at breakfast, hot tea, coffee/decaf, milk are all included in your fare. Soda, fresh juices, specialty coffees, and anything with alcohol is not included. You can pay-as-you-go for sodas, or buy the soda package - details at website. It's around $8 or $10 a day.

There is also a non-alcoholic beverage package which includes bottled water, soda, mocktails, specialty coffees and fresh squeezed juices, at about $20 a fay per person plus gratuity.

Lots of people bring a 6 or 12 pack of soda with them. While technically against the rules, in practice it's usually no problem.

Enjoy.

WOW Bob! Johnny Rockets is $8 p/p now? :rolleyes: We will be on Liberty in September. I guess we haven't eaten at one for a while. Although I should have guessed an increase with the charges at Sea View on Jewel. Thanks. :)

WOW Bob! Johnny Rockets is $8 p/p now? :rolleyes: We will be on Liberty in September. I guess we haven't eaten at one for a while. Although I should have guessed an increase with the charges at Sea View on Jewel. Thanks. :)

Yeah, they threw in 10 cents of soda and raised the price $2. Good deal for them.

We have been on the Freedom and Independence of the seas sisters to the Liberty. They are nice ships. Lots of things for a teenager to do. The flowrider will be new to them for sure.

Looks like many questions have been answered but I have some ideas for your soft drinks.

You can pack some soft drinks in your luggage. We always pick up some plastic 16 oz bottle and pack them away once we arrive in the port city. Also you can buy some of the Royal Soft drink packages. Each package comes with a smart cup that fills at machines in the Windjammer and other locations and they will fill it at the bars as well. You could buy less and share a few refills.

So the information I have must be wrong?? I have been told they start charging for "free" room service between 11pm-6am..and when you say "is $4 per order" dose that mean per item or per cabin?

I was told all the food at Johnny Rockets was free, just not the drinks/milk shakes?? So what I was told is also wrong?

Sorry I'm not sure what you mean when your talking about the Solarium? If that is RCI's adult only section... then why is 16 and over and not 18 and over? Sorry just trying to understand everything. [/size][/font][/b]

Have you looked at the deck plans?

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/ship/decks/deck/home.do?deckCode=11&shipCode=LB&shipProfile=1633&sailDate=1160417&hasNavigation=false

You can see the Solarium here - whirlpools and pool- it isn't adult only, but it is not for kids - 16 and up as was stated. Why? We don't know.

For $3K you can buy A LOT of soda and meals at Johnny Rockets ;)

Some of the information you are getting must be out of date - things change quickly. If you spend time here, you will get to know a few people who ALWAYS have accurate information.

Boarding time - within reason, you can arrive whenever you want. People with more experience on this particular ship and embarkation port can probably tell you specifically what times are best.

Disembarkation - it depends on your flight times. You tell them when your flights are, they assign you a time.

Room service - I don't know for sure - but I am guessing after midnight it would be $4 per order, not per item. I can't imagine anyone would order if it was the other way.

Too late to edit - just wanted to say I was trying to be funny with the line about the Solarium - maybe somebody does know why it isn't adult only.:D

And I am NOT one of those who always have accurate information - we don't cruise frequently enough for that.

Edited by MNfamilycruiser

I talked to my daughter and son in law, and after reading what everyone said and reading the RCI website descriptions and after taking into account their kid's personalities they have decided not to send their kids to the camp/club...We actually called Disney to switch cruise lines but the same cabins/date etc was almost $3K more and they just can't come up with that much more in such a sort time.

[/color][/color]

Regarding the kids club (Adventure Ocean) don't rule it out just because it's not Disney.

I would recommend you all visit with the children the first evening. They do an open house and will give them a free lanyard for their room keys. You can look around, register them and ask all questions you have. You can see the facility and what they offer. Each night you will get a list of times and activities for the next day. My DD used to pick and choose and went to the events she found fun. Let them decide if they like it. Our DD has sailed 4 cruise lines and to this day says RC has always been the most fun.

Just remember that you can send them/collect them at any time during the open hours.

Embarkation is done in groups. When you check in, if you arrive early, you will be given a number to board. Most people receive an email/text with a time to arrive however it is only recommended and you can turn up earlier.

Wedding parties first, then Pinnacle and suites, followed by tier levels. As you have not sailed RC before you will get one of the later numbers.

Once those numbers are called there will come a point that they stop distributing numbers and you can just check in and then get straight on but I'm not sure what time that normally starts.

Disembarkation. You will receive a form in your cabin with info. They do different numbered groups which are based on whether you have flight times, self disembark etc. One of the earliest groups is where you walk all your luggage off yourself. If you don't want to carry all your luggage off then you would get a later number. You will then receive luggage tags based on your number towards the end of the cruise. It will tell you the time that group will be called. Please remember these times are estimates. Sometimes it moves quicker other times slower, but it is the order they call them in.

Hope that helps. Enjoy your cruise

Embarkation is done in groups. When you check in, if you arrive early, you will be given a number to board. Most people receive an email/text with a time to arrive however it is only recommended and you can turn up earlier.

Wedding parties first, then Pinnacle and suites, followed by tier levels. As you have not sailed RC before you will get one of the later numbers.

Once those numbers are called there will come a point that they stop distributing numbers and you can just check in and then get straight on but I'm not sure what time that normally starts.

Soooo can you give me any type of guess? Like for instance boarding on Disney starts around 11:00am...and then the folks who run late usually show up right before the ship is set to sail..around 3:30.. So if we haven't sailed Royal before do you think we will be on the ship in time to eat lunch? Or should we eat lunch before we get to the port?

What is the usual disembarking time frame? Like everyone off the ship by 9:30 at the very latest like on Disney or later?

Also :) if I have researched it right... We are flying from Northern Ca..so we would have to fly into Houston Tx correct? And then how do most folks get to the port?

[/size]

Thank you, thank you, thank you. :D I have been desperately looking for deck plans... and it did aanswer the question aobout the adults pool area...

>>>Solarium

The Solarium pool area is an oasis for guests 18 and older, complete with towering palm trees, hammocks and cantilevered whirlpools that extend twelve feet beyond the sides of the ship. The whirlpools' wide panels of glass allow a breathtaking view from the horizon to the ocean below.<<<

Sounds so relaxing. I can't wait :)

Soooo can you give me any type of guess? Like for instance boarding on Disney starts around 11:00am...and then the folks who run late usually show up right before the ship is set to sail..around 3:30.. So if we haven't sailed Royal before do you think we will be on the ship in time to eat lunch? Or should we eat lunch before we get to the port?

What is the usual disembarking time frame? Like everyone off the ship by 9:30 at the very latest like on Disney or later?

Also :) if I have researched it right... We are flying from Northern Ca..so we would have to fly into Houston Tx correct? And then how do most folks get to the port?

You will find that your embarkation and disembarkation with Royal Caribbean have the same time frames as you describe for Disney.

[/size]

Thank you, thank you, thank you. :D I have been desperately looking for deck plans... and it did aanswer the question aobout the adults pool area...

>>>Solarium

"The Solarium pool area is an oasis for guests 18 and older, complete with towering palm trees, hammocks and cantilevered whirlpools that extend twelve feet beyond the sides of the ship. The whirlpools' wide panels of glass allow a breathtaking view from the horizon to the ocean below."<<<

OMG, the RC website is wrong. Oy.

Solarium is 16 and up. Pretty much always has been. Many would be thrilled if they changed it to 18 and up, but they haven't. :eek:

[/size]

>>>Solarium

The Solarium pool area is an oasis for guests 18 and older, complete with towering palm trees, hammocks and cantilevered whirlpools that extend twelve feet beyond the sides of the ship. The whirlpools' wide panels of glass allow a breathtaking view from the horizon to the ocean below.<<<

You can find lots of information on Royal Caribbean's website - that is where all the deck plans are, also information on staterooms etc. Just be aware....the information on the website is not always correct.

Thank you so much for your extremely helpful insight. When you are used to one type of cruise line...the transition is not always smooth.:(

However the more relaxed free style kids options on Disney are very inviting.. and you can plan your whole day around YOUR family's needs and wants VRS what the cruise line says you or your child MUST do in order to be allowed to participate. :confused: So we have pretty much determined that the 3 grand-kids will not be utilizing the kids club at all except maybe on one port day...which is fine, they enjoy more outdoor activities anyway... :). By the way which port days are they open?? Or is it everyday your in a port?

Am sad about no rotational dining but sounds like the WJ will be a godsend for the 3 year old and myself..because honestly 3 floors of BUSY/LOUD dinning isn't really my style either. :)

I sure hope you go with an open mind, as you and your family may have a great, fun cruise on Liberty of the seas!

If you go with the attitude that if it's not the same as Disney so no sense trying things ( dining room, kids club, etc) you may be setting yourself up for just an OK time, instead of a family cruise adventure to remember.

I am cruising with my daughter's family on Liberty this summer. My grandkids (ages 7 - 10 at cruise time) have cruised on Disney Magic previously, and they loved the activities and the kids club. But they are also excited to have fun in Liberty's kids clubs. We searched cruise critic for daily cruise compasses that listed kids activities, and let them read about it. Guess what - they are excited to try! Each found activities listed that sounded fun. Of course we will take advantage of family time with all the other activities this wonderful ship offers! By including the grandkids in planning activities, they are super excited to sail Royal Caribbean.

I really hope the cruise exceeds you and your family's expectations. No, it's not Disney, but if you go with the right attitude, you may be pleasantly surprised. Please come back after the cruise and let us know how you liked it.

Edited by slc22
typo

We've taken our grandchildren on several different cruises. The first time our pre-teens were adamant that they wanted nothing to do with the kids program. I insisted they go to the orientation program the first night. If they didn't want to go back, that would be their choice. We rarely saw them that cruise. They ate meals with us, but were busting to leave to get back to program. That we're thrilled to get RCCL light up boxers at the end of the cruise for their participation! On our cruise last year, our 6 year old granddaughter Wes in and out of the program. She loved the H2O zone so she spent some day time there, and she spent other day sessions and every evening in the program and loved it. I agree with other posters--get them to try it. You all may be surprised.