noro sailing / no salt and pepper?

suec12

I'm booked on a cruise on Infinity in a couple of weeks. Evidently now, there is some noro on board. I've read that when this is the case, there are no salt / pepper shakers on tables, in the buffet? dining room? so if you want some salt for you food - do they hand you packets?

My kids are on Infinity currently.

It is not code red.

Code red is when there is no salt / pepper and they serve you the drinks in the buffet.

They have been pushing using the Purel more than normal.

Two days left on this cruise.

Hopefully the extensive cleaning will remove the limited breakout onboard.

I've not been on a norovirus cruise on Celebrity but have been on them on other lines. I remember on Princess, they offer to shake the salt and pepper for you, which I thought was a little strange. I like the packet idea better.

When a code red is announced, you are not able to use the serving spoons or tongs in the buffet and no bread basket was delivered to our table. One of the waiters had the bread basket and offered you a roll / bread throughout the dining room. They also had an attendee at the purell station requesting you to use the sanitizer before entering any food venue.

The railings on the ship always seemed to be wet with some sanitizing solution, which was ok by me. They were taking things seriously. The captain even got on the PA and announced that if we ever wanted to get our 'tong privileges' back, we would need to do a better job of washing our hands. We were also urged to only use our stateroom bathrooms and not the public bathrooms unless it was an emergency and they even closed the library down as to give the bug time to die out on its own. We were hit with two separate bouts of this bug during a 15 night cruise, which followed a bout of it and a deep cleaning on the previous cruise....so three separate incidences in all .... but more likely, just one long continuous bout. I felt sorry for the captain as it really wasn't his fault as passenger(s) most likely brought it on and spread it around. I suppose it ultimately affected the crew and spread to more passengers. What a vicious cycle!

Best protection is still good old hand hygiene.

I had norovirus once - on the old Celebrity Mercury - and believe me, salt packets vs salt shakers was the last thing on my mind!

I think it is not for those that are sick but for those to prevent touching anything, especially in the dining room, of those that are harboring the disease. It is all about prevention of those that are still healthy.