Lack Of Tipping In The Diamond Lounge

Evaluate yourself first for being so angry and opinionated. I don't tip in the CL or D lounge either. It is a "gift / reward" for reaching a level. When someone gives me a gift it is improper to tip them.

Have you at all considered that it is RCI that gave you the gift and that the server in the lounge is simply delivering it?

Evaluate yourself first for being so angry and opinionated. I don't tip in the CL or D lounge either. It is a "gift / reward" for reaching a level. When someone gives me a gift it is improper to tip them.

I'm genuinely interested in this because tipping is not so prevalent in my country so some of the nuances may escape me. What do you perceive as being improper about tipping in this circumstance?

I'm assuming that improper means the same there as it does here, ie against social rules or morals, so different to just 'not required' or 'unexpected'.

So let RCl tip them.

While you suck up the freebie drink, and ignore the person that made the drink, brought it to you, and cleans up after you? Seriously? I just want to be fair to you in my head before I form my opinion of you.

We started out tipping at the end of the cruise, then realized we had more than a few waiters over the course of the cruise, including the bartender when we sat at the bar in the CL on Radiance class, so we started tipping 5 bucks for the couple of drinks we had each night. Later, since we were alternating so much between DL and CL, we decided that was even better to tip 2 bucks for each set of 2 drinks so we could make sure we tipped each person that waited on us. I now bring a pack (50.00) of one dollar bills for each cruise. ;)

Now, it may be they all pool their tips and share in the pot, but just wanted to be sure

just in case they did not.

We have pretty much come to the conclusion you did. When we were first Diamond, we tipped at the end of the evening, but since we didn't always have the same bartender, we decided to tip as they brought each drink - for us $2 seemed a fair amount. The amount we tipped the concierge varied depending our interaction - there have been several we felt earned sizable tips.

Recently we have used the three free drinks at other bars, and we have continued the practice of tipping for each drink. On our recent Enchantment cruise, my husband saw the bartender put the tip in a cup, so obviously they are sharing, but how they handle it is up to them - we feel it's up to us to show our appreciation for their delivering our free drinks.

I know tipping is a very personal subject - I'm just outlining what works for us, not recommending what others should do.

Margy

We use the prepaid gratuities and then tip cash on the last night of the cruise (in envelopes) for good service.

We've found the service is always great in the lounges. We have found that the servers are usually all there on the last night and if not we leave an envelope with the person's name on it with the concierge. I don't plan to change our approach.

I'm pretty astounded that other people in the lounge would be making assumptions about whether or not we are tipping because we don't give a bill with each drink. It really is not their business.

I too am interested which sense of propriety this type of tip violates?

Maybe its just the way it's phrased as if it was some kind on incontrovertable truth, an absolute that makes it seem like you are referring to some kind of golden rule that has been breached.

We use the prepaid gratuities and then tip cash on the last night of the cruise (in envelopes) for good service.

We've found the service is always great in the lounges. We have found that the servers are usually all there on the last night and if not we leave an envelope with the person's name on it with the concierge. I don't plan to change our approach.

I'm pretty astounded that other people in the lounge would be making assumptions about whether or not we are tipping because we don't give a bill with each drink. It really is not their business.

I hear you, and totally agree.

I just thought the thread had migrated to people saying it was just plain wrong to tip because its one of the free lounges...

While you suck up the freebie drink, and ignore the person that made the drink, brought it to you, and cleans up after you? Seriously? I just want to be fair to you in my head before I form my opinion of you.

Just what I was thinking...

Not looking forward to meeting these folk on our first proper Royal Caribbean cruise.

I don't see why anyone is getting angry at the cruisers deciding not to tip diamond lounge employees. As RCL regulars they have likely paid their general gratuities throughout their cruise life and have probably helped many staff along the way.

Maybe you should get angry at the cruiselines instead for not paying a fair wage...just a thought.

I don't see why anyone is getting angry at the cruisers deciding not to tip diamond lounge employees. As RCL regulars they have likely paid their general gratuities throughout their cruise life and have probably helped many staff along the way.

Maybe you should get angry at the cruiselines instead for not paying a fair wage...just a thought.

I don't see anyone getting angry with those who choose not to tip.

I think its just the contrived, spurious reasons they cite for not tipping which they also use to condemn those who choose to tip...

Like I care about your opinion of me:rolleyes:

I've already done all the tipping I'm going to do in the form of the daily tips added to my account. The bar tenders in the lounge are in the tipping pool already. Why some people feel the need to impose their opinion on others with name calling or guilt speaks volumes about you not me. Respecting some else opinion is the sign of a secure, nice person.

I too am interested which sense of propriety this type of tip violates?

Maybe its just the way it's phrased as if it was some kind on incontrovertable truth, an absolute that makes it seem like you are referring to some kind of golden rule that has been breached.

Not at all what I said. I stated that when I receive a gift I don't think it's proper to tip. I say thank you and act like I like the gift (even if I don't) because I don't want to hurt your feelings. It's RCL's job to pay their crew and not make their customers feel guilty upon receiving gift they earned with their loyalty.

As RCL regulars they have likely paid their general gratuities throughout their cruise life and have probably helped many staff along the way.

Thank you. I've eaten at Chili's so much in my life....by your helpful logic....I, too, no longer need to tip. Trust me, I've paid my general gratuities, been a waiter for them, and surely helped many Chili's staff along the way. You just saved me a bundle, good buddy.

To be sure I do this correctly, should I provide a list of all the many different locations where I've eaten, so my current waiter/waitress will know where to get get their portion of my previously spent tips for their current work and efforts? Or, do I just tell them that I'm exempt? I bet it's the exempt! Right?! I can't wait to smile at them and excitedly shout "I'm exempt!" as I dig through my pocket change to hand over the exact amount of the actual bill.

You've opened my eyes to a lifestyle I've not been aware of!

Okay, okay....my post was tongue in cheek. However, I hope by looking at this from a different perspective you may notice that the person in front of you didn't get any benefit from your past tipping. Surely, nothing I type will change your opinion...but if you normally tip bar staff...it seems appropriate to tip them even when the drink is free. In the end, your choices don't effect me, so have fantastic cruises whichever way you go about it.

Thank you. I've eaten at Chili's so much in my life....by your helpful logic....I, too, no longer need to tip. Trust me, I've paid my general gratuities, been a waiter for them, and surely helped many Chili's staff along the way. You just saved me a bundle, good buddy.

To be sure I do this correctly, should I provide a list of all the many different locations where I've eaten, so my current waiter/waitress will know where to get get their portion of my previously spent tips for their current work and efforts? Or, do I just tell them that I'm exempt? I bet it's the exempt! Right?! I can't wait to smile at them and excitedly shout "I'm exempt!" as I dig through my pocket change to hand over the exact amount of the actual bill.

You've opened my eyes to a lifestyle I've not been aware of!

Okay, okay....my post was tongue in cheek. However, I hope by looking at this from a different perspective you may notice that the person in front of you didn't get any benefit from your past tipping. Surely, nothing I type will change your opinion...but if you normally tip bar staff...it seems appropriate to tip them even when the drink is free. In the end, your choices don't effect me, so have fantastic cruises whichever way you go about it.

Nice one!

Just watching TV and there is a thing about staff on cruise ships earning only $800-1000 per month before tips...

I know this will anger some people and I hope it does. We just returned from Serenade of The Seas 11-Night Southern Caribbean Cruise. Before dinner every night we went to the Diamond Lounge to enjoy a free drink and met several new friends and enjoyed the benefits of cruising a lot. Here's my anger: We were questioned on 2 different occasions as to why we were tipping the bartender when he served us. Seriously people!!!! The first gentlemen stated it was unnecessary and not recommended. Then a lady informed me she traveled and paid enough over the years that RCCL owed her and she would never think of tipping in the Diamond Lounge. To some my anger might be pathetic or petty, but these crew members were more than accommodating from what I observed and if tipping a few dollars on a free drink is too much for some people than maybe they should reevaluate themselves.

I normally tip $1 for every drink in the lounges or when using the three on my sea pass card in the bars on board. I too have been challenged by several people questioning why I tip under those circumstances. The reality is I appreciate the service and the folks who provide that service and choose to recognize it with a tip. I realize tipping is difficult for some cultures to embrace, but I think that the Americans who disdain the practice are just plain cheap. I don't care how much you paid for your cruise or how many cruises you have taken. The bottom line is that your server is there trying to make a living and not tipping is unacceptable.