Flights out of San Diego after the cruise

cabinluvn

I am having trouble booking flights out of San Diego after disembarkation. The latest morning time is 10:40 am or else leaving in the evening and flying to Miami before heading back to Wisconsin and arriving the next morning. Do you think we can get off the ship and to the airport in time? Otherwise we will have to stay an extra day and fly out the next morning

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If you do some reading on the West Coast Departures board, you will see many stories of slow Immigration and Customs clearings at San Diego. Normally, you could probably make it. But given the history there, it could be problematic.

I'm looking at similar flight times out of SAN, too early or quite late, so we've decided to stay the day and night in San Diego and fly out the following morning. (We'd have to either spend a night in San Diego or a night in Albuquerque before we could stock up on groceries and drive to the mountains and heat up a frozen house, so getting home late in the evening is not good for us.)

You could also check into other airports, possibly Long Beach, John Wayne, or even <gasp> LAX. A SuperShuttle type transfer to LAX might give you good options. Not sure if the cruise line offers a transfer to LAX. m--

San Diego is a mess for disembarkation. Many times the ship did not clear until around 10:30 AM.

We got off the Westerdam just 3 weeks ago and once again we did not clear until after 9 AM. To make matters worse only 1 elevator was working and the line to get down to the lower level to claim our luggage was very long -- took us the better part of 45 minutes.

When we got our forms to indicate our plans for disembarkation day, I noticed that the first group to leave the ship was scheduled for 9:15.

We always stay over at least 1 night and fly home the next morning.

I really appreciate all the posts on this thread. We ended up making reservations at the best western bayside for $144/night. Flights back to the Midwest are a nightmare and it seems you can't get here from there without leaving very early or else fly for 24 hours or arrive really late. None left after 9:50 am and I know we could not make that. So we will stay an extra night and fly home the next day

I am having trouble booking flights out of San Diego after disembarkation. The latest morning time is 10:40 am or else leaving in the evening and flying to Miami before heading back to Wisconsin and arriving the next morning. Do you think we can get off the ship and to the airport in time? Otherwise we will have to stay an extra day and fly out the next morning

I would not book a flight out of San Diego before noon at the earliest. We had what would seem, by comparison to the other stories mentioned here, a fairly smooth disembarkation experience but still didn't get to the airport until 10:15am. Our flight was early afternoon, around 1pm, and we had time for a visit to the SkyClub for a quick lunch before boarding.

Does anyone know if HAL offers Luggage Direct in San Diego for Mexico cruises? I've seen conflicting reports on the West Coast board- evidently Carnival has offered it when returning to San Diego.

Would be nice to have the big stuff sent to the airport as we have a wait for our flight and could walk around a bit that morning.

I checked HAL's site and the only ports listed for Luggage Direct are Anchorage, Fort Lauderdale and Seattle.

San Diego used to be listed (as well as Tampa) but I guess HAL has dropped those ports.

I'm hoping it gets re-added with the additional sailings from there

I really appreciate all the posts on this thread. We ended up making reservations at the best western bayside for $144/night. Flights back to the Midwest are a nightmare and it seems you can't get here from there without leaving very early or else fly for 24 hours or arrive really late. None left after 9:50 am and I know we could not make that. So we will stay an extra night and fly home the next day

Not unusual for the west coast. Due to the time zones, when you fly east it is either early morning, or late at night on red eye flights.