Celebrity Cruises Names New Chief Marketing Officer

ChucktownSteve

But it does....we love our under 55 guests and those that book suites.

Quote below of LLP from first post on thread.. need to attract more affluent travelers ,,,,, guess there may be some sticker shock with EDGE...

"This is an exciting time for Celebrity," said Lutoff-Perlo. "We are excited for Peter to join our team. We are looking forward to him bringing his many years of creativity, brand strategy, disruptive and bold marketing, and success with other well-known consumer brands. His experience and approach is perfectly aligned with the direction we are setting for Celebrity. We anticipate he will do wonderful things for our brand and set us apart in the way that Celebrity deserves. "With so many thrilling initiatives and the introduction of the Edge Class on the immediate horizon, we feel that Peter's impressive experience and style of creativity, combined with his ability to develop ideas based on an original, novel, or unconventional approaches, will be exactly what we need to attract more affluent travelers to sail with us."

Edited by hcat

Quote below of LLP from first post on thread.. need to attract more affluent travelers ,,,,, guess there may be some sticker shock with EDGE...

"This is an exciting time for Celebrity," said Lutoff-Perlo. "We are excited for Peter to join our team. We are looking forward to him bringing his many years of creativity, brand strategy, disruptive and bold marketing, and success with other well-known consumer brands. His experience and approach is perfectly aligned with the direction we are setting for Celebrity. We anticipate he will do wonderful things for our brand and set us apart in the way that Celebrity deserves. "With so many thrilling initiatives and the introduction of the Edge Class on the immediate horizon, we feel that Peter's impressive experience and style of creativity, combined with his ability to develop ideas based on an original, novel, or unconventional approaches, will be exactly what we need to attract more affluent travelers to sail with us."

INHO ms. Perloff really means .. To boil this quote down to the basics

we want better profits while delivering lower benefits, we don't want the current customer base who we think are less affluent and g-d forbid value cruisers who remember what we used to deliver anymore. I find this statement mildly insulting. I guess she wants Celebrity to be the Bespoke Cruise line to affluent masses... :rolleyes:

Agree this new hire will be just another mouth.

We just returned from Eclipse. While the crew and staff are still up to the standards we have had with Celebrity since 1992, the food and amenities are not. The main dining room menus suck. No other word for it. I ate more off the everyday menu than the strange concoctions on the menu. Sadly, we had the best dinners in Tuscan.

For the first time EVER the towels in our bathroom were TORN and not the quality we have always had. We had a "hump" cabin and love the arrangements in the cabins with the beds by the sliders. Our cabin attendants were tremendous and we always had a wonderful experience with them.:)

We have 2 cruises still planned with Celebrity but I agree, being Elite Plus does absolutely nothing for me. Loyalty with Celebrity means nothing to them either. Over 2000 Elite were on this cruise. Guess we'll have to wait for another 10 years for a new level. Most of us agree we will NEVER reach that stupid Zenith level, ever. Michael's was empty almost all of the time. Waste. Sushi now being Bistro, not for us.:mad:

Celebrity can have their young new hip sailors but almost all of the folks on our 14 day cruises are older than 55, have a great time and know what cruising was. I say go with the times but not to the degree that Celebrity seems to be heading. They change things every 6 months!.

All the changes to the upper echelons means nothing to us. They are pencil pushers who just need to make the bottom line, MONEY, MONEY. We can fall by the wayside but what Celebrity forgets is that many of us have tried and will definitely try other lines. ;)

Pat C

Yes, you are quite correct that many on Cruise Critic have complained about the website, even though when perusing other 'cruise sites with forums, open facebook forums, twitter, as well as 'complaint' boards about Celebrity, there may be, at most, three posts of many, that even mention the website.

bon voyage

The Celebrity solution when people complain too much about the website is to shoot the messenger.

I wonder if he will be replacing the current Celebrity Cruises on CC who only cuts and pastes verbiage from X's web site like a bot. If so I'd like to welcome him if he can do a better job than the current bot. Maybe he could take a lesson or two from Bonnie over at Azamara who's the Blogging chieftain.

It wasn't always like this. :)

Frankly, I don't care about their marketing. If you over promise and under deliver, people will get wise to you eventually.

Just give us a good onboard experience with consistent policies from ship to ship so we know what to expect. Oh, and it wouldn't hurt to fix the website either, but I'm not holding my breath on that one. Apparently that's not exciting and leading edge. It's certainly disruptive, though. :rolleyes:

Having read all the responses I think, Happy Cruiser 6143, you summed it up quite well! Thanks. :)

Perhaps their next new hire should be Director of Quality Control, which is obviously an open position.

"Modern Luxury" without quality and consistency is merely wishful thinking and in reality, a deception.

I do hope this new fellow thoroughly investigates the current climate of guest experience, all of the Perloff cuts, and pricing structures, before embarking on new campaigns.

Edited by sealover155

Perhaps their next new hire should be Director of Quality Control, which is obviously an open position.

"Modern Luxury" without quality and consistency is merely wishful thinking and in reality, a deception.

I do hope this new fellow thoroughly investigates the current climate of guest experience, all of the Perloff cuts, and pricing structures, before embarking on new campaigns.

What makes you think that with him reporting to Perloff it will make a difference? I suspect she want's what she envisions Celebrity to be. Could it be that's why the position needed to be filled? The marketplace will determine if she is correct or fails.

Anyone remember the new Coke?

Edited by ChucktownSteve

What makes you think that with him reporting to Perloff it will make a difference? I suspect she want's what she envisions Celebrity to be. Could it be that's why the position needed to be filled? The marketplace will determine if she is correct or fails.

Good point.

Guess I'm just a "glass is half-full" kind of gal. Wish she (Perlo) or someone she listens to, would just get on a ship without rosy colored glasses and observe.

In another lifetime, I was in management for a major American airline. Part of my job was to occasionally check-ride the flights to ensure quality and consistency. Obviously that job went away but it was a time of a vastly improved service and guest experience compared to today.

I'm available to fill the position, but I won't hold my breath.

Edited by sealover155

I don't think there is any question that Celebrity has redefined itself and will continue to do so. So far, it's not redefining itself in a good way.

Corporations strive for brand recognition. It is the mainstay of successful businesses. The automotive industry is a good example of the importance of this and there are a lot of similarities between that industry and the cruise ship industry. Take Cadillac, GM's flagship brand, for example. It was, beyond question, the most innovative and best selling luxury auto brand from the start. It had the best brand loyalty and number of return buyers in the automotive industry.

Then came the oil squeeze, competition from Japan in the 70s and 80s, the downsizing of the American automobile, labor union difficulties and poor quality. GM and Cadillac set out to redefine themselves and cultivate new markets, build less expensive cars that got better mileage and abandon their loyal customers wo were very willing to pay more for the quality that the Cadillac brand had delivered for 80 years. Does anyone remember Cadillac's Cimeron? No?. Didn't think so. Sort of like The New Coke mentioned above. FAIL.

My view is that Lutoff-Perlo is taking Celebrity in the same direction GM took Cadillac in the 70s and 80s. Searching for new markets and new buyers of their flagship product, they diluted it to the point that it was unrecognizable from other brands in the market. Rather than distinguish Cadillac, they spoiled it. Cadillac lost a very large part of their market share, along with the rest of GM to be sure but Cadillac sales suffered.

Marketing, which is intimately tied to sales, doesn't need to be disruptive or on the leading edge. Celebrity didn't need to reinvent itself. It was fine before all the supposedly innovative things LP, incidentally doing nothing but follow the rest of the cruise industry, has done.

I also think that LP has misread the cruise demographic that is going to spend money on cruising. It isn't the Millennials or the X-Gens who have jobs, kids and mortgages. It is the adults over 50 will control a full 70% of all disposable cash in the United States by 2017. Moreover, given that this entire demographic is either in or preparing for retirement and the fixed incomes that go along with that, this crowd isn't going to blow their annual cruise budget on one cruise in Penthouse Suite and exclusive dining when they can do 4 or more cruises with less exclusivity and spend the same amount, if not more doing that.

With the quality of service cuts and the clear focus on a specific consumer who LP believes will pay the upcharge for exclusive accommodations and dining, she may have substantially reduced the potential for Celebrity sales. That's my bet but who am I to claim that I know. Her ships, however, will not sail profitably with Inside, OV and standard Balcony cabins undersold.

It seems to me that LP has certainly managed to disappoint a large number of brand loyal cruisers who, heretofore, were willing to pay more per day than say, Carnival, NCL or HAL, because fellow cruisers were more to their liking, the food and service were better and X-cellence was everywhere to be found aboard. That Celebrity, like Cadillac in the 70s and 80s, is failing to distinguish itself, the demographic with money to spend and who is looking for value in spending it, is going to pick the lower priced cabin on other lines now that the X-cellence, the excellence that defined Celebrity Cruise lines, is seemingly disappearing.

Edited by jbuch02

Outstanding analysis, jbuch02. DW and I were blessed to be able to retire early at age 55 and 56. We had never cruised before we retired but as soon as we did we started cruising. I guess we shouldn't have chosen Celebrity since we are not in their demographic going forward. I don't get it. We plan to cruise for at least 20 or more years. We are delighted with Celebrity but are starting to think we are missing something. If we are so delighted with Celebrity, why do we keep trying to justify moving from an Aqua cabin to an OV cabin on Azamara, Oceania or Crystal?

There are only two ways to generate sales. Increase the volume of current customers or attract new ones. In any given year, a company loses an average of 20% of their customers which have to be replaced.

The new customer is a lot more expensive to acquire. Why would a company knowingly throw away an established customer base to attract new customers?

I've already begun receiving more upscale cruise line offerings from companies I've never inquired to before. Looks like at least this customer is ripe for the plucking with the right offer.

There are only two ways to generate sales. Increase the volume of current customers or attract new ones. In any given year, a company loses an average of 20% of their customers which have to be replaced.

The new customer is a lot more expensive to acquire. Why would a company knowingly throw away an established customer base to attract new customers?

I've already begun receiving more upscale cruise line offerings from companies I've never inquired to before. Looks like at least this customer is ripe for the plucking with the right offer.

Yeppers, you hit the nail on the head, for me at least, '... ripe for the plucking with the right offer.'!

Unless very underwhelming, service would be secondary based on the cruise line, as there are a few lines I would be kicking and screaming to be pulled on because I do not care for them at all! The top suite would need to be priced as the lowest inside for me to even consider them, service quality or not. LOL.... Just my take/desires and not under duress.

I receive the more upscale adverts frequently too, yet when pricing out the itineraries I like, my bank is not ready to approve me for those sailings, with my spouse being the 'current' President of the bank... :D

I say go for it, to make a change or see how those lines compare and if you would return to X. Personally, I see no need to make a lateral change, only upwards when I can afford it or downwards when I really cannot afford X...

bon voyage

Outstanding analysis, jbuch02.

jbuch02, your post is a perfect declaration of the current state of Celebrity. Spot on! If only someone in authority at Celebrity would agree.:(

Totally agree -- Jbuch02's post really nailed it! :cool: (Where's that 'like' button, when you really need it? ;))

New Coke? How about Dynamic Dining. Ships were designed for it and there were plans to institute it throughout the entire line. I remember reading about the exhaustive studies and research that they were supposed to have used to come up with what was maybe not a complete failure but one that was a grand headache for many, many cruisers as well as RCCL and has had to undergo a complete change. Not one person on this board or another that I can recall or any agent I know was ever asked about it or even saw so much as a quick poll from RCCL.

Some loved the idea until they tried it, others loved it and still do, but many like my wife and I who tend to take cruises of 10 or more days decided to cancel when we finally found out about how it operated. We had a cruise booked on one of the first leaving Cape Liberty on the Quantum. It soon changed but we stuck with our switch back to a Celebrity cruise on an M class ship, not an amusement park as test subjects to what many claimed to be the FUTURE of all cruising, Dynamic Dining, a sky hook ride and a big pink bear.

It seems like many large corporations make decisions in the back room and put these plans into play using information from some agency or focus group that gives them the feedback they wanted. Many "new and improved" products and ideas are simply neither new nor improved, but are changes that often go in the wrong direction.

Change is often good but when you have a loyal client base that has chosen you product for 15-20-30 years it seems crazy to go TOO far astray unless you plan on becoming a different cruise line altogether.

Just an opinion.

bosco

Guess we'll have to ride it out...many CEOs, Dining gurus, entertainment partnerships, gimmicks etc..over the years, they have come and gone....MARCO POLO, X the rules , etc..

They have great ships and just need elegant/modern service, competent staff, excellent food, well appointed /clean, staterooms and nice music/entertainment AND a fully functional tech presence.....that's what keeps us and many others as customers......much as they try to ruin a good thing, they have not yet succeeded....they do try hard however!

So this guy worked at an internet outfit that links up cheap room rentals with individual house owners and those people trying to get bottom dollar cheap places to stay? Way to go Celebrity for furthering your desire to be considered upscale travel. Who is going to train him on cruising???

It turns out Giorgi has actually been on a cruise ship but I doubt he paid for the cruise. I'm sure you can select some interesting comments from this article too!

https://skift.com/2016/04/05/celebrity-cruises-is-turning-to-airbnb-for-a-cmo/

The cruise world’s newest marketing chief is coming from one of the hospitality industry’s biggest disruptors.

Peter Giorgi, global head of advertising and content for Airbnb, is leaving Silicon Valley for a job as chief marketing officer at Celebrity Cruises. Before moving to Airbnb, Giorgi worked for eight years at ad agency Crispin Porter + Bogusky.

The Miami-based cruise line, which is part of Royal Caribbean Cruises, formally announced the hire Tuesday morning; Giorgi starts April 15.

“The moment that I toured one of the Celebrity ships and was faced head-on with just how incredible that offering is, I knew that there was just an unbelievable opportunity to market this brand and this product and this experience,” he said in an interview Monday.

The CMO role is new at Celebrity and includes oversight of brand strategy and development, digital marketing, social media, research, loyalty, direct marketing, and advertising.

In the announcement about Giorgi’s hiring, the cruise line highlighted his “style of creativity, combined with his ability to develop ideas based on an original, novel, or unconventional approaches.”

At Airbnb, where he started working in September 2014, he launched social, film, digital, and cultural campaigns as well as digital content. Accounts at Crispin Porter + Bogusky included Volkswagen, Jose Cuervo, and vitaminwater.

“Peter comes from a background and resume and experience and success in redefining brands, in making them stand out and finding their moment of truth, if you will — being a little disruptive in how they not only develop their strategy, but how they then communicate their brand and strategy to the consumer to get consumers to engage in sometimes very crowded markets,” Celebrity president and CEO Lisa Lutoff-Perlo said Monday.

She called Giorgi’s experience at Airbnb an “added value” for the new and different vacation options it gives travelers, the way the company communicates with customers, and the way it campaigns through digital platforms.

Giorgi said he doesn’t see any upheaval in store for the cruise industry that would be comparable to Airbnb’s effect on hotels or Uber’s impact on taxis.

“I don’t think the cruise industry needs to be disrupted in the same way, but that doesn’t mean there’s not work to do,” he said. “I haven’t done day one yet. But certainly I think there are a number of opportunities and maybe moments of not necessarily friction, but possible tension or other things that have become status quo that I’m intrigued and anxious to get in and think about in a really deep way.”

He said he sees big potential for marketing especially in the digital and mobile space.

“We’ve got some of the most technologically advanced ships in the world, and we need to reflect that, I think, in everything a consumer touches,” Giorgi said.

Lutoff-Perlo, who was named CEO in December 2014, told Skift earlier this year that she was “sick of the same sameness” in cruise marketing. With a new ad campaign and rebranding that launched in January, her goal was to more effectively articulate the personality of the brand.

“I believe that the cruise industry still has a big opportunity that no one is approaching in the right way,” Lutoff-Perlo said Monday. “And part of what is my intention, my desire, my focus and my determination is to make Celebrity be that one cruise brand that truly breaks out and breaks away so that people undestand and value and want to participate in cruising — of course, with Celebrity.”

For his part, Giorgi said he thinks the rebranding efforts were spot on.

“It seems to be so intuitive and indicative of what’s different,” he said. “It’s just about adding more context and telling a bigger story. We’ve got the plot and I just want to add more chapters to it.”

He said he sees big potential for marketing especially in the digital and mobile space.

“We’ve got some of the most technologically advanced ships in the world, and we need to reflect that, I think, in everything a consumer touches,” Giorgi said.

Lutoff-Perlo, who was named CEO in December 2014, told Skift earlier this year that she was “sick of the same sameness” in cruise marketing. QUOTE]

I think providing your clients with the most technically advanced ships and providing a cruise experience that "exceeds all expectations" could achieve these two goals at the same time.

I know, because that is what lead us to our first cruises with Celebrity and pretty much has kept us coming back even though they are not hitting the same mark they did back some 20+ cruises ago.

bosco

I wonder if he will be replacing the current Celebrity Cruises on CC who only cuts and pastes verbiage from X's web site like a bot. If so I'd like to welcome him if he can do a better job than the current bot. Maybe he could take a lesson or two from Bonnie over at Azamara who's the Blogging chieftain.

Hi Steve,

Totally agree that Celebrity should be more engaging and passionate about their brand with our members. Cutting and pasting is simply not going to get it done. There's no identity, no connection, and, no passion. While I sincerely wish things were different, I'm not getting any sense that they care to engage at any higher level than they currently are - and that's sad.

I will never understand the completely different mindset between brands within the industry. From my experiences on the Azamara forum, Larry Pimentel (President & CEO of Azamara) totally gets it, and they appreciate and respect our Cruise Critic community. Not only do they appreciate us, but they have a CBO who interacts with us. In addition, Azamara encourages our opinions on the "Azamara Asks" sub-forum - which BTW was my idea. This came to reality, after Azamara had initially planned to offer an advisory committee, but they opted for the "Azamara Asks" forum instead. Big kudos to Azamara for their outstanding efforts in Social Media. Other brands look at us, like we're from another planet. Why can't they realize that we're their most passionate guests and advocates ? IMO, they should eagerly desire to learn everthing they can from us ! But no. It's as if they are totally disconnected as to our passion, which is mind boggling.

Hopefully, in the not too distant future... Celebrity will learn how to appreciate the value of our community, and be passionate about what we have to offer. It's what I hope for, each and every day.

Hi Steve,

Totally agree that Celebrity should be more engaging and passionate about their brand with our members. Cutting and pasting is simply not going to get it done. There's no identity, no connection, and, no passion. While I sincerely wish things were different, I'm not getting any sense that they care to engage at any higher level than they currently are - and that's sad.

I will never understand the completely different mindset between brands within the industry. From my experiences on the Azamara forum, Larry Pimentel (President & CEO of Azamara) totally gets it, and they appreciate and respect our Cruise Critic community. Not only do they appreciate us, but they have a CBO who interacts with us. In addition, Azamara encourages our opinions on the "Azamara Asks" sub-forum - which BTW was my idea. This came to reality, after Azamara had initially planned to offer an advisory committee, but they opted for the "Azamara Asks" forum instead. Big kudos to Azamara for their outstanding efforts in Social Media. Other brands look at us, like we're from another planet. Why can't they realize that we're their most passionate guests and advocates ? IMO, they should eagerly desire to learn everthing they can from us ! But no. It's as if they are totally disconnected as to our passion, which is mind boggling.

Hopefully, in the not too distant future... Celebrity will learn how to appreciate the value of our community, and be passionate about what we have to offer. It's what I hope for, each and every day.

Andy,

Thank you for your input. I concur with what you said about their attitude. What I get from X's sister company is that they and Bonnie TRULY care about their cruisers. That makes me want to look more to AZ especially as long as the two lines are getting closer in price. I am so looking forward to my first AZ cruise next year. I'm getting the feeling that X talks about it while AZ delivers it.

BTW loved your Journey live from. Thankx.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Hi Andy,

great thoughts, as usual!

Unfortunately, IMHO, they want to take over this Community's concept and move it to their own platform as a public relations vehicle, rather as a true info and resolutions conduit for cruisers.They used us and this Commuity and practiced with the Original Celeb Official...and then moved most of those postings to their website and other social media. As noted by many, current postings by Celeb Official are mostly basic copy and paste and add very little to the conversation. I think that approach, here and elsewhere, will not be as effective, as it is clearly biased and has only one goal...sell cabins!

We'll ceck out AZ one of these days!

Edited by hcat

Let's hope Celebrity isn't moving into the "promise the world and supply the basics" type of product that doesn't live up to its claims but is marketed with the target client being a new customer, a person with little prior knowledge of the product and a client whose repeat business is not that important. The markets for vacations, entertainment and travel will supply a tremendous market of new cruisers and earn very substantial corporate profits until eventually the product’s failings are realized and the bottom of their market drops out.

Then comes the forced re-branding and new management who step in to attempt a makeover that may or may not last.

How many of those plastic pasta makers, mini hand banging garlic choppers, micro wave magic egg cookers or any of the hundreds of other "new and improved" gizmos that are the greatest thing since sliced bread? How many millions of dollars worth of plastic improvements to the quality of our lives wind up in the recycling bin only to become melted down and injection molded into another boon to our existence? How many millions of dollars are made with a system of well designed, and although not actually untrue but are misleading, claims and advertising?

KitchenAid company was started in 1919 by The Hobart Corporation and my first recollection of one of their excellent machines was more than 50 years ago in my aunt's kitchen. The very same mixer is still in use today by my cousin who inherited it. It has been repaired twice to replace the power cord.

Imagine a product that is still working and has been working for 50 years, delivering everything it promised from day one. Just look at any of the home shopping networks when it is KitchenAid day. Tens of thousands of units sold in as little as 4 hours. Sure the NEW ones may come in a variety of colors and even a few different sizes and may have a few new added gizmos to satisfy a few needs that the basic unit doesn't but the main unit, the machine that has been the heart and soul of the KitchenAid IS THE SAME OLD RELIABLE product that people have been buying and have been loyal to for almost a HUNDRED YEARS.

I want a KitchenAid cruise and not one by Ronco. I hope the new powers at be aren't going the way of the later but instead are working at improving the former or at least providing what it has for so many of us who have remained loyal. Using an example like KitchenAid they will always have a new client around every corner and a past client base that will always remain loyal if they do not destroy the basic foundation of what made them what they are.

OMO

bosco

Unfortunately, IMHO, they want to take over this Community's concept and move it to their own platform as a public relations vehicle, rather as a true info and resolutions conduit for cruisers.They used us and this Commuity and practiced with the Original Celeb Official...and then moved most of those postings to their website and other social media. As noted by many, current postings by Celeb Official are mostly basic copy and paste and add very little to the conversation. I think that approach, here and elsewhere, will not be as effective, as it is clearly biased and has only one goal...sell cabins!

We'll ceck out AZ one of these days!

Host Andy can explain this in more detail. :)