Uh-Oh, just broke my leg, cruising in 9 days....any tips.

candigirl

I never buy the insurance for a weekend cruise, so I am going...one way or another. There are no handicap cabins available, I didn't expect one, just had to ask. I was able to order a shower chair which will help. So far I am on crutches, with a brace, staying off of it and waiting for the swelling to go down. I may end up in a plaster cast, I'll know in a couple of days. I think I will be exhausted using those crutches as I am still recovering from a car accident in Jan. where I had a fractured wrist (2016 is not my friend). Cabin is aft, I'll try to get the rear dining room, but just thinking about all the walking I usually do wears me out. Serenity deck...here I come. Any advice or suggestions to make this manageable will be appreciated?

Park yourself on the Lido right between Guy's Burgers and the Blue Iguana. You will have all the best food, a great view of the stage for fun stuff, 2 excellent bars, and a front row seat for the sail away AND the deck party... :)

You can also contact the special needs department and have them wheelchair you on and off the ship. That will save you some crutch time.

See if you can get a wheelchair to take you down the ramp in Ensenada. There is a bar in the quad just off the ship where you can sit and imbibe. Not a bad place to hang out off the ship.

Good job on remaining positive.

Bob

What part of your leg? Ask your doctor if you could use a knee walker. It's an elevated scooter.

There is at least one scooter that will fit thru a standard cabin door. Needs to be stored in your cabin, not hallway. Needs to be ordered ahead of time and it'll be waiting in your cabin. The Disability Board can help you.

Ask for a wheelchair at embark and debark. At your muster station they'll take your name and cabin number for special needs muster.

If you want to go into town...There's a shuttle $2pp that'll take you into town. Take the shuttle back or grab a cab. The sidewalk on Ave Primera/Lopez is level with curb cutouts. The other sidewalks have potholes.

Edited by SadieN

Haven't been on Carnival so I can't help you with that part. Sorry that happened to you right before your cruise. Make use of the pain pills if they gave you any. :D Hope you have a good cruise.

Arrive at port around 12-12:30. Early crowds will be thru and those who put in a half day at work are just starting to trickle in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I broke my leg/ankle in February and sailed the Splendor in March, about a month after I did it. I was lucky in the break was low on the fibular (cracked a few inches above the ankle, and broke off the tip at the ankle), I ended up in an aircast instead of a plaster cast.

Be glad of the rear cabin. Mine was forward, and the ship was full so they could not do anything about switching me. It's quite the walk!

Get the wheelchair assistance for boarding in particular. You might wait for a wheelchair to become available in the port, but you can sit while doing so. They'll keep you from waiting in the long check-in lines. Also, special assistance gets to board at the beginning, so you can get on the ship and to get something to eat before it gets crowded and can't find a table.

On Splendor, the muster drill is out on deck, so I did the special needs muster station. They sat us in the library & dining room and have someone do the demonstration for you. They also release you before the other passengers and hold an elevator for you, it was much appreciated.

Not sure how much the shower seat will help, that shower is tiny! Your leg is going to be sticking out into the bathroom, so be ready for a wet floor in there. Be careful getting in/out and don't slip.

The comedy club generally has lines, if you ask they'll get you in first to get a seat. I wouldn't do this for multiple shows (to be fair to other passengers).

Sadly you'll still get people who cut you off to get on the elevator. Most people are good about it though. I did apologize to people on elevators if I was just going down one flight though *grin*

All in all it wasn't bad. I found taking naps was good, as you get tired walking a lot quicker then you did. Not that I needed any big reasons for that *sly smile*

There are new crutches now, that take much of the weight off your armpits....ask your doctor about them! Im not sure if they are available everywhere, but if you can get them, it should make your moving about much easier!

Good luck to you!

Who did you speak to at Carnival that said there were no handicap cabins?

You need to speak with the special needs department. I almost guarantee there is someone in an accessible or modified accessible cabin on your cruise who doesn't need it. They can move them and put you into that cabin. Sometimes you need to push a little.

Call back and ask to speak with someone in special needs and make it clear that the accessible cabin is necessary.

An accessible bathroom will be so much easier to deal with as you'll have a shower seat so you can wrap your cast in a garbage bag, sit down and have a decent shower. Plus, you'll have more space around the toilet so you won't bump your cast on the sink area or wall.

If you're travelling with someone able bodied, I'd recommend renting a collapsible wheelchair. You may not need it all of the time but it will be a saver when you have to wait anywhere or going distances.

Take frequent breaks if you're walking with the brace and crutches - there are chairs and couches everywhere.

Bring an empty sealable cup or sports bottle and a cross body bag. If you're walking with the crutches, you won't be able to carry anything in your hands safely so plan ahead.

Edited by meatloafsfan

Contact "Special needs at sea" and rent a wheelchair. Should be about 95$. It will be in your cabin upon arrival, and you just leave it in your cabin when you leave. Very nice to have, you might not need it every day, but it sure can help with all the walking.

Good luck, heal fast.

Who did you speak to at Carnival that said there were no handicap cabins?

You need to speak with the special needs department. I almost guarantee there is someone in an accessible or modified accessible cabin on your cruise who doesn't need it. They can move them and put you into that cabin. Sometimes you need to push a little.

Call back and ask to speak with someone in special needs and make it clear that the accessible cabin is necessary.

An accessible bathroom will be so much easier to deal with as you'll have a shower seat so you can wrap your cast in a garbage bag, sit down and have a decent shower. Plus, you'll have more space around the toilet so you won't bump your cast on the sink area or wall.

If you're travelling with someone able bodied, I'd recommend renting a collapsible wheelchair. You may not need it all of the time but it will be a saver when you have to wait anywhere or going distances.

Take frequent breaks if you're walking with the brace and crutches - there are chairs and couches everywhere.

Bring an empty sealable cup or sports bottle and a cross body bag. If you're walking with the crutches, you won't be able to carry anything in your hands safely so plan ahead.

I was wondering about a handicap cabin also. This close to sailing will not have one available for booking, but certainly there's one occupied by a non handicapped person that can be moved.

If the shower in your room is too difficult maybe check out the one in the gym?

I'm not sure what part of your leg you broke but if a knee scooter is a possibility get one of those.

What ship are you on?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Whatever you do, don't be a hero. I started my last cruise on crutches (just a sprained knee). It was exhausting. Get wheelchair assistance whenever it is offered (airport, embarkation, etc). Rent a wheelchair, even if you don't think you will use it all the time.

Take garbage bags and big rubber bands for showering.

With my broken arm I'd put the garbage bag on then 4 rubber bands spaced out going up the arm to keep it from flapping. At the top I'd put a rubber band that was tight enough to keep the water out even though, of course, I didn't put the bad arm under the shower spray. I took fairly quick showers so I didn't worry about the top band cutting off circulation. I did this with my arm but it will work for your leg.:)

^^^^THIS!

I'm booked in an accessible room, but don't require it (due to location and our group). I was told that I would be moved if someone needed the room (and I'm okay with it. I wouldn't come up and give you the stink eye if you took my room, which you won't be).

There are several "styles" to choose from - but I also think a knee scooter is the way to go, if it's ok with your doctor. I had an employee use one for several months - and she was very mobile without the pain and instability of crutches. She also went on a beach vacation!

Here is a link to some at Walmart - you an also just rent them!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/15423445?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227000624284&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40753246952&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78604746872&veh=sem

Edited by happy cruzin

My adult son has broken his fibula and we cruise the end of May so Im reading this with great interest. He does have a knee scooter but I think I will go ahead and rent a wheelchair just in case. The cruise it to Alaska and now Im wondering if he will even get his long pants to fit over the cast. Thanks everyone for the suggestions and good luck to the OP

I fell down stairs 4 days before my cruise, the orthopedist said I couldn't stand or put my foot to the ground and when I told him I was flying to San Juan in4 days he had a fit. I rented a wheelchair from the local supply in San Antonio and we bought crutches from HEB for in the cabin. The airlines were terrific and we had a blast on the ship. I had a boot on my leg and foot then had a CT scan after I got home, that is when I got the bad news I had to have surgery as the foot was badly damaged. Getting better was a long process took me 12 months to be able to walk properly. but no problem cruising!!! I wore a boot under my formal on Elegant night and then later special tennis shoes, unfortunately I have a foot full of pins and screws and a plate but it doesn't stop me cruising. Carnival has been great, they will look after you, so go and enjoy your cruise, just be careful not to fall.:)

Edited by jst

So far I am on crutches, with a brace, staying off of it and waiting for the swelling to go down. I may end up in a plaster cast, I'll know in a couple of days.

If they end up putting a cast on, do not get a plaster cast. They have cast made of fiberglass. With the fiberglass cast you can get a waterproof cast liner (the ones we use in my office are called Gore-tex liners). With the waterproof liners you can shower and even go swimming without any problems. I stinks to have a cast on vacation, but at least you'd be able to enjoy the pool and the fiberglass casts come in different colors too. Good luck!

Edited by nina_930

I agree that you should rent a wheelchair. It will help you get around the ship and also you have your own wheelchair to use in ports. You should look into renting a transport chair. This is lighter weight than a regular wheelchair.