Reasonable Hotel In San Juan - March 2017

F27TW

So, before this gets "moved" by the mods to the bowels of the C-C forum areas that no one reads, I'm asking here ..

March 2017, we are on Jewel Of The Seas .. flying in 2 days early .. I know its high season .. but are there any hotels that anyone can recommend that wont cost us as much as the cruise for those 2 nights!?!

Thanks for any help !!

We like to stay in the Condado area. It seems safe and plenty of places to walk to for something to eat and a nearby Walgreens. We use points and stay at the Marriott LA Concha, but it would be pricey if I HD to pay for it. Do you have points you can use? Enjoy. We sail on the Adventure in January.

We have used the Courtyard Marriott in the Miramar area several times. It's not on the beach, but it's a very well kept property with an on site restaurant, not far from the port. We use Marriott points, so get it free for 25K points.

If you check the San Juan forum, you can probably get a good idea of the types of bids you can make with Priceline if you're into that.

So, before this gets "moved" by the mods to the bowels of the C-C forum areas that no one reads, I'm asking here ..

March 2017, we are on Jewel Of The Seas .. flying in 2 days early .. I know its high season .. but are there any hotels that anyone can recommend that wont cost us as much as the cruise for those 2 nights!?!

Thanks for any help !!

Try this, it was ok for us, not in Old SJ, that was peak, thanksgiving week

HOTEL IN SAN JUAN:

Best Western Condado Palm Inn & Suites

55 Avenue Condado

San Juan, 00907-1708, PR

Cost: $240.67 per night inc all taxes and Full Breakfast (2 Queen Beds)

Edited by PompeySailor

There are some choices around $100/nt in OSJ, and some that don't have any minimum number of nights.

You get lots more choices with just a little more money, and/or more nights, and/or a bigger area.

We're staying 3 nights ahead of our Feb cruise, oceanfront studio condo (not shared) in Isla verde for 165/nt.

That leaves us 1 day to explore OSJ (by taxi, bus or cheap rental) and 1 day for the beach/surrounding area. :)

There are some choices around $100/nt in OSJ, and some that don't have any minimum number of nights.

You get lots more choices with just a little more money, and/or more nights, and/or a bigger area.

We're staying 3 nights ahead of our Feb cruise, oceanfront studio condo (not shared) in Isla verde for 165/nt.

That leaves us 1 day to explore OSJ (by taxi, bus or cheap rental) and 1 day for the beach/surrounding area. :)

Thanks for any help !!

Hotel Plaza Del Armas... google map it. 6 blocks from El Morro, 1 block to Barachinas, 5 blocks from the Old San Juan Pier, free trolley stop at the front door, 10 block walk to El Cristobal Fort. Normally very inexpensive, but also an old building with really small rooms (some with no windows) and almost nothing for amenities. Great little hotel to site see from.

Try this, it was ok for us, not in Old SJ, that was peak, thanksgiving week

HOTEL IN SAN JUAN:

Best Western Condado Palm Inn & Suites

55 Avenue Condado

San Juan, 00907-1708, PR

We are booked to stay at the Best Western in June. Can you give a mini review? How were the rooms, walking distance to the beach, is there a coffee cafe within walking distance. How was the pool area? Did you take advantage of the bike rentals they have? Any details would help, so that I can share with my group. Thank you!

We are booked to stay at the Best Western in June. Can you give a mini review? How were the rooms, walking distance to the beach, is there a coffee cafe within walking distance. How was the pool area? Did you take advantage of the bike rentals they have? Any details would help, so that I can share with my group. Thank you!

Here you go, hope this helps:)

HOTEL IN SAN JUAN:

Best Western Condado Palm Inn & Suites, arrived just after 00:30am !!

We both got upgraded to the suites on floor 11 in the towers, where the rooms are huge. No additional cost $$$ nice start to the week

55 Avenue Condado

San Juan, 00907-1708, PR

imagejpg8_zpsd5d9f170.jpg

http://condadopalm-px.trvlclick.com/default-en.html?utm_source=TravelClickPPC&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Brand

Comments:

Breakfast Made Easy

Free Breakfast

Complimentary full breakfast

choice of breads, cereal, fruit, hot eggs, hot breakfast meats, juices and much needed coffee.

The MIL and FIL managed to get some black tea, so they were happy.

We got to hotel just after midnight so as long as we had a bed all were happy.

Rooms and hotel actually were very nice, we had researched well in advance and this was a reasonable option. Reviews online swayed it for DW.

We could of splashed out at a fancy hotel, what was the point, we would be there 10hrs tops.

Beach was within small walking distance

No Shuttle provided from hotel, as like most other hotels, it is taxi's

Walgreens across the street and a few restaurants within walking distance.

We did not use bikes.

Head northwest when exiting the airport. Make a slight right and take the ramp to Interstate PR-26. Keep left at the fork and merge onto Interstate PR-26. Keep on straight for about five miles then take the bypass to Condado Centro. Turn right onto Condado Avenue. The BEST WESTERN PLUS Condado Palm Inn & Suites will be on your right.

Distance: (6 miles approx 15 minutes from airport to hotel)

Cost $23+ $1 per luggage item and of course tip

imagejpg1_zps9ab09524.jpg

Hotel to Pan American Pier

Distance: ( 2.3 miles approx 11 minutes)

Cost $12 + $1 per luggage item and tip) $22.00 total in tip

imagejpg1_zpsa1be6cb5.jpg

Thanks for any help !!

Reasonable on price and of a decent quality? Consider CasaBlanca

My Wife and I have been happy at the Caribe Hilton in the past. Got a pretty good rate through Hotwire and last time we did it. not sure if it's still the same, but at the time, based on the amenities listed on hotwire, you could pretty much guarantee the "4 star hotel in San Juan" that hotwire offered was the Caribe Hilton.

They have a decent beach area and nice pool. Food's a bit expensive but they had good happy hour deals. Apparently the Pina Colada was invented here (and you do pay for the privilege of drinking one here).

There's a Starbucks in the lobby and a Subway across the street if you want to stay on the cheap. There's also a large oceanfront park next door that we enjoyed walking around.

Here you go, hope this helps:)

HOTEL IN SAN JUAN:

Best Western Condado Palm Inn & Suites, arrived just after 00:30am !!

We both got upgraded to the suites on floor 11 in the towers, where the rooms are huge. No additional cost $$$ nice start to the week

55 Avenue Condado

San Juan, 00907-1708, PR

imagejpg8_zpsd5d9f170.jpg

http://condadopalm-px.trvlclick.com/default-en.html?utm_source=TravelClickPPC&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Brand

Comments:

Breakfast Made Easy

Free Breakfast

Complimentary full breakfast

choice of breads, cereal, fruit, hot eggs, hot breakfast meats, juices and much needed coffee.

The MIL and FIL managed to get some black tea, so they were happy.

We got to hotel just after midnight so as long as we had a bed all were happy.

Rooms and hotel actually were very nice, we had researched well in advance and this was a reasonable option. Reviews online swayed it for DW.

We could of splashed out at a fancy hotel, what was the point, we would be there 10hrs tops.

Beach was within small walking distance

No Shuttle provided from hotel, as like most other hotels, it is taxi's

Walgreens across the street and a few restaurants within walking distance.

We did not use bikes.

Head northwest when exiting the airport. Make a slight right and take the ramp to Interstate PR-26. Keep left at the fork and merge onto Interstate PR-26. Keep on straight for about five miles then take the bypass to Condado Centro. Turn right onto Condado Avenue. The BEST WESTERN PLUS Condado Palm Inn & Suites will be on your right.

Distance: (6 miles approx 15 minutes from airport to hotel)

Cost $23+ $1 per luggage item and of course tip

imagejpg1_zps9ab09524.jpg

Hotel to Pan American Pier

Distance: ( 2.3 miles approx 11 minutes)

Cost $12 + $1 per luggage item and tip) $22.00 total in tip

imagejpg1_zpsa1be6cb5.jpg

Thank you so much. We too will be arriving after midnight, however we are staying 3 nights, (thanks Best Western Points). The breakfast sounds perfect for our group.

We have used the Courtyard Marriott in the Miramar area several times. It's not on the beach, but it's a very well kept property with an on site restaurant, not far from the port. We use Marriott points, so get it free for 25K points.

Bob, thank for that update on the Courtyard Miramir - have not stayed there but am booked of Jan 2017 also used points 25K - I saw that when booking there was "A mandatory 9 percent resort fee will be charged daily in addition to the room rate" QUESTION: was there an additional charge, if so do you remember how much?

Still not a bad deal though as it appears during that Jan-Feb season most rooms are in the $250+ range

Also that Hyatt House looks pretty new and i found a decent rate on it still around $200 though.

Thanks - jimmyZwei

Thanks for any help !!

I actually spend more time on the ports forum than on this one, but that is just me. Anyway, to answer your question, we liked Tres Palmas B&B between Condado and Isles Verde. Nice residential area, but not a lot of restaurants in walking distance. Nice place to stay, though.

To be in the heart of OSJ the Sheraton was great. A lot to do in the area, too.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

Thank you so much. We too will be arriving after midnight, however we are staying 3 nights, (thanks Best Western Points). The breakfast sounds perfect for our group.

One thing that I always recommend to people who will arrive at a hotel after midnight: BE SURE THE HOTEL KNOWS YOU WILL BE A LATE ARRIVAL!!! Do not just assume the room will be held, even if the rate says it is guaranteed. Depending on the night audit procedures of a hotel, you may be noted as a Did Not Arrive anytime after midnight before the audit is started.

Either email, call, or note in the Comments/Additional information when you make the reservation, that you will be arriving after midnight.

Also, this is probably a known, but: be sure you have booked for the correct night. I've had some people mistakenly do this - they are arriving at 1am Sunday morning and actually book Sunday, not Saturday!! Not a pleasant scenario in a busy hotel where there may not be an available room!!!

One thing that I always recommend to people who will arrive at a hotel after midnight: BE SURE THE HOTEL KNOWS YOU WILL BE A LATE ARRIVAL!!! Do not just assume the room will be held, even if the rate says it is guaranteed. Depending on the night audit procedures of a hotel, you may be noted as a Did Not Arrive anytime after midnight before the audit is started.

Either email, call, or note in the Comments/Additional information when you make the reservation, that you will be arriving after midnight.

Also, this is probably a known, but: be sure you have booked for the correct night. I've had some people mistakenly do this - they are arriving at 1am Sunday morning and actually book Sunday, not Saturday!! Not a pleasant scenario in a busy hotel where there may not be an available room!!!

Since we are dealing with a sales rep at the hotel (I had to book a group of rooms) trust and believe, the hotel knows we will be arriving after midnight. I deal with this daily when I book my attorney's international hotel rooms. :D Great advice for newbies!!

Since we are dealing with a sales rep at the hotel (I had to book a group of rooms) trust and believe, the hotel knows we will be arriving after midnight. I deal with this daily when I book my attorney's international hotel rooms. :D Great advice for newbies!!

Related to keeping an eye on your reservations: I had an unfortunate issue with 2 older couples who showed up at my hotel this week. They had booked with a major travel package company for flights and hotels for a trip to some National Parks. They showed up at the hotel - I looked for their reservations and found they had been cancelled back in February!!!! The company (one that does "pleasant" holidays for people) did not pay the required advance deposit, so the hotel cancelled the reservations. The company never told the couples nor tried to fix it. It took an hour of nagging between us, the couples and the company to get the money out of the company. Fortunately, we had 2 rooms available for the couples. Goes to show, NEVER assume your booking is still going to be there if you are relying on a third party provider!!!

Related to keeping an eye on your reservations: I had an unfortunate issue with 2 older couples who showed up at my hotel this week. They had booked with a major travel package company for flights and hotels for a trip to some National Parks. They showed up at the hotel - I looked for their reservations and found they had been cancelled back in February!!!! The company (one that does "pleasant" holidays for people) did not pay the required advance deposit, so the hotel cancelled the reservations. The company never told the couples nor tried to fix it. It took an hour of nagging between us, the couples and the company to get the money out of the company. Fortunately, we had 2 rooms available for the couples. Goes to show, NEVER assume your booking is still going to be there if you are relying on a third party provider!!!

More great advice. Shame on the travel package company. This is why I'm pretty hands on and once I call and make my reservations, especially with a group, I have an email follow up to confirm. If there was an issue (which have been few), I whip the email out . . . works every time!

Thanks for any help !!

We stayed at the Intercontinental in Isle Verde last Oct. It was very nice but totally not worth the the high price. We plan to stay at Embassy suites in Isle Verde this Oct., for a lot less with a cocktail hour and breakfast included. We are fine with walking across the street to the beach. Since we are only in SJ for one night, we didn't want to pay a lot. The hotels and resort fees are very expensive in SJ!

We stayed at the Intercontinental in Isle Verde last Oct. It was very nice but totally not worth the the high price. We plan to stay at Embassy suites in Isle Verde this Oct., for a lot less with a cocktail hour and breakfast included. We are fine with walking across the street to the beach. Since we are only in SJ for one night, we didn't want to pay a lot. The hotels and resort fees are very expensive in SJ!

We just booked the Embassy suites as well, but in Carolina? It's suppose to be in the Condado area? So many areas... I hope I booked the right one! Address is 8000 Tartac street?

Got a good rate on Expedia. $239 Canadian ( plus taxes)

We wanted to be close to the cruise port.

Edited by son3cruisers

We also booked the Embassy Suites for 2 nights before our April cruise.

We just booked the Embassy suites as well, but in Carolina? It's suppose to be in the Condado area? So many areas... I hope I booked the right one! Address is 8000 Tartac street?

Got a good rate on Expedia. $239 Canadian ( plus taxes)

We wanted to be close to the cruise port.

Yes that is THE one. Carolina is the municipality(?) Technically its in Isla Verde.