Boarding times

calpsy

Ive read here a few times that boarding can be a free for all regarding times showing up at the port . Why do they give you a time to check in and then just let anyone check in at any time ? Seems unfair someone having a 9.30 am check in and someone with a 1pm check in turn up at 9.30 and get in front . Is this right ??

Ive read here a few times that boarding can be a free for all regarding times showing up at the port . Why do they give you a time to check in and then just let anyone check in at any time ? Seems unfair someone having a 9.30 am check in and someone with a 1pm check in turn up at 9.30 and get in front . Is this right ??

I've always boarded between noon and 1 and is not a free for all, usually they give you a color code card and you are called to board by those colors. When you check in the lines are posted from Latitudes bronze lines, to Latitude Platinum (VIP) to the people who have the suites. I usually go to the Port between 10 and 11 am. I hope this helps.

Edited by qtaromar1970

Sorry you have picked me up wrong . Once you have checked in and got your number or colour or whatever then yes that part is ok . I mean the time people check in . If family A has a 10am check in and family B has a noon check in can family B turn up at 9.30am and check in ?

Check in usually begins about 10:30. Small crowd, fast processing. You'll be issued a boarding group number and boarding usually begins about 11:30. As the time approaches noon, the larger crowds begin to arrive. However, the only wait then is just to process through security and up to the check in desk. Boarding will then be immediate after you have completed that. By 2 or so, crowds about gone and lines generally short. There is no free for all. The process is very well organized. For the large number of guests arriving, it is remarkably smooth. So, it really doesn't matter when you arrive. You're not cheating anyone else. Just show up when it is most convenient for your schedule. But....noonish will be the biggest lines.

I've always boarded between noon and 1 and is not a free for all, usually they give you a color code card and you are called to board by those colors. When you check in the lines are posted from Latitudes bronze lines, to Latitude Platinum (VIP) to the people who have the suites. I usually go to the Port between 10 and 11 am. I hope this helps.

So,,,, the OP is talking about the fact that if you are *not* a Platinum member, NCL has begun printing check-in times on your eDocs. Platinum members and suites guest can show up any time. "Regular" passengers are allowed to select times for check-in (which, like restaurant reservations, go fast for prime time).

You are fortunate not to be encumbered by a fixed check-in time.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes when I use my details to login online I had to pick a check in time . I was able to get 9.30am but they are all gone now . I was asking if anyone with a noon check in time could in theory just turn up at any old time they want and check in before me . Im talking about the people with no status with the company .

Thanks for the replies.

Yes when I use my details to login online I had to pick a check in time . I was able to get 9.30am but they are all gone now . I was asking if anyone with a noon check in time could in theory just turn up at any old time they want and check in before me . Im talking about the people with no status with the company .

Yes they can. In theory NCL is trying to control check-in with the designated times. And we know how that works.

Don't think it is really a big deal.

Example : Say you have some some people who booked early and then had some friends decide to go at a later date. Shouldn't they will allowed to show up as a group even though they have different times?

Especially with newbies!

Thanks for the replies.

As of now, with NCL the check n times mean nothing. Other lines have started enforcing check in times, and it is likely only a matter of time until NCL does the same thing.

My opinion...boarding times will always have to be very flexible. The many variables that can affect your arrival at the port cannot be completely controlled. Shuttle schedules, traffic, flight delays, etc will always prevent any firm enforcement. And....a 9:30 arrival will generally mean you stand outside the terminal for maybe an hour waiting for the building to begin processing arriving guests.

Most cruisers are not on CC and don't know anything about boarding times except what NCL or TA's tell them. In order to slow the flow and spread it out, they started assigning boarding times. They are only suggestions at this time. There is no "getting ahead" of anyone, show up at the time that is best for you and your family. If you arrive at a busy time, it will be a bit slower than if you arrive late. The very best boarding times if you don't want to wait around is the last hour or so before check in closes.

So,,,, the OP is talking about the fact that if you are *not* a Platinum member, NCL has begun printing check-in times on your eDocs. Platinum members and suites guest can show up any time. "Regular" passengers are allowed to select times for check-in (which, like restaurant reservations, go fast for prime time).

You are fortunate not to be encumbered by a fixed check-in time.

Oh i did not know that NCL had begun printing check in times on your edocs, when did that start? has that been around for a while? you learn something new. Thanks.

I read on another thread that NCL was enforcing check in times in Seattle, don't

know if that is true or not.

I also posted on that thread that is NCL was going to "enforce" them they need to "tweak" the process.

Example: 2 people traveling on the same edocs have check in times hours apart. 1st person completed on line check in weeks before the second.

Same goes for a group traveling together arriving at the port at the same time,

some have wait hours outside terminal??????

I agree with trying to control the flow at the terminal, maybe it wont come to "enforcement" if people abide by the "suggested" check in time!

Manhattan Cruise Terminal: Yes, if you have a 9:30 check in time... it will be total chaos because everyone will be arriving at 9:30 even if they have a 12:30 check in time. EVERYONE goes through the Security Checkpoint before getting to the Check In counter and that is where the huge bottleneck is... once through that, then the flow is manageable because people are stuck in the Security Checkpoint line. The Pier Parking Garage opens at 9:00am for embarking passengers but those being dropped off are already inside.

I travelled in March and had a 9:30 check in time.... got there around 9:25 and when the elevator opened it was wall to wall people. I guestimated about 800 people in the Security Checkpoint line (the line is VERY organized and orderly so it was easy to count approx people in a row x the amount of rows snaking from the Security Checkpoint to the end)... it's just a massive amount of people showing up right at the beginning.

If there are 6 people on the same eDoc then they all will have the same check in time because you chose it while entering the information in MyNCL

Someone mentioned travelling groups that do their check in at different times.... sorry, they should be checked in at the time they independently chose. I travel Southwest Airlines and I check in 24 hours before my flight and am assigned A14.... because I have an idiot brother who checks in his family group of 13 only 8 hours before the flight and gets C31 - C43... why should they all get to enjoy the A group because I am there and annoy and frustrate the poor person at A15 who followed the process.

As long as you accept that the crowds will be ginormous and plan accordingly and tell yourself "you're on vacation" ... you should be ok..... now, for me to take my own advice =D

Carnival has started issuing check-in times for some ships in some ports. I experienced it for the first time a few weeks ago on the Breeze in Miami. I knew in advance that they had implemented this. They do indeed not let you into the building until your assigned check-in time. It was still a little chaotic outside the building as the process is still new and people are trying to figure it out. They had a line open for the "Current time slot" that entered the building and another line for "Next time slot" which was held until the appropriate time. I would not be surprised to see other lines start to implement this. But as of yet, NCL has never enforced the check in time it on me.