How long to clear customs at Barcelona Airport?

We are flying in to Barcelona from the US and arrive at 7:45am on a Friday. We would like to plan a tour, but are not sure of the timing of getting off of the plane, clearing customs and getting our luggage.

Any thoughts or experiences to share? Thanks!

We are flying in to Barcelona from the US and arrive at 7:45am on a Friday. We would like to plan a tour, but are not sure of the timing of getting off of the plane, clearing customs and getting our luggage.

Any thoughts or experiences to share? Thanks!

Assuming that your plane isn't late, I would count on at least an hour - that's roughly the time it took us last time we landed in BCN.

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 1

We have a tour planned with Barcelona Day tours from the airport on the day we arrive. We get in at 7:15 am, and they will pick up one hour after landing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

That's who we are looking at. What month are you arriving?

Barcelona is usually not bad but last time 4 planes arrived at the same time. It took hours. We didn't get to the hotel till after 1pm.

That is my fear. I wonder if there's a way to check to see how many international flights are landing at around the same time before we leave.

Edited by 3redheads

The end of June. I hadn't even thought of customs being a problem or delay. Fingers crossed, I guess. I imagine that BDT would probably be flexible with that...we can't control customs lines. I don't know though. Hoping that the previous posters experience was unusual and not the norm.

The end of June. I hadn't even thought of customs being a problem or delay. Fingers crossed, I guess. I imagine that BDT would probably be flexible with that...we can't control customs lines. I don't know though. Hoping that the previous posters experience was unusual and not the norm.

If I remember correctly, they said they would wait an hour. Which tour are you doing? We want to do downtown Barcelona and Monserrat.

I am a very frequent flyer and have not found Barcelona to have any major issues with non-Schengen international arrivals.

De-planing is certainly the most time consuming aspect unless you are one of the first off the aircraft.

While you can have a brief wait at 'Passport Control', I would say 10 minutes would be the norm.

You then move to the baggage carousel where bags are usually starting to appear by the time the first passengers reach the area.

There is then only visual control for customs and unless you have something to declare or are selected for further inspection by the agents you pass, most passengers simply proceed through the green zone into the arrivals hall directly, with no wait at all.

I am a very frequent flyer and have not found Barcelona to have any major issues with non-Schengen international arrivals.

De-planing is certainly the most time consuming aspect unless you are one of the first off the aircraft.

While you can have a brief wait at 'Passport Control', I would say 10 minutes would be the norm.

You then move to the baggage carousel where bags are usually starting to appear by the time the first passengers reach the area.

There is then only visual control for customs and unless you have something to declare or are selected for further inspection by the agents you pass, most passengers simply proceed through the green zone into the arrivals hall directly, with no wait at all.

Thank you for the information!

We flew AA, JFK-BCN early last month.

We arrived at about 7:15 AM, and we were sitting 'up front', but the walk from the plane to 'Passport Control', perhaps 10 minutes (at least it seemed that far) was the longest delay. Passport Control was less than two minutes. Our luggage was already taken off the conveyer and lined up alongside, and then we walked through customs to the exit and our taxi.

gary

p.s. Next time we will taking the AeroBus into Barcelona.

We arrived at about 7:15 AM, and we were sitting 'up front', but the walk from the plane to 'Passport Control', perhaps 10 minutes (at least it seemed that far) was the longest delay. Passport Control was less than two minutes. Our luggage was already taken off the conveyer and lined up alongside, and then we walked through customs to the exit and our taxi.

gary

Gary,

I hope we have a similar experience. Thanks for the information.

gary

Why do you say you will take Aerobus next time? I am debating which option to choose.

• 5 months later...

Wondering if there are any recent cruisers that can share their experience going thru customs upon arrival at BCN?

I am arriving early morning (e.g. 9 am) and friends also arriving at the same time (so we are aware of at least 2 international flights landing with lots of people to process!).

In the past it has been pretty quick but I am now hearing it is not as good with waits of an hour or more? We are trying to arrange a car service pickup and wondering what time we might expect to be done with customs, then to baggage claim and arrivals hall...

Any info greatly appreciated - thanks :)

Edited by Froufie

We arrived in Barcelona from Rome last month, it was a flight within the EuroZone so there was no passport control but customs was just a matter of being waved through once we got our bags. We were out within about 20 minutes from the time we got to the gate

Non-EU passport holders do experience quite normal lines at the passport windows. As all long-haul flights have already reported, passport control is already aware of any possible passengers needing further inspection and the lines move very quickly.

These waits would on average be much less than at US and Canadian airports for non-citizens.

EU Passport holders have no wait at all as almost all are just allowed through after the quick passport scan.

Customs following baggage claim is normal EU standard with no forms and passengers just move through the green, "Nothing to declare" line or report to the red 'Something to Declare' line or move through the blue 'EU/Schengen arrival' line.

Rare random passengers can be selected for further screening and face a slight delay. Occasional controls are done by customs agents that simply ask the passenger 'Where did you arrive from" or can ask for you to produce your baggage claim check.

As a EU citizen, I am normally on transportation from the airport within 30 minutes of deplaning. When I have been accompanied by non-EU passengers they have maybe been about 15 minutes behind me.

We arrived Barcelona in the evening of 29 Sept from Singapore. Went thru passport control without much of a wait (Airbus A380). They opened extra lines and stamped the passports rsther quickly.

Baggage claim was also pretty fast and we walked out via green lane without being stopped. In all it took about just over 30 minutes from disembarkation to the taxi line. We got to the hotel all within 1 hour from leaving the plane.

I arrived at bcn yesterday at 1.30pm. No other flights were being processed at that time. Travelling on an Australian passport, so went through the "all passports" line. Only 2 officers working, but as I was one of the first through, I don't know if more were operating as more passengers lined up. Luggage was off very quickly, and a straight walk through the nothing to declare line. All in all a quick, painless procedure. If booking a car pickup, the drivers wait almost straight in front of the door you exit from customs. Signage indicates "driver waiting area". Process took no more than 20 minutes.

Wondering if there are any recent cruisers that can share their experience going thru customs upon arrival at BCN?

I am arriving early morning (e.g. 9 am) and friends also arriving at the same time (so we are aware of at least 2 international flights landing with lots of people to process!).

In the past it has been pretty quick but I am now hearing it is not as good with waits of an hour or more? We are trying to arrange a car service pickup and wondering what time we might expect to be done with customs, then to baggage claim and arrivals hall...

Any info greatly appreciated - thanks :)

End of June arrived about 9:30 AM and wait at passport control was at least 2 hours. Lines as far as you can see. Do not know how it is now. Good luck.

I am the person who started the thread and am happy to say that clearing customs was a breeze.

How does the carry on luggage work. Hope it is not torn apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do you mean your checked luggage? We had no difficulty and no damage. We carried our carry ons.