Norwegian to no longer offer UBP as of May 1st??

keeponcruising

No, no new news. I just had the ships confused. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure I knew there was a Star. Haha!

I just hate it when that happens:o. I checked the prices on the Sky after it went all inclusive and a balcony for two on a 4 day cruise came in at just over $1100, about 2.5 times more than the same balcony would have cost before the change.

Epic 7 day mini-suite Jan. 2015 ( Drink Package) No DSC. 749.00 per

Escape 7day Balcony Oct. 2016 ( Drinks, 4 SDP, DSC) 1,049.00 per

Simple math $600.00 more. Yes we get 4 Speciality Rest., but bottom line is it is costing more!

... Simple math $600.00 more. Yes we get 4 Speciality Rest., but bottom line is it is costing more!

No kidding, select the 250 minutes "free" WiFi option AND shorex credits instead ... without 18% added on top :rolleyes:

Wait, something doesn't add up right with the math - pay more & get less, how much are they worth again :D

Or, opt out as suggested - go with the last minute Sail Away rates (if available) - 7 nights Western Carib @ $299 p/p or Eastern Carib @ $449, 7 nights Bermuda @ $499, 7 night Mexico @ $349 & Alaska @ $399, etc. - majority of the cabins might be sold, but not all of them ... the Upsell Fairy department is very busy these days & counter-offers are being accepted

As long as folks are finding good deals, go for it - quarterly results will be out shortly, should be an interesting one

No kidding, select the 250 minutes "free" WiFi option AND shorex credits instead ... without 18% added on top :rolleyes:

Wait, something doesn't add up right with the math - pay more & get less, how much are they worth again :D

Or, opt out as suggested - go with the last minute Sail Away rates (if available) - 7 nights Western Carib @ $299 p/p or Eastern Carib @ $449, 7 nights Bermuda @ $499, 7 night Mexico @ $349 & Alaska @ $399, etc. - majority of the cabins might be sold, but not all of them ... the Upsell Fairy department is very busy these days & counter-offers are being accepted

As long as folks are finding good deals, go for it - quarterly results will be out shortly, should be an interesting one

The fact that the Upsell department has started taking incoming calls again and the daily postings of people getting upsells makes me believe they cannot sell the suites at the current prices. Suites costs have skyrocketed, where you might still find a deal in non-suite cabins.

Edited by SuiteCruiser

I have gotten tons of marketing emails urging me to book now for free drinks and all the other perks the cruise lines are offering. They are certainly trying to create the sense of urgency through these perks that will "end" in so many days....With the prices staying the same or as I noticed for my cruise next month the price actually went up $30 dollars well after the 90 day mark. NCL is trying to get cruisers to book based on the perks while being able to keep the price of the cabins at about the same price even close to sailing. When I sailed on the Epic two years ago I booked at about 30 days out and the price I paid for a spa mini-suite was the same as a balcony cabin is going for right now. With the addition of the sail away price which includes no perks they are trying to sail with more cabins being booked at full or close to full price. I have been checking to see if my cabin category drops in price and like I said it went up. It is only about 36 days till we sail and I have not seen much movement on the cabins during a mock booking. If the price doesn't drop I think I might have a good chance at a decent upgrade!

Hmm...

Nov 2014, 7 days Jewel SF, $1,749 pp, $300 OBC per cabin.

Apr 2016, 7 days Jewel SF, $1,749 pp, free UBP, UDP, free DSC, Shorex.

Apr 2017, 7 days Jewel SF, $1,899 pp, free UBP, SDP, Shorex, Internet

One's experience does not speak for all.

Hmmmm....November and April...not real comparison pricing.

All the cruise lines have raised prices. NCL's promotions aren't causing the rise in prices, demand is.

If that was the case, they wouldn't be selling off their suites to fill them, and doing fire sales at 30 days to try and fill the rest of the ship.

Hmmmm....November and April...not real comparison pricing.

I see you chose to ignore the April to April comparison in my post. But still...

Norwegian Getaway, 7 Day Caribbean / Miami:

Nov 2016: Balcony, from $879

Apr 2017: Balcony, from $1149

Jewel, 7 Day Mex Riv:

Nov 2016: Balcony, from $989

Apr 2017: Balcony, from $1189

I'd say April and November are comparable enough for the purposes of this discussion.

Edited by triptolemus

I see you chose to ignore the April to April comparison in my post. But still...

Jewel, 7 Day Mex Riv:

I'd say April and November are comparable enough for the purposes of this discussion.

How about this:

Getaway, Jan. '15: Balcony for $769 pp with $200 OBC

Escape, Jan. '16: Balcony for $749 pp with UBP and $50 OBC

Interestingly enough, a gallon of milk cost more in 2016, but my cruise didn't.

Was that before or after the Star went all-inclusive?

Before.

We enjoy our cruises and drink more alcohol than normal at home, but still only run up a bill of about $350 for two weeks for both of us. I usually buy the 10 bottle wine package with has about a 20 percent discount and then an occasional beer, martini or scotch.

The drinks packages are never a bargain for us. We have one for our Sun Alaska cruise in September, only because it was offered as part of the deal.

Before.

We enjoy our cruises and drink more alcohol than normal at home, but still only run up a bill of about $350 for two weeks for both of us. I usually buy the 10 bottle wine package with has about a 20 percent discount and then an occasional beer, martini or scotch.

The drinks packages are never a bargain for us. We have one for our Sun Alaska cruise in September, only because it was offered as part of the deal.

No, it wasn't before or after. Someone else pointed out that the Star is not all-inclusive. I was thinking of the Sky.

If that was the case, they wouldn't be selling off their suites to fill them, and doing fire sales at 30 days to try and fill the rest of the ship.

It's called inventory adjustment. NCL has a relatively unique product in their suite and haven products. Pricing there will therefore be much more sensitive and need adjusting. All the major lines have greatly increased prices and everyone cuts prices before sailing to maximize gross income. Sure the beverage package is an expense they have to cover, but much of that is done with the 18% surcharge. The other thing with the perks is that they are conditioning their clients to a more upscale cruise experience.

I am sailing this summer on MSC and NCL has made me appreciate the specialty restaurants and the ease of the beverage package (we normally drink very rarely otherwise). One of the first things I did was to check out MSC's specialty restaurants (booked, but cancelled) and their drink packages. So, at least for me, their strategy is working. :rolleyes::eek:

Exactly.

Of course it's not that way in all cases. My point simply is that it is not fair to say that prices are up across the board and everyone is getting hosed because of the promos. Sure, there's some of that. But not always.

I agree that not all rooms on all ships are going up. I simply showed an example of my experience with a ridiculous price increase accompanied with perks we have no use for. We would much prefer the lower price and a bunch of OBC to spend as we wish like we had in 2015.

LrgPizza stated that he had not seen prices affect him which is great. I wanted to show the other side of the equation.

Jewel, 7 Day Mex Riv:

April (spring break time) is NOT price comparable to November excluding thanksgiving.

April has tons of families who can cruise, so the price is high. November kids are in school, harder to fill a cruise price is lower.

April (except for tran Atlantic cruises) is more expensive than May cruise. I know because my anniversary is May 1 and we cruise most years for it. The months that compare to May are, November, December and January for prices, and those months are EXTREMELY high for the holiday sailing weeks.

As for UBP, I can care less for it, because we don't drink much. I always book suites so it's been free, but I would never purchase it separately.

Indeed.

Thankfully, the perks are here for the time being. DW and I have 6 cruises booked with UBP and SDP at minimum. Two of those are in Haven cabins (rest are minisuites), so those also have the 250 minute internet package, and shorex credit.

Clearly, there are those of us that are booking up, and not in lower end accommodations.

FDR has publicly stated that he is looking to increase revenue through value added packages, and not cut costs. Personally, I prefer the direction he is going, as it presents Norwegian as a premium level cruise operator, rather than a competitor to Carnival.

Thankfully, the perks are here for the time being. DW and I have 6 cruises booked with UBP and SDP at minimum. Two of those are in Haven cabins (rest are minisuites), so those also have the 250 minute internet package, and shorex credit.

Clearly, there are those of us that are booking up, and not in lower end accommodations.

FDR has publicly stated that he is looking to increase revenue through value added packages, and not cut costs. Personally, I prefer the direction he is going, as it presents Norwegian as a premium level cruise operator, rather than a competitor to Carnival.

Premium level cruise operator? Just because your prices indicate you are premium does not mean that you are. 2 years ago the food was amazing. Last year good but a BIG drop-off. I am hoping that happened because of the saturation of the UDP and now that it has been scaled back to the SDP hopefully the food quality will return back to amazing. If the food stays the same as last May then they are miles away from premium.

The new cruiser, I guess, may perceive the marketing ploy as something greater than what it is but many seasoned cruisers see it for what it is. NCL is right in the mix with Carnival, RCCL, Holland, Princess and Celebrity. They are all pretty much Ford vs Chevy.

Cruising has become en vogue so the demand is high. Thus those that have been enjoying lower prices now must weather the storm until cruising is no longer main stream and the cruise lines will have a glutton of ships in their inventory. It will be interesting to see how they adapt once that happens.

This is all my opinion and I am not trying to sway anyone else's.

Edited by kdzkatz

I would have to disagree. I don't think NCL is a premium line. It is Carnival's competition and if NCL wants to become a premium line they will have to do a lot of work and spend a whole lot of money to convince people that they have changed from a mass-market line to a premium line. If and this is a big IF, the refurbs that the ships are going to undergo, change the ships to a more premium type look, that will be the first step, but that step alone will not change NCL to a premium line. The second step, which will be harder for NCL to achieve, is going to cost NCL millions upon millions upon millions in advertising to change people's perception of NCL. Not only will it take money to change people's minds, but it will take a lot of time, as it won't happen overnight and might never happen.

I would have to disagree. I don't think NCL is a premium line. It is Carnival's competition and if NCL wants to become a premium line they will have to do a lot of work and spend a whole lot of money to convince people that they have changed from a mass-market line to a premium line. If and this is a big IF, the refurbs that the ships are going to undergo, change the ships to a more premium type look, that will be the first step, but that step alone will not change NCL to a premium line. The second step, which will be harder for NCL to achieve, is going to cost NCL millions upon millions upon millions in advertising to change people's perception of NCL. Not only will it take money to change people's minds, but it will take a lot of time, as it won't happen overnight and might never happen.

It will also take a sustained effort to improve customer service, food quality, etc. It's not just perception. Del Rio and/or industry insiders have said that the goal for NCL is to move up on the cruise line food chain, to at least Celebrity level if not higher. Only time will tell if he will be able to pull it off.

Premium level cruise operator? Just because your prices indicate you are premium does not mean that you are. 2 years ago the food was amazing. Last year good but a BIG drop-off. I am hoping that happened because of the saturation of the UDP and now that it has been scaled back to the SDP hopefully the food quality will return back to amazing. If the food stays the same as last May then they are miles away from premium.

The new cruiser, I guess, may perceive the marketing ploy as something greater than what it is but many seasoned cruisers see it for what it is. NCL is right in the mix with Carnival, RCCL, Holland, Princess and Celebrity. They are all pretty much Ford vs Chevy.

Cruising has become en vogue so the demand is high. Thus those that have been enjoying lower prices now must weather the storm until cruising is no longer main stream and the cruise lines will have a glutton of ships in their inventory. It will be interesting to see how they adapt once that happens.

This is all my opinion and I am not trying to sway anyone else's.

'

There are multiple people on the Holland America board that would disagree with you on this one ;). Holland America is commonly considered a premium tier cruise line, but several that were exclusive to HAL have switched over to NCL due to the superb food and service, myself included.

And yes, you can include NCL in the premium tier. The Haven accommodations compete quite nicely even with Viking Ocean cruises, Oceania, and Regent.

And this is coming from someone who was just on Star, so I am well aware of the changes and trends. The cruiser that FDR is going after...the premium level cruiser... appreciates the changes by and large.

but enough of that.

This is Norwegian EDGE. Have you seen the Gem since it was dry-docked? It could place in the Celebrity fleet.

And that is also why they budgeted $400 mil ;). FDR is well aware of how expensive this will be. But only time will truly tell.

This is Norwegian EDGE. Have you seen the Gem since it was dry-docked? It could place in the Celebrity fleet.

And that is also why they budgeted $400 mil ;). FDR is well aware of how expensive this will be. But only time will truly tell.

Haven't seen the Gem, but have read reviews like this one for April 1st cruise: ...Bathrooms: no noticeable changes and the sinks are cracked (have been this way for years) and our shower head was separating from the hose and spent a lot of time spraying the wall. We did have nice new carpeting in our cabin, however, some cabins still had the old carpeting. Bow cam tv channel kept pixelating after a few minutes.

I cruise on Celebrity as well and even with the the renovations to the existing ships, I would not consider NCL a premium line competing with Celebrity. There is a lot more to a premium line, then the look of the interior of the ships. Time will tell, if (1) NCL will make the improvements that they must make to be considered a premium line and then (2) if they can convince the public that they have drastically changed.

The most important piece of the puzzle is the public and it will take a lot to change their perception from seeing NCL as a budget/mass-market cruise line to a premium line. You can say you are one thing, but if you don't make all the necessary changes and don't get those new premium line customers in the ships, it is all for nil.