Hotels near port in miami

kayjay76

Hi everyone, I'm sure this has been asked before, but which hotel have you stayed at for a night before cruising? Also, has anyone traveled with a large group (20+ people) and gotten a discount at any hotel? Thank you!!

Stayed at the Intercontinental two weeks ago. 10 minutes (tops) to the Port. Nice hotel (although I certainly didn't think it was nice enough to rate as one of the top hotels in Miami on Tripadvisor), which was in a great location about five blocks away from the Bayside(?) mall and the American Airlines Arena.

I wouldn't pay their rack rate (or even their "special" rates from their website) for the experience, but we booked far enough out that we were able to lock in a really good non-refundable rate of about $150/night, which was about half of the promo rates they were offering for the same nights.

Stayed at the Intercontinental two weeks ago. 10 minutes (tops) to the Port. Nice hotel (although I certainly didn't think it was nice enough to rate as one of the top hotels in Miami on Tripadvisor), which was in a great location about five blocks away from the Bayside(?) mall and the American Airlines Arena.

I wouldn't pay their rack rate (or even their "special" rates from their website) for the experience, but we booked far enough out that we were able to lock in a really good non-refundable rate of about $150/night, which was about half of the promo rates they were offering for the same nights.

I second this. It's a nice hotel that is 1. Close to the port and 2. Almost always has rates around $150 on your typical hotel booking sites. The only downside is that it does not have a beach area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

I've stayed at Savoy on South Beach and Intercontinental. We got a great rate for Savoy through LMT. We got a super nice room (maybe it was a suite??). The room was HUGE. We had a separate bedroom and 2 bathrooms. It over looked the pool.

If you're looking for the beach, check out the Royal Palm or those around it. Does your group belong to a Loyalty program with Starwood or Marriott for the most part? We used our Starwood points to stay at the Royal Palm for free and it was great. The hotel was kind of run down in spots but the restaurants and pool and beach were fabulous. It was $500 a night otherwise in March. :eek: But it was free for us and we had a blast on the beach for a day before the cruise. Plus they gave us $100 meal credit because our room wasn't ready for half an hour. If we didn't have time to enjoy the beach, I'd look for those hotels mentioned above. They are all great.

We switch on and off between the Intercontinental and Holiday Inn POM. I use my points for the room, so whichever gives me a better deal and/or has vacancy, that is the one I grab! Can't beat the location of either.

Why does everyone feel a need to stay close to the port? Are you afraid the boat will leave without you or all the taxis will suddenly stop running the day of departure? You're already in the same city ... stay somewhere nice and/or near some fun and relax .. you're on vacation. Sheesh.

Why does everyone feel a need to stay close to the port? Are you afraid the boat will leave without you or all the taxis will suddenly stop running the day of departure? You're already in the same city ... stay somewhere nice and/or near some fun and relax .. you're on vacation. Sheesh.

There is tons to do near the port. If I'm going to Miami the day before I'm staying somewhere near the port so I can walk the water and enjoy the mall and everything else the area has to offer. If you want to stay on the middle of the city that's your choice but many people like to stay in the area of the port... not always because it's close to the ships.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

If you want a hotel near the Port of Miami look for something in the Downtown Miami area. Popular hotels in this area include: Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown, YVE Hotel Miami, JW Marriott Marquis Miami, Courtyard Miami Downtown and the Intercontinental Hotel.

Brickell is right next to Downtown and not far at all from Port Miami, you might find a larger selection of hotels there and also have a view of the city and the bay.

There are a lot of activities to do in this area: Bayside Marketplace, Bayfront Park, and Perez Art Museum Miami.

You can also take advantage of the free light shuttle train, Metromover, that services the Downtown and Brickell area.

As mentioned the Florida Departures Board is where you might want to post this but as someone who visits Miami often and posts on this board this is a list of hotels I would consider. They are at different price points.

Intercontinental (closest to port)

Marriott Marquis (newest of most of the hotels)

Holiday Inn Port of Miami (near Bayside which is a touristy area for restuarants/stores. Is being purchased and supposedly building will be taken down).

Hampton Inn (includes a very nice breakfast and is near Mary Brickell Village which has a wide variety of restaurants including some local one of a kinds and also some shopping)

JW Marriott (a couple of blocks from Mary Brickell Village)

Conrad Hilton (also a couple of blocks from Mary Brickell Village)

Hyatt (a few blocks from Bayside)

There are others both more upscale and a few that might be cheaper but I think this is a good list to start with.

Keith

I always stay at the Marriott Biscayne Bay... one side looks out on to the Port of Miami... nothing better than waking up and seeing your cruise ship!!!

As someone who works in the hotel industry, I suggest calling the hotel and speaking to a sales manager at the hotel. Usually for 10+ rooms they can do a discounted rate.

Thanks everyone, great tips! I'm looking at Spring Hill Suites Miami Airport East/Medical Center 1311 NW 10th Avenue about 9 minutes from port. Has anyone stayed there?

If it were just my husband and I we'd look more for a beach hotel, maybe take a few days before cruise to explore. But we're coming in with over 22 adults the Friday night before our cruise, in the winter and all will be flying in at different times. So not a huge priority to be around anything but close to port for the water, clean large rooms that can accom. 4-5 guests per room.

Thank you again for all the suggestions!!!!