Always 3 waiters?

SandyBShores

I've cruised on several different lines and bring extra tips for great service. Last year on CCL Pride I was surprised to have three waiters (plus a maitre'd). Is having three waiters the norm for all CCL ships? Trying to budget a little.

Three has been the norm on all Carnival cruises I have taken. However my daughter who just returned from a seven day Magic cruise said that Anytime Dining in the MDR provided only one. Baked potato was cold before condiments arrived. Server was apologetic but potato was still cold.

Hope I don't run into this on August Breeze cruise.

We were on the Magic March 20 cruise and had Early Dining. We had 1 headwaiter and 2 assistants. Very interesting that anytime dining only had 1 waiter. Our waiters were fantastic! This was nice for a change. We have had some waiters that left a lot to be desired.

The tips for everyone will be added to your shipboard account. If you have 3 regular waiters, and want to tip additionally, bring $60...that's $20 per....

Certainly, you'll be bringing more cash than you think you'll need...right? I can't imagine going anywhere without a surplus of cash...CASH is KING!

When we first sailed Carnival, they used 2 person teams. A few years ago they switched to 3 person teams consisting of a Head Waiter, Team Waiter, and Assistant Waiter and increased the number of guests served by one team. The Team Waiter and Assistant spend much of their time shuttling food from the galley so that Head Waiter can remain in the Dining Room.

We have done YTD only a couple of times, and I did not pay close attention, but I think they use the same format.

I wonder if they have more PAX to serve than teams of two on other lines.

They did increase from one to two assts a few years ago and gave them more passengers to serve at same time.

The good thing is the headwaiter usually is available for the entire dinner except when the assts fall behind and than he will also go to the galley.

On our Dream cruise, we did have a 3 person wait staff. But it seemed that the head waiter Imade and one assistant Piotr did most of our service, with the 3rd waiter concentrating on other tables . Probably just the most efficient way to divide up their duties...

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums mobile app

I just got off Legend and we had three. We seemed to have two main ones (one clearly the head waiter) and then the third who would serve us bread and water and do galley runs, with the second one also doing galley runs if required.

It seemed to work well, there was always a waiter right there if we needed anything!

Three has been the norm on all Carnival cruises I have taken. However my daughter who just returned from a seven day Magic cruise said that Anytime Dining in the MDR provided only one. Baked potato was cold before condiments arrived. Server was apologetic but potato was still cold.

Hope I don't run into this on August Breeze cruise.

Carnival has made many cutbacks. Heald calls them Brilliant, but they are not.

When there were two crewmembers assigned to a section very often both would be off at the galley so at least now there is one around in case you need something.

Overall they have more people to serve than before so service compared to say 10 years ago is not nearly as good.

I've cruised on several different lines and bring extra tips for great service. Last year on CCL Pride I was surprised to have three waiters (plus a maitre'd). Is having three waiters the norm for all CCL ships? Trying to budget a little.

Yes, we've had wait teams of 3 on our cruises -- 4 if you count the bar waiter. No need to tip the maitre'd unless he/she does something special for you. He/she is salaried.