British “Cruise Pirate” before Dutch Court

Alphen

In Dutch newspapers today (translation by Google Translate);

A British woman has cheated the Rotterdam cruise company Holland America Line (HAL) for more than a 100.000 Euro. She made expensive cruises through Europe, but never paid.

Just before her fourth trip, from Venice to the Greek Piraeus, the police arrested her. The cruise pirate was extradited to the Netherlands and will appear in court next week.

The British made use of dozens of identities. The Prosecution doesn’t even know her current real name. The summons are in two names: Leah Abraham and Michelle Freeman.

Fake passports

The woman is around 53 years old and always booked cruises with stolen credit cards and fake passports. She enjoyed herself: in April 2014, she made a twenty-day tour from Rome. In the summer of that year she sailed eighteen days from Rome to Barcelona in March 2015 she enjoyed a trip between Barcelona and Istanbul.

She spent thousands of euros. Although owners of the stolen credit cards gave notice, they were difficult to detect. The woman also booked cruises from Singapore to Rotterdam and from Fort Lauderdale to Barcelona, but did not show up there.

In Dutch newspapers today (translation by Google Translate);

A British woman has cheated the Rotterdam cruise company Holland America Line (HAL) for more than a 100.000 Euro. She made expensive cruises through Europe, but never paid.

Just before her fourth trip, from Venice to the Greek Piraeus, the police arrested her. The cruise pirate was extradited to the Netherlands and will appear in court next week.

The British made use of dozens of identities. The Prosecution doesn’t even know her current real name. The summons are in two names: Leah Abraham and Michelle Freeman.

Fake passports

The woman is around 53 years old and always booked cruises with stolen credit cards and fake passports. She enjoyed herself: in April 2014, she made a twenty-day tour from Rome. In the summer of that year she sailed eighteen days from Rome to Barcelona in March 2015 she enjoyed a trip between Barcelona and Istanbul.

She spent thousands of euros. Although owners of the stolen credit cards gave notice, they were difficult to detect. The woman also booked cruises from Singapore to Rotterdam and from Fort Lauderdale to Barcelona, but did not show up there.

Thanks for posting that, Jeroen!

How did she do it.

They want payment months in advance surely if there's a problem with paying you don't board.

Why you want to know ? ;);)

I also would like to know how she got away with it. I wonder it she makes last minute bookings and then jumps aboard. But then how does she come up with passports to support another identity??? I hope there aren't many like her...

I am curious as well. Stolen credit cards are good usually for hours or days, not weeks or months. HAL must have very weak controls somewhere in their booking process or the facts presented are incorrect.

I had a the credit card for my cruise compromised the day before I got on the ship. When I got on the ship, the front desk was calling and leaving notes on our door. Impossible to take a cruise with a stolen CC.

I have done several Google searches using different combinations of words and can't find anything on this story other than the thread started on CC.

After yesterday, this might be an article from National Enquirer and Ted Cruz's mother being the pirate! ;)

I have done several Google searches using different combinations of words and can't find anything on this story other than the thread started on CC.

After yesterday, this might be an article from National Enquirer and Ted Cruz's mother being the pirate! ;)

There is more news in the world, outside the ones in US/English spoken media ;)

Here is the link to the Dutch news paper:

http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/2982/Op-cruise/article/detail/4294482/2016/05/04/Britse-cruisepiraat-genoot-van-gratis-overzeese-trips.dhtml

I had a the credit card for my cruise compromised the day before I got on the ship. When I got on the ship, the front desk was calling and leaving notes on our door. Impossible to take a cruise with a stolen CC.

Apparently not. ;)

The Dutch newspaper article says she used stolen credit cards and forged passports. Appears she had some shore-side help/resources

I remember Michelle she bought me a whole bunch of drinks last year, she was great!!