New to Celebrity

lake5298

Although we have cruised a lot over the years, we've never cruised with Celebrity.

We're putting this right in December next year - it's the first time that we have found a good value deal with Celebrity through our regular travel agent, who is offering the "classic drinks package" free as an incentive.

Our current favourites are Princess, and we are just wondering what we can look forward to that's different.

We're travelling in a 2B balcony on "Eclipse" with late sitting dining.

Just a heads up. The Travel Agent is offering you nothing. The Classic Drink package is a standard option on Celebrity. Actually right now you should be getting a choice of 2 perks in the Oceanview or up room. The choices are Classic Drink Package, OBC probably $300, Unlimited Internet for 2, or gratuites(generally not a good idea unless in a suite or a long cruise)

If you booked an inside and got the drinks package then you are actually getting something from them.

Can't really tell you about the difference between Celebrity and Princess as I only cruised Princess once and didn't care for it. This was before I ever cruised Celebrity.

Enjoy your cruise.

Although we have cruised a lot over the years, we've never cruised with Celebrity. We're putting this right in December next year - it's the first time that we have found a good value deal with Celebrity through our regular travel agent, who is offering the "classic drinks package" free as an incentive. Our current favourites are Princess, and we are just wondering what we can look forward to that's different. We're travelling in a 2B balcony on "Eclipse" with late sitting dining.

While we have not yet sailed on the Eclipse, we have had a couple of fun experiences on its sister ship, the Celebrity Solstice. Below is a link with lots of visuals on these ships, reflecting their smart, classy design, etc. Below are just three quick samples as my offering of "eye-candy" from these ships.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a “Solstice: Visuals, Highlights Shared!” summary from two different adventures on this ship with many pictures and other details on its many options. This includes our recent Australia to New Zealand sailing. Check it out, including these early 2014 updates, at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1803477

Now at 37,408 views for this posting.

The Solarium was one of our most favorite areas. Food and drinks were nearby and it was very relaxed and sophisticated. Quieter, too, as it is an adults-only area. Two hot tubs here. Not crowded, especially in the evenings. Nice art and design with this facility. Wonderful setting for relaxing and watching the outside water/shore views, enjoying subtle inside action, etc.:

SolsticeSolariumSunnyDay.jpg

This is the Sunset Bar area that adjoined part of the lawn areas on the top, back part of the Solstice.:

SolsticeSunsetBarView.jpg

I liked to ride one of the eight glass elevators in the mid-ship courtyard with nice views out to the different floors, enjoying the ship architecture, people being active, etc. You can see the library area in the background:

SolsticeElevatorsGlassHighView.jpg

We first sailed Princess in 1992, our last time was on the Ruby in Nov 2012.

Our first Celebrity was in 1994, and the last 3 years have been on the Reflection 2013, and the Equinox in '14 & '15.

You will find them more alike than different, but there are many 'subtle' difference in quality in Celebrity's favor.

A 2B will prob be on deck 6, excellent location, IMHO. You can check the S-Class cabin review sheet here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=911018 to see if anyone has left info on the cabin you will be in.

Late MDR seating is the same on every line we have sailed.

EW

Check your cabin # on the deck plan. If you are on deck 6 you may have an obstructed view, as the life boats are not tucked away and they can block your view of the water from the balcony.

Eclipse in December is the 2 week Southern caribbean itinerary, which we have done three times. You'll love it.

Just a heads up. The Travel Agent is offering you nothing. The Classic Drink package is a standard option on Celebrity. Actually right now you should be getting a choice of 2 perks in the Oceanview or up room. The choices are Classic Drink Package, OBC probably $300, Unlimited Internet for 2, or gratuites(generally not a good idea unless in a suite or a long cruise)

If you booked an inside and got the drinks package then you are actually getting something from them.

Can't really tell you about the difference between Celebrity and Princess as I only cruised Princess once and didn't care for it. This was before I ever cruised Celebrity.

Enjoy your cruise.

The OP in in the UK. They don't have the same offers as we do so that may be good for the market.

One thing you should do is see the hot glass show.....nothing like it on Princess

Although we have cruised a lot over the years, we've never cruised with Celebrity.

We're putting this right in December next year - it's the first time that we have found a good value deal with Celebrity through our regular travel agent, who is offering the "classic drinks package" free as an incentive.

Our current favourites are Princess, and we are just wondering what we can look forward to that's different.

One thing you should do is see the hot glass show.....nothing like it on Princess

That is for sure! We did an 11 night on the Equinox and thought that once you saw the Hot glass show you would be done with it. Not the case. I could not stay away. They did many show's through out the cruise and I found myself gravitating to them a lot. We were on the Reflection in March and definitely missed it. I would of rather had the show up on 15 rather than the lawn club grill.

The OP in in the UK. They don't have the same offers as we do so that may be good for the market.

I missed that, you are correct.

I'm pretty sure the OP's 2b cabin will not be obstructed. I think most of those are the 2d's

...it's the first time that we have found a good value deal with Celebrity through our regular travel agent, who is offering the "classic drinks package" free as an incentive.

I have to say this has not been my experience while shopping for cruises in the Caribbean. Celebrity is almost always a lower fare than Princess (using our favorite online TA), and with the Perks the value of X is sometimes competitive with CCL or NCL's lowest fares. We paid about $150pp higher fare for our Dec16 cruise than a similar CCL itinerary, but we are getting free drinks and a $175 total OBC. The similar Princess itinerary was +$100pp over what we paid for X without drinks or OBC.

That being said, we really would like to try Princess.

Below is one of my visuals for what this hot glass show area looks like. Keep the good questions and comments rolling along.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on the Celebrity Solstice, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 141,036 views for this posting.

On the top, back of the Solstice, here is a wider view of Corning Hot Glass show area, plus the green grass and the unique covering designs for this special area of the ship. Classy design touches and style!!:

SolsticeGlassGrassBack.jpg

I am "Platinum" on Princess and "Elite Plus" on Celebrity...If Celebrity only always offered the routes we want every time, we'd never cruise on Princess...

The first major difference you will notice is that the Celebrity ships are more spacious--more space per passenger. This manifests itself in a number of ways--fewer queues and waits, better service...

We've found the showrooms on Princess ships to be far too small--typically 900 seats on a ship sailing with over 3,000 guests...and the lounges where they have comedy or magic shows (like Explorer's Lounge" are way smaller than that--so, to get a seat for a show, one has to show up way in advance of curtain time. On Celebrity, we've never had that problem...For example, on the Silhouette (that we were just on four weeks ago), the main showroom seats almost 1,400...but the ship only carries 2,850 passengers...So, considering they always have two show times and some people don't attend at all, there are always more than enough seats...and you can usually show up right at curtain time and still find very good seats.

The main dining rooms on Princess are disjointed--usually three or four separate rooms--with low ceilings, whereas Celebrity has two level dining rooms which give a very open and spacious feeling.

Dining room seating on Princess is poorly managed...One cruise, we had traditional assigned seating and found that the dining room was half empty every night...none of our assigned table mates EVER showed up to dinner. Where were they? Well, since then, we've signed up for Anytime Dining on Princess and found out: People with assigned traditional assignments routinely show up at Anytime--and are seated! What results is an overcrowding of those dining rooms resulting in long waits--and being given beepers and being told to expect to be seated maybe in a half an hour! We always take that open seating option on Celebrity and have NEVER had to wait for a table--even though we routinely show up at about 7:00 pm most nights...Celebrity actually enforces the assignments you have been given...

A newer change on Celebrity is that they no longer have "Formal Nights" (Princess does)...They've exchanged them for "Evening Chic" nights--dress as you would to a night club or fine restaurant at home, but no need to drag along tuxedos or long gowns...Of course, some people still dress up--and no problem if that is what you want to do, go ahead...

Cabins on Celebrity are better designed--for the most part--and feel more spacious...even the inside cabins. Both lines claim to have cabins with the same approximate square footage, but, do to the layout of Princess ships (the closet area hallway to the bathroom taking up a lot of space), even the balcony cabins have only a bed and a single chair. You have to book a mini-suite to get an actually sitting room area. On Celebrity ALL of the cabins have a sitting room area with a sofa and coffee table. OTOH, Celebrity's S-Class ships don't quite have as ample closet and drawer space...You may have to use the cabinets over the bed...Of course, that is something I'm willing to put up with for the extra room and sofa...

There are lots of other subtle differences, but that's a start...

Thank you Bruin Steve for this. We have been on only 2 cruises in the past (both on princess) and we are doing celebrity for the first time March 2017. I am very much looking forward to these subtle but important differences. We are very excited to try celebrity i think it will be our new favorite!!

I am "Platinum" on Princess and "Elite Plus" on Celebrity...If Celebrity only always offered the routes we want every time, we'd never cruise on Princess...

The first major difference you will notice is that the Celebrity ships are more spacious--more space per passenger. This manifests itself in a number of ways--fewer queues and waits, better service...

We've found the showrooms on Princess ships to be far too small--typically 900 seats on a ship sailing with over 3,000 guests...and the lounges where they have comedy or magic shows (like Explorer's Lounge" are way smaller than that--so, to get a seat for a show, one has to show up way in advance of curtain time. On Celebrity, we've never had that problem...For example, on the Silhouette (that we were just on four weeks ago), the main showroom seats almost 1,400...but the ship only carries 2,850 passengers...So, considering they always have two show times and some people don't attend at all, there are always more than enough seats...and you can usually show up right at curtain time and still find very good seats.

The main dining rooms on Princess are disjointed--usually three or four separate rooms--with low ceilings, whereas Celebrity has two level dining rooms which give a very open and spacious feeling.

Dining room seating on Princess is poorly managed...One cruise, we had traditional assigned seating and found that the dining room was half empty every night...none of our assigned table mates EVER showed up to dinner. Where were they? Well, since then, we've signed up for Anytime Dining on Princess and found out: People with assigned traditional assignments routinely show up at Anytime--and are seated! What results is an overcrowding of those dining rooms resulting in long waits--and being given beepers and being told to expect to be seated maybe in a half an hour! We always take that open seating option on Celebrity and have NEVER had to wait for a table--even though we routinely show up at about 7:00 pm most nights...Celebrity actually enforces the assignments you have been given...

A newer change on Celebrity is that they no longer have "Formal Nights" (Princess does)...They've exchanged them for "Evening Chic" nights--dress as you would to a night club or fine restaurant at home, but no need to drag along tuxedos or long gowns...Of course, some people still dress up--and no problem if that is what you want to do, go ahead...

Cabins on Celebrity are better designed--for the most part--and feel more spacious...even the inside cabins. Both lines claim to have cabins with the same approximate square footage, but, do to the layout of Princess ships (the closet area hallway to the bathroom taking up a lot of space), even the balcony cabins have only a bed and a single chair. You have to book a mini-suite to get an actually sitting room area. On Celebrity ALL of the cabins have a sitting room area with a sofa and coffee table. OTOH, Celebrity's S-Class ships don't quite have as ample closet and drawer space...You may have to use the cabinets over the bed...Of course, that is something I'm willing to put up with for the extra room and sofa...

We've found the showrooms on Princess ships to be far too small--typically 900 seats on a ship sailing with over 3,000 guests...and the lounges where they have comedy or magic shows (like Explorer's Lounge" are way smaller than that--so, to get a seat for a show, one has to show up way in advance of curtain time. On Celebrity, we've never had that problem...

Dining room seating on Princess is poorly managed...One cruise, we had traditional assigned seating and found that the dining room was half empty every night...none of our assigned table mates EVER showed up to dinner. Where were they? Well, since then, we've signed up for Anytime Dining on Princess and found out: People with assigned traditional assignments routinely show up at Anytime--and are seated! What results is an overcrowding of those dining rooms resulting in long waits--and being given beepers and being told to expect to be seated maybe in a half an hour!

Cabins on Celebrity are better designed--for the most part--and feel more spacious...even the inside cabins. ......... On Celebrity ALL of the cabins have a sitting room area with a sofa and coffee table.

Thanks for this perspective. I am Elite on Princess, & these issues are exactly why I'm getting disillusioned and trying Celebrity in January. The dining room issues ARE awfuL! They really need to clamp down on Assigned Diners coming into the Anytime Dining room and causing extreme overcrowding. And you're right about the seating for shows. People lining up 1/2 hour early to get in, or running from dinner to try to get a seat. The sofa in the cabin will be nice too!

I know there are things good and bad on each line, & different ships can yield different experiences, but I'm excited to see the differences for myself!

Berni

I've sailed 4 times on celebrity and only once on the Grand Princess last month. I know that the Grand is an older ship, so you may need to filter some of these differences based on the differences in the princess fleet

-the buffet on the Eclipse is much bigger and better than on the grand

-I love the solarium on celebrity so much more than on the grand. It's climate controlled, so very pleasant especially on non warm weather routes

-princess does have more evening entertainment - more shows in smaller venues. Conversely, I thought the bars were more lively on celebrity since there wasn't as much else to do :)

-drinks were cheaper on princess. I recommend upgrading to the premium package on celebrity to not be limited, especially on wine selection.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk