A word about Teppanyaki

We just got off the Star from a two week T/A cruise.

We had the Ultimate Dining Package which included 6 (ea) opportunities to dine in the specialty restaurants. We had only ever tried Le Bistro and Moderno before and I really wanted to try Teppanyaki. I am so glad we did because the food was AWESOME! Better beef than we had at Cagney's and the chef's were a delight. But what I want to say is (IMHO) your experience at Teppanyaki all depends on who else is dining there with you! Our first time there we had a lovely couple seated next to us and an (what I would call) "ugly American" couple next to them. The husband was three-sheets to the wind (thanks to the ultimate beverage package) and telling off-color jokes after about 2 minutes of sitting down and the wife was just one of those loud and obnoxious types. That being said it was a fine meal and we enjoyed the couple next to us.

With 6 opportunities to dine, you get to repeat one of the venues so we decided to go to Teppanyaki again (Le Bistro had no reservations left). This time I was seated next to single man (notice I didn't say gentleman). He too had one (or two) too many drinks and the entire dinner graced me with open mouthed belches, snorting, nose blowing and yes, he even farted. He was rude to the wait staff and I wouldn't be surprised if the chef purposely hit him in the face with flying egg. The food was wonderful again, but this guy really lowered my experience at the restaurant. I had thought about saying something to him but I figured at his age (late 50s?) he wouldn't have cared what I thought.

I wish there was a way to choose your dining companions there, but unless you're traveling with a group, I guess you're screwed.

YMMV

Our first time there we had a lovely couple seated next to us and an (what I would call) "ugly American" couple next to them. The husband was three-sheets to the wind (thanks to the ultimate beverage package)

Is that what he told you? Did he announce "I'm like this because of the UBP, otherwise I wouldn't have drank?" I'm guessing that you are making an assumption here based on nothing. Or did he tell you that he never would have paid for alcohol, and he is only drunk because of the UBP?

Thanks for your thoughts on Tep. Food is really good, isn't it?

Now, quick! Get back up on that ivory tower!

Really? You just had to get in that shot, huh?

To the OP: It's a shame, but true, that the behavior of other guests can ruin an otherwise great experience. We've experienced this, too.

I'm sorry for your experience. One of the reasons we began cruising with NCL is Freestyle Dining. On occasion, we have enjoyed sharing a table with fellow cruisers. On occasion, we have not. That is no longer an issue. We ask for a table for 2 in the MDR and only have to worry about the loud, drunk, obnoxious people at the next table. And so far, there hasn't been one. We'll be testing that in another 9 days but I am hopeful.

Your story made me laugh ... this is one reason I do not care for teppan restaurants. You have to sit with other people ... without a choice in who that is (unless you bring a full table's worth of people to dinner with you). There are times I enjoy dining with others, getting to know them, it's quite interesting. But since the majority of the time, it's a bunch of crazies, I spend all dinner banging my knee against my husband's knee while mind melding to him "omg, did we just hear/see that?". Our local teppan restaurants, you are in/out in 45 min. Can't imagine spending 2 hours (is it really that long??). But, if the food/entertainment is worth it, I am in :) I need some more stories to share.

We were a party of 11(5 were children from 6-11) so we had two tables facing each other along with another couple. It was in a back room on Breakaway. However, the two tables next to us had 6 young men acting very loud and shouting(actually screaming) and singing and the chef just added to it. I do not think they were with the other guests at their table. Once they left it was good; however, it was way over the top for anyone to endure. Enjoyed the restaurant and know that there is a chance of being with company acting inappropriately.

All other specialty dining places were great.

We had the Ultimate Dining Package which included 6 (ea) opportunities to dine in the specialty restaurants. We had only ever tried Le Bistro and Moderno before and I really wanted to try Teppanyaki. I am so glad we did because the food was AWESOME! Better beef than we had at Cagney's and the chef's were a delight. But what I want to say is (IMHO) your experience at Teppanyaki all depends on who else is dining there with you! Our first time there we had a lovely couple seated next to us and an (what I would call) "ugly American" couple next to them. The husband was three-sheets to the wind (thanks to the ultimate beverage package) and telling off-color jokes after about 2 minutes of sitting down and the wife was just one of those loud and obnoxious types. That being said it was a fine meal and we enjoyed the couple next to us.

With 6 opportunities to dine, you get to repeat one of the venues so we decided to go to Teppanyaki again (Le Bistro had no reservations left). This time I was seated next to single man (notice I didn't say gentleman). He too had one (or two) too many drinks and the entire dinner graced me with open mouthed belches, snorting, nose blowing and yes, he even farted. He was rude to the wait staff and I wouldn't be surprised if the chef purposely hit him in the face with flying egg. The food was wonderful again, but this guy really lowered my experience at the restaurant. I had thought about saying something to him but I figured at his age (late 50s?) he wouldn't have cared what I thought.

I wish there was a way to choose your dining companions there, but unless you're traveling with a group, I guess you're screwed.

YMMV

It definitely does have a lot to do with who else is at your table! I had UDP on my first NCL cruise and booked Teppanyaki for one of the evenings. I was traveling solo and they seated me at a table with a family of four (children were about 8 and 12 and I was next to the 12 year old) and a family of three who didn't talk to anyone else at the table. The family of four talked to each other almost exclusively though I did teach the 12-year-old how to eat edamame and the father and I had a very brief exchange. The other table had one seat open and was all adults who interacted with each other--they came in after us and I saw them introduce themselves to each other so it appeared they didn't know each other prior coming to the restaurant. They were having so much fun, and I was longing to be at their table. LOL. I have not trouble at all dining alone and usually do at the specialty restaurants. But, that's when I'm at a table for one. It's odd to be at a table with seven other people and be completely ignored. I usually eat when I dine alone, but obviously that doesn't work in Teppanyaki!;)

I've had similar experiences to yours at the Chef's Tables I've participated in. But, it's the risk you take when you dine with strangers and since it's only for one evening I try to consider it "entertainment." :D

I was solo on the Gem in August. I had a lovely group of fellow diners at Teppanyaki. Friendly, happy people, all enjoying the chef's antics and the food. I didn't realize how lucky I was! I hope my luck holds in November.

YMMV

We have yet to have as terrible an experience dining on cruise ships as you had. Still, every once in a while, not often, we do encounter such crudity. Unfortunately, I believe the proliferation of the unlimited booze packages is probably increasing the probability of this happening to any of us on future cruises.

We went to Teppanyaki on the Pearl and it was a nice experience. Our table companions were well mannered and interesting. The food was good but our chef went somewhat overboard with the comedy routine.

I would go again, but it's not at the top of my list. Sort of a been there, done that type of thing.

We have been to teppanyaki on land many times, so we don't do it on a cruise. I imagine that for a good portion of the teppanyaki diners, this is their first experience with a restaurant like this.

It's the same on land. Some people get really into the show, others sit there and just quietly eat the food. I do think the difference on the ship is that people probably do have a bit more to drink than they would on land. But that's the same for people's behaviour on ship all week.

We've typically had good dinners and companions. Thinking back the one that was the worse was eating on the Star with a family who had two small girls - like 2 and 3. They kept putting their food in their water glasses and stirring it around and then it would overflow onto the table. I wasn't disgusted by the site of the food but that the parents thought that that was appropriate to do.

The only other "off" one was on the BA. The chef must have been new and he was struggling. The egg trick - well most of those ended up on the floor.

It is a bit awkward sitting down with people you don't know and trying to strike up a conversation. On the Sun I sat next to a guy who was part of a group of grocers on the ship and we had a nice conversation. Thinking of our last trip on POA we went twice. The first group was the 4 of us and two couples. It was very quiet at first and then it lightened up a bit and the one guy it was his birthday so we sang to him and he got a cake. The other night it was us and another family with two boys around our kids age and it was a nice conversation. We'd see them other days around the ship and say hi so that is a benefit. I do agree that there is certainly a lot of salt (and garlic) in the meal but it has always been consistently good from ship to ship.

we just ate at Teppanyaki on the Jewel. Encountered no problems, just regular folks, kids here and there. Very loud, might want to bring earplugs. It probably is kind of a 'been there done that' thing, but the meats were really good, the lobster and calimari were excellent, both nicely grilled, with that slightly sweet taste that Andrew Zimmern always describes on his show when eating fresh seafood.

No one at our table got chicken. Why bother with chicken when you can eat that cheap meat any time?

Their hibachi sauce seemed kind of watery, but other than that, all good. Probably took maybe an hour total.