Advice: flying into FLL at 11:40am

KarimaJ

We are considering fly direct into Fort Lauderdale at 11:40 for our Miami getaway cruise. They suggest arriving at least 2 hours before the departure time of 4:00pm. Does this mean you cannot arrive at 3:00 and still get on? Trying to determine if this is enough time to get luggage, taxi, etc??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You can arrive as late as 3:00 and be allowed on board as long as you check in online at least 24 hours prior to sailing.

I think that you are pushing it though even with a late arrival. BY the time you get your luggage and get headed to Miami it is probably going to be close to 12:30, allow an hour for travel to the port and you are at 1:30, which is fine, but if something goes wrong and your flight is delayed you could easily miss the ship. Even though flying into FLL is probably cheaper than flying into MIA, I think I would do that instead because your travel time is only about 12 - 15 minutes to the port.

No way. After changing baggage carosuels 3 times, we waited nearly 45 minutes for luggage to come out last weekend. If you left from Port Everglades I would maybe consider it as a last resort, but leaving from Miami I would not even consider it an option. One hiccup and you're out of luck.

You can arrive as late as 3:00 and be allowed on board as long as you check in online at least 24 hours prior to sailing.

You cannot arrive as late as 3:00. You must be ONBOARD by 3:00 , meaning you dropped your luggage, paid your corkage, checked in, etc. The ship"s manifest has to be ready for TSA or HS or whichever agency at 3pm and all passengers must be physically on the ship. You cannot arrive at the pier at 3:00.

No way would I attempt this , especially with Florida weather. One T storm delays you fro an hour and you have literally missed the boat.

Edited by Annmeat

We always go to Pt Everglades or Port of Miami the DAY before our cruise....and it's been a lifesaver a couple of times. Why risk missing the boat? We lived in Miami for 21 years and we left because of the traffic....getting to Miami from Ft Lauderdale, especially on a Friday or weekend, now takes over an hour of driving. Not worth it.

You should have no problem if flight is on time. You can book a shuttle service that gets you to port in less than 45 mins. Most shuttle services have pickups every half hr. Just make sure you book it in advance.

You cannot arrive as late as 3:00. You must be ONBOARD by 3:00 , meaning you dropped your luggage, paid your corkage, checked in, etc. The ship"s manifest has to be ready for TSA or HS or whichever agency at 3pm and all passengers must be physically on the ship. You cannot arrive at the pier at 3:00.

No way would I attempt this , especially with Florida weather. One T storm delays you fro an hour and you have literally missed the boat.

Technically you have to be checked in at the terminal 60 minutes prior to sail away, which if you are arriving at the last minute will take about 5 minutes so the OP could arrive at the port at about 10 minutes until 3 and be fine.

Can you make it, yes. Not ideal and barring any issues, but you can.

I would look for a non-stop flight vs. a direct flight though. Too often I have seen where a flight was direct, but they got to the first stop, they ended up changing planes on people to the final destination and what was a direct flight is no longer.

My experience has been as long as you are in the terminal by 2:59 you will make it. I didn't board until 3:20 ish.

Again, it's tight, I wouldn't cut it so close next time for me. But you should be able to as your flight is early enough to make things happen.

I was doing one cruise after another. But different ports, so I had to drive from Port Canaveral to PortMiami drop off the family, and return the rental car. The car return is what slowed me down, the shuttle was packed.

Let us know how it turns out.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't risk losing that vacation to save a few hundred $$$. We always fly in the day before and stay over in miami for this reason. To me it's just extra insurance that costs a little bit... but well worth it.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Edited by res2cue

We are considering fly direct into Fort Lauderdale at 11:40 for our Miami getaway cruise. They suggest arriving at least 2 hours before the departure time of 4:00pm. Does this mean you cannot arrive at 3:00 and still get on? Trying to determine if this is enough time to get luggage, taxi, etc??

Agree with others that your plan will probably work, but it leaves no cushion for delays or cancellations related to mechanical or weather issues. We always fly Southwest to FLL, but we fly the day before and head straight to Miami for the night. Sounds like you may not have booked yet. If not, I'd look at flights as early as possible the day before.

Why start your vacation with possible stress? There are too many variables for not making the ship- plane delayed by weather or mechanical issue, accident on the highway from FLL to Miami, luggage takes a long time to come out....

You don't say what month you are sailing, or from where. We have had to circle FLL due to thunderstorm activity. We have sat on a runway for over 2 hours waiting to take-off at our home airport. We can been delayed in NY if someone even spits on the runway. Even if a shuttle/car service was waiting for you, I wouldn't take a chance. Try to take an earlier flight, or fly in the day before. Not worth an ulcer worrying about making the ship.

We are flying thanksgiving week from either MA or CT. Given the high travel week we were trying to find a reasonable priced flight. But I don't think I will chance it given possible weather issues. Thanks!!

We are flying thanksgiving week from either MA or CT. Given the high travel week we were trying to find a reasonable priced flight. But I don't think I will chance it given possible weather issues. Thanks!!

If you can do it work wise, take a look at what it will costs to change your travel days. Arrive a day earlier and go home a day later. The two nights of hotels, (or possibly one) may be less expensive than flying when you are trying.