Nautica pool

ael123

Thinking of booking the FORTRESSES & FJORDS cruise on Nautica this June. I was wondering if the swimming pool on Nautica is heated when the ship travels in Norway? Is there an enclosed area where you can swim that is heated? Does Nautica have a Thalassotherapy pool. Thanks for the information.

No, no and no.

This itinerary is great for many things - sadly, sunbathing and swimming are not anywhere near the top of that list (unless you are a Polar Bear :D)

Seriously though, even though the pool is not heated, the weather can be quite nice and many people will probably use the pool. Thalassotherapy pools are only on the O class ships. There are hot tubs on the pool deck.

The Pool on Insignia was heated on our Norway cruise which went to Svalbard

I find it odd that the other R-ships would not have the heated pool

There is no enclosed pool so you must be quick when getting out of the pool in the colder climates ;)

Edited by LHT28

The Pool on Insignia was heated on our Norway cruise which went to Svalbard

I find it odd that the other R-ships would not have the heated pool

There is no enclosed pool so you must be quick when getting out of the pool in the colder climates ;)

All of the Oceania ships have the equipment installed to heat their swimming pools, but as anyone who has ever had a heated pool will tell you, the heating costs can be ruinously expensive.

pool.jpg

The weather must be somewhat temperate for the heaters to be run at all. When Climate and temperature cooperate, the captain and the engineers will read the long term weather reports and heat the pool when it will give them the best bang for their heating buck. With luck, their efforts may yield several swim-able days, sometimes a cold drizzle interferes, and one has to make due with the hot tubs.

This may be a good time to mention that the pools on the smaller R class vessels (Sirena, Insignia, Regatta, Nautica) are small but quite deep (think 8 feet). They are accessed only by ladder (no stairs) and are filled with chemically treated ocean water.

All of the Oceania ships have the equipment installed to heat their swimming pools, but as anyone who has ever had a heated pool will tell you, the heating costs can be ruinously expensive.

Well, if the above average fares won't cover these "ruinously expensive" heating costs, they could simply use the port fees and taxes that are collected as part of the fares and not refunded for missed ports to avoid being ruined by these heating costs that people expect on these upscale Luxury lite cruises.

Most of us do not expect a heated pool - especially when the pool is drained every night and refilled in the morning. Besides, the pool on the small ships are so small that people rarely try to "swim" in them. Instead, they use the pool to cool off from oppressive heat during the summer.

Which probably would not apply to the Copenhagen-Southampton cruise in June/July on Nautica ... I'll let you all know when we return! (Not that I am one to use the pool even in hot weather ...)

Mura

Which probably would not apply to the Copenhagen-Southampton cruise in June/July on Nautica ... I'll let you all know when we return! (Not that I am one to use the pool even in hot weather ...)

Mura

What an amazing (read fabulous) itinerary, Mura! So evocative of an earlier time.

NAU170625.jpg

My grandparents did a similar North cape of Norway cruise with Cunard, round trip from Manhattan, if you can believe it, every July/August until about 1970 when Air conditioning finally became reliable enough for my grandmother to stay in the city. It was generally a full month at sea.

I was about ten then, and their re-prioritized, post 1970 travel budget is what introduced me to the glories of cruising. Thank you, Mr. Carrier!

I agree as to the itinerary. We did a similar one with Oceania in 2010 and the Bergen Lines coastal ferry in 1973. I think you grandparents had the right idea pre-A/C!

Mura

Mura

The pool was heated on our Norway cruise as out friend was in it daily even cruising the polar ice cap

I have not been in the pool yet this trip on Regatta but will test the water later

it is a bit cool since we left Bermuda yesterday & a bit bumpy so not many in the pool ;)