Princess Vs Celebrity in Alaska???

ACoupleAtSea

I cruise both Princess and Celebrity--- Itinerary first, cruise line and ship second. Several years ago, we were on the Sapphire, Vancouver to Whitier--

For first Alaska trip, we wanted to make sure we did Glacier Bay-so Princess had our business.

We are going to Alaska again next year, but on Celebrity Solstice. The itinerary includes Hubbard Glacier and a full day in Victoria- It also includes Sitka-- so this time we are giving Celebrity our business. I should say that we were considering the Coral Princess, but the deal breaker was: we were on the Coral end of Dec. for Panama Canal- we were deciding whether to book Alaska while we were on board--- when we were at indoor Lotus Pool area which is supposed to be an adult area (16 or over) a man was playing with a baby in diapers in the pool, and a couple of unsupervised young kids were running around the pool. Crew did nothing, when I politely complained- dh spoke to management and he could care less. The reason why that is a deal breaker for an Alaska cruise, is when we were on the Sapphire, we were in a hot tub watching the scenery which was fabulous, and want to do that again. The Celebrity Solstice has a similar area, and has a few hours a day available for family use. The rest of the time it is adults only.

What I don't like on Celebrity in general is not having self service washers and dryers-- we will be spending part of the day in Ketchikan at a laundramatt--- Celebrity balcony cabins are generally smaller than Princess- so pros and cons on both cruise lines--

Yes, I've done both...and honestly, the differences are small. There is another thread comparing the two lines but not Alaska.

We liked the cabin better on Princess, the pool set up better on Celebrity. The entertainment was generally better on Celebrity although there were a couple of excellent acts on Princess. Upcharges were more on Celebrity and more pushed. Tea is free and more casual on Princess, hoity-toity on Celebrity, but high upcharge. Staff--on Celebrity our stateroom hostess was super but our dining people were "blah," on Princess it was the reverse. Yes, Princess has the on board self service washers.

Truly, you can't go wrong with either line. If you have a significantly higher loyalty level on one or the other, that might make the difference. I'd choose on the basis of the ports and dates in terms of what works for your schedule.

The other rather worrisome thing--I've read that Celebrity has been shifting their food budget from the MDRs (which were very good a few years ago) to Blu. Again, my Celebrity experience was a few years ago, so tough to say.

There are alot of things to consider. We may even start to consider Holland America.

I would definitely consider Holland America. I have cruised to Alaska on all three lines you have mentioned. Holland America does Alaska the best. They were the first to go to Alaska and have been "grandfathered" in for many things. Simply put, Holland America is allowed to go to places and show you things in Alaska that the other cruise lines are not allowed to (for environmental concerns and other reasons).

Away from Alaska, Princess, Celebrity and Holland America are of similar quality, each with their strengths and weaknesses. In Alaska however, I would only cruise with Holland America.

I've been to Alaska 8 times. 4 times on Princess and twice on Celebrity (the other two on Norwegian). By far my most favorite itinerary was Star Princess Vancouver- Whittier. Was fantastic. This itinerary included Glacier Bay and the even more spectacular College Fjords. I felt like I died and went to heaven and this was my 8th cruise to Alaska.

I really think you can't beat Princess in Alaska. Most of the ships have indoor pools and lots of hot tubs- which are a great place to take in the Glaciers. I also love the Movies Under the Stars. Nothing like watching a big screen movie in the land of the midnight sun. Was fantastic.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Is ther any benefit to a roundtrip out of Vancouver over Seattle?

The Vancouver route goes instead of Vancouver Island [the "inside passage"] which is scenic and smoother. Most Seattle cruises go outside the island in the ocean [even though Princess still calls them "inside passage" routes]. Alaska cruises from Seattle have to call at Victoria, BC to satisfy PVSA [so this is one time that law is a good thing!]

Does anyone else wish that Princess would have one ship with an enclosed pool out or Seattle?

They used to! Last year was the first year that they did not, and of course we ended up having the wettest weather of any of my Alaskan cruises. It's one of the reasons I'm finally giving Holland America a try. I also really want to go to Sitka.

I should say that we were considering the Coral Princess, but the deal breaker was: we were on the Coral end of Dec. for Panama Canal- we were deciding whether to book Alaska while we were on board--- when we were at indoor Lotus Pool area which is supposed to be an adult area (16 or over) a man was playing with a baby in diapers in the pool, and a couple of unsupervised young kids were running around the pool. Crew did nothing, when I politely complained- dh spoke to management and he could care less. The reason why that is a deal breaker for an Alaska cruise, is when we were on the Sapphire, we were in a hot tub watching the scenery which was fabulous, and want to do that again.

There is no way I would have let this slide. Diapers are never allowed in the pool. It's against the rules - period. If the crew blew me off I would have escalated this immediately. I don't like to be a jerk but I can be if needed. Diapers do not belong in the pool. If the crew on deck blew me off I would take their names and then head to the customer service desk, the Captain's Circle host and anybody else I could think of. I also would (later obviously) send a written complaint to the customer service section of Princess.

I don't need somebody's kid's pee and fecal matter in the pool. It's specifically against the contract you make with Princess when booking a cruise. If staff are "afraid" to enforce this rule then they can be replaced with staff who will take their duties seriously.

They were the first to go to Alaska and have been "grandfathered" in for many things. Simply put, Holland America is allowed to go to places and show you things in Alaska that the other cruise lines are not allowed to (for environmental concerns and other reasons).

Can you give me an example?

The one thing I can think of is Glacier Bay and Princess can and does go there? Honestly, I think Princess does a great job in Alaska and they also are grandfathered in for Glacier Bay. They have huge enrichment programs and a naturalist on the cruise. Holland doesn't have a naturalist the last time I checked and they don't have the enrichment programs Princess does.

I like HAL. I just don't think they worse in Alaska.

Edited by Coral

I am pretty sure all of their ships do not have covered pools. I wish they did

The older ships do. Grand, Golden, Star, Coral, Island, Diamond and Sapphire do. The others do not. The Sun Class have a modified cover pool but it is very small and not fully enclosed - though nice.

If you read my post - I was agreeing with you. I think ALL of their ships SHOULD have covered pools. It is sad to me that they discontinued doing this. I wasn't saying all did.

Edited by Coral

As far as Vancouver or Seattle...

The Vancouver itineraries are usually better.

They usually sail the inside passage with calmer seas in and/or out of Vancouver.

Lots of advantages...

The ONE disadvantage???

On our one way from Whittier to Vancouver and then home to the U.S. This means leaving the US and entering Canada, and then flying home with the dreaded re-entering the U.S. thru Customs and TSA.

NOT something I am looking forward to.

Edited by Wishing on a star

I would definitely consider Holland America. I have cruised to Alaska on all three lines you have mentioned. Holland America does Alaska the best. They were the first to go to Alaska and have been "grandfathered" in for many things. Simply put, Holland America is allowed to go to places and show you things in Alaska that the other cruise lines are not allowed to (for environmental concerns and other reasons).

I'd heard that Princess and Holland were both grandfathered, the implication was that both could do things in Alaska that other lines couldn't with no significant difference between them. I'd be interested in knowing the differences.

I can assure you, both my dh and myself, again we were polite, complained to Princess customer service, etc. and said that for the reasons that I mentioned, we would not use the Coral for an Alaska cruise. The Lotus Pool was the deal breaker on this ship. We found the food quite good, the layout of the ship just fine, etc. If we hadn't already been to Glacier Bay, perhaps we would have ignored the pool area and just go on the Coral again in any case. We also cruise on Celebrity; again pros and cons on both cruise lines-- but for our situation, for next Alaska cruise, Celebrity will get our business-- so that we can once again enjoy sitting in a hot tub in enclosed area enjoying the Hubbard scenery, which I hope will be at least almost as nice as Glacier Bay. We haven't gone on HAL due to their smoking policy. I'm hoping that one day they will change their smoking policy to be similar to Princess and Celebrity.

I can assure you, both my dh and myself, again we were polite, complained to Princess customer service, etc. and said that for the reasons that I mentioned, we would not use the Coral for an Alaska cruise. The Lotus Pool was the deal breaker on this ship. We found the food quite good, the layout of the ship just fine, etc. If we hadn't already been to Glacier Bay, perhaps we would have ignored the pool area and just go on the Coral again in any case. We also cruise on Celebrity; again pros and cons on both cruise lines-- but for our situation, for next Alaska cruise, Celebrity will get our business-- so that we can once again enjoy sitting in a hot tub in enclosed area enjoying the Hubbard scenery, which I hope will be at least almost as nice as Glacier Bay. We haven't gone on HAL due to their smoking policy. I'm hoping that one day they will change their smoking policy to be similar to Princess and Celebrity.

You will absolutist love Hubbard Glacier:) It is the only glacier still growing and it is very noisy lol. Lot's of thunder during calving etc. You will not be disappointing!. For frequent Alaska cruisers it is a toss up between Hubbard and Glacier Bay. This is Hubbard https://www.google.ca/search?q=glacier+bay+access&rlz=1I7ACGW_en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjBkPz_5NXMAhVLw2MKHQouAnAQ_AUIBygB&biw=853&bih=397#tbm=isch&q=hubbard+glacier

HAL & Princess do not have to compete for the concessions to go to Glacier Bay. This is the current list of the other cruise lines that have bid on the concessions to go to Glacier Bay.

Norwegian Cruiselines

Carnival Cruise Lines

Crystal Cruises

The other cruise lines that go to Alaska and visi other areas have great tours, lodges, triains etc to make it well worth while. In Alaska, itinerary is king and cruise line second.