Difference Between Princess and Carnival

Dishbaby

Good Morning, All! :D

My husband and I have been loyal Carnival passengers for the past 10 years. After our last cruise this past week, we are beginning to consider trying another cruise line for various reasons. Could you please explain to me the difference between a Princess experience v. a Carnival experience? I'm not necessarily looking for which one is better, etc., just wanting to know what the differences between the two lines are because I have a feeling there are many. Thanks in advance!

My husband and I have been loyal Carnival passengers for the past 10 years. After our last cruise this past week, we are beginning to consider trying another cruise line for various reasons. Could you please explain to me the difference between a Princess experience v. a Carnival experience? I'm not necessarily looking for which one is better, etc., just wanting to know what the differences between the two lines are because I have a feeling there are many. Thanks in advance!

I love Princess and my s-i-l loves Carnival. So I cruised last summer with them on Carnival - first time on C in over 20 years.

Most of my comparisons boil down to Princess being "quieter" than Carnival.

Some of the areas I found this:

decor (Carnival bolder colors, Princess more relaxing)

evenings (people still out and about at 2 AM on Carnival...not so much on Princess)

mornings (here, Princess is "louder" than Carnival - at least until about 10 AM) on Carnival you could pretty much sit anywhere is you get up before 9, Princess you need to be up and out by 7 to snag a prime pool spot

breakfast buffet - Carnival's didn't start to get crowded until around 9:30-10, Princess gets crowded around 8-8:30 (except on port days, then it's around 7)

dinners - Princess has one night (last night I think always) when they have the baked Alaska parade and the waiters/assistant waiters get involved in entertaining. The Carnival cruise I was on the waiters performed almost every single night! Princess the assistant waiter takes drink orders,and not much pushing of shots. Carnival there was a "shot guy" who came around every night.

food - there's a lot of back and forth, but honestly, very similar good quality on both lines.

adult pools - I love the adult pools on Princess - quiet and relaxing. The adult pool on Carnival was packed and loud.

less children on Princess.

all that - I'm sailing Carnival again with s-i-l this summer, and even trying Norwegian soon ;).

I had to chuckle about less children on Princess. That is true for most Princess cruises I have been on, except for recent California Coastal I was on. There were over 700 kids on it. Apparently, it was still Spring Break somewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had to chuckle about less children on Princess. That is true for most Princess cruises I have been on, except for recent California Coastal I was on. There were over 700 kids on it. Apparently, it was still Spring Break somewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wow! I'll stay away from California Coastals. lol.

We cruise both lines. Princess has an older crowd, less children, on some ships Princess has the International Cafe and Vines. Princess has this awful new restaurant called "Share" by Curtis Stone. Food is subjective as some will say, BUT, I believe Carnival has better tasting food than Princess. Princess decor is more subtle than Carnival. Carnival has more bling, and Carnival is more lively. Princess has lots of people who use walkers and motorized scooters that you are constantly having to dodge. We enjoy both lines. We book with whoever has the best deal going at the time we want to cruise. Princess I think has some better deals than Carnival.

wow! I'll stay away from California Coastals. lol.

It had to be Spring break as we rarely cruise during that time or in the summer months. We don't book Carnival or Princess when we know it will be over ran by children whose parents haven't a clue as to where they are at and what they are doing.

We won't be doing the California coastal as we can drive to all of those ports and they aren't that interesting of places that we choose to go to. We did it one time just to get away - that was enough.

Princess is more elegant, and the crowd is way more subdued as they are usually an older crowd. That being said, if you chose to sail on a Princess ship out of Florida in March, you will most likely get a spring break type of crowd. THe decor on the Princess ships is also way more subdued than on Carnival which tends to use a lot of color....sometimes really wild color. We have sailed on both, and prefer to sail on Princess now. That being said, it is also important to note that when Carnival is in Europe like they are this year with the new Vista, it is a totally different crowd as well. When we sail stateside, we will look to Princess, but if we get an unbelievable deal on Carnival in Europe (which we did this October), we will jump on it.

I've never sailed Carnival but I have been told that their drink prices are quite a bit higher than on Princess. Perhaps someone else can address that and verify if it is correct or if it is bogus information.

If you like a "party" atmosphere I would say that Princess will disappoint you. If you like to relax you may well enjoy Princess. It's nice that there are options and, of course, some folks enjoy both types of cruise.

We cruise both lines. Princess has an older crowd, less children, on some ships Princess has the International Cafe and Vines. Princess has this awful new restaurant called "Share" by Curtis Stone. Food is subjective as some will say, BUT, I believe Carnival has better tasting food than Princess. Princess decor is more subtle than Carnival. Carnival has more bling, and Carnival is more lively. Princess has lots of people who use walkers and motorized scooters that you are constantly having to dodge. We enjoy both lines. We book with whoever has the best deal going at the time we want to cruise. Princess I think has some better deals than Carnival.

I have to disagree with you again! But then, that seems the norm. It seems you're really not happy with Princess.

The worst food I've ever had, and the worst cruise, was on the Carnival Splendor. My husband had us turn down a free cruise offer from Carnival, he was so unhappy! Whereas, we've always been happy with Princess. We love the food, almost always..., the laid back atmosphere, and the wonderful crew.

I'm looking forward to trying SHARE. Granted, it's not for "meat and potatoes" people. I'm just hoping that when I do go, the kitchen staff can implement the dishes well.

I have to disagree with you again! But then, that seems the norm. It seems you're really not happy with Princess.

The worst food I've ever had, and the worst cruise, was on the Carnival Splendor. My husband had us turn down a free cruise offer from Carnival, he was so unhappy! Whereas, we've always been happy with Princess. We love the food, almost always..., the laid back atmosphere, and the wonderful crew.

I'm looking forward to trying SHARE. Granted, it's not for "meat and potatoes" people. I'm just hoping that when I do go, the kitchen staff can implement the dishes well.

Really? We're elite status on Princess. We hate Princess so much that we have spent thousands of dollars and time cruising on Princess. Oh dear, we have a Princess Panama Canal cruise coming up! Oh how we hate to go again! Fortunately, we don't have to work to cruise.:rolleyes:

I forget how many "snobby" "rude" people post on CC. Until they do. Never ends

Be kind.

...and some are SO good at it. I reject the notion that because someone expresses some dissatisfaction with a recent cruise that they are unhappy with the entire Princess product.

The only other statement I want to comment on is about the walkers and scooters on Princess and the need to "constantly dodge" them. As a user of one of those scooters, I can say my perspective is that it can be very hard to avoid the people who are oblivious to walking in front of one, or don't recognize that sometimes we've been waiting 15 minutes for an elevator that can accomodate us. I wish I were in a position that it wasn't necessary for me! I also recall seeing very few scooters in February. I wouldn't wish cancer on my worst enemy.

Happily, on our last cruise on the Emerald, by far, the vast majority of passengers were friendly, and helpful.

I've been very happy on both Princess and RCCL. My folks cruised last year on Carnival and did not enjoy it, but I think their travel agent steered them in the wrong direction. They aren't the right age demographic for that line, on that itinerary.

Sure there are differences among the lines, but I think the majority of people who have posted that they are more alike than different, have hit the nail on the head.

I have been on three Carnival cruises and just completed our first Princess cruise. I like them both. I am 47 and my wife is 37. On Princess we appreciated the food in general (the upcharge places slightly disappointed - we actually feel Carnival wins there), the upscale feel, the more folks in formal dress when the occasion called (please don't flame me for liking that), and nice decor. On Princess we missed some of the liveliness of Carnival (yes, it can be crass as well and we do not like that) and we were disappointed the sidewalks seemed to roll up a bit early. Don't get me wrong, I'm good with sitting at a nice bar with my wife, sipping a well-made drink listening to some laid-back music but even at my age I would have liked a bit more life at night on occasions.

It's so subjective. We love to dress up and that can be done even on Carnival if you feel like it but it seemed to fit in more on Princess. I think we'll sail Carnival again, especially when we finally take our teenagers for their first cruise. I can see us on Princess again too. Perhaps as I get even older I may change my view and not want Carnival at all but I can't see it right now. Maybe I need to try RCCL.

Edited by Nezmo

I have been on three Carnival cruises and just completed our first Princess cruise. I like them both. I am 47 and my wife is 37. On Princess we appreciated the food in general (the upcharge places slightly disappointed - we actually feel Carnival wins there), the upscale feel, the more folks in formal dress when the occasion called (please don't flame me for liking that), and nice decor. On Princess we missed some of liveliness of Carnival (yes, it can be crass as well and we do not like that) and we were disappointed the sidewalks seemed to roll up a bit early. Don't get me wrong, I'm good with sitting at a nice bar with my wife, sipping a well-made drink listening to some laid-back music but even at my age I would have liked a bit more life at night on occasions.

It's so subjective. We love to dress up and that can be done even on Carnival if you feel like it but it seemed to fit in more on Princess. I think we'll sail Carnival again, especially when we finally take our teenagers for their first cruise. I can see us on Princess again too. Perhaps as I get even older I may change my view and not want Carnival at all but I can't see it right now. Maybe I need to try RCCL.

My wife and I like the "dress up" thing as well. :) As for the late night stuff... We go to bed fairly early but I have to admit that the few times I have been up after midnight the ship has seemed deserted. There would be an occasional crew member and maybe a small crowd in Skywalker's but that's it. Skywalker's is too LOUD for me at night and I don't care for the music they play so I don't go there in the evening unless I'm getting the late BOGO. Even then I get the drink and leave.

Edited by Thrak

I've never sailed Carnival but I have been told that their drink prices are quite a bit higher than on Princess. Perhaps someone else can address that and verify if it is correct or if it is bogus information.

If you like a "party" atmosphere I would say that Princess will disappoint you. If you like to relax you may well enjoy Princess. It's nice that there are options and, of course, some folks enjoy both types of cruise.

We sail both and the drink prices on both lines are almost the same. If anything Carnival seems pours heavier and mixed drinks can be strong.

Take care,

Vinnie

I've cruised both (and other lines) and the worst food on any cruise, for us, was on the Carnival Dream yet our favorite was on the Victory out of PR. I really do believe it has to do with the Master Chef and they are often moved around so it's hard to judge a cruise line by only giving any one cruise line only one chance. We have had bad experiences with Princess in the food department. We found that Carnival's steak house is far better than what Princess offers and for about the same amount of money. We enjoy HAL even better.

If I lived closer to a cruise port that shared several cruise lines, as in Ft. Lauderdale, I'd be trying all of the cruise lines and cruising much more frequently. I really don't mind gaudy decor as it is only 7-14 days I will be on the ship--not a lifetime. I have never been offended by any ship's decor. If it's bold, I just chuckle and forget about it. If you like beige, beige, beige, EVERYWHERE, you will LOVE Princess.

We're in our 60's and my husband loves the special night-time party events that Carnival has but we would never enjoy being on any cruise that was overwhelmed with little children or too many young adults. So far we have never experienced that and I guess we can attribute that to just good planning time-wise.

Princess people often say that HAL is full of elderly cruisers but that really is a not what we have found. I have seen just as many, and sometimes even more, elderly people on Princess cruises. It really depends on how long the cruise is. HAL often has longer itineraries and you will have more elderly people because they are retired and have the time to do those types of cruises.

We have NEVER sat at any ship's pool so I cannot say which is better. I'd rather enjoy the quiet and peacefulness on our own balcony. Of course, people with children don't have that option.

Oh, and the biggest difference I can honestly speak of is that Princess does not have the Chocolate Melting Cake that Carnival ships serve DAILY. There is nothing to compare it to on Princess and Carnival does use REAL butter and lots of it in the recipe. :p I know, I watched them make it. In retrospect, that might be good that Princess doesn't have anything like it since we do cruise Princess more frequently.

Edited by iceleven

I think alot happens in the Atrium on Princess. Dancing, champagne waterfall, balloon drop, jugglers and all sorts of misc shows. One comes back from Carnival frazzled and on Princess more relaxed. We go on Carnival this Sunday and I already miss the IC. I am an early riser, sometimes 4 am and need good coffee and a roll. I miss the IC already.