Drink Package Menu

Aussie One

Aussie One,

As said before. Each bar has a menu but that´s not a complete menu of all they can do (and sell). As I´m not an experienced bar person I find that strange too. I don´t know all the cocktails, longdrinks and more. So I do need a menu to chose from. And no, it´s not impossible to list all available cocktails on a menu. They did that before. And of course the bar staff is trained and has to be able to mix a certain array of standard cocktails and more. So surely they can list those!

The menu in the regular bars does only list the high priced specialty cocktails which are not included in the Classic Package. When I first saw this menu I was really confused as I thought that almost nothing is included in my package. I knew that the Martini Bar and the then Molecular Bar (now World Class Bar) are excluded. But I did expect a nice range of regular cocktails to be included. But none of the standard cocktails was listed in the menus of the other bars at all.

Last year on the Eclipse we did pick up a leaflet at one of the desks selling the beverage packages. Unfortunately I didn´t turn that leaflet over until I was back home. On the backside it listed not just all spirits like in the pdf linked earlier in this thread but also all available wines and a list of available standard cocktails including a Cosmopolitan, Long Island Ice Tea, Manhatten, Mojito, Caipirina and more (see photo here). None of those was listed in the standard bar menu.

Being German for me it is strange to ask for a cocktail not knowing what I have to pay for it. I can live with the upcharge of 18% called Service Charge (we are used that prices on a menu are what I pay - no VAT or any other charges which are added later). It even stranger to ask for something when you don´t know what you might ask for... Maybe that´s how the drink packages work out... don´t let the people know what´s available then they don´t drink it not knowing they can ask for it.

steamboats

steamboats, I am in complete agreement. If you get the Classic Package it mentions price limits for drinks when booking it or in the little leaflet but the prices of drinks are not widely available. Cocktails are available but unless you know your cocktails then it's an arduous task. Plus even if you know what you want do you really want to have to wait longer for your server as he/she is tied up running through the list of what is available (instead of just giving them a menu, every restaurant, bar I've been to on land has a menu). On our June Eclipse trip last year on the last but one night we met a couple of lovely ladies that had only ordered gin and tonic or Pinot Grigio. They had no idea they could have had so much more and would have loved to try some cocktails. IMO Celebrity are deliberately evasive as the more they tell passengers the more passengers will order.

steamboats, I am in complete agreement. If you get the Classic Package it mentions price limits for drinks when booking it or in the little leaflet but the prices of drinks are not widely available. Cocktails are available but unless you know your cocktails then it's an arduous task. Plus even if you know what you want do you really want to have to wait longer for your server as he/she is tied up running through the list of what is available (instead of just giving them a menu, every restaurant, bar I've been to on land has a menu). On our June Eclipse trip last year on the last but one night we met a couple of lovely ladies that had only ordered gin and tonic or Pinot Grigio. They had no idea they could have had so much more and would have loved to try some cocktails. IMO Celebrity are deliberately evasive as the more they tell passengers the more passengers will order.

I am not sure if I have ever seen a bar menu that include every cocktail you could order. I have seen wine lists and some drinks, but never all of the possibilities. I have been to England and Australia several times and I do not recall ever seeing a complete list while visiting, but maybe I did not realize that a certain bar was limited to a list. With the exception of wines and beers which should have a list I believe the cocktail pricing is mostly dictated by the brand of alcohol used to make the drink. Rum and Coke, gin and tonic, etc.

I do not believe that Celebrity is being evasive, but I do think the process encourages people to upgrade to the premium package. Perhaps Celebrity should just eliminate the drink packages as a perk and offer only the premium package or the standard package which is a single house brand for each type of alcohol. Then people will have less reason to complain. If people complain enough this may be changed. Princess only offers one package.

We are going to upgrade the package this time. Use up our OBC.

There is a limit to how much you can buy in the 'sales' and we don't gamble because we are clueless.

The one thing that does annoy me is the difference in the same drink when made by different bar people. Sometimes there is no resemblence at all.

Not just Celebrity. Same problem on Cunard. At least with a package you can ask for them to try again where as if you are paying real money, you drink it:D

jagoffee,

Both sister brands, X and RCI, used to have more extense bar menus in the past. Those did include standard cocktails. And it´s not a matter of the brand of alcohol they use as they can price a standard cocktail with a certain brand of alcohol (with is usually the house brand not the premium brand anyway).

I have to admit that with other cruise lines where I did get more a book than a menu I was also overwhelmed by the choice I had. But acutally with X and RCI it´s even more or less impossible to find out what the price of a regular soda is (even when you ask a waiter!! Happened to me!). You have to buy one to see the price on the receipt.

I´m taking photos of bar menus, wine lists and more since 2009. I can tell you they have changed quite a bit!

steamboats

I am not sure if I have ever seen a bar menu that include every cocktail you could order. I have seen wine lists and some drinks, but never all of the possibilities. I have been to England and Australia several times and I do not recall ever seeing a complete list while visiting, but maybe I did not realize that a certain bar was limited to a list.

jagoffee,

Both sister brands, X and RCI, used to have more extense bar menus in the past. Those did include standard cocktails. And it´s not a matter of the brand of alcohol they use as they can price a standard cocktail with a certain brand of alcohol (with is usually the house brand not the premium brand anyway).

jagoffee, if you mean on land bars on the UK then yes they all have full drinks menus. Brits can be quite tight on spending money and we wouldn't just order a drink without knowing the price, or maybe that's just me with Yorkshire blood in me.

steamboats, again you are correct. I have a full RCI drinks menu here from 2013 when we sailed on Adventure and it lists everything with ingredients and prices (is it illegal to take a drinks menu off a ship? Oops).

We've sailed on the British line P&O several times and they don't have any drinks packages. Every bar has a full drinks menu, cocktails, wines, beers etc with full pricing. If they didn't they would sell less drinks.

jagoffee, if you mean on land bars on the UK then yes they all have full drinks menus. Brits can be quite tight on spending money and we wouldn't just order a drink without knowing the price, or maybe that's just me with Yorkshire blood in me.

steamboats, again you are correct. I have a full RCI drinks menu here from 2013 when we sailed on Adventure and it lists everything with ingredients and prices (is it illegal to take a drinks menu off a ship? Oops).

We've sailed on the British line P&O several times and they don't have any drinks packages. Every bar has a full drinks menu, cocktails, wines, beers etc with full pricing. If they didn't they would sell less drinks.

I will have to pay more attention the next time I visit. Do they just refuse to make any cocktail that is not specifically listed with a price on the menu? Or do they make it and give you a price when you order? I probably always drink a cask beer when I am there.

I now understand why the lack of a long detailed menu drink menu would bother people used to this kind of process.

Enjoy either way.

jagoffee,

No, they don´t refuse to make the drink. But I´d like to know in advance what I have to pay for my drink ;)! And when you order a drink which is not on any menu the barkeeper might not be able to tell you the price until he printed out the receipt on the register. And once more, for those people (like me) who don´t drink cocktails very often and don´t have their favorite drink it´s nice to browse through a menu and decide by the ingredients (or even when you do have your favorite drink you might want to try out something new). Third, when you do have a package you want to know whether your favorite drink is within the price limit or not.

steamboats

Hi. Are cappuccinos included in the classic package? - really hope so. Also, if a cocktail is made that isn't on the classic package, will i be charged the full price of the drink or the difference between the classic range price and the cocktail price? Thanks

jagoffee,

No, they don´t refuse to make the drink. But I´d like to know in advance what I have to pay for my drink ;)! And when you order a drink which is not on any menu the barkeeper might not be able to tell you the price until he printed out the receipt on the register. And once more, for those people (like me) who don´t drink cocktails very often and don´t have their favorite drink it´s nice to browse through a menu and decide by the ingredients (or even when you do have your favorite drink you might want to try out something new). Third, when you do have a package you want to know whether your favorite drink is within the price limit or not.

steamboats

Totally agree.

jagoffee,

steamboats

Thanks. My question was concerning the land bars in the UK. Was you answer related to the bars in the UK?

jagoffee,

Sorry, my reply was related to the bars onboard. I don´t have any experiences with land bars in GB as I´m German ;).

steamboats

Now I understand your response.

Do the land base bars in Germany have a complete list of all drink possibilities (menu) with prices has as been reported for the UK? As I previously stated that would be very unusual in a land based US bar.

jagoffee,

Yes, according to the law they do have a full bar menu. Prices do include all taxes (over here VAT only). Sure you may ask for something which is not on the menu. The barkeeper will prepare the cocktail for you as long as he does know the recipe. But then it´s you who asked and you can also ask for the price of this special order.

But know I understand why they don´t have any full menus as you said it´s unusual in the US to have a full bar menu. Anyway both RCI and X had more extense menus than they have now.

steamboats

Edited by steamboats

jagoffee,

Yes, according to the law they do have a full bar menu. Prices do include all taxes (over here VAT only). Sure you may ask for something which is not on the menu. The barkeeper will prepare the cocktail for you as long as he does know the recipe. But then it´s you who asked and you can also ask for the price of this special order.

But know I understand why they don´t have any full menus as you said it´s unusual in the US to have a full bar menu. Anyway both RCI and X had more extense menus than they have now.

steamboats

Thank you.