Princess Grand-class VS Celebrity Infinity

MsSoCalCruiser

I am blessed with a lot of friends and several of them are ready to cruise! I wanted to book a cruise with Princess but unfortunately this cruise, the itinerary on Celebrity Infinity won out.

For those of you who cruise with Princess and Celebrity have you also cruised on the Celebrity Infinity? If so, what were your likes and dislikes? I'm afraid I will miss my favorites, the Crown Grill and the International Cafe. Is there anything on the Infinity that compares to my favorites?

Thanks in advance :)

Your friends will really, really owe you one. I was on Celebrity Infinity in February 2012 and still have not gotten the taste out of my mouth of the dreadfully poor service in the Dining Room and how limited and surcharge-laden even the casual alternatives were. (There's a link to my review in my signature, but you may want to pass if you are 100% committed to sailing Infinity).

I understand Infinity has recently replaced one of its two snooty artsy-fartsy nouveau tiny-serving Specialty Restaurants with a steakhouse. Whether it merits a 50% higher cover charge than Crown Grill on Princess is up to you. On my Infinity cruise I would have given my right arm for a decent steak no matter the price as there was none to be found in the MDR. As for something comparable to the International Cafe, fuggedaboutit. After 11 PM it is impossible to get a sweet snack without paying an upcharge; some sections of the buffet are open late but not a speck of dessert is offered. You either have to pay to go to the creperie called Bistro on Five (which was open til 2 AM four years ago but now seems to have reduced hours) or order room service which now carries a delivery fee overnight.

If you have not booked one of the upper "class" (sic) cabin categories [Aqua or Concierge] and will be dining in the regular MDR be prepared to hear NO to any simple request. Sauce on the side? NO. The salmon comes with broccoli, the chicken with sprouts, can I get the chicken with a side of broccoli? NO. And if Afternoon Tea is also one of your preferred Princess staples, on my two weeks on Infinity there was only one day it was open for all--either they only had the upcharge "special" tea time, or admission was restricted to upper level loyalty members. As was the galley tour and several other sea-day activities.

So you will have to put aside much of what you like about Princess. Along with the benefits of being Platinum on Princess versus whatever X is calling their lowest level these days (I see in your signature you have one previous cruise). Whenever I see someone on Cruise Critic opine that Princess and Celebrity are much more alike than different, sometimes I wonder what they have been smoking--though upon further reflection I am happy for them that they didn't have to witness the ridiculousness, nor be subject to the demeaning treatment of first-timers that seems to be the norm, that I did in my two weeks on Infinity.

Edited by fishywood

Oh, no. I will actually really owe them. :(

I chose this cruise due to its itinerary. A few of us wanted to go to Monterey and also overnight in San Francisco. I wish Princess would do this one.

Did you like the ship? On my last and only Celebrity cruise had the same great itinerary but the ship was in sad shape. We actually had the smell of some type of fuel in our room several times during our cruise. The ship was retired shortly after we were on it. I was hoping that this ship would be a lot nicer.

Thanks for your reply.

OK to be fair the ship is compact compared to the Grand-class Princess ships and is simply laid out. The only time crowds were an issue was during the chaotic tour dispatch in each port. I don't recall any condition issues; from what I see Infinity has had a major refit last year. The decor was more resort than nautical, thought what struck me the most about the public rooms was that there was very little natural light; no windows in the bars and corridors on the lower public decks as on Princess ships.

I chose Infinity strictly on price--caught a promo with a less than 100% single supplement so 14 nights on X was substantially less than 12 nights of the same ports on HAL [Princess had already left South America for the season]. I didn't ask but if Celebrity would have extended the same offer for the next cruise (the repo back to Ft Lauderdale) I could have sailed back for less than what I paid to fly home! Though really, really thankful that I didn't. And my inside guarantee ended up being a large outside cabin, but right across from the crew doors to the purser's office so there was constant foot traffic and conversations in an array of languages outside my door.

Despite my experience I still subscribe to the notion that there's no such thing as a bad cruise. What I felt on my one Infinity cruise was serious culture shock: not from the exotic location or the wildly diverse passenger make up (all announcements were in five languages) but from the feeling that something fundamental in the cruise experience was being withheld from me simply because this was my first cruise on Celebrity--not so much the tangible benefits of being Platinum on Princess but the attitude of the crew (and a few fellow passengers) that those who haven't earned the loyalty benefits are less entitled to even the most basic comforts and conveniences that I thought (until boarding Infinity) were common to all cruiselines.

Edited by fishywood

The last time I sailed Infinity it was great. So I'm sorry to hear these reports. I like the layout of the Millenium Class ships and have sailed all four of them. I love Bistro on Five which has a ten dollar surcharge and serves delicious crepes, sandwiches and desserts. The buffet is very good IMO. They frequently have sushi and at the back of the buffet (by the aft door to the deck) there is a station that makes steaks every night and a baked potato bar.

The Cafe Al Bacio on Deck 5 is very similar to the International Cafe. They offer donuts and pastries in the morning and sandwiches during the day and desserts in the evening (free). The coffee is not free.

I have been to Qsine which I thought was whimsical and fun, but it isn't gourmet.

I haven't tried the Tuscan Grille yet.

I do like the indoor solarium on Millenium class with the Spa Cuisine. They serve breakfast and lunch there with low calorie options.

I think variety is the spice of life- I wouldn't hesitate to sail the Infinity. It's a lovely ship.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Rebeccalouiseagain and Coral you are making me feel much better! Please, tell me more good things. How many people fit in the Thalasstherapy pool? Can you compare the buffets? What about the movie area outside on the Infinity? The photo that I saw made it look rather small. Is it larger than I think?

I looked on you tube but didn't find very much. We actually have a very long wait for this cruise so I have plenty of time to ask questions. :)

Yes, I've cruised on the Infinity and on Princess. There are good and less good things on both, and I would cruise either line again if the price and scheduling was right.

Plus for Celebrity--

There is a place that has "munchies" that were better than the IC desserts! The almond croissants were amazing. I've forgotten the name of the place, but it was great.

The AquaSpa area has a "healthy food" outlet that serves great grilled salmon, a variety of salads, etc. Excellent. This is by the adult pool, not in the spa but it had AquaSpa in the name.

Buffet on Celebrity is more varied with many ethnicities represented

Ice Cream bar has limited hours, but great product--included in cruise fare

Entertainment...the variety acts were better on the Infinity. In particular, there was a superb female comedian. Can't say much for the "Stars of the Infinity" though. The "around the ship acts were good, essentially comparable to Princess.

Soda package is in cans, so you can get one to take on an excursion if desired.

Guest Services desk was truly amazingly good.

Room steward lovely and cooperative

negatives for Celebrity

Afternoon tea was more elaborate than Princess, but at a high upcharge

Soda package for daughter was $8 per day, compared to $5 on Princess

Service in main dining room was poor. Soda refills were VERY slow in coming. The having to "beg" for a soda refill despite the "unlimited" package really bothered my daughter.

Upcharges seemed to be everywhere and higher than Princess

Positives for Princess

International Cafe is 24/7

Library

fewer upcharges, and lower when there was an upcharge

afternoon tea included in cruise fare

Piazza area

good dining room service

more variety in adult activities

Overall, a good product at a good price

Better loyalty program

Negative for Princess

our room steward specialized in telling us what he couldn't do--couldn't get blanket, mattress topper (requested in advance), or footstool. Had to ask for more soap

less elaborate buffet, slightly lower food quality

The lines are more alike than different...rather like different flavors of ice cream. I could be happy on either line based on my limited experience on each. We have 2 more Princess cruises booked, but we're doing Asia and Celebrity doesn't have that market.

I'll give you my young adult daughter's take. After Celebrity, while she loved Alaska, she wanted to return to Disney (our standard line). One night into our "try out" cruise on Princess, she confessed that she expected to not like it, but that "this is a good ship. There is nothing wrong with this at all, and we can do the long cruise here."

Edited by moki'smommy

Oh, no. I will actually really owe them. :(

I chose this cruise due to its itinerary. A few of us wanted to go to Monterey and also overnight in San Francisco. I wish Princess would do this one.

Did you like the ship? On my last and only Celebrity cruise had the same great itinerary but the ship was in sad shape. We actually had the smell of some type of fuel in our room several times during our cruise. The ship was retired shortly after we were on it. I was hoping that this ship would be a lot nicer.

Thanks for your reply.

I completely disagree with Fishywood. We've sailed on the Infinity three times, most recently in Sept 2015 and have sailed on the Grand ships numerous times and most recently in Dec 2015.

The Infinity wins hands down in my opinion.... I mean, the Grand class ships are not even in the same ballpark as the M-class ships, namely, the Infinity.

Of nearly 50 cruises, the Infinity and Equinox are my absolute favorite ships on the high seas.

I would have no qualms of booking another cruise on the Infinity ... as a matter of fact, I do have two more booked on her for next year.

I also love overnighting in San Francisco! It is such a wonderful port and it is even rather magical at night with the bay bridge's dancing light show every evening.

Not a one to one comparison, but the Aqua Spa Café on Celebrity reminds me a bit of the International Café.

Also, the Crown Grill is pretty amazing on Princess -- great food at a great price. However, the Infinity has the Tuscan Grille onboard now as well as QSine, but of which are almost double of what the Crown Grill charges. But, Celebrity is always running specials on the specialty restaurants so you may be able to get one of these for approx. the same price as you would pay on Princess. I heard the Crown Grill is going up (maybe already has) to $29 pp.

The Thalassotherapy pool on the Infinity is wonderful and would fit about 40 people but that might be a little tight. Their dry saunas are wonderful and you have a perfect view of the ocean.

There are also plenty of open spots where it seems as though very few people go ... no crowds and very comfy seating way up top. I understand that since we've sailed on them that they have redone the area around the outdoor pool. looks like they have another wonderful seating section there as well.

I am sure you won't owe your friends anything ... they will be thanking you for picking such a wonderful ship / itinerary.

Edited by Cruise Raider

Hi,

I have never cruised aboard the Infinity, but I have cruised aboard her three sisters (Constellation, Millennium and Summit). Also, I have cruised on seven different Princess Grand class ships (Caribbean, Crown, Golden, Grand, Emerald, Ruby and Sapphire). I honestly like both classes of ships. The Celebrity ships are not as large, but they are well-designed and have some nice public areas. In particular, I like the two story main dining room with the large windows across the back of the ship. I think the Celebrity ships have a very nice buffet and I love the ice cream served there. Overall, I think the food and service are fairly comparable between the lines. Even though I am a big Princess fan, I certainly would not hesitate to cruise on the Infinity.

Chuck

I completely disagree with Fishywood. We've sailed on the Infinity three times, most recently in Sept 2015 and have sailed on the Grand ships numerous times and most recently in Dec 2015.

The Infinity wins hands down in my opinion.... I mean, the Grand class ships are not even in the same ballpark as the M-class ships, namely, the Infinity.

Of nearly 50 cruises, the Infinity and Equinox are my absolute favorite ships on the high seas.

I would have no qualms of booking another cruise on the Infinity ... as a matter of fact, I do have two more booked on her for next year.

I also love overnighting in San Francisco! It is such a wonderful port and it is even rather magical at night with the bay bridge's dancing light show every evening.

Not a one to one comparison, but the Aqua Spa Café on Celebrity reminds me a bit of the International Café. Y

Also, the Crown Grill is pretty amazing on Princess -- great food at a great price. However, the Infinity has the Tuscan Grille onboard now as well as QSine, but of which are almost double of what the Crown Grill charges. But, Celebrity is always running specials on the specialty restaurants so you may be able to get one of these for approx. the same price as you would pay on Princess. I heard the Crown Grill is going up (maybe already has) to $29 pp.

The Thalassotherapy pool on the Infinity is wonderful and would fit about 40 people but that might be a little tight. Their dry saunas are wonderful and you have a perfect view of the ocean.

There are also plenty of open spots where it seems as though very few people go ... no crowds and very comfy seating way up top. I understand that since we've sailed on them that they have redone the area around the outdoor pool. looks like they have another wonderful seating section there as well.

I am sure you won't owe your friends anything ... they will be thanking you for picking such a wonderful ship / itinerary.

Hi,

I have never cruised aboard the Infinity, but I have cruised aboard her three sisters (Constellation, Millennium and Summit). Also, I have cruised on seven different Princess Grand class ships (Caribbean, Crown, Golden, Grand, Emerald, Ruby and Sapphire). I honestly like both classes of ships. The Celebrity ships are not as large, but they are well-designed and have some nice public areas. In particular, I like the two story main dining room with the large windows across the back of the ship. I think the Celebrity ships have a very nice buffet and I love the ice cream served there. Overall, I think the food and service are fairly comparable between the lines. Even though I am a big Princess fan, I certainly would not hesitate to cruise on the Infinity.

Chuck

Thank you both. It sounds like we will be happy. I really enjoy reading both, the good and the bad. I'm looking forward to our cruise on the infinity :)

Rebeccalouiseagain and Coral you are making me feel much better! Please, tell me more good things. How many people fit in the Thalasstherapy pool? Can you compare the buffets? What about the movie area outside on the Infinity? The photo that I saw made it look rather small. Is it larger than I think?

I looked on you tube but didn't find very much. We actually have a very long wait for this cruise so I have plenty of time to ask questions. :)

altho not on Infinity, & have been Concierge C3 and Aqua...loved the service and the ships....you will not be disappointed in Infinity