Balcony Smokers on Allure

One question and one statement....First the question....Are there any cruise lines or ships that have banned smoking altogether?

Not sticking up for the smokers, but we all seem in agreement that it's going to happen. The majority of these posts seem to be directed at catching a whiff of smoke on your balcony. If this is really a problem, and it's happened on your balcony on multiple cruises....WHY WOULD YOU CONTINUE TO BOOK A BALCONY ROOM???? The logic seems crazy to me...."I hate smoke....all 3 cruises I have been on I have had to deal with smokers on the balcony....so I am booking my 4th cruise, let me pay a premium and get a balcony room so I can get ticked off by the smokers" (facepalm)....Next time, book a window or interior room. Save money, and don't have to put up with the smokers on the balcony....problem solved :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Your logic is wrong. Smoking on balconies is now against the rules. Don't smoke on the balcony. Period. The end.

How about we hold those responsible for breaking the rule, not those trying to enjoy their balconies while following the rules?

These forums are the most hostile on the internet, I'm convinced.

But anyways, has RCCL addressed vaporizers yet? Those are becoming extremely popular.

Nope, because for the most part they won't burn a ship down to the water. I was on Majesty getting dinner and was sitting down. Observing 2 Officers nightly heated conversation to the head WJ person right by the stairs. This couple goes quickly down the stairs and the chick toaks and exhales into the room. Nothing was done. You could hear the collective room sye like aren't you going to do something. Those 2 officers never really missed a beat chewing the guy out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

One question and one statement....First the question....Are there any cruise lines or ships that have banned smoking altogether?

Not sticking up for the smokers, but we all seem in agreement that it's going to happen. The majority of these posts seem to be directed at catching a whiff of smoke on your balcony. If this is really a problem, and it's happened on your balcony on multiple cruises....WHY WOULD YOU CONTINUE TO BOOK A BALCONY ROOM???? The logic seems crazy to me...."I hate smoke....all 3 cruises I have been on I have had to deal with smokers on the balcony....so I am booking my 4th cruise, let me pay a premium and get a balcony room so I can get ticked off by the smokers" (facepalm)....Next time, book a window or interior room. Save money, and don't have to put up with the smokers on the balcony....problem solved :)

I doubt that will happen! They will just let the Darwin of it take them.

I reported my issues as a major hazzard vs it being a smell issue, but as a former smoker I really don't like the smell and wondering why these people haven't swap to vapping. A lot less smelly and messy! More money to your pocket.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Your logic is wrong. Smoking on balconies is now against the rules. Don't smoke on the balcony. Period. The end.

How about we hold those responsible for breaking the rule, not those trying to enjoy their balconies while following the rules?

This is exactly right!

You're not serious, are you?

Smoking on balconies is forbidden. It's a safety issue.

Maybe you should book a window or interior room that's closer and more convenient to the smoking deck.

As a former officer I'd think you'd recognize that when someone is knowingly acting in the wrong, asking them to stop sometimes just makes them even more belligerent.

"Hey, you can't smoke out here, please stop."

"Eff you..(continues to smoke"

And it only goes downhill from there.

So tell me why I have to confront anyone? I go on vacation to relax. And if you don't tell the cruise line about a problem, you aren't being fair and giving them the chance to resolve it. It's not my job to police anything and make people follow rules.

And you still didn't answer the actual questions; if it's the rare smoker that would say "Okay, I will stop and only smoke in designated areas" then they should not get their delicate feelings hurt regardless of who asks.

I think some smokers just are trying to play games so they can get away with breaking rules. It's as simple as that. Some people are doormats and will allow it or work out little schedules. I won't. Paid for a smoke free environment and am going to get one and not going to play little games about it.

Do you have any idea of how difficult it is to stop smoking? Of all addictions I think it's the hardest to kick and I speak from experience. So be a little understanding of people. If it bothers you, tell them. Believe me, smokers don't want to offend. Give them the chance to do the right thing. Of course if their answer is "Eff you!" all bets are off.

Elvis

Question: Is your screen name taken from the actress Lois Maxwell from the "James Bond" movies?

Do you have any idea of how difficult it is to stop smoking? Of all addictions I think it's the hardest to kick and I speak from experience. So be a little understanding of people. If it bothers you, tell them. Believe me, smokers don't want to offend. Give them the chance to do the right thing. Of course if their answer is "Eff you!" all bets are off.

Elvis

Question: Is your screen name taken from the actress Lois Maxwell from the "James Bond" movies?

Well said Elvis. Central, show me 63 at the house...........lol

As a retired police officer I can honestly say some people are just not happy unless they're complaining! Maybe if they put in a smoking lounge on Allure people wouldn't have to smoke on their balconies. Honestly, they build the biggest cruise ship in the world and don't put in a smoking lounge!

Elvis

Now, have your way with me!

As a retired LEO I would have expected a more 'the rules are the rules' approach.

Going on our first cruise next year and booked a balcony. I am very intolerant of smoke, as I do start coughing and weezing, so following this thread. I would not turn somebody in unless it was actually causing me issues (IE smoke/smell coming into our balcony) but also don't see why people think it is better to confront the person.

I am non-confrontational by nature, and don't want to start a confrontation. While some may welcome/abide by the request, I know many smokers that get pissed if anybody asks them not to. If I do confront them, they get pissed, then I have to go to Security, they will know it was me, and potentially cause a confrontation. When I am on vacation I just want to relax, not get stressed out.

If smoking was allowed on balconies, I would probably not pay the premium for a balcony. If there were no safety issues, and it was only because of consideration of other guest, they could easily make one side of the ship balconies smoking and the other not, and put warnings when booking.

If you get reported for breaking the rules (that you signed), take the punishment. Be responsible for your actions and take the consequences of those actions. Don't want the punishment, don't break the rules. All of the comments about people speeding and such, if you speed and get caught you pay the fine, you are accepting that risk by speeding, but it does not make it right. Same thing here, break the rules, get caught, pay the fine.

Maybe you should book a window or interior room that's closer and more convenient to the smoking deck.

Then keep booking balconies and keep being frustrated. If a few of the anti-smokers on this thread are as nasty in person as they are on this thread, I think they're probably a miserable lot in life anyway. IMO, it's all about relaxing, enjoying, and not allowing things to get you so wound up. One's approach in how they handle themselves goes a long way in how things are resolved. As others have stated, few if any smoker wishes to offend others. But if aggressively approached, it then turns the situation into a personality conflict which ultimately loses the important message that the smoking bothers you. As the old saying goes, 'You can attract more bees with honey than vinegar'. My point is, some look for, sieze upon the opportunity to be confrontational, especially w/ smokers. Some actually think smokers are less than others, which is completely false. And then there are others that take a different approach and attempt to reconcile their differences in an adult manner.

For the record, there are more fires on ships started in the kitchens than on balconies, so I'm not into the whole 'safety' issue crap. Do we just stop cooking? Well hell no. But I understand that rules are rules. I'm not a perfect person and neither are you & others. Rules violations happen daily in our lives. Period. Driving over the speed limit is a proven fact to create more accidents and deaths than any type of balcony smoking. But I'd bet dollars to donuts that everyone on this thread drives over the speed limit on occasion, if not on an often basis. Do you take pictures and video of those speeding? How about yourself? Do you self report your own speeding violations? After all, you are endangering the lives of others.

So lighten up everyone. Relax & enjoy your cruise, and enjoy one another as well. If you can't, then go ahead and allow yourself to get all wound up and ruin your cruise vacation. Even if it's for a moment, a day, or the whole enchillada. And when reporting violators of rules, be about doing it for all broken rules to Guest Services.

I also sure wish a few of the anti-smokers in this thread would list what cruises they have booked coming up. Because I would avoid these cruises like a plaugue. Not because I want to smoke on my balcony (which I don't) but to avoid the individual. Some are just too wound up and not the folks I wish to be around much less share time with on a cruise ship.

Finally, one has to be pretty hard up in life to sit on their own balcony, and while postioned across from another ship, then count the cabins of smokers, and then complain about it on this board. Tattle Tale? maybe. Loser? most definitly.

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin

Not a smoker, but grew up in a house full of them. I HATE the smell. If there wasn't a smell associated with it that did not cling to everything, I would not care. But the fumes do not stay put and they make people and their clothes/hair stink. I get that smokers feel persecuted, as they are subjected to more and more restrictions on when and where they can smoke. But there are actually scientifically proven reasons the nonsmokers don't want to smell the fumes.

The smokeless ashtrays are awesome. And provided in designated areas which myself and my children stay away from.

That being said, if we have smokers next door who like to use their balconies to smoke, I would see if we can come to a mutual agreement that's beneficial to both parties. If not, I will report them as needed if it begins to negatively impact my family vacation.

Edited by LJ1012
Note the emphasis on IF :)

As a retired LEO I would have expected a more 'the rules are the rules' approach.

Police Officers enforce laws, not rules. And the key to being an effective Police Officer is to know when to use discretion. Not every situation has to be handled in the same manner. Police Officers have discretion when it comes to low level crimes and motor vehicle violations. Not everything has to be looked at as being cut & dry.

Not a smoker, but grew up in a house full of them. I HATE the smell. If there wasn't a smell associated with it that did not cling to everything, I would not care. But the fumes do not stay put and they make people and their clothes/hair stink. I get that smokers feel persecuted, as they are subjected to more and more restrictions on when and where they can smoke. But there are actually scientifically proven reasons the nonsmokers don't want to smell the fumes.

The smokeless ashtrays are awesome. And provided in designated areas which myself and my children stay away from.

That being said, if we have smokers next door who like to use their balconies to smoke, I would see if we can come to a mutual agreement that's beneficial to both parties. If not, I will report them as needed if it begins to negatively impact my family vacation.

You already gave a mutual agreement. It's called " the Guest Conduct Policy". I would have no problem reporting someone violating the no smoking policy anywhere on the ship.

Wow! It's been a long time since there has been a good smoker thread on here! They were very common place before the balcony ban took place! I wonder if this one will go on for days as in time past.......Oh this brings back nostalgia! :cool:

You're missing the point. I'm not saying it's okay to smoke on your balcony. I'm just saying that you should speak up for yourself. Don't get an attitude like you're the lord high executioner! Just ask the person to please stop smoking. It's as simple as that. If the person complies, case closed! If the person tells you to go f**k yourself, then call in the big guns! And to just clear things up, I don't smoke cigarettes anymore, I smoke cigars. And I certainly don't smoke on my balcony. So if you smell smoke, it's not me!

Elvis

Police Officers enforce laws, not rules. And the key to being an effective Police Officer is to know when to use discretion. Not every situation has to be handled in the same manner. Police Officers have discretion when it comes to low level crimes and motor vehicle violations. Not everything has to be looked at as being cut & dry.

Well said!

Elvis

I get its against the rules, but people still apparently do it....so if you know this going in, why would you put yourself in that position? Unless of course you are one of those people that are constantly at guest services pointing out what every guest is doing wrong....if so, have at it and enjoy your cruise ;)

Elvis

Smoked 15 years and gave it up, I know it is difficult.

But that's hardly a reason I should have to smell smoke on a non-smoking balcony.

As for the "eff off" comment; there are a lot of belligerent people in the world who if asked nicely and say "eff off" and then deal with ship security will go out of their way to be jerks to the neighbor they think called. that is why I said just call ship personnel first; then the smoker doesn't know who, if anyone at all, called and isn't going to retaliate.

As to the James Bond question; no. But that is the first time I have been asked that!

You seem to be missing my point....we have a load of posters on here complaining about people "breaking the rules", and nothing seems to be done....so going into that, a reasonable person says to themselves that while smoking isn't allowed in most areas of the ship, there are the inconsiderate ones who are all about themselves and will smoke on their balconies....we good so far. We already agree that the "smoke police" aren't really going to do anything about these inconsiderate people. So if smoke bothers you that much, and you have been on numerous cruises that it has ruined your balcony time, WHY WOULD YOU CONTINUE TO BOOK A BALCONY ROOM? Book a room with a window or inside room, save money and not be annoyed by the smoke. I personally don't like smoke. I have been on balconies where close by a person was smoking on their balcony. I went back into my room for about 10 mins, came back out and sat on my balcony. Now I see your retort coming...."they shouldn't be smoking"....you are right, but these are inconsiderate people we are dealing with, so they are going to do what they want to do and to heck with everyone else. Its not right, I get it, but they do it anyway

Finally, one has to be pretty hard up in life to sit on their own balcony, and while postioned across from another ship, then count the cabins of smokers, and then complain about it on this board. Tattle Tale? maybe. Loser? most definitly.

Was it really necessary to stoop to name calling?:(

You seem to be missing my point....we have a load of posters on here complaining about people "breaking the rules", and nothing seems to be done....so going into that, a reasonable person says to themselves that while smoking isn't allowed in most areas of the ship, there are the inconsiderate ones who are all about themselves and will smoke on their balconies....we good so far. We already agree that the "smoke police" aren't really going to do anything about these inconsiderate people. So if smoke bothers you that much, and you have been on numerous cruises that it has ruined your balcony time, WHY WOULD YOU CONTINUE TO BOOK A BALCONY ROOM? Book a room with a window or inside room, save money and not be annoyed by the smoke. I personally don't like smoke. I have been on balconies where close by a person was smoking on their balcony. I went back into my room for about 10 mins, came back out and sat on my balcony. Now I see your retort coming...."they shouldn't be smoking"....you are right, but these are inconsiderate people we are dealing with, so they are going to do what they want to do and to heck with everyone else. Its not right, I get it, but they do it anyway

I don't CONTINUE TO BOOK A BALCONY ROOM. We have never booked a balcony before, but decided to to celebrate our milestone anniversary on our Alaskan cruise. If smoking on balconies is a problem on our cruise, if I know who the offender is, I'll report it to GS. If I can't enjoy the balcony I paid for, then you bet I'm going to complain about selfish people breaking the rules we all agreed to when we booked.

So I guess that everyone is going to let this slide. Its not a big issue:rolleyes: As more and more people get away with smoking on the balcony's with no repercussions, the ships will eventually end up back where they were before the ban. I am totally surprised at the push back I and other posters have been getting regarding this. I so want to relax and enjoy ourselves but apparently it is ok for some inconsiderate idiot on the next balcony to ruin it for us!!! It is not up to us to take care of the problem - the ship should be required to enforce their own rules. They have no problem confiscating liquor or clothes irons!!!! I was looking forward to our first cruise on the Radiance but now .......