Found jewelry on the Sunshine

terkopp5

klfrodo, I believe YOU are the misguided one. Don't flame the OP, he/she said that they also let CCL know both what was found and the room number. The OP is behaving in a most HONEST way...the pax in the cabin before her COULD be in that 1% that reads CC (how do you know they are not?) in addition to being in the balance of the 99% of population that you deems would call CCL! All "corners" are covered in the way in which the OP is going about this! Hey, play nice, you don't even know the OP or their intent!!

I'll respectfully disagree, but that's okay. You're right, I do not know the OP.

Their intentions were probably good, however, this is what I know for a fact.

OP removed an object of some value from the ship and took it home with them,, that's stealing.

Be interested in hearing what the OP plans to do with this piece of jewelry if nobody claims it.

I'm not sure how anyone gets "stealing" from taking a piece found in YOUR safe? The OP is doing someone a favor by trying to return a LOST piece that she did not "steal"...

I wonder sometimes why anyone post anything on here anymore... it gets twisted so bad by a few, how about you take the OP at face value and if you hear if someone missing something from that cruise, let them know where they can find out more info... otherwise don't worry about.

Edited by bobsfamily

if the OP doesn't find the owner, they either keep it or it goes to carnival where they have already said they don't trust them. so that's a catch 22

if the OP keeps is, its called theft by finding and it is against the law.

so either the OP gives it to Carnival (which they should have done to begin with) or they are guilty of theft.

It wasn't the OPs safe it's Carnivals safe. I don't believe the OP took it with the intent to steal it at all but that is basically what they did. They removed property that wasn't theirs. Just because it was left in the safe didn't make it their property. Being left in the safe made it Carnivals property until it was reclaimed, in no way did it transfer to the OP. Removing it from the ship was theft intentional or not.

What I would do at this point is post it to FB, trust me it will be shared thousands of times, put up a pic along with the ship, room # etc and watch the magic begin. I have seen dozens of lost pieces of jewelry find their rightful owners by being shared on FB. You won't have to worry about some thief claiming it because the real owner will have proof they were indeed in that room prior to you, they will have their Carnival boarding passes etc from the cruise to copy and show you and will probably have plenty of proof on their fb page. Maybe even a photo of them wearing the item you found. Or don't post the photo just a generic description like ring and have them give you details to prove it's theirs.

Good luck :)

Edited by poobears

I'm not sure how anyone gets "stealing" from taking a piece found in YOUR safe? The OP is doing someone a favor by trying to return a LOST piece that she did not "steal"...

I wonder sometimes why anyone post anything on here anymore... it gets twisted so bad by a few, how about you take the OP at face value and if you hear if someone missing something from that cruise, let them know where they can find out more info... otherwise don't worry about.

Again, misguided thinking. Just turn the item in to the ship, not take it home with you.

Yes, by taking it off the ship she "stole" it, regardless of her good intentions. Why is it so hard for folks to understand this? It was never hers to take or to have in her possession.

The road to ruin is often paved with good intentions.

I can't believe anyone would think the right thing to do is taking the item home with them! As the more intelligent posters have pointed out, the correct procedure is to turn it in to guest services. How this is up to debate is beyond me :rolleyes:

Many of us disagree - in your response, you have stealing and taking linked together.

And it wasn't her safe -

Obviously, the poster was trying to be a do-gooder (because of her unrealistic phobia about Carnival not returning the item to the rightful owner), but in reality by removing the item from the ship (which she had no right to do) she made it much more difficult for the owner to get their property back.

Now, Carnival is under no obligation to provide her with the former cabin occupants info and is protected from doing so by privacy standards. So the burden is on she who took the item, not on Carnival - where it would of been and should have been had she turned it in as soon as she found it.

Long story short - chances of owner recovering their item are greatly diminished.

And once there is an insurance claim on it, and the claim is paid - under the law in many states - she will be in control of property listed as lost/stolen.

If the OP called Carnival, Carnival should be able to look through there records and have all the contact information for the person who was booked in the room prior to the OP. Carnival certainly could reach out and provide OP number

Privacy restrictions prevent Carnival from doing so, they have no obligation what-so-ever since poster took the item off the ship.

Edited by lizardhowson

Unfortunately, couldn't anyone on CC or Facebook respond to the OP and claim that the item is theirs? OP said it was in a safe, most people only put valuable items in safes. How can the OP verify that the person claiming the item was even on that ship? I doubt Carnival will verify the info.

In most US States, taking property that that you know doesn't belong to you is classified as theft.

Two classic examples:

1) the bank's ATM gives you more cash than you expected

2) the armored truck's rear door opens and bags of money fall out on the roadway

In both cases, taking the $$$ is against the law.

You might have differing opinions, like finders keepers, but it is still against the law.

I imagine that finding jewelry or money in a ship's safe is similar to the above examples.

In any event, I hope the OP gets to return the jewelry to the rightful owner.

If this thread helps people to turn "found" stuff into Guest Services, then it has become a very positive Public Service Announcement.

Edited by evandbob

Unfortunately, couldn't anyone on CC or Facebook respond to the OP and claim that the item is theirs? OP said it was in a safe, most people only put valuable items in safes. How can the OP verify that the person claiming the item was even on that ship? I doubt Carnival will verify the info.

If you said I found a ladies ring in the safe on sunshine and put in all the details then someone says I forgot mine and can tell you exactly what the ring looks like, you know it's their ring. The key is not to give all the details up front. If there is engraving or something that makes it unique use that for identification purposes.

Rosy, if you read the OP's post, no info was given on what type of jewelry was found. Someone claiming to have lost the article would have to conclusively ID what they said they lost.

Rosy, if you read the OP's post, no info was given on what type of jewelry was found. Someone claiming to have lost the article would have to conclusively ID what they said they lost.

That's true. Sorry guys, didn't think my post through!

Hi there

I think the OP deserves a bit of slack. Perhaps they were misguided but I am not going to judge them.

They said they told Carnival they have this property and they have identified themselves. I'm not a lawyer. Whose property is it if it goes unclaimed?... in their or Carnival's possession.

There was a post last week where someone was commenting about someone walking away with their prized glass. That is theft to me. I have to think there may be a grey area in this case.

For some it is more cut and dry. I will not question the OP's intentions.

Havre a good day

Hi there

I think the OP deserves a bit of slack. Perhaps they were misguided but I am not going to judge them.

They said they told Carnival they have this property and they have identified themselves. I'm not a lawyer. Whose property is it if it goes unclaimed?... in their or Carnival's possession.

There was a post last week where someone was commenting about someone walking away with their prized glass. That is theft to me. I have to think there may be a grey area in this case.

For some it is more cut and dry. I will not question the OP's intentions.

Havre a good day

Well said!

it will never be the OP's even if unclaimed. they HAVE to turn it in to Carnival eventually

Just wondering who or what would assure that this is returned to Carnival ?

And should that ever happen, what will Carnival do with it or do to get it back to the owner if Carnival receives it weeks later.

I think we need to educate people on what to do and what NOT to do when finding another person's property in their cabin. Taking it off the ship and into their possession is what NOT to do.

I just got off the phone with my lawyer-pilot-friend. Yes, it is considered theft! It is not yours to take in your possession. How hard is this to understand? For some it apparently is.

Forget about social media as a means to return items after you have found them. Not all cruisers are on CC or FB. You turn them in to the cruise line while on board, not when you get home with them. If you make that mistake, send the item to the cruise line with date and cabin number. The cruise line is NOT going to give you the name, address and phone number of the owner so you can affect the return of the item. That's silly thinking.

There are no excuses for doing otherwise. The OP should immediately call the appropriate department at CCL and mail them the item. It should have never been removed from the ship to begin with.

Lesson learned.

I just got off the phone with my lawyer-pilot-friend. Yes, it is considered theft! I

Ask your lawyer friend again if the finder is not intending to keep the owner of the property from it, if it would be considered theft.

Just wondering who or what would assure that this is returned to Carnival ?

And should that ever happen, what will Carnival do with it or do to get it back to the owner if Carnival receives it weeks later.

No one can assure it will be returned no CCL. If it gets to CCL they may have a report on it, if it has been reported lost on board, then they can get it back to the owner, even weeks / months later.

This is why you turn in the item and not take it off the ship.

"Hmmm...that is a nice diamond bracelet I took off the ship, and I just had a jeweler appraise it, and offer me $2000 for it". Will it ever get back to the owner?

The OP does not realize it, but they did steal something that was not theirs from the ship- good intentions aside.

This is why you turn lost items in, not take them home.

I suspect I'll be fighting this battle for years to come, especially with those who think it is "okay" to take other's possessions off the ship.

No one can assure it will be returned no CCL. If it gets to CCL they may have a report on it, if it has been reported lost on board, then they can get it back to the owner, even weeks / months later.

This is why you turn in the item and not take it off the ship.

"Hmmm...that is a nice diamond bracelet I took off the ship, and I just had a jeweler appraise it, and offer me $2000 for it". Will it ever get back to the owner?

The OP does not realize it, but they did steal something that was not theirs from the ship- good intentions aside.

This is why you turn lost items in, not take them home.

I suspect I'll be fighting this battle for years to come, especially with those who think it is "okay" to take other's possessions off the ship.

Ask your lawyer friend again if the finder is not intending to keep the owner of the property from it, if it would be considered theft.

it will never be the OP's even if unclaimed. they HAVE to turn it in to Carnival eventually

Sometimes I wonder where everyone got their "attorney's" license... or whatever you want to call it...

BTW love the comment about "I just got off the phone with my lawyer-pilot-friend"... what state does he/she hold that, is it in international law, maritime law? Does it matter after the fact, can you make any assumptions from a CC thread... Is this a real occurrence or someones dream/way to have fun/whatever they felt like typing that day/etc?

Did your friend tell you that unless he/she had more specifics he/she could not make a true determination of what happened and that only a court of law could find someone guilty, that regardless of anything else all are presumed innocent until proven otherwise in a court of law? Did they mention that part? NO ONE STOLE ANYTHING...

Call a friend about something you read on the internet and you will get about as good advice as the internet....

I've had enough of "listening" to the chatter, I hope you (the OP) find the person who lost their stuff. You are doing what you can, and what you think is right (I doubt you will be back though)!

Edited by bobsfamily

I would bet that the OP felt like many do that the item would never make it back to the original owner...like we hear most often happens. Cameras, IPads, jewelry, etc are never found. The owner calls Carnival and the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. Carnival is not going to seek out the owner. They will sit and wait for a call from the owner.

I applaud the OP for wanting to do more than Carnival would to find the rightful owner. Because otherwise that item is going to sit in some box in some storage closet in a Carnival office and never reach its owner.

I feel the OP had good intentions. And I will bet they will find the owner. Just my two cents.