Must do's in Dublin . Where is the Book of Kells

We found the Book to be very interesting but I like history. The level of detail for something done free hand on sheeps skin is amazing. We had early reservations so were pretty in the room alone.

The Book of Kells is well worth seeing. It is located in a library of Trinity University in Dublin. If you take the shuttle from the ship, it will drop you off near the University. Also, you can pick up the HoHo bus there and visit the Guinness brewery and other places in Dublin.

Trinity College is the only college of the University of Dublin ... and they charge admission to the library, but if you arrive late enough they waive the fee :). And going to Dublin and not looking there is a grievous sin indeed.

My usual rule of thumb for visiting somewhere is to do something I cannot do anywhere else.

Personally, my number one visit in the Dublin area (unless I had quite a knowledge of Irish history beforehand) would be Newgrange. Older than the Pyramids, unique in this continent, let alone the country.

Kilmainham is a very emotional site for Irish people, as most families would have had connections with the various attempts at independence over the years, but I'm not sure how much it would interest a casual visitor.

Visit things based on your interests, not other people's lists.

My usual rule of thumb for visiting somewhere is to do something I cannot do anywhere else.

Personally, my number one visit in the Dublin area (unless I had quite a knowledge of Irish history beforehand) would be Newgrange. Older than the Pyramids, unique in this continent, let alone the country.

Kilmainham is a very emotional site for Irish people, as most families would have had connections with the various attempts at independence over the years, but I'm not sure how much it would interest a casual visitor.

Visit things based on your interests, not other people's lists.

+1 for a day trip to Newgrange and the Hill of Tara

Newgrange is a place that has stuck in my head and heart. The fact that visitors are still being allowed inside the tomb makes the visit there special. My husband and I were so moved by our trip to Newgrange that for a while, we were tempted to enter our names in the drawing for the winter solstice experience. OP, be sure you arrange a visit the site with a group or individual that can reserve specific timed access to the tomb.

The Hill of Tara is near enough to Newgrange to combine in a special day's experience. I'm not Irish, yet I was caught up in its beauty and its emotional power.

Finally, I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned the Prehistoric Gold Exhibit in the Irish National Museum in Dublin. Great exhibit! The museum is less than ten minutes walk from Trinity College where the Book of Kells is located.