Danish Krona question

I know we need Danish Krona in Copenhagen for tips and a little some here and there. My question is does anybody know if the hotels have an exchange desk? We can get some before we leave but are required to exchange a larger sum that we want. We would do this on the ship but we are in Copenhagen prior to sailing. Know we can use our cc for most items but like tipping with cash. What good would our US dollar be as a tip if the person needs to shag to exchange it.

We do not us ATM's ever anywhere. Have no desire to have a wonderful vacation to come home to an empty bank account again.

Thanks

It sounds like you have had a sad experience with an ATM.

Some here report that they have a separate account set up with an ATM card that is only used when they travel. This prevents any problems with their main financial account.

Few ships offers local currency, so I suggest that you ask a Dane, like a taxi driver, for help to find a bank or exchange kiosk for your needs.

I know we need Danish Krona in Copenhagen for tips and a little some here and there. My question is does anybody know if the hotels have an exchange desk? We can get some before we leave but are required to exchange a larger sum that we want. We would do this on the ship but we are in Copenhagen prior to sailing. Know we can use our cc for most items but like tipping with cash. What good would our US dollar be as a tip if the person needs to shag to exchange it.

We do not us ATM's ever anywhere. Have no desire to have a wonderful vacation to come home to an empty bank account again.

Thanks

Our hotel in Copenhagen changed a small amount of Krone for us as a courtesy. I would not have asked for a large amount as it was not a large chain hotel.

Regarding using ATM's - I use ATM's outside of the U.S., but only ATM's inside of a bank. Banks have security personnel and cameras. They monitor their ATM machines. It does limit the hours and accessibility for getting foreign currency, but is a prudent and practical way to get foreign currency. It has worked for us for all international travel.

Our hotel in Copenhagen changed a small amount of Krone for us as a courtesy. I would not have asked for a large amount as it was not a large chain hotel.

Regarding using ATM's - I use ATM's outside of the U.S., but only ATM's inside of a bank. Banks have security personnel and cameras. They monitor their ATM machines. It does limit the hours and accessibility for getting foreign currency, but is a prudent and practical way to get foreign currency. It has worked for us for all international travel.

Thanks everybody.

It would only be a small amount so think I will call them this week. Our AAA branch said they will get us some when we get our Euro's as most ports do take these. Understand we don't need Rubles for Russia as they take US currency. Do want a little locale for each port for tipping etc. (bottled water, coffee, small locale treats) so maybe our tour guides will also have suggestion for all but lovely Copenhagen which we will do on our own for 1 1/2 days.

Will also look at a ATM type card just with what we feel we will need. Now a days with so much cashless may need to suck it up and move back into the real world. Hey maybe even get a smart phone :D still use a flip.

Will also look at a ATM type card just with what we feel we will need. Now a days with so much cashless may need to suck it up and move back into the real world. Hey maybe even get a smart phone :D still use a flip.

I would urge you to get an ATM card sooner than later. Even though I am in the Dark Ages about a lot of things (at least according to my kids), I'm pretty tech savvy with anything having to do with money and it makes travel so much easier.

(And definitely get a smartphone. My kids dragged me into the 21st Century by replacing my flip phone with a smartphone for Christmas and I absolutely LOVE it!)

I would urge you to get an ATM card sooner than later. Even though I am in the Dark Ages about a lot of things (at least according to my kids), I'm pretty tech savvy with anything having to do with money and it makes travel so much easier.

(And definitely get a smartphone. My kids dragged me into the 21st Century by replacing my flip phone with a smartphone for Christmas and I absolutely LOVE it!)

Thanks will check this out at our credit union (we bank there) and see what they can offer. Or is it better to use a larger banking chain do you think?

I keep saying I will change but hey free phone unlimited US calls and I just got texting because my husband needed it for work.

But I do miss the ability to take real nice pictures at the blink of an eye. I have wished a few times to have that function. I can take a picture but by the time I get ready the shot has passed.

Thanks will check this out at our credit union (we bank there) and see what they can offer. Or is it better to use a larger banking chain do you think?

A credit union will often offer some of the best foreign conversion rates available. (Mine does)

I've used ATM's (bank-owned) just about everwhere... Bonaire, Euro-rail stations, Dublin, with no issues. That said, I do like to start out with some walking-around cash, which I order online from -- https://www.wellsfargo.com/foreign-exchange/index who has good service and fair rates.

Our AAA uses Wells Fargo wonder if it's less to do this ourselves? Didn't know we could look at this on line.