RCI needs to do something about self disembark.

We just left Independence of the Seas in Fort Lauderdale on Monday. We carried our own suitcases. It was a MESS! One person to control a huge crowd, and it seemed most people just did what they wanted.

It was made clear that you had to be able to handle our own luggage down two flights of stairs. That did not stop people from tossing luggage, asking for help, even wheelchair people demanding to use this service.

No set line or time....people cutting in, and bad tempers.

Never experienced such a poorly planned disembarkation. Other lines that use self disembarkation, do assign letters and times for people to leave. Also various meeting places, and go by a certain order.

In the future I feel someone is going to get hurt by this policy. Witnessed suitcases literally flying down the stairs. Tempers flaring.

If you are going to continue with this policy......have more than one person to manage the crowd and the line. Have security there.

Studio B certainly could not handle the mess. People getting off elevator just cutting in line, and pretending not to understand English that the line forms there.

Yikes.

We haven't seen this, but it seems that I've seen this problem mostly on Indy.

We've taken a few Disney cruises and unless somethings changed, they have the best way to handle it. They schedule everyone with a time for final breakfast in the MDR and you disembark right afterwards. The breakfast groups are 15 minutes apart. We have always done self disembark so we were the first breakfast group. We ate, then just walked off the ship, it was very well done and organized.

Self-disembark worked best when they first started it, when it came with 'limited availability'. Now they just let anyone and everyone walk off. I'm sure they like it because it requires less staff to execute. Big money saver.

It works if you can be one of the first people off the ship. If you're in the middle or near the end of self-disembark, it can be chaotic. I've been stuck behind two 7 years olds managing 29 inch suitcases down multiple flights of stairs. Just a mess.

I am still trying to figure out the best plan for us when we sail soon. We are flexible but will have three small kids with us. At least with all these reports of chaos our expectations are super low :/

If you don't have a real need to do self-assist disembarkation, I would avoid it and instead try to get an early luggage tag number. That way you will have hands free for carry-ons and kids.

I am still trying to figure out the best plan for us when we sail soon. We are flexible but will have three small kids with us. At least with all these reports of chaos our expectations are super low :/

You'll be ok if you can manage your kids and your luggage. Do not assign small children to carry luggage. Otherwise, just put your luggage out in the hall the night before. If you have an early flight, ask for an earlier disembarkation group #.

This isn't fundamentally a cruise line problem; it's a passenger conduct problem.

The same bad behavior happens at embarkation, the buffet, the pool deck, the theater, etc. - just about anywhere you have people who absolutely, positively MUST be first and have no patience for waiting their turn.

Expecting the cruise line to invest in more complex people-herding policies and the staff to police them is a pipe dream.

This isn't fundamentally a cruise line problem; it's a passenger conduct problem.

The same bad behavior happens at embarkation, the buffet, the pool deck, the theater, etc. - just about anywhere you have people who absolutely, positively MUST be first and have no patience for waiting their turn.

Expecting the cruise line to invest in more complex people-herding policies and the staff to police them is a pipe dream.

They don't have to invest any more money; they should be saving money because the don't need staff to collect and debark thousands of suitcases.

And instead of having staff monitoring people in various places where people are waiting for numbesr to be called, they have 2 people with loudspeakers at the front of a long line of self-debarking people.

I am pretty sure Royal loves self-debarkation and saves money on it over the other process.

We got off the ship when you were getting on and we did self-debarkation. We arrived on deck 3 at 7:20am and we were in line at the far end of Studio B. We were getting in a cab at 8:20. Fortunately, I did not see any of the bad/rude behavior. We did see kids lugging large suitcases, babies in strollers etc. I imagine it got worse as time went on. What time did you get in line?

We loved self disembark at the beginning, when it was limited to a certain amount of people. Now not so much! We have reverted back to getting an early tag number and waiting in the Diamond Plus area until called.

I do have a question (now) ...... If we have a limited amount of luggage can we just keep our luggage and still just go off when our normal tag would be called? This would keep us from having to stand in that long line for self disembark! Just Wondering!

... I do have a question (now) ...... If we have a limited amount of luggage can we just keep our luggage and still just go off when our normal tag would be called? This would keep us from having to stand in that long line for self disembark! Just Wondering!

I've not seen any restrictions on what you can take off after self-assist is supposedly over. I've also seen folks leaving with bags all during the disembarkation process.

I am thinking that Independence has more of a problem because she is doing shorter cruises thus more people have less luggage and more are willing and want to do self-disembarkation.

The longer the cruise, the more the luggage, the fewer people who use self-disembarkation.

We have never had a problem on the Allure or Oasis disembarking in Ft. Lauderdale. But... On the Liberty of the Seas a few years back, we waited for 2 hours to get off. They only had 1 customs agent working the entire ship! After 2 1/2 hours two more agents showed up and things started moving. RCCL was very apologetic but they had NO control over U.S. customs.

I am thinking that Independence has more of a problem because she is doing shorter cruises thus more people have less luggage and more are willing and want to do self-disembarkation.

The longer the cruise, the more the luggage, the fewer people who use self-disembarkation.

Yes.

If you don't have a real need to do self-assist disembarkation, I would avoid it and instead try to get an early luggage tag number. That way you will have hands free for carry-ons and kids.

We usually wait to do self-disembarkation until a few numbers have been called. By then, the mass of people struggling with their luggage long gone.

Then again, our luggage is carry on size for a plane, so it's easy to move around.

We did self disembark last week on the Freedom because we had early flight's it was great! A lot of other people did it also and there was a line but it moved very quickly and smooth. We got through customs in 20 min.

We also just got off Monday(Hi fellow Indy!!! :) ), almost missed our flight, we had to run through the airport. And we did make our flight time after the recommended time that they give. It was crazy, we rebooked onboard for next year, we will make our flight for the next day to avoid all that. :rolleyes:

I think self disembark for short cruises should be eliminated. It's a short cruise and most of the folks are local. So they drove to the port and have no need to hurry and get off the ship to catch a flight.

I think it's time for the cruise lines to enforce and implement new disembark rules/technology. If the color blue is at 7AM they should make everyone carry their blue tags with them to exit. Have the tags stamped and numbered for each person in the party as folks meet and lineup to exit in say Studio B. As the line starts moving towards the exit and a person tries to skip the line and their tag is not stamped and numbered, they will be sent back to Studio B or their appropriate colored group to get stamped and numbered. I know sounds complicated but this would stop folks from skipping the line and just exiting before their group is called. I would increase the number of line monitors all over the ship checking for disembark tags.

O another thing program the set sail cards to their disembark time. Have numerous check points. Create a wand so the staff/hall monitors can wand their set sail pass and inform them if they're in the right or wrong line.

Galveston and NOLA are my home ports. I wait for the masses to clear and then I walk off whether I do a 4 night or 7 night. Easy Peasy. My next cruise out of FLL I selected a late flight so again I can wait for the masses to clear and then walk off the ship. NO STRESS for me on the last day of my cruise.

Edited by cynt

We had the same problem with the self disembark on Indy last May. I've never seen such chaos on any other RC ship. We also encountered quite a few rude crew members on this cruise, the worst of all being the loyalty ambassador. I think it might be the staff/crew on the Indy in addition to the rude passengers causing the issue.

I think self disembark for short cruises should be eliminated. It's a short cruise and most of the folks are local. So they drove to the port and have no need to hurry and get off the ship to catch a flight.

I sure hope not. Not only do we cruise those from a long way away, we also pack light, and have no intention of giving someone else our luggage.

Carry on plane, carry on ship, carry off ship, back on plane. In our possession the entire time.

Just because a few people mess up the works doesn't mean everyone should not do it.

We found the disembark process on Indy was complicated by the fact they do not use the gangway, meaning that everyone is trying to go down the stairs from deck 3 to 1 to get off the ship. This was especially difficult for those in wheeelchairs waiting for help since every time the elevator for the wheelchairs came to 3, it was already full of people.

Best suggestion is wait as long as you can before you disembark. If you are checking your bags, see if your attendant can give you a later number. That gives the people who are in a hurry a chance to get through. It might also make finding your luggage in the terminal easier.

Apparently it also extends into excursions from the reviews I've read of some. More than one that is clearly marked as "strenuous" and lists things such as "walking for up to 2 miles over cobblestones and uneven surfaces" and/or "standing for long periods of time" and/or "Those with limited mobility should not take this tour" has reviews stating that there were people who clearly were not up for the activity level of the tour and hence held everyone else back as the guide had to keep waiting for them. I've booked a couple because other reviews were extremely positive and the excursions are things I want to do - I'm just crossing my fingers that people really evaluate their limits before booking.

Trust me - having dealt with knee and foot things in the past, I get that it sucks when you can't do things you would like to do because of either temporary or permanent challenges to mobility - but it's not fair to punish everyone else who reads and follows the rules and advice!