PLEAE help me with a Baltic cruise

jiminyC_fan

I am just coming back from being absent from HAL. Have cruised a land/sea cruise to Alaska on HAL and absolutely loved sailing with HAL. Since then we have done a few Disney cruises and a wonderful European Viking River Cruise. I am now in the middle of planning for a Baltic cruise. My main concern is 14 days or longer, smaller ship and it must include Norway with Fjords and a port or two in Sweden after that I really don't care. I am 50% Norwegian and 50% Swedish so this is something I have wanted to do for a long time.

Can any of you help me decide what I should be looking at, please. I went to HAL's website and got more confused than ever. So I thought I should go to the experienced cruisers for advice. Is there one ship better than another? One cruise better than another? Time of year? I'm leaning towards May of 2017. Also, like in Alaska are there land/sea tours?

ANY suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

We have a good two 12-day cruise combo coming up for a "collectors" 24 day Zuiderdam cruise this May, 2016: two weeks going into the Baltic, Germany and St Petersberg and two weeks going up and around Scotland with a number of stops in Norway and Sweden, while circling back to Copehagen at the mid-point where it also begins and ends.

Called 24 Day Baltic, Fjords, and Highlands for 2016 and they offer it several times. Hard to know what they will be offering in 2017, but sometimes they package these shorter segments separately or in various longer combinations if they come and go from the same port, in this case Copenhagen.

We end up having so many days in Copenhagen with a pre-cruise, mid-cruise stop and an over-night end of cruise we plan to take the bus-ferry trip to Ronne, Bornholm Island (DK) off the coast of Sweden on our own one day to see if we can find those sublime danish pastries again, that we found on another excellent HAL Rotterdam cruise that included this exquisite little Baltic Sea island. Port is too small for the Zuiderdam and I think now only the Prinsendam calls at Ronne, Bornholm these days.

And if you know your Viking history -- it is all Viking land from Russia to UK. If you go back far enough.

Edited by OlsSalt

We did our last Baltic cruise on the Prinsendam and really enjoyed it.

If you have time and can do a collectors', look for the Kiel Canal. It's tremendous. Nearly like river boating. :)

Look for at least an overnight in St. Petersburg with a late departure time on day two. Three days is even better but two days can do the trick.

Depending on your inclination, there are lots of great private guides that take care of visas etc and you can have a smaller more intimate experience if you like.

Two days in Copenhagen is nice if you can find that on the itinerary.

We really enjoyed Warnemunde as well as Hamburg so don't limit yourself to your ancestral ports.

I posted a live thread from the Prinsendam in case it may help you.

Back to the Black I believe it was called. Internet on board won't let me open another window. Will see if I can find it and copy it here for you if you like.

We also found going to SAS website airlines directly gave us our best priced flights from the US to Copenhagen.

They also use AirBuses, instead of Boeings which means for us coming from LAX we get 2-4-2 seating instead of the dreaded 3-4-3 seating on all the other airlines we looked at. But we do have to puddle jump a bit with a short connector flights - no direct flights to LAX-Copenhagen for the low prices.

Edited by OlsSalt

We did our last Baltic cruise on the Prinsendam and really enjoyed it.

If you have time and can do a collectors', look for the Kiel Canal. It's tremendous. Nearly like river boating. :)

Look for at least an overnight in St. Petersburg with a late departure time on day two. Three days is even better but two days can do the trick.

Depending on your inclination, there are lots of great private guides that take care of visas etc and you can have a smaller more intimate experience if you like.

Two days in Copenhagen is nice if you can find that on the itinerary.

We really enjoyed Warnemunde as well as Hamburg so don't limit yourself to your ancestral ports.

I posted a live thread from the Prinsendam in case it may help you.

Back to the Black I believe it was called. Internet on board won't let me open another window. Will see if I can find it and copy it here for you if you like.

We are taking the Baltic cruise on the Prinsendam this July. I would LOVE to read your live thread! TIA

I did the Baltics cruise with HAL and have to say it was my favorite cruise. I would highly recommend it and I would definitely do this itinerary again without hesitation. I never sailed the Prinsendam so I can't comment on the ship. We sailed the Amsterdam whe we did our Baltics cruise, which was several years ago, great itinerary.

I booked my air with HAL as I was not familiar with the European airports, all worked out perfectly.

We are taking the Baltic cruise on the Prinsendam this July. I would LOVE to read your live thread! TIA

I couldn't find Kazu's thread but here's mine:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2203138

I tried a different technique. I THINK this is Kazu. I searched for threads she started over a year old.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1845046

By the way, I second her recommendation.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

We just went through this yesterday, looking at several various cruise companies, itineraries, etc. I printed off about 10 itineraries and we looked at them side by side...when it was all done that way, our choices became more clear and we booked the 24-day Baltic Fjords and Highlands for 2017 (June). It had a nice combo of the Baltic with a bunch of interesting stops in the UK which included Shetland Islands..and also Sweden, and Finland which we've not been to. We've done many stops in Norway before, but this itinerary had a couple we've not been to. A plus was going Copenhagen to Copenhagen.

Yes, lots of great itineraries, but if you print them off, look at them together, some will stand out more than others.

We had hoped to try another cruise company, but in the end...HAL did it again with a great itinerary. So, the Zuiderdam it is.

Two weeks ago we decided to do the 12-Day Fjords & Highlands on the Zuiderdam beginning June 22, 2017. Even though we have two wonderful cruises scheduled before this one, we are anxiously looking forward to it! Having PBS recently repeat the mystery series "Shetland" has also piqued our interest.

Another airline to check is Norwegian Air that flies the Boeing 787 from the US with some flights direct to Copenhagen (CPH).

Two weeks ago we decided to do the 12-Day Fjords & Highlands on the Zuiderdam beginning June 22, 2017. Even though we have two wonderful cruises scheduled before this one, we are anxiously looking forward to it! Having PBS recently repeat the mystery series "Shetland" has also piqued our interest.

Another airline to check is Norwegian Air that flies the Boeing 787 from the US with some flights direct to Copenhagen (CPH).

You may enjoy my review of this great cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1891991

We will visit the Shetland Islands again in July! Amazing place.

The Baltics are wonderful... Be sure to visit Fredriksborg outside of Copenhagen. One of the most beautiful places ever!

If you go to SPB, use a private company. We used Anastasia. Very good.

Pack lots of layers!

You may enjoy my review of this great cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1891991

We will visit the Shetland Islands again in July! Amazing place.

The Baltics are wonderful... Be sure to visit Fredriksborg outside of Copenhagen. One of the most beautiful places ever!

If you go to SPB, use a private company. We used Anastasia. Very good.

Pack lots of layers!

Thank you for these practical tips since we will soon be leaving on what looks like another very great HAL cruise itinerary.

I cannot thank you guys enough for your help. I will now set out to read all the links. The 24 day cruise has peaked my interest. Viking is new to ocean cruising but does a similar itinerary so I do want to compare to it as well. It's just so overwhelming trying to figure it all out. Thanks again!

I cannot thank you guys enough for your help. I will now set out to read all the links. The 24 day cruise has peaked my interest. Viking is new to ocean cruising but does a similar itinerary so I do want to compare to it as well. It's just so overwhelming trying to figure it all out. Thanks again!

I hear you. I was daunted to. But luckily we were looking for a specific time period which helped narrow things down when we struck on this 24 day Baltic, Fjords, Highlands choice. And the more we play with the itinerary offerings the better it keeps looking. Getting really excited.

Edited by OlsSalt

I hear you. I was daunted to. But luckily we were looking for a specific time period which helped narrow things down when we struck on this 24 day Baltic, Fjords, Highlands choice. And the more we play with the itinerary offerings the better it keeps looking. Getting really excited.

I bet you are getting excited. I hope you will either post a live report or a review at the end. HAVE FUN!

I just saw my typo on the title. Sorry everyone.

In all my cruises to the North Sea and Baltic, I have never seen one that combines a cruise with a land tour, such as you had in Alaska.

I also don't remember having a cruise that combined Norway and Sweden on the same cruise. To get to both countries requires a couple of cruises booked as either back to back, Collectors Cruise, or switching to another ship (perhaps with some land touring between).

I don't know the schedules for that area for this year or next. In the past Norway had an S-class ship doing a couple of itineraries, but that lovely little ship is gone from the fleet.

Slightly larger than the late Ryndam is the Rotterdam. I believe she is doing some cruising in that area at least for part of this summer; she may be there next year, too?

Once you get in to the Vista and Signature class ships you are well away from that "smaller" you said you were looking for.

Hope you find something that works for you. I love the Norway cruises, and wish HAL would schedule one that's longer than the 7-day they typically do.

I tried a different technique. I THINK this is Kazu. I searched for threads she started over a year old.

Roy

Thank you so much, Roy! i read both live threads and enjoyed them very much. Thanks again!

Roy

Thanks very much Roy :)

A couple of years ago we took the Prinsendam on a combined trip that went from IJmuiden to the North Cape and back (14 days) and then the Baltic Cruise including the Kiel Canal and Hamburg for another 14. So it included Norwegian west coast and Sweden (2 stops) plus St. Petersburg and much more. We really enjoyed this cruise, and if it's available I strongly recommend it. I was looking for it, but for some reason Safari on my iPhone keeps sending me to the Dutch version of the website.

We also found going to SAS website airlines directly gave us our best priced flights from the US to Copenhagen.

They also use AirBuses, instead of Boeings which means for us coming from LAX we get 2-4-2 seating instead of the dreaded 3-4-3 seating on all the other airlines we looked at. But we do have to puddle jump a bit with a short connector flights - no direct flights to LAX-Copenhagen for the low prices.

Agree with you. We flew SAS to Copenhagen when we did our Baltic cruise with HAL. Excellent airline and great prices. As other posters have stated, there are 2 nights in St. Petersburg and we spent extra time in Copenhagen on our own. Our cruise did not include Norway. That's on our future cruise list.

A couple of years ago we took the Prinsendam on a combined trip that went from IJmuiden to the North Cape and back (14 days) and then the Baltic Cruise including the Kiel Canal and Hamburg for another 14. So it included Norwegian west coast and Sweden (2 stops) plus St. Petersburg and much more. We really enjoyed this cruise, and if it's available I strongly recommend it. I was looking for it, but for some reason Safari on my iPhone keeps sending me to the Dutch version of the website.

That sounds wonderful. I will search it out. Thanks!

This is the one we chose. We liked the itinerary as well as the smaller ship-the ms Prinsendam. But there are several others sailing the Baltic Sea in July.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetails.action?tourId=&webItineraryIdForAudit=E6N1S4&fromSearchVacation=true&destList=&dateCode=&flexibleMonths=&noOfFlexibleMonths=&portCode=&shipCodeSearch=&voyageCode=P638&