Solstice overnight in Yorkey's Knob

The Solstice GBR itinerary for March 2017 shows arrival in Yorkey's Knob at 10AM on March 18th and departure on the 19th at 7PM. The customer service reps at Celebrity did not even know this was a tender port :eek:, let alone be able to answer my question! :confused:

So, friends on CC, will we be able to stay ashore in Cairns for dinner, drinks, and a late evening stroll? Will Celebrity offer late evening shuttles back to Yorkey's Knob from Cairns, and what time would the last tender be on that 1st night?

The Solstice GBR itinerary for March 2017 shows arrival in Yorkey's Knob at 10AM on March 18th and departure on the 19th at 7PM. The customer service reps at Celebrity did not even know this was a tender port :eek:, let alone be able to answer my question! :confused:

So, friends on CC, will we be able to stay ashore in Cairns for dinner, drinks, and a late evening stroll? Will Celebrity offer late evening shuttles back to Yorkey's Knob from Cairns, and what time would the last tender be on that 1st night?

The answer would usually be yes, you can stay in port late. Often you see crew going out for the night, when you are coming back.

You'd have to check with the actual ship for details re time of last tender.

Don't know about shuttles back to Yorkey's Knob from Cairns late at night, but you should be able to share a cab.

what time would the last tender be on that 1st night?

Looking at this years schedule, The Radiance of the Seas was scheduled to overnight at Yorkeys on the 22 Mar 2016. Maybe someone on that cruise could give an indication of how late the tenders ran. Otherwise you may not now until the day.

Isn't the Solstice too big for the Cairns terminal? I thought that's why the bigger ships tendered at YK.

We were on Solstice in March 2015 & it definitely stopped at Yorkeys Knob - yes too big for Cairns terminal.

Whoever started this post should be happy they get an overnight at Cairns/Yorkeys Knob. We arrived at around midday. It was a bit rough and tendering was suspended a couple of times - we didn't make land until 3pm.

Lots of international pax and this stop with a visit to the GBR was to be the highlight of the trip. However unless you'd booked the excursion through Celebrity you missed out. Because of our arrival time (which was the scheduled time) those on Celebrity were the first off & on to fast catamarans out to the reef. They were the last to return too before we departed.

Many disappointed pax - some had helicopter rides booked to the reef, others the Kuranda sky rail. They all missed their tours.

We were on Solstice in March 2015 & it definitely stopped at Yorkeys Knob - yes too big for Cairns terminal.

Whoever started this post should be happy they get an overnight at Cairns/Yorkeys Knob. We arrived at around midday. It was a bit rough and tendering was suspended a couple of times - we didn't make land until 3pm.

Lots of international pax and this stop with a visit to the GBR was to be the highlight of the trip. However unless you'd booked the excursion through Celebrity you missed out. Because of our arrival time (which was the scheduled time) those on Celebrity were the first off & on to fast catamarans out to the reef. They were the last to return too before we departed.

Many disappointed pax - some had helicopter rides booked to the reef, others the Kuranda sky rail. They all missed their tours.

Yep there are some places you just have to suck it up and go on the ship tours, esp to the GBR. Karunda can easily be done privately unless taking the train which of course runs to a strict timetable.

Looking at this years schedule, The Radiance of the Seas was scheduled to overnight at Yorkeys on the 22 Mar 2016. Maybe someone on that cruise could give an indication of how late the tenders ran. Otherwise you may not now until the day.

Great suggestion! Thanks everyone for the input!!

I thought going to places like Port Hedland on the Solstice was the pits but to overnight at Yorkeys Knob well that's extracting wisdom teeth with no anesthetic. We were on the same trip as Team Alpha and the trip into Yorkeys Knob wasn't flash. At least there will be time to get out to the GBR if you can get ashore in time

With an overnight now scheduled, it sounds like Celebrity listened to the complaints following time in port for the March, 2015 cruise. GBR is a definite highlight for many, so I can imagine the passengers' disappointment.

I hope there will be more overnight port visits in future.

I thought going to places like Port Hedland on the Solstice was the pits but to overnight at Yorkeys Knob well that's extracting wisdom teeth with no anesthetic. We were on the same trip as Team Alpha and the trip into Yorkeys Knob wasn't flash. At least there will be time to get out to the GBR if you can get ashore in time

Why?

An overnight at Yorkey's Knob will allow passengers to do lots of things in the area, as well as GBR, weather permitting, if they wish.

Why?

An overnight at Yorkey's Knob will allow passengers to do lots of things in the area, as well as GBR, weather permitting, if they wish.

My point is that to take advantage of the greater Cairns area from Yorkey's knob requires use of the ships shuttle at a cost of $US15 return and around a 20 - 30 minute trip each way into Cairns. If its going to cost for each trip then trips are going to be limited as will any benefit of a longer stay. Once Cairns shops close at 5.00pm there is little to do in town anyway. The only benefit I can see is the opportunity to have a "private excursion" out to the reef for around $A100 per person as opposed to around $US160 per person on board.

Why?

If you check out the itinerary they actually have 3 days , as after the overnight with the 2 days at Yorkeys , they have a day at Port Douglas...only an hour away.:)

My point is that to take advantage of the greater Cairns area from Yorkey's knob requires use of the ships shuttle at a cost of $US15 return and around a 20 - 30 minute trip each way into Cairns. If its going to cost for each trip then trips are going to be limited as will any benefit of a longer stay. Once Cairns shops close at 5.00pm there is little to do in town anyway. The only benefit I can see is the opportunity to have a "private excursion" out to the reef for around $A100 per person as opposed to around $US160 per person on board.

I see your point as a NZ visitor. The shuttle cost in US$ is far too expensive. From memory, there is a public bus which goes from Yorkey's Knob to Cairns CBD. There is lots of do in Cairns. During the day, the waterfront swimming pool is fun for both adults and children. Along the Esplanade, which overlooks the mudflats, when the tide is out, the bird life is amazing. I love Cairns Botanical Gardens with its tropical plants. Further afield, there is Kuranda, Port Douglas and Daintree National Park and Atherton Tableland, all of which can be visited from Cairns if you have a full day there.

If you google "tours from Cairns", you would find that there are tours which would pick you up from the ship, if you didn't wish to drive.

Edited by MMDown Under

If you check out the itinerary they actually have 3 days , as after the overnight with the 2 days at Yorkeys , they have a day at Port Douglas...only an hour away.:)

Thanks David.

Wow - that is a great ship itinerary, as there is so much to see and do in that tropical paradise, a personal favourite.

Wouldn't it be better to go to GBR from Port Douglas?

Now, if they only had that itinerary on the Solstice in winter, I'd be booked!

Edited by MMDown Under

I see your point as a NZ visitor. The shuttle cost in US$ is far too expensive. From memory, there is a public bus which goes from Yorkey's Knob to Cairns CBD. There is lots of do in Cairns. During the day, the waterfront swimming pool is fun for both adults and children. Along the Esplanade, which overlooks the mudflats, when the tide is out, the bird life is amazing. I love Cairns Botanical Gardens with its tropical plants. Further afield, there is Kuranda, Port Douglas and Daintree National Park and Atherton Tableland, all of which can be visited from Cairns if you have a full day there.

If you google "tours from Cairns", you would find that there are tours which would pick you up from the ship, if you didn't wish to drive.

My point is really the fact that after dark there is little for a tourist to do especially if home is a 30 minute bus trip followed by a sea boat which depending upon weather conditions may or may not be running. Life would be easier if the shuttle ran all night and was free as is the case in some other ports but this is where I think things start to unravel. If one wants to commute back and forth from the ship over a couple of days at $US15 a pop it starts to become an expensive port to visit irrespective whether I am kiwi or an American. When we visited last year the only buses present were Celebrity shuttle buses, no public transport at all. I would hate to think what a taxi at night might cost from Cairns.

My point is really the fact that after dark there is little for a tourist to do especially if home is a 30 minute bus trip followed by a sea boat which depending upon weather conditions may or may not be running. Life would be easier if the shuttle ran all night and was free as is the case in some other ports but this is where I think things start to unravel. If one wants to commute back and forth from the ship over a couple of days at $US15 a pop it starts to become an expensive port to visit irrespective whether I am kiwi or an American. When we visited last year the only buses present were Celebrity shuttle buses, no public transport at all. I would hate to think what a taxi at night might cost from Cairns.

Maybe a local Cairns person could better answer your question re the cost of taxis at night.

Thanks David.

Wow - that is a great ship itinerary, as there is so much to see and do in that tropical paradise, a personal favourite.

Wouldn't it be better to go to GBR from Port Douglas?

Now, if they only had that itinerary on the Solstice in winter, I'd be booked!

Celebrity Solstice is running this same GBR itinerary in January '18. However, we are choosing March '17 because the airfare to Sydney would be less expensive.

Celebrity Solstice is running this same GBR itinerary in January '18. However, we are choosing March '17 because the airfare to Sydney would be less expensive.

I would choose March over January, as January is our school/university summer holidays.

This is the climate/rainfall forecast for Cairns -

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/cw_031011.shtml

As you can see, both January and March are hot and humid with the heaviest rainfall of the year, during the cyclone season.

July, August and September are "peak season" during our winter, with the best weather and less rainfall.

I would choose March over January, as January is our school/university summer holidays.

This is the climate/rainfall forecast for Cairns -

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/cw_031011.shtml

As you can see, both January and March are hot and humid with the heaviest rainfall of the year, during the cyclone season.

July, August and September are "peak season" during our winter, with the best weather and less rainfall.

Thank you very much MMDown Under! I love how "friends" on CC are so very helpful :D

Where would May fall in your assessment? That is the other time of year that we are able to travel. We've been told that May begins the "low season" when prices are even less expensive. Unfortunately, we haven't found any cruises to the GBR at that time of year so it would need to be a land based trip.

Thank you very much MMDown Under! I love how "friends" on CC are so very helpful :D

Where would May fall in your assessment? That is the other time of year that we are able to travel. We've been told that May begins the "low season" when prices are even less expensive. Unfortunately, we haven't found any cruises to the GBR at that time of year so it would need to be a land based trip.

Yes, May would be much better.

We on cc have been requesting cruises north outside the cyclone season, to no avail, as ships relocate to Australia during the northern winter and return for your Spring, so a land based trip would be the way to go.

To give you a price comparison, I just read of a land based package at Peppers Beach Club and Spa, Palm Cove for $1390 Aus pp from 2 May - 9 June, book by 27 April, 2016. This is for a 7 night package in a resort spa room, including return flights to Cairns with Virgin; full buffet breakfast daily; return private transfers and free wifi. Upgrade to a one bedroom resort room for $200 Aus pp. Palm Cove is my favourite of the beaches north of Cairns. All tours for the area call there. I have stayed there and used public transport, as well as private car, for trips as far north as beautiful Cape Tribulation.

Yes, May would be much better.

We on cc have been requesting cruises north outside the cyclone season, to no avail, as ships relocate to Australia during the northern winter and return for your Spring, so a land based trip would be the way to go.

To give you a price comparison, I just read of a land based package at Peppers Beach Club and Spa, Palm Cove for $1390 Aus pp from 2 May - 9 June, book by 27 April, 2016. This is for a 7 night package in a resort spa room, including return flights to Cairns with Virgin; full buffet breakfast daily; return private transfers and free wifi. Upgrade to a one bedroom resort room for $200 Aus pp. Palm Cove is my favourite of the beaches north of Cairns. All tours for the area call there. I have stayed there and used public transport, as well as private car, for trips as far north as beautiful Cape Tribulation.

Wow, we've got a lot to consider!! Thank you very, very much for your input!!