Menu for last night

At one time the menu for the last night of a cruise was not very good. Does anyone know what is currently being served in the MDR on the last night? I am trying to decided if I should make reservations in one of the alternative restaurants.

Thanks

Many people here recommend skipping the MDR on the final night of a cruise. On a 7 day cruise, the last night is a mishmosh of "selected" dishes from the line's Culinary panel of chefs. Generally not their best offerings, either.

Then one begs to ask whether the specialized dining selection will also be a reduced or a mish mash that night.

Wouldn't it also depend on the itinerary? If the second formal night, I would have thought they would have held back ingredients for a predetermined menu...but my experience and memory is limited. I always enjoyed my meals.

Then one begs to ask whether the specialized dining selection will also be a reduced or a mish mash that night.

Wouldn't it also depend on the itinerary? If the second formal night, I would have thought they would have held back ingredients for a predetermined menu...but my experience and memory is limited. I always enjoyed my meals.

The last night of the cruise is never a formal night.

Many people here recommend skipping the MDR on the final night of a cruise. On a 7 day cruise, the last night is a mishmosh of "selected" dishes from the line's Culinary panel of chefs. Generally not their best offerings, either.

This was on the last night of a 14 day cruise also. Nothing spectacular.

On our March 6th cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam, the international menu was gone on the last night. I can't remember what we had but it was better than that awful international menu!

Evidently HAL does listen to its passengers, then.

Completely subjective - I think people who 'complain' - not just say I've had better meals but that was good - 'complain' Have set their exception on perfect - and that aint happening on the major larger lines -

Prepare it for me -- let me pick what I want - serve it to me with grace and a smile - put me with my wonderful husband and new friends - clean it up after I walk out feeling great !!!!!!

Thats a great dinner and always sad on my last night

Prepare it for me -- let me pick what I want - serve it to me with grace and a smile - put me with my wonderful husband and new friends - clean it up after I walk out feeling great !!!!!!

Totally agree!!

Completely subjective - I think people who 'complain' - not just say I've had better meals but that was good - 'complain' Have set their exception on perfect - and that aint happening on the major larger lines -

I am sooooo looking forward to not being chief cook and bottle washer.....

And I can only hope that HAL's 'everyday' menu is less boring than Princess's. I particularly like a more exotic 'international' menu and found the guinea fowl served on Costa was always better prepared than the everyday beef or whatever. Yes, some try too hard to be 'exotic', but I can get Cesar salad and chicken at home. Bring on the novelties.

mf57 - perfect case in point - you like exotic - my husband will try exotic -

me, not so much - everyone is different and that's why some one really complaining on this board is pointless - let HAL know what you would like to see - bring on the red meat and yummy sides -

What we've seen here is that, in comparison to other nights on the cruise the last night's menu is sub-par. That's not necessarily a subjective judgement.

We never liked the International menu on the last night, so we got into the habit of doing the Pinnacle that evening (nice way to end a cruise as well). Recently the menus have improved (IMO), but still not as good as the other nights IMO.

As I am a new HAL cruiser, I research things to death. I watched a video on the innovations of HAL and one of the subjects was the shear volumes of food loaded in and how the kitchens have ordering and menu design down to (in my mind) an art form, so that there is little left over and little wastage. I guess the flip side of it means that by last few meals, selection may not be up to par. The flip side to that is if we want a full menu choice right to the end that it would increase our cruise costs to cover the wastage. We wouldn't be happy with that either....which leads back to esimon's comment about perfection, but I am not sure it has resolved the OP's initial question of whether to book special dining or not.

IRL_Joanie's husband Roger (sorry forgot his username) has posted a relatively recent menu for Caribbean sailings where the last day are offerings from certain Culinary Council chefs. Yes, Prime Rib is on the menu, along with the following:

Black sesame jumbo shrimp salad

Roasted Quail

Vegetable Curry

Pan-Seared Rainbow Trout

Lamb Shank

Pappardelle with Veal Ragout

I had a similar menu on a December trip and of course chose the Prime Rib.

Most recent experience on HAL of mine was January, 2016 aboard the Prinsendam.

I checked my menus that I brought home from that cruise. The selections for every course were tempting with many being selections from those on the Culinary Council. It was a fine last night dinner.

The infamous "International Dinner Menu" was not offered, thankfully.

Thanks for all the replies. It seems as if the choices on the menu are better than they were at one time so we will probably eat in the MDR. We will be assigned some night for dinner in the Pinnacle and I hope to try at least one Pinnacle lunch.

Thanks for all the replies. It seems as if the choices on the menu are better than they were at one time so we will probably eat in the MDR. We will be assigned some night for dinner in the Pinnacle and I hope to try at least one Pinnacle lunch.

You may be able to change your assigned Pinnacle dinner evening, depending on open slots. Just call the Pinnacle Grill and ask once you board and get your day and time.

Though DH and I enjoy the lunch offerings in the Lido and the Dive In grill, neither compares to the Pinnacle Grill lunch. We will try to have lunch at least once there, it's a pleasant change of pace for sure. We got the burger and the fish sandwich, and both were worth the $10 upcharge. I hope you try it and enjoy it too. Cheers!

IRL_Joanie's husband Roger (sorry forgot his username) has posted a relatively recent menu for Caribbean sailings where the last day are offerings from certain Culinary Council chefs. Yes, Prime Rib is on the menu, along with the following:

Black sesame jumbo shrimp salad

Roasted Quail

Vegetable Curry

Pan-Seared Rainbow Trout

Lamb Shank

Pappardelle with Veal Ragout

I had a similar menu on a December trip and of course chose the Prime Rib.

This was the menu for the last night on Nieuw Amsterdam last week. I had the lamb shank and it was OUTSTANDING!

Donna