Do any others find RCCL's itineraries repetative and boring?

pcur

We've sailed out of Puerto Rico several times, and I enjoy the port. But, it's itineraries are the same cookie-cutter Eastern Caribbean. Example: the cruise next January we had to cancel include Antigua, Barbados, and St. Lucia. Those are not common in most RCCL itineraries, but it's very, very few cruises that offer them.

I see Adventure and Jewel cruises that include Antigua, Barbados, and St. Lucia, as well as St. Croix, Grenada, Aruba, Curacao, and Bonaire, among others. Serenade and Navigator also offer cruises to the Southern Caribbean with interesting ports, but they are 9/10/11 night cruises.

To me "repetitive itineraries" almost define mass market cruising. Everyone has a different take though and Royal is my go to cruise line out of my home port of Baltimore where they probably visit upwards of 20 ports over a season while Carnival is limited to less than 10.

I think you're giving short shrift to Alaska as well as New England and Canada. I would tend not to do Royal to New England/Canada as they tend to do it in fall but Alaska in July-August should be pretty warm and awesome scenery. Try it some time, you'll probably want more of it.

Roy

I agree, I think the ports of call are repetitive. I had my eye on a cruise thAt called into Tonga, but due to family celebration cannot go on the cruise, searched for Alternative dates and discovered it was the only cruise thAt RCCL has planned to visit Tonga. I am also looking at others lines in order to get different ports of call.

I agree somewhat. I think one reason is the Oasis class ships are so limited to where they go. Small port piers & no tendering. See that one will be visiting St. Kitts, and San Juan later this year. Funny that they don't have any trouble getting into Labadie, to take advantage of all the pay venues. I can think of 4 or 5 others in eastern and southern areas that have piers long enough for Oasis Class. We will have three Oasis on east coast of Florida this fall so I think it's time to start a few more ports. Bob

Luckily I haven't cruised enough to be sick of any ports (besides Nassau!), but I have become quite fond of southern Caribbean routes. The only way I can see me taking a Caribbean cruise from Florida again is if I'm looking for a longer sailing or want to experience Oasis class again.

I have my first European cruise coming up in September and I'm quite sure it will quickly become a region I have to visit once every 2 years. I find there's a lot of unique variety over in those parts. Also, if I find myself repeating a cruise port that I'm not fond of anymore (St Kitts .. been there once, don't need to visit again), I enjoy the ship in all it's quietness or find a different part of the port to visit.

Try this link. You can click on a region and it takes you to a page where you can choose Destinations. From there you can click on "find cruises sailing to this port".

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ports/home.do?cS=NAVBAR&pnav=1&snav=7

Thanks for that link Suzy - very helpful.

But let's face it, Royal is all about the ships, and larger ships with so much to do, it's hard to do everything on board in 7 days. And I know I have read that customer comments are routinely that people don't like tendering. So you have ships that only have limited ports available, especially Oasis class.

After years of all the same ports, I finally got to see Grand Cayman, St Kitts and Anguila in the past two years (Anguila on my own from a stop in St Maarten). Really enjoyed Grand Cayman because it was so unlike any other island stop I had done before (IMHO) - warm, British and interesting stuff to do. I'm glad I saw Anguila and St Kitts, but neither of them really seemed much different than other Caribbean islands.

I like Royal, I like being on the ocean, and if I'm going to be in the Caribbean I just figure it's going to be the same stops but sometimes I'll get lucky and be able to tick off a few more "been there" boxes on my places traveled card.

And to Peggy - I don't think you're being fussy. It's your vacation and you should enjoy it.

I LOVE to cruise, but I frankly cannot find an itinerary on RCCL that appeals to me anymore.

We are itinerary cruisers, but love RCCL ships and loyalty perks. But, we don't love it enough to repeat the same itinerary year after year after year.

I'll keep looking, but right now my future bookings are with Celebrity and NCL. Am I being fussy, or do others feel this way, too?

Cruisers who just love to cruise might find you too fussy. But, destination cruisers like us agree RCI itineraries are too restrictive. Worse with the mega ships some small ports are inaccessible, such as Georgetown.

So we sail on other lines as well. Our goal is to visit all the Caribbean islands including some of the smaller ones that are only reached by ferries.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by 2CatsInFlorida

Alaska in July-August should be pretty warm and awesome scenery. Try it some time, you'll probably want more of it.

Roy

I agree. We have been to Alaska twice, different cruise lines, but both in August. The southbound itinerary which included Icy Strait Point on Radiance of the Seas was awesome. Our third Alaska cruise is coming up fast. Alaska is A M A Z I N G ! :D

Edited by JimAOk1945

I see Adventure and Jewel cruises that include Antigua, Barbados, and St. Lucia, as well as St. Croix, Grenada, Aruba, Curacao, and Bonaire, among others. Serenade and Navigator also offer cruises to the Southern Caribbean with interesting ports, but they are 9/10/11 night cruises.

I'll go check those out again, and discuss them with hubby. Thanks!

I have my first European cruise coming up in September and I'm quite sure it will quickly become a region I have to visit once every 2 years. I find there's a lot of unique variety over in those parts. Also, if I find myself repeating a cruise port that I'm not fond of anymore (St Kitts .. been there once, don't need to visit again), I enjoy the ship in all it's quietness or find a different part of the port to visit.

I agree with you about Europe. We did our first European cruise on the Splendour, and I'm doing the planning for the 5th one next year. My friend has never been to Italy, so I found an amazing itinerary on NCL for us: starts in Barcelona and ends in Venice.

Thanks for that link Suzy - very helpful.

But let's face it, Royal is all about the ships, and larger ships with so much to do, it's hard to do everything on board in 7 days. And I know I have read that customer comments are routinely that people don't like tendering. So you have ships that only have limited ports available, especially Oasis class.

After years of all the same ports, I finally got to see Grand Cayman, St Kitts and Anguila in the past two years (Anguila on my own from a stop in St Maarten). Really enjoyed Grand Cayman because it was so unlike any other island stop I had done before (IMHO) - warm, British and interesting stuff to do. I'm glad I saw Anguila and St Kitts, but neither of them really seemed much different than other Caribbean islands.

I like Royal, I like being on the ocean, and if I'm going to be in the Caribbean I just figure it's going to be the same stops but sometimes I'll get lucky and be able to tick off a few more "been there" boxes on my places traveled card.

And to Peggy - I don't think you're being fussy. It's your vacation and you should enjoy it.

Thanks, Matt. I've never been to Anguila. We are starting to discuss a family trip in 2019, and staying in either the British or US Virgin Islands is on the list, so I will have to check out Anguila.

No more or less than any other mass market cruise line. Maybe you should try Europe, Alaska, Asia, etc........Your choice to do the same itineraries over and over....:eek:

Planning my 5th to Europe next year. Been to Alaska and enjoyed the scenery immensely, but not the ports so much. Asia is on my bucket list.

The point to me starting this thread is it's not MY choice, but my FORCED choice if I want to sail on RCCL from US/near-US ports.

Personally, I like cooler destinations, like Alaska, New England, and the Canadian Maritimes.

That said, I'm a little peeved that RC hasn't had British Isles cruise from 2014 to 2016. There is one British Isles cruise in 2017, but it's in May, before U.S. schools let out for the summer.

While Celebrity has British Isles cruises, they seem to start and end in Amsterdam and last 12 to 14 nights. I would like a cruise of 7 to 10 nights out of Southampton, so I can spend several days in London, or possibly Scotland.

Personally, I like cooler destinations, like Alaska, New England, and the Canadian Maritimes.

That said, I'm a little peeved that RC hasn't had British Isles cruise from 2014 to 2016. There is one British Isles cruise in 2017, but it's in May, before U.S. schools let out for the summer.

While Celebrity has British Isles cruises, they seem to start and end in Amsterdam and last 12 to 14 nights. I would like a cruise of 7 to 10 nights out of Southampton, so I can spend several days in London, or possibly Scotland.

Take a look at Celebrity. Some interesting itineraries.

I always look at Southampton in late April/early May. Mr. pcur has a car show he likes to go to every several years in the UK. It's always the first bank holiday in May, so I look for a cruise before or after the show.

Cruisers who just love to cruise might find you too fussy. But, destination cruisers like us agree RCI itineraries are too restrictive. Worse with the mega ships some small ports are inaccessible, such as Georgetown.

So we sail on other lines as well. Our goal is to visit all the Caribbean islands including some of the smaller ones that are only reached by ferries.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

HI, There is a very nice 12 western Caribbean cruise Oct 29, '16 from Bayonne on the Anthem...If you have the time, you want to check it out.

Princess does a nice Partial or fun Panama Canal..we've done both. Lovely!!

I agree! I saw that one listed and it's the ONLY one. :mad: RC is our "go to" cruise line but I'm seriously looking at others. I would prefer RT from Southampton for a few days prior to a cruise but may have to consider other options.

HI, There is a very nice 12 western Caribbean cruise Oct 29, '16 from Bayonne on the Anthem...If you have the time, you want to check it out.

Princess does a nice Partial or fun Panama Canal..we've done both. Lovely!!

I will see if that itinerary is offered in late 2017, into 2018. Thanks.

I am watching the prices on Celebrity for the Panama Canal, but we'd rather do RCCL. I will check Princess, too, though.

Thanks, Matt. I've never been to Anguila. We are starting to discuss a family trip in 2019, and staying in either the British or US Virgin Islands is on the list, so I will have to check out Anguila.

Anguilla (I was spelling it wrong) is very flat, but friendly and truly amazing beaches (I did a private car tour and got to see a lot of them) and some really nice resorts. No real downtown - certainly not a touristy one. There is a woman named Nori Evoy who lives there and does a monthly blog of everything happening there. Just google her name and Anguilla and you will find it easily.

It's also pretty easy to get to since St Maarten has a pretty sizable and busy airport, and there is a regular ferry that leaves from the airport and gets you there in about 20 minutes.

We definitely don't get board with the same itinerary. if we took a land vacation for a week, we'd be in the same place for six days (and nights). It would take 5 or 6 cruises to get close to the monotony of any in any the three ports we usually hit. My suggestion is approach repeat ports as if you were visiting the the first time. Visit a different website to book your excursions, try something out of your comfort zone. Travel with friends or family who if you don't do that regularly. Travel as a couple if your normally do travel with friends and family..

I wouldn't say you're fussy... But this is definitely a first world problem. We always remember how fortunate we are to be cruising in the first place and try to approach each cruise with a couple of decidedly different things planned.

During the last 20 years we must have "done" the Caribbean several times over ( I don't think we missed one single island), but that hasn't stopped us from cruising which (for the most part) is very enjoyable.

Repetitive itineraries? Yes....... but there are only so many islands and continents on this earth.... ;)

Anguilla (I was spelling it wrong) is very flat, but friendly and truly amazing beaches (I did a private car tour and got to see a lot of them) and some really nice resorts. No real downtown - certainly not a touristy one. There is a woman named Nori Evoy who lives there and does a monthly blog of everything happening there. Just google her name and Anguilla and you will find it easily.

It's also pretty easy to get to since St Maarten has a pretty sizable and busy airport, and there is a regular ferry that leaves from the airport and gets you there in about 20 minutes.

Thanks again! I'm looking at it seriously for 2019.

During the last 20 years we must have "done" the Caribbean several times over ( I don't think we missed one single island), but that hasn't stopped us from cruising which (for the most part) is very enjoyable.

Repetitive itineraries? Yes....... but there are only so many islands and continents on this earth.... ;)

The "repetative" part is RCCL's itineraries, NOT cruising! :D I could "repeat" that for the rest of my life.

I agree with you about Europe. We did our first European cruise on the Splendour, and I'm doing the planning for the 5th one next year. My friend has never been to Italy, so I found an amazing itinerary on NCL for us: starts in Barcelona and ends in Venice.

Vision of the Seas has some amazing itineraries in 2017. Dubai to Venice, then Venice to Barcelona, followed by Barcelona to Amsterdam. We're doing the first two.

Vision%20Apr%2019_417x600_zpsvxraqxnv.jpg

Link to itineraries on RCI website

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/cruises?shipCode_VI=true&vacationTypeCode_CO=true&dates_minDate=04%2F01%2F2017&dates_maxDate=04%2F30%2F2017