Acceptable Attire in the Main Dining Room for Oasis Class Ships

Let me start by saying the last thing I want to do on a relaxing vacation is to get dressed up. I wear a suit and tie every day for work and go on vacation to get away from my daily routine. That said, we are taking the Allure in June. Can anyone out there describe the MDR attire on the Allure/Harmony/Oasis? More specifically, I'd like to wear trousers and button shirt on formal nights and a polo shirt and jeans/trousers on all other nights. Is this acceptable and would I feel or look like a scumbag? Not having to pack a suit would also enable me to eliminate a pair of shoes.

Let me start by saying the last thing I want to do on a relaxing vacation is to get dressed up. I wear a suit and tie every day for work and go on vacation to get away from my daily routine. That said, we are taking the Allure in June. Can anyone out there describe the MDR attire on the Allure/Harmony/Oasis? More specifically, I'd like to wear trousers and button shirt on formal nights and a polo shirt and jeans/trousers on all other nights. Is this acceptable and would I feel or look like a scumbag? Not having to pack a suit would also enable me to eliminate a pair of shoes.

There would be a good number of men dressed as you describe.

You just described exactly how I dressed on my last RC cruise. I didn't feel like a scumbag at all. There were people more dressed up than I was but a lot of people that weren't. Enjoy those meals you paid for wearing what YOU are comfortable in. :)

On all our Royal cruises I just wear a collard shirt and slacks with casual shoes. There is two formal nights usually but if you don't want to wear a suit you have options. Usually there is people who ignore the formal in formal night in the MDR. I usually just take a sports coat. You can also eat elsewhere on formal night. Up charge dining like Chops -and Sabor usually have the same casual dress every night and there is always Windjammer.

Keep in mind we're in our late 20s, early 30s and no kids...

My boyfriend wore khakis and a collared short sleeve shirt most nights and didn't feel underdressed. I usually just wore a smart casual dress from h+m, target, or forever 21 and some sandals or flats.

On formal nights, many went on the more casual side than formal. I wore a plain black cocktail dress and flip-flops (granted I sprained my ankle and broke some toes on the cruise, word of advice never go to the top deck in a storm in the evening in heels after a few beverages :p. doh.). Boyfriend wore black slacks and a shirt, no tie. We fit in well.

Edited by bluelagoon543

Glad you posted this. Since we are traveling by train, space is limited. I doubt husband will bring a suit. I will wear a dressier dress but mine can be folded very small. I remember the days when we brought formals. Had two daughter with us. Just a separate suitcase for those.

Here's Royal Caribbean's policy for formal night:

Formal: Ladies: Cocktail dress or pantsuit. Gentlemen: Suit (black tie is optional)

Its fine if you don't want to dress up, but don't take away from the experience the crew and the passengers are trying to have in the MDR. If a passenger doesn't want to get into the spirit of things like the captain's gala, etc., there are plenty of other dining alternatives that are not formal.

Formal night is my favorite night because the women typically dress very nice and frankly, some of the guys they're with really need to step up their game.

Just returned from spring break on the Allure. You will be just fine wearing what you described. I saw men in dress shorts almost every night. Also saw 20-ish aged guys in tanks, gym shorts & flip flops several nights. Even saw a guy w/ a scrungy hat on, at the table, more than once. It appeared they were not enforcing a dress code, at all.

Edited by yldwest

Just got off Oasis a week ago. The main dining room had no sign regarding dress code posted. Inside we saw people dressed in everything from suits to shorts and all were treated well, no one cared what anyone else was wearing.

Formal: Ladies: Cocktail dress or pantsuit. Gentlemen: Suit (black tie is optional)

Its fine if you don't want to dress up, but don't take away from the experience the crew and the passengers are trying to have in the MDR. If a passenger doesn't want to get into the spirit of things like the captain's gala, etc., there are plenty of other dining alternatives that are not formal.

Formal night is my favorite night because the women typically dress very nice and frankly, some of the guys they're with really need to step up their game.

The crew isn't trying to have an experience...their just doing their job. As far as your experience...enjoy yourself...but allow other's to do so as well. It shouldn't matter what other's are wearing...if it does...perhaps opt for a more formal cruiseline...there are several to choose from.

BTW: RCI suggests attire....it's not an enforced "policy".

Edited by Ashland

The crew isn't trying to have an experience...their just doing their job. As far as your experience...enjoy yourself...but allow other's to do so as well. It shouldn't matter what other's are wearing...if it does...perhaps opt for a more formal cruiseline...there are several to choose from.

BTW: RCI suggests attire....it's not an enforced "policy".

You took my words out of context. The crew is doing their job trying to create the experience desired by the cruise line and it's the reason most passengers take that cruise. At a captain's gala for example, the officers and crew get in their dress uniform, the wait staff usually gives some sort of performance, provide their best effort and most of the passengers like to dress up. It's a good time.

I didn't say don't enjoy yourself. I just said there are dining alternatives (and frankly they're often nicer than the MDR). I've been cruising RCL for almost 20 years and cruising for 44 years, it has always been this way. I don't need to find another cruise line.

Just got off Oasis a week ago. The main dining room had no sign regarding dress code posted. Inside we saw people dressed in everything from suits to shorts and all were treated well, no one cared what anyone else was wearing.

Just because people are too polite to actually say something does not mean they don't care.

Just because people are too polite to actually say something does not mean they don't care.

Whatever :rolleyes: The only people that care what others wear are the select few fashion police here on Cruise Critic. Onboard, people are actually having a good time and couldnt care less what others wear. They arent hiding behind a keyboard forcing their opinions down others throats.

Royal doesnt have a dress code. They dont even enforce their prohibited list most of the time.

Edited by ryano

That is not policy. Those are merely suggestions. Royal doesnt even enforce their prohibited list most of the time. If that bothers you, maybe it IS about time to find another higher end cruiseline that has a policy they enforce.

Which is exactly how it should be.

I'm not a fashion police, but I am a person that was brought up with "respect". A dress code, an expected way to dress or dress recommendations for an event are really all about respect. Most people will not show up at a wedding, dressed in shirts, and a t-shirt unless of course it's in the back-yard and a swimming party. If you chose to go on a vacation and during that vacation, an expected dress code is in effect, than you made the choice, regardless of what you do in your work life, you chose this experience, along with the other 6400 passengers on the ship.

So you want to dress down? What about the people you are sitting next to, that are wearing a jacket and tie, or an evening dress, with their hair made up etc. Are you showing "respect" to your table mates?

The reality is they won't say anything to you, but will be displeased. You kind of ruined the evening for them.

Set aside what you want to do, and respect others with your decisions. You do have choices on a ship, if you really don't want to bring a dress outfit. Just chose those alternate areas to eat.

Looks like a few nerves were touched! Let me clarify that I'm not trying to wear shorts and flip flops to dinner. Just a nice pair of trousers and button down dress shirt. I have no problem respecting those who prefer to treat dinner as more of black tie event as long as my right not dress a bit more casual is respected. Trust me, your food quality and dining room experience will not be impacted. Thanks to all for your responses and feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm not a fashion police, but I am a person that was brought up with "respect". A dress code, an expected way to dress or dress recommendations for an event are really all about respect. Most people will not show up at a wedding, dressed in shirts, and a t-shirt unless of course it's in the back-yard and a swimming party. If you chose to go on a vacation and during that vacation, an expected dress code is in effect, than you made the choice, regardless of what you do in your work life, you chose this experience, along with the other 6400 passengers on the ship.

So you want to dress down? What about the people you are sitting next to, that are wearing a jacket and tie, or an evening dress, with their hair made up etc. Are you showing "respect" to your table mates?

The reality is they won't say anything to you, but will be displeased. You kind of ruined the evening for them.

Set aside what you want to do, and respect others with your decisions. You do have choices on a ship, if you really don't want to bring a dress outfit. Just chose those alternate areas to eat.

What the OP posted they would wear is PERFECTLY acceptable. Thats what they asked in case you missed it. They didnt ask for a sermon on respect or YOUR opinion on what they should wear or where they should eat. :rolleyes: Ive been there before, in a tux, sitting right beside a whole table wearing shorts. It didnt ruin my evening at all and I truly feel sorry for anyone whose evening is ruined by what someone else wears.

Dont you have some Carnival bashing to do or something today?

Edited by ryano

Wow, people get a little uptight about this issue huh? Can't everybody just get along? It's nice to get dressed up and it's fine to want to dress casually. Do they both have to occur at the same time in the same venue?

While it's great to have options, why the edge if someone thinks going to the Main Dining Room in more dressy/formal wear is appropriate? Just wonderin...

I say this with all due respect, Lighten up Francis! No one is forcing anything down anyone's throats. Nor would someone wearing a dress shirt and nice slacks "ruin" my dining experience in the Main Dining Room.

I understand why someone would appreciate an atmosphere where folks were all gussied up for dinner and can also relate to the guy wanting to relax in less formal attire after wearing suits and ties every day.

No need to go overboard (pun intended) with snarky comments.

Personally, I look forward to getting dressed up for dinner in the MDR. It's not something I do regularly but aside from folks wearing beachwear, being dressed in slacks and a button down shirt is certainly acceptable attire.

being dressed in slacks and a button down shirt is certainly acceptable attire.

Enough said. And my name isnt Francis.

When someone asks what is acceptable attire and they get some long drawn out sermon on respect instead, to me, that is forcing an opinion down their throat. YMMV

Edited by ryano