Lack Of Tipping In The Diamond Lounge

If it is a loyalty reward, I don't think they need to give guidelines on tipping. I suppose they could suggest it for suites, but what happens now with the genies? Do you still tip the concierge?

I do always tip the bar servers, but the amount I tip the concierge has varied, depending on how helpful/pleasant they were. Anywhere from zero to $75. Sometimes the concierge does things for you and chats and sometimes they are preoccupied with others most of the time. It is very variable.

I would guess that, on average, $50 for a week would be guideline-ish, if he was pleasant and helped you with a few problems.

Interesting that you would suggest $50 as a guideline. That is actually what we did but I read on another thread where people were suggesting minimum of $100. So, then I felt badly for the $50 I left the concierge on my last 2 cruises.

I know this will anger some people and I hope it does. We just returned from Serenade of The Seas 11-Night Southern Caribbean Cruise. Before dinner every night we went to the Diamond Lounge to enjoy a free drink and met several new friends and enjoyed the benefits of cruising a lot. Here's my anger: We were questioned on 2 different occasions as to why we were tipping the bartender when he served us. Seriously people!!!! The first gentlemen stated it was unnecessary and not recommended. Then a lady informed me she traveled and paid enough over the years that RCCL owed her and she would never think of tipping in the Diamond Lounge. To some my anger might be pathetic or petty, but these crew members were more than accommodating from what I observed and if tipping a few dollars on a free drink is too much for some people than maybe they should reevaluate themselves.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by ctsharpie05

I am the only person who is picking up that there is proportion of 'Diamond and above' folks on Royal Caribbean who have an uppity, self-important sense of either entitlement or pompousness?

Don't get me wrong, I see value in really appreciating your perks and your sense of loyalty to Royal Caribbean. Absolutely nothing wrong with feeling its nice to be appreciated as intimate and welcomed contributors to the overall success of the Royal Caribbean enterprise. Even wearing badges to show this is cool.

We are booked in to a suite* (on the explorer) and I worry that we might not like the type of folk that moan about others tipping or inflate their ego with their 'status points'....I think (hope) they must be in the minority but in social situations people like that really piss me off...

*We (6 of us) are in a suite. It doesn't mean we look down on anyone or anything. I am not better than anyone else. I have been fortunate, had a few lucky breaks and worked hard in my life. I could even, quietly, consider myself a success considering where I started in life. But this pompous sense of self-rightousness I am beginning to dread encountering on Royal Caribbean...

Go with an open mind. You never know what adventures await.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Not necessary to bring a wad of $1 bills. Guest services will be happy to make change for you. Servers in the DL and CL do not get the 18% per drink that other bartenders get and IMO should be rewarded for their service.

This isn't actually correct. The way it's set up now the servers work in groups so, for instance, the pool bar/sky bar/theatre (say) are all in the same tip pool. Whilst the servers in the CL/DL will be working there for a week or so - and only in the evenings - they are still part of the pool to which they belong during the day. Our bar servers in the CL on Radiance recently worked in different bars during the day and belonged to that tip pool

The servers in the DL/CL actually have access to better tips on the week they are working there as, generally, those people who drink in the lounges will tip extra - despite what some on this thread say. However, it is wrong to say that because they are in the lounge for a week they will be receiving no other tips as they are also working as part of a team in other parts of the ship outside lounge hours.

Interesting that you would suggest $50 as a guideline. That is actually what we did but I read on another thread where people were suggesting minimum of $100. So, then I felt badly for the $50 I left the concierge on my last 2 cruises.

Is the $50 per person or per couple?

I am the only person who is picking up that there is proportion of 'Diamond and above' folks on Royal Caribbean who have an uppity, self-important sense of either entitlement or pompousness?

Don't get me wrong, I see value in really appreciating your perks and your sense of loyalty to Royal Caribbean. Absolutely nothing wrong with feeling its nice to be appreciated as intimate and welcomed contributors to the overall success of the Royal Caribbean enterprise. Even wearing badges to show this is cool.

We are booked in to a suite* (on the explorer) and I worry that we might not like the type of folk that moan about others tipping or inflate their ego with their 'status points'....I think (hope) they must be in the minority but in social situations people like that really piss me off...

*We (6 of us) are in a suite. It doesn't mean we look down on anyone or anything. I am not better than anyone else. I have been fortunate, had a few lucky breaks and worked hard in my life. I could even, quietly, consider myself a success considering where I started in life. But this pompous sense of self-rightousness I am beginning to dread encountering on Royal Caribbean...

I have not yet reached a higher status, but do sail in suites more of late. Do not be put off by some comments. We frequent the CL/SL when on the ships. We have met a few that would consider themselves elitist. However, most of them are very, very nice and we enjoy speaking with them. We actually ended up sharing some of the same excursions and had a blast.

As far as tipping, I used to tip the waiters and bartenders in the lounge at the end of the week, but on the Oasis, we had different staff the second evening so now I tip at the end of each night. I still tip the concierge at the end of the week. I only tipped the concierge at the beginning once when he pre-arranged an in-suite party and a cabana for us.

Thanks we will also tip at the bars as well. Ontario Cruiser

I just thought that I would explain the simple practicality of it.

When you BUY a drink at a bar, the server rings up the sale with the price of the drink and an automatic 18% gratuity on that precise amount.

When you get a free drink, either nothing is processed or it is processed as zero. 18% of zero is zero, i.e., nothing is charged to you and nothing goes to the server.

S/He gets only what you choose to give.

Is the $50 per person or per couple?

It was for a couple but my hubby only met her once which I think was on about the 5th day. She actually called our room to check if he needed anything because she hadn't met him.

That's what we thought too but on our last cruise (Explorer), when I tipped the waiter on our first night he kind of looked at me like "what's this for". I then watched as he went to talk to the other waiter, showed him the tip, they talked a little, then I saw him open a cabinet and put it in. It almost felt awkward. I did not witness anyone else tipping so rather than continue to tip by the drink, we waited for the last night and tipped each waiter. Since the same two worked the diamond lounge every night, that worked out ok.

Any waiter that looks at money and wonders what it's for must be very new. I don't think he'll do that again.

They like tips. And I don't try to fold it all up and be sneaky. I just hand them the money and say, 'thank you!'

If you prefer to tip at the end that's fine, but don't feel awkward.

My guess goes in a different direction.

He didn't know if he was supposed to keep it (pocket it) or put it in a shared pot somewhere. Apparently, the other guy gave him the information he needed.

Any waiter that looks at money and wonders what it's for must be very new. I don't think he'll do that again.

They like tips. And I don't try to fold it all up and be sneaky. I just hand them the money and say, 'thank you!'

If you prefer to tip at the end that's fine, but don't feel awkward.

Hmmm. Never thought of it as being sneaky by folding up the tip and discreetly handing it over in a handshake, so as not to embarrass or draw attention to those around us. It's a personal thing. We are not passing judgment on those that do not tip, however believe strongly in tipping for each drink.

I really don't most loyalty members are tipping the concierge $100 on average. I bet most don't tip. I don't think you have to if he does nothing for you or if he isn't friendly.

I think $50 for a couple for a week is perfectly fine. If you're making his life a misery give him more.

This isn't actually correct. The way it's set up now the servers work in groups so, for instance, the pool bar/sky bar/theatre (say) are all in the same tip pool. Whilst the servers in the CL/DL will be working there for a week or so - and only in the evenings - they are still part of the pool to which they belong during the day. Our bar servers in the CL on Radiance recently worked in different bars during the day and belonged to that tip pool

The servers in the DL/CL actually have access to better tips on the week they are working there as, generally, those people who drink in the lounges will tip extra - despite what some on this thread say. However, it is wrong to say that because they are in the lounge for a week they will be receiving no other tips as they are also working as part of a team in other parts of the ship outside lounge hours.

But they are not being compensated for the work that they do in the Lounge unless the passenger compensates them there.

We were on Serenade a couple of week ago and chose to spend our time in the Diamond Lounge with friends. The service we received was among the best of any Diamond Lounge I have been in. I am not a fan of daily tipping or by the drink tipping in the lounge. Generally, and it was this way on Serenade, the servers are there every day. So we tipped early and again late in the cruise. We tipped very well, and it was well deserved.

As for some of the comments about not seeing people tip, we tend to tip very discretely. I don't feel I need to call attention to myself tipping someone for good service. So you may not have seen me tip, but rest assured, I did.

You may want to make it more obvious as it is becoming quite clear that some people, at least some posting on this thread, are watching very carefully. I cannot imagine myself sitting in the DL and spending my time purposefully watching to see if other people are tipping. You have no need to assure anyone here that you tipped. That is between your waiter, you, and your conscience.

Putting the three drinks on our seapasses is one of the best things that RCI has done for me. We get to go to bars around the ship and not be confined to a place where some clearly have their noses in places where they don't belong.:rolleyes:

My guess goes in a different direction.

He didn't know if he was supposed to keep it (pocket it) or put it in a shared pot somewhere. Apparently, the other guy gave him the information he needed.

Yes, I just figure he was new to the lounge. I always ask if they pool and they always say yes. Sometimes one server will make all the drinks but I end up tipping the other one.

At the DL lounge we tip $1 a drink to the server. Usually there are several servers that get drinks so it made no sense on giving a tip at the end because what do you give? So instead we tip during that way it's fair for all servers. Plus they make sure they ask if we need anything as they walk by.

Hmmm. Never thought of it as being sneaky by folding up the tip and discreetly handing it over in a handshake, so as not to embarrass or draw attention to those around us. It's a personal thing. We are not passing judgment on those that do not tip, however believe strongly in tipping for each drink.

The reason I said that is because many people post that they feel "awkward" about tipping. My point is that you're not being rude or impolite if you just hand them the money and say thanks. I'm not saying to wave your tip around, just that one shouldn't feel awkward.

You may want to make it more obvious as it is becoming quite clear that some people, at least some posting on this thread, are watching very carefully. I cannot imagine myself sitting in the DL and spending my time purposefully watching to see if other people are tipping. You have no need to assure anyone here that you tipped. That is between your waiter, you, and your conscience.

Although this thread was started by other lounge members speaking to OP about it directly to discourage him from tipping. I cannot imagine having that conversation!

At the DL lounge we tip $1 a drink to the server. Usually there are several servers that get drinks so it made no sense on giving a tip at the end because what do you give? So instead we tip during that way it's fair for all servers. Plus they make sure they ask if we need anything as they walk by.

If I tip at the end I guesstimate how many drinks I've had and go by that. I round up.

Putting the three drinks on our seapasses is one of the best things that RCI has done for me. We get to go to bars around the ship and not be confined to a place where some clearly have their noses in places where they don't belong.:rolleyes:

I think people are mentioning tipping with good intentions. A lot of people are unsure of what to do or how much is average.

I think people are mentioning tipping with good intentions. A lot of people are unsure of what to do or how much is average.

I hope you are right. We just have too many topics on these boards where the attitude seems to be if you don't do it my way it is the wrong way. And too many people watching to see if people do it their way which is, of course, the "right" way.

If I tip at the end I guesstimate how many drinks I've had and go by that. I round up.

If I can remember how many drinks the server has given me over the course of 7 days or longer of the cruise then they didn't serve enough. :eek:

My friends and I don't palm, we just put it on the tray. We find it easier to tip as we go. We ran out of ones and had to have them give us change too. LOL:D

I know this will anger some people and I hope it does. We just returned from Serenade of The Seas 11-Night Southern Caribbean Cruise. Before dinner every night we went to the Diamond Lounge to enjoy a free drink and met several new friends and enjoyed the benefits of cruising a lot. Here's my anger: We were questioned on 2 different occasions as to why we were tipping the bartender when he served us. Seriously people!!!! The first gentlemen stated it was unnecessary and not recommended. Then a lady informed me she traveled and paid enough over the years that RCCL owed her and she would never think of tipping in the Diamond Lounge. To some my anger might be pathetic or petty, but these crew members were more than accommodating from what I observed and if tipping a few dollars on a free drink is too much for some people than maybe they should reevaluate themselves.

I understand everyone has different views on tipping but I always tip the server because the drinks are free. Yes I have more than 25 times and I have only started cruising in 2001 and all my cruises were 6 days or more, but nobody owes me anything. The free drinks are a benefit and I normally go to the diamond lounge and use my drink package that I paid for. I like the ambiance of the lounge and the other cruisers I meet. I however have issue at any bar when I have a dollar or two on the bar and I'm told that the tip is included. I'm not a wealthy person but I know these people put in 12 to 15 hours a day and the extra tips really make a difference. I will never pass judgement on those that don't leave a tip because I don't know their financial situation. I leave with $150 in one dollar bills for bar tips and at this point of my life $150 is only $20 extra per day which is not a hardship and feel the staff on these ships work so hard and definitely deserve it and appreciate it.

Don't judge me because I tip because I don't judge you because you don't.

So what did you say those people?

At the end of the day as long as I do right by others and can live with my actions I don't spend too much time worrying about what others do. Spending energy on things that I can't control or change is mostly energy wasted.

I actually laughed at both of them. I didn't make a big scene because that wouldn't have proven anything. BTW, we tipped with every drink we received. It just made it easier that way.

if tipping a few dollars on a free drink is too much for some people than maybe they should reevaluate themselves.

Evaluate yourself first for being so angry and opinionated. I don't tip in the CL or D lounge either. It is a "gift / reward" for reaching a level. When someone gives me a gift it is improper to tip them.