Cuba, is Royal Caribbean learning from Carnival mistake?

No, the issue is not Cubans sailing to MIA. It is Cuban law that Cuban-Americans can not sail 'back to Cuba'. They can fly back, but their screwed up communist law still reads they 'can not sail back'.

Carnival is currently trying to get that changed.

R&D

Carnival says Cuba ship won't sail if Cuban-born passengers are banned this after protests and a lawsuit, I was wondering is Royal is watching Carnival's carnival and learning from it.

Do you have a link to a story or did you read this on the Carnival boards?

Cuba won't change it's policy, and Carnival won't cancel that service. Today the Cuban government sent Obama to hell, less than a month after his visit to the island.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-cuba-usa-idUSKCN0XF2A0

No surprise if RCI announces ports of call in Iran. All these regimes are laughing at the USA. This is unbelievable.

Do you have a link to a story or did you read this on the Carnival boards?

There are several stories about this in the Miami Herald.

Here is one example:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/cuba/article71879162.html

Here is another one from USA today:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/04/13/cuba-cruise-carnival-cuban-american-lawsuit/82973694/

Thanks for the articles but did I miss where Carnival said they wouldn't sail there unless Cuban Americans were allowed into the country? I already knew about the restrictions.

Thanks for the articles but did I miss where Carnival said they wouldn't sail there unless Cuban Americans were allowed into the country? I already knew about the restrictions.

If that is indeed the case, I haven't heard about it. I've been following the story pretty closely. My mother left Cuba in 1960 as a teenager. I've been outraged over this story.

If that is indeed the case, I haven't heard about it. I've been following the story pretty closely. My mother left Cuba in 1960 as a teenager. I've been outraged over this story.

First I heard too. I was wondering where the OP got their info.

I am looking for an article I saw today that said Fathom would skip Cuba until they allowed Cuban Americans to sail there. It was not on this forum.

Honestly if they followed through with that I think Royal would pounce and try to get there first with or without Cuban Americans.

Yes, get there first for what? To give the communist dictators more US cash? What is the big deal to be the first to Cuba? The first ship in will most likely run into more problems than we can imagine with that communist welcoming committee.

CCL and RCCL should both take a few steps back and re-think this Cuba deal.

R&D

I am looking for an article I saw today that said Fathom would skip Cuba until they allowed Cuban Americans to sail there. It was not on this forum.

Honestly if they followed through with that I think Royal would pounce and try to get there first with or without Cuban Americans.

I doubt they want a lawsuit and protest in front of their headquarter as Carnival experienced and have Secretary of State Kerry calling the action of no allowing Cuban born in their ship discrimination as he previously mentioned. Royal is smart but they don't usually make the first move

Yes, get there first for what? To give the communist dictators more US cash? What is the big deal to be the first to Cuba? The first ship in will most likely run into more problems than we can imagine with that communist welcoming committee.

CCL and RCCL should both take a few steps back and re-think this Cuba deal.

R&D

Exactly.

Check my last post with a link attached. There was an article in the Miami Herald today.

Edited by khm1

I doubt they want a lawsuit and protest in front of their headquarter as Carnival experienced and have Secretary of State Kerry calling the action of no allowing Cuban born in their ship discrimination as he previously mentioned. Royal is smart but they don't usually make the first move

Lots of good points here. However, don't get too confident on what Kerry says. Ask him why he tossed that grenade into the rice cache. It blew back at him, bit him in the A**, and he insisted that he wanted a purple heart for it!

Rick

Vietnam, '66-'67.

Edited by Pumbaamd

From what I've read, Cuba can only accommodate 2 ships. One medium size and one small ship. They also need stuff for tourists to do. I'm guessing RCL is waiting to see what Carnival does

It's not like tourists haven't been going to Cuba for years... Just not American ones.

I'm confused. Isn't this about a natural born Cuban who "escaped" Cuba basically telling them they can't return? So how is this discrimination?

Not that I'm supporting Cuba, but many countries have laws we do not like, and still visit.

Personally I think the whole thing is messed up, but lets not call it discrimination, because it is not.

Ditto. No interest in spending our hard earned money, and giving US dollars to them, to sail to a communist dictatorship.

R&D

LOL! So is it just "communist" dictatorships you boycott? How about other corrupt, oppressive governments (so long half the Caribbean Islands!). You can forget China and much of Europe....

Come to think of it. I believe our government is about as oppressive and subversive as it can get.

He who sits in judgment....