Does anyone ever purchase from the minibar

We never do but that does not stop them from billing us anyways....on our last cruise we even heard they were billing people that had everything removed from the mini bar for the odd item....you need to watch your bill.

Edited by robandana

We did before the advent of beverage packages. IIRC, the cost of a can of coke was the same from the minibar as it was from a bar around the ship, and was a heck of a lot more convenient.

Now that we get a package and minibar isn't included, we're not going to pay for something we could get from a bar around the ship for "free".

We don't either. Not because of the cost it's just there is nothing we want. We buy a few large bottle of waters to keep in our cabin, I can't eat nuts and don't eat candy while on a cruise so find no use to raid the mini fridge at night.

Edited by lady_cruiser

We never do but that does not stop them from billing us anyways....on our last cruise we even heard they were billing people that had everything removed from the mini bar for the odd item....you need to watch your bill.

On our latest Adventure cruise the mini bar was empty when we checked in with the stateroom attendant's recommendation to use it for our own pruposes. Never was refilled or had anything show on the bill.

Usually we ask to have it emptied or show the attendant that we did. This was the firs time it was empty in advance.

On our latest Adventure cruise the mini bar was empty when we checked in with the stateroom attendant's recommendation to use it for our own pruposes. Never was refilled or had anything show on the bill.

Usually we ask to have it emptied or show the attendant that we did. This was the firs time it was empty in advance.

This is the second post I've seen about the minibar being empty upon arrival. I hope this is a new policy that goes fleetwide.

I imagine we will eventually see RCI use the same point of sale system many hotels have gone to, where there are sensors in the mini bar and you are automatically charged if something is removed for more than a set amount of time.

This sense of entitlement people have, wanting the mini bar emptied so they can store their own things in there, is a bit of a head scratcher. They didn't put them in as a convenience feature, they are there to generate revenue. The more people ask to empty them, the more likely they go to a POS system.

This is the second post I've seen about the minibar being empty upon arrival. I hope this is a new policy that goes fleetwide.

That may have been my first post as this is the second time I mentioned it. :D;)

I agree with the thought of it going fleetwide - much more convenient.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I imagine we will eventually see RCI use the same point of sale system many hotels have gone to, where there are sensors in the mini bar and you are automatically charged if something is removed for more than a set amount of time.

This sense of entitlement people have, wanting the mini bar emptied so they can store their own things in there, is a bit of a head scratcher. They didn't put them in as a convenience feature, they are there to generate revenue. The more people ask to empty them, the more likely they go to a POS system.

It has nothing to do with a sense of entitlement with us - don't understand that comment at all. It's just that we never use the contents offered. We always asked and never removed them on our own. They could have said no to the request if it was not acceptable. Personal preference, that's all.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

That may have been my first post as this is the second time I mentioned it. :D;)

I agree with the thought of it going fleetwide - much more convenient.

I don't recall when they started stocking the fridges with items to purchase, but I think maybe 5 years ago? Perhaps they have looked at the profit they make from this and are coming to the realization that it's just not worth it.

Edited by clarea

It has nothing to do with a sense of entitlement with us - don't understand that comment at all. It's just that we never use the contents offered. We always asked and never removed them on our own. They could have said no to the request if it was not acceptable. Personal preference, that's all.

I continue to be surprised they allow or are willing to empty it at all. The whole wisdom of a mini bar is for the impulse buy. Emptying it takes the opportunity for that impulse away.

To me, emptying the mini bar for your own use is akin to asking a restaurant to microwave your frozen meal for you.

Same with us on Adventure recently. I was able to pick up random water bottles on our beverage package and stock it up:D

That might have been mine - Also on Adventure and it was nice. I suppose if this becomes a trend they might just remove the fridges though.........

That might have been mine - Also on Adventure and it was nice. I suppose if this becomes a trend they might just remove the fridges though.........

That would be unfortunate. We were on Vision recently in an OV stateroom, without a fridge, and I did miss it a couple of times.

I continue to be surprised they allow or are willing to empty it at all. The whole wisdom of a mini bar is for the impulse buy. Emptying it takes the opportunity for that impulse away.

To me, emptying the mini bar for your own use is akin to asking a restaurant to microwave your frozen meal for you.

Really? Then how do you address the fact that it was emptied prior to our arrival in the stateroom with the comment by the stateroom attendant to please use it for our own purposes? And as indicated by another poster our situation was not unique.

Really? Then how do you address the fact that it was emptied prior to our arrival in the stateroom with the comment by the stateroom attendant to please use it for our own purposes? And as indicated by another poster our situation was not unique.

I'm not sure what you mean by "how do you address...". I'm not disputing that it does get emptied. I'm just surprised that at the corporate level, they haven't opted to eliminate this practice. They make no money from an emptied mini bar.