Interesting read about RCI's most loyal cruiser ...

I'm guessing this article may have circulated among the Cruise Critic community already. If you haven't had a chance to read it yet, it's a very interesting read. Enjoy!

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/tourism/fl-royal-caribbean-avid-cruiser-20160429-story.html

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the post and link. Say, maybe you can help, how do you go about including a link in a post. Thanks.

Copy and paste the link from your web browser. From an iPhone, it's easier to use the text function and copy the link from the text.

Copy and paste the link from your web browser. From an iPhone, it's easier to use the text function and copy the link from the text.

Does not work for me. Tried in the past bur when you click on the pasted link it does nothing.

I remember talking to a friend many years ago who was an older lady who cruised all the time. She said she had priced it out and it was going to be cheaper to "retire" on a cruise ship than at an expensive retirement community. She said she knew someone who had done this, was in her mid-80s, in relative good health and she cruised all year on ships most of the time out of the same general port area. When she wanted to visit her children and grandchildren, she switched ports, had a visit, and then was off again. I think she would even "host" family holidays on ships.

My friend said that the woman had negotiated a price for the year, and got a really good discount for year round cruising. And it seems to make sense, no mortgage, upkeep of a home, sitting in one place waiting for your family to come to you, you have access to a doctor, and basically, a staff. My friend said that her friend loved all the shows, the people watching, being involved in all the activity and felt it kept her healthy and mentally engaged and together. It sounds intriguing at the very least.

That's really not that much if you had no other expenses. But most of us still have taxes to pay on a house, a car, insurance, etc. Still something I'd like to try for a few months. I think the DH would get restless but not me.

You could have 2 sets of clothes, switch out weekly from the cleaners, get your mail, fit in a dentist appt on turn around day. I think it would be harder in Europe to do. I've always wondered if he did inside cabins. I am sure he will be happier with the new internet speed.

Yes, it's cheaper than a nursing home. LOL

I doubt someone qualifying for the level of care to live in a SNF could live on a cruise ship. Yes, there is someone to cook for you, clean your room everyday and provide your entertainment but you need to be pretty independent to live on a ship versus a SNF.

Whilst the idea of retiring on a cruise ship sound wonderful, an article on the Snopes website points out a number of drawbacks:

...Golden agers who decide to make their permanent homes on cruise ships sacrifice proximity to family and friends; their nearest and dearest are no longer just a short car ride away. Those devoted to their children and grandchildren might well deem that too high a price to pay, no matter what the spreadsheet says about the relative financial costs. Likewise, those who lack progeny but who are involved in their communities or who are part of a number of strong friendships may not want to opt for the vagabond life, because it would mean abandoning that which gives them joy.

Also, life on a cruise ship means one acquaintance after another, but no permanent ongoing connections of any depth. Fellow passengers disembark to return to their regular lives at the termination of their one- or two-week holidays, which means friendships struck up with them land in the "We'll keep in touch" bin very quickly. As for staff, while serial cruisers can strike up deeply affable relationships with some of the line's employees, these rapports are inherently limited by their very nature: no matter how close such associations appear to be, ships' employees are required to be deferential to paying passengers, so the friendship-critical element of honesty can never be part of such dealings. Making a cruise ship one's permanent address, therefore, will not be for everyone. While those at ease with a steady diet of the superficial will thrive, those who require the comfort of at least a few real friendships will likely feel lonely even though they live among crowds.

I would love to do this if our jobs would allow it. But maybe the PowerBall will come in for us this weekend and we won't have to worry about that. [emoji12]

Great story. Thanks for sharing the link.

I remember talking to a friend many years ago who was an older lady who cruised all the time. She said she had priced it out and it was going to be cheaper to "retire" on a cruise ship than at an expensive retirement community. She said she knew someone who had done this, was in her mid-80s, in relative good health and she cruised all year on ships most of the time out of the same general port area. When she wanted to visit her children and grandchildren, she switched ports, had a visit, and then was off again. I think she would even "host" family holidays on ships.

My friend said that the woman had negotiated a price for the year, and got a really good discount for year round cruising. And it seems to make sense, no mortgage, upkeep of a home, sitting in one place waiting for your family to come to you, you have access to a doctor, and basically, a staff. My friend said that her friend loved all the shows, the people watching, being involved in all the activity and felt it kept her healthy and mentally engaged and together. It sounds intriguing at the very least.

If you have a mortgage in your mid 80's you have planned horribly wrong!

I was referring to the costs of living in a retirement community that many older folks feel compelled to buy into. My in-laws lived mortgage free for many years before selling their house and moving into one such place. It's great, but they bought a condo/duplex and pay quite a bit for condo fees and, yes, the mortgage or whatever it's called when you buy into a retirement community with a continuum of care. As their needs increase and they move along this continuum of care, they have to increase their costs as they go from independent living to more assisted living and beyond. It's quite expensive, and fortunately they are pretty well off, but still. Cruising sounds much more cost effective, not to mention fun.

Nope, not for me. I want be able to go to the mall, stop at Starbucks, and eat my own cooking. I wouldn't trade my pets for any long term cruise. Honestly, I get really tired of cruise food after a couple of weeks, I can't imagine doing it all the time.

Not quite the same thing, but I have a friend who's parents are retired and only own a motor home. No house. They travel the country...never staying in one place for very long. I told him that it must be nice for his parents to have the flexibility to visit them/grandkids any time. He said it's just the opposite...their social calendar is completely full. Every weekend is a different city for a different event/festival/visit with friends.

I actually am the Association Director for the Seven Seas Cruising Association (SSCA), a 64 year old association of people who cruise (or aspire to) on their own boats. Many have no other home and live full time on their boats while some live part of the year on their boat and have another home (or RV) on land. While some just run up and down the ICW or down to the Caribbean, we do have many who cross the oceans and some who have circumnavigated. It is a very interesting lifestyle and I live vicariously through their travels though I know I could not survive for long on a 42 foot sailboat (average size and type of vessel).

If you have a mortgage in your mid 80's you have planned horribly wrong!

Or you're a military family that spent 30+ years transferring around at the whim of the government...

We won't be in that situation but having just bought our "retirement" home at age 44 with a 30 year mortgage as my spouse intends to leave the service after this tour, we're facing a reality not so far off from that. No complaints, it's been a helluva a ride, but one factor we didn't consider when we were younger and made the choice to go the full career in a service where moving every 2-3 years was our reality was how hard it would be to get equity and pay off a home at the same age/pace as our civilian peers.

Edited by gnocchi_mommy