Food to take off ship

Mr. Gumphere

Another funny thread. We have always been told, no fresh or ship prepared food can be taken off of the ship no matter where the port is. I remember a couple of years ago Rick Steves was on a Princess ship on a Northern European Cruise with his girl friend. They had a standard balcony cabin, however, Princess apparently comped them breakfast in Sabatini's (yes, as in the suite perk). I remember his girl friend posting on their blog that they liked to get the ham and cheese breakfast croissants and take them in their backpacks to have for lunch on shore. I guess that if you are a celebrity you get away with stuff....??:D

We take food off all the time, like the dress code on these ships, it's usually not enforced and we have never had a problem. We had to throw out some fruit one time.

I asked the cruise line because I have Type II and while I'm not on insulin I do have to make sure and keep my glucose balanced and can get faint, especially if the day is warm or the activity strenuous. The word is that no food ... period ... is to be removed from the ship. I might get away with a prepackaged granola bar or some glucose tablets but that's as far as the cruise line was willing to go. They said every port can be different so to be aware that I will need to be flexible. Fine by me. I hit the duty-free shop as soon as we disembarked in Cozumel ... water and snacks. The local enforcers at the port were being extremely strict ... if they didn't catch people before they left the ship they certainly caught them immediately afterwards, and they weren't fooling around.

We take food off all the time, like the dress code on these ships, it's usually not enforced and we have never had a problem. We had to throw out some fruit one time.

It's not the ship who enforces the law. It's the police of the country you are visiting. If you haven't been caught, you are lucky. Some countries have very stiff fines. In Chile, the border guards carry big guns and there are signs everywhere showing what can't be brought into the country. The ship will tell you about the laws, but it's the locals with the sniffing dogs and big guns who enforce them.

When taking food off the ship is required, and food on shore won't meet your needs, your best bet is taking prepackaged food from home. We took food into the countries of French Polynesia, the Cook Islands and Easter Island (Chile) last winter, lots of it, all prepackaged. We showed it to the appropriate people (and their dogs) each time and each time we were waved through with no issue. We had prepackaged processed meat items, prepackaged nuts, cereals and even canned veggies. It isn't that no food is allowed; it's just that certain food is definitely not allowed and other food is. On a cruise ship, the safest option to take off is packaged cereal, but it's not very nutritious. We always bring bars and packaged nuts from home for port days.

It's not the ship who enforces the law. It's the police of the country you are visiting. If you haven't been caught, you are lucky. Some countries have very stiff fines. In Chile, the border guards carry big guns and there are signs everywhere showing what can't be brought into the country. The ship will tell you about the laws, but it's the locals with the sniffing dogs and big guns who enforce them.

Lots of cruises and not my experience. Once a dog was smelling for fruit and people were throwing it away. No fines and no hassle.

Our Custom Officers have even trained our doggies to find money

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11348609

I guess they can smell more than just fruit. When we landed in Aukland last month, there were cute dogs everywhere, sniffing everything, including people. It wasn't just one dog but a new dog every time we turned a corner in the terminal (along with the big signs saying no food.) By the last one was a sign that said "last chance" to discard food or pay a fine (four figures, if I recall correctly) along with a row of trash cans. A couple of them appeared to be full of stuff. I took them at their word and didn't try to sneak anything into the country.

This reminds me of a cruise stop in Boston last year where we walked to Faneuil Hall where they have a huge food court with literally dozens of kinds of foods. When we went to sit down to eat our lunch, another couple that we recognized from the ship sat down and removed 'ship' food from their bags. A couple of days later, we were in Newport and leaving a wonderful and relaxing lunch at a quaint local restaurant , and when walking back to the tender, we see the same couple sitting on a park bench, again unwrapping 'ship' food for lunch. We really enjoy trying local food fare as part of our cruise experience. However, when we can't find anything to our liking (which is extremely rare), take a cereal bar with you, and you can eat when you return back to the ship... A whole lot easier than packing ship food 😉

And every other time you have potentially introduced destructive insects and/or plant diseases into the local agricultural community.

The agricultural laws of each country are there for a reason.

It is not a game to see if you can get away with breaking the local laws.

I have read a post by someone who had a Hershey bar with almonds confiscated because of the nuts.

I understand the possibility fruit may be contaminated but...... how is a pre-packaged chocolate bar not allowed?

I understand the possibility fruit may be contaminated but...... how is a pre-packaged chocolate bar not allowed?

Sounds like an overzealous screener. We entered both Australia and New Zealand, two of the most stringent countries regarding these things, with protein bars and candy bars with nuts. We openly showed them to the people checking and were waved through.

And every other time you have potentially introduced destructive insects and/or plant diseases into the local agricultural community.

Exactly. The law about not bringing in certain foods over the California border exists for a major reason. Critters smaller than you can see can be hiding inside a piece of fruit, but can do so much damage.

I remember disembarking in Valparaiso, Chile a couple of years ago and there were food sniffing dogs and guards with very big guns. They go to great effort to protect their agriculture and you will have a problem if the dogs find prohibited items on you.

Sounds like an overzealous screener. We entered both Australia and New Zealand, two of the most stringent countries regarding these things, with protein bars and candy bars with nuts. We openly showed them to the people checking and were waved through.

We also did this. I kept it in a separate bag and when I entered the customs area in Sydney, I opened the bag, they waved me by, "no problem" they said. It was things I had brought on board to begin with(granola bars, nuts) candy from the ship, etc. I was ready to throw it out, but it was fine.

Not everyone cares about these things. To each is own I guess. I'm pretty sure a few cookies and a croissant will not ruin the agricultural but who knows. I'm sure the ship using thousands of gallons of oil driving us from port to port is pretty bad for the environment also. You still cruise I see, so you are not that concerned.

It is interesting to see the entitlement attitude of "I don't have to follow the rules." If a government sets a rule and enforces it with dogs it probably isn't just a suggestion! People will always bend the rules or disregard them...

It is interesting to see the entitlement attitude of "I don't have to follow the rules." If a government sets a rule and enforces it with dogs it probably isn't just a suggestion! People will always bend the rules or disregard them...

I agree 100%.

Not everyone cares about these things. To each is own I guess. I'm pretty sure a few cookies and a croissant will not ruin the agricultural but who knows. I'm sure the ship using thousands of gallons of oil driving us from port to port is pretty bad for the environment also. You still cruise I see, so you are not that concerned.

The post I had responded to was only about fruit. The poster said " We had to throw out some fruit one time."

Cookies and a croissant were not involved.

Not everyone cares about these things. To each is own I guess. I'm pretty sure a few cookies and a croissant will not ruin the agricultural but who knows.

That's true. Not everyone cares whether or not they obey the laws of the countries they visit. That is why those countries have dogs and guns and big fines, to persuade the "entitled" to worry about a "few cookies" ruining the agriculture. You have been lucky so far. Maybe someday you won't be so lucky and find yourself at the end of a rifle with your checkbook out to pay the hefty fine. (The signs at the border inspection in Chile specifically said no baked goods.)

Edited by shredie

That's true. Not everyone cares whether or not they obey the laws of the countries they visit. That is why those countries have dogs and guns and big fines, to persuade the "entitled" to worry about a "few cookies" ruining the agriculture. You have been lucky so far. Maybe someday you won't be so lucky and find yourself at the end of a rifle with your checkbook out to pay the hefty fine. (The signs at the border inspection in Chile specifically said no baked goods.)

I agree. It's the risk that anyone who takes that chance has to accept.

People don't get it

Using thousands of gallons of fuel is a lot different than bringing bugs into countries which could be on or in the fruit or food which could kill the economy of these countries

Read this link

http://www.mpi.govt.nz/news-and-resources/media-releases/fruit-fly-eradicated-from-auckland-and-restrictions-lifted/

And another link

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/pests/foot-and-mouth

Edited by Thecat123

Gee I hope I'm there to see it.

Seems that many of them are here on CC