Pricing - jumping ship to another cruiseline

Freespir8

I am trying to book our annual "Sisters Cruise" for next year and I am in sticker shock at the pricing. We have been cruising in suites on NCL exclusively for quite some time. The average cost per person has ranged anywhere from $1200 to $1895 per person for the Dawn and Jewel class ships. The $1895 is actually the highest we have paid and that was for our upcoming cruise on the Jewel. We received the UDP, UBP (although we don't drink), free gratuities and 200 OBC so we were willing to pay it.

Doing some price comparison today, the prices are averaging 2300-2600 per person for the same cruise and the perks are not nearly as good. I am so sad because I love NCL and want to continue sailing with them but the prices are forcing us to look elsewhere. My husband and I ended up booking our Alaska cruise for 2017 on Princess because NCL was $3000.00 more for the same cruisetour. We also won't be purchasing more cruisenext awards because we want to keep our options open now. We totally understand that increases would happen but not to this extent. I know that NCL reads these boards and I am wondering if there are other loyal customers that may be feeling the same way.

I would be interested in hearing your experience.

I think you'll find the NCL prices are in line with other cruiseline prices for a comparable ship. Actually for us NCL was cheaper for a balcony compared to CCL and the Getaway has much more to offer during sea days.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

I was looking for a cruise in the med for Christmas 2016.

Looked at the NCL Spirit, 11,000 for a suite, no haven.

I ended up booking MSC in the yacht Club, for about 5000.

Same dates and pretty much the same itinerary.

Lois

Ive currently got a good deal for next October and using a cruise next

I have one cruise next left so will be taking at least one more ncl cruise

Fwiw. When we take the kids on cruises we only do true ksf deals so if ncl wants to keep us they should continue those deals but.....

As seasoned cruisers we will look elsewhere because we look at

Price

Ports

Dates

In no particular order so any cruise line will do

For our Med cruise 2012 we paid $3000 more in total for the 6 of us in order to sail the ruby princess where we were treated like royalty

We had 2 ovs

A big screen muts that showed incredible concerts and movies

A nice crowd of pax

Great food

Great free pizza

Attentive service

I could go n and on

That trip was about ports and dates not price but we still got a good deal on princess

I wouldn't even consider the ncl spirit at $3000 lower....and yes yes I know what an incredible ship everyone thinks it is but we wanted a nicer experience

Even at the buffet they bring your drinks right to your table. Nice

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6

I was looking for a cruise in the med for Christmas 2016.

Looked at the NCL Spirit, 11,000 for a suite, no haven.

I ended up booking MSC in the yacht Club, for about 5000.

Same dates and pretty much the same itinerary.

Lois

Strange I see the Christmas cruise on the spirit for 3999 And ncl are all 12 days and msc I see only 7 day cruises. Am I missing something? To see MSC half the price of another cruise is shocking to me.

Edited by res2cue

Ive currently got a good deal for next October and using a cruise next

I have one cruise next left so will be taking at least one more ncl cruise

Fwiw. When we take the kids on cruises we only do true ksf deals so if ncl wants to keep us they should continue those deals but.....

As seasoned cruisers we will look elsewhere because we look at

Price

Ports

Dates

In no particular order so any cruise line will do

For our Med cruise 2012 we paid $3000 more in total for the 6 of us in order to sail the ruby princess where we were treated like royalty

We had 2 ovs

A big screen muts that showed incredible concerts and movies

A nice crowd of pax

Great food

Great free pizza

Attentive service

I could go n and on

That trip was about ports and dates not price but we still got a good deal on princess

I wouldn't even consider the ncl spirit at $3000 lower....and yes yes I know what an incredible ship everyone thinks it is but we wanted a nicer experience

Even at the buffet they bring your drinks right to your table. Nice

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We still have 2 CruiseNext awards left too so we will need to keep looking and hoping to find a deal. ;) Thanks for your input!

I have one more "future cruise certificate" to use and will apply it next year. After that, I too will be looking elsewhere.

Here's another example of NCL prices that are so outrageous:

25 days on HAL, Mediterranean, May 2016, Balcony: $1,699. per person.

20 days on NCL, Mediterranean, May 2016, Balcony: $4,199. per person.

I agree with the OP. NCL has changed their pricing policy and, in their attempt to "push the envelope", they've caused me to look elsewhere and I've found that there are other lines offering so much more for less.

There are so many other lines that treat you as well or better; I've learned my lesson.

I think you'll find the NCL prices are in line with other cruiseline prices for a comparable ship. Actually for us NCL was cheaper for a balcony compared to CCL and the Getaway has much more to offer during sea days.

I think the huge increase is in the suite category.

I am trying to book our annual "Sisters Cruise" for next year and I am in sticker shock at the pricing. We have been cruising in suites on NCL exclusively for quite some time. The average cost per person has ranged anywhere from $1200 to $1895 per person for the Dawn and Jewel class ships. The $1895 is actually the highest we have paid and that was for our upcoming cruise on the Jewel. We received the UDP, UBP (although we don't drink), free gratuities and 200 OBC so we were willing to pay it.

Doing some price comparison today, the prices are averaging 2300-2600 per person for the same cruise and the perks are not nearly as good. I am so sad because I love NCL and want to continue sailing with them but the prices are forcing us to look elsewhere. My husband and I ended up booking our Alaska cruise for 2017 on Princess because NCL was $3000.00 more for the same cruisetour. We also won't be purchasing more cruisenext awards because we want to keep our options open now. We totally understand that increases would happen but not to this extent. I know that NCL reads these boards and I am wondering if there are other loyal customers that may be feeling the same way.

Welcome to the game. Many are playing musical chairs - l mean musical cruise lines these days.

Edited by 2ManyCruises

It's good to shop around. We have no loyalty to any brand over another, but lately it seems we keep booking NCL because it keeps meeting our needs. Still though, every single vacation we book we start from scratch. It pays to compare. Good luck!

I have been comparing as well, and usually NCL is still cheaper. Of course, it depends on the sail date, etc. The suite prices on NCL have jumped a lot. We could sail in a 2-bedroom suite during the off season - say the beginning of December, for around $4500 for 3 of us. It would cost about $2,000 more now. Of course, you get the UBP and dining packages for free, so the increase isn't really $2,000, but still ... that said, the other cruise lines have increased as well. For our upcoming New Year's cruise on the Epic, we priced Royal, MSC, and Princess, and all cost more than the NCL cruise, and without the beverage package. It really just depends on the sailing date!

I am finding that NCL right now is less expensive than any of the other mass market lines in the Caribbean.

Alaska is really an unfair comparison because Princess has so much infrastructure built on shore (Including hotels, restaurants, and even their own train cars and buses) that they can do cruise tours cheaper than NCL or CCL.

All I know is NCL was cheaper for 7 days to Bermuda than RCCL was for 5 days plus we got the drink package. It was a no brainer, and we have an enormous aft balcony. So we are doing our first NCL cruise after exclusively sailing RCCL.

I have been one of those who always shops around for cruises! I have very little loyalty to brands in general except for 2 that fall into the food condiment category :p

We are trying NCL because well, it was the best deal at the time, and for what we paid, still was because as it got closer to final payment, I was checking! Then again, compared to booking when I did, if I was to book today with NCL for the same cruise, sure I could get 3 specialty meals but the cost would be $1000 more then when I booked for 4 and canceled one because my DS wants to stay home.

Alas in the past 5 years, I have noticed an average increase on 4 people at about 35% across the board with all lines. A Carnival fare I booked in 2011 for less than $2000 for 4, now goes for about $3500 at the same time.

I am very glad I opened this thread though and thanks to all of those who talked about Princess and Alaska! I have decided to put off cruising after our June one until around September of 2018. I wanted to go to Alaska with just me and DH for our 20th wedding anniversary and leave the kids at home for once. I know the first place I will be watching for when those dates come out now!

Strange I see the Christmas cruise on the spirit for 3999 And ncl are all 12 days and msc I see only 7 day cruises. Am I missing something? To see MSC half the price of another cruise is shocking to me.

I'm not sure if the link will work,.

Spirit 7 day dec 20th

SF $5649pp + $228.54 taxes and fees

Total for 2 $11526.54

https://www.ncl.com/cruise-quotes/304-00000153-fcf9-6f1f-b1f5-fb10d777918f

Were you looking at Dec 2017? That is the only 12 day I see and the cheapest suite is 5299pp.

Edited by electro

I Love NCL so I don't cruise on anything else after the crap service I got on CCL and Princess but from what I hear from people who travel in Suites on a lot of different cruises all say no one can touch NCL haven service and area. that for me alone made me cash out 7k for each one of my trips coming up without regret.....You get what you pay for

I have never sailed any other cruise line but NCL, but due to the significant price increases across the board, I actually just booked a cruise to Bermuda with Celebrity (May 2017) as the price is better than the Breakaway and there are more amenities included so I figured that I would give it a try. I probably would not have even looked at another line if the prices had not increased so much over booking the same cruise in 2015. I do currently have an aft suite booked on the Gem for this May (booked in January 2015) and if I booked that cruise today the price would be about 35% higher with less amenities. I do have two cruise rewards purchased on my last cruise that I will use but I too will not buy anymore as I want to keep my options open. I really feel that NCL has made too many changes and increased the prices too much and too quick.

I Love NCL so I don't cruise on anything else after the crap service I got on CCL and Princess but from what I hear from people who travel in Suites on a lot of different cruises all say no one can touch NCL haven service and area. that for me alone made me cash out 7k for each one of my trips coming up without regret.....You get what you pay for

Actually, a lot of comparisons between MSC Yacht club and NCL Haven favor MSC.

And the spirit doesn't have a haven so their price was double MSC's yacht club for a suite without Haven.

Booking MSC was a no brainer.

Lois

Actually I've heard from a lot of people who have done both Haven and MSC yacht club and like the yacht club better.

Edit: I see the poster before me beat me too it.

Edited by Fido Chuckwagon

We booked our next cruise with Princess. We found their pricing for the Panama, on a balcony, very similar to NCL. The BIG difference was instead of being stuck paying for packages we didn't want, (ie auto gratuities on packages), we have free gratuities for the 10 days, plus around $800 in obc, which pays the bulk of our excursions with $ to spare. It is a no brainer for me. I was ready for a change anyway.

I agree with prices being so much higher than what they used to be. I wanted to book something for next year but not at these prices. My cousin who was an NCL loyalist has jumped ship and I may be joining her soon.