Transatlantic Pros and Cons

Looking for info on Transatlantic sailings. This will be my first TA and I'll be traveling solo.

I'm currently working and this will utilize a large portion of my vacation. I'll also need to obtain approval although I don't foresee any concerns.

What are the pros and cons of a TA sailing?

In your opinion is it a better option to take 2 separate vacations as opposed to one long vacation?

The cruise price is good. Any idea about one way airfare? I tried to do a fake reservation and the one way fare was $2500.:eek:

Sailing - Brillance 2017 Westbound. Also the sailing coincides with my birthday.:)

Thanks

Pros: lots of sea days, less expensive per day than many other itineraries.

Cons: lots of sea days, constant motion, one-way airfare can be expensive.

Edited by clarea

TA's for me are the ultimate chill vacation. Lot's of ship time for reading, napping, games - whatever.

As far as airfare goes it is way too early to check airfare for 2017 but one way from MIA to BCN Nov 2016 I can find as cheap as $374.

Try /www.skyscanner.com

Squeeze as much time off as you can so you arrive in BCN at least the day before sailing.

Edited by CapeCodCruiser

Agree with all of the above comments. Found TA's are great for making new friends and also lots going off during the day, if you are interested. Found several scheduled activities plus passengers making their own small groups. Met a delightful group of ladies that met each morning for coffee and knitting/crocheting/needlework. One passenger had posted on the meeting board by guest services for passengers with any interest. Suggest checking there.

Also a great trip for rest and relaxation. Last one I did was in November and saw lots of people addressing Christmas cards!

Pros: I get a ton of reading done; progressive trivia every sea day; lots of time to get to know your table mates and make new friends; sometimes TAs stop at ports that are not on the usual itineraries (for example, I went to the Faroe Islands); plenty of time to try all the activities and specialty restaurants you've been meaning to try; and the price per day is usually terrific.

Cons: possibility of rough seas, at least in the fall on the Northern itineraries; it can be a long trip if you don't like your table mates.

As for airfare, since American Airlines allows for one-way trips using frequent flyer miles (at half the miles of the round-trip itinerary), that's what I do.

We are booked on our first TA this October and can't wait! We are Diamonds on RCI, plus we have cruised other lines, so we know that cruising is a good fit for us and we know that we love sea days. I would not recommend someone to book a TA if they have never cruised.

We are combining our TA with land time in Barcelona, so we will be able to enjoy this part of Europe at our leisure, something we often miss on a cruise when we have limited time in each port.

We got our airfare on Air2Sea for a great price, much lower than booking through other travel search engines. We paid $971 for two of us one way PHX to BCN. We plan to use points when we book our flight home from FLL on SWA.

We are also booked on our dream Italy and Greek Island cruise in October, 2017. Then we booked another TA for the return back to the states. We plan to spend a total of 10 days in Europe prior to that TA before and after our 9 night Italy & Greece cruise. I am saving up the PTO and looking forward to only one really long flight each year.:)

We are booked on our first TA in October too, and although I'm really looking forward to it, I'm a little concerned about a rough crossing ( Southampton to Boston) and so many sea days. Also I'm wondering will we have sea legs when we get off after so many days at sea? It's all very new to us, but the itinerary was too good to miss.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Love TAs. However I wouldn't personally risk a northern Atlantic crossing. We've done Caribbean to the UK and had exceptional weather throughout in April and even sat by the pool in the English Channel. It's a very relaxing holiday.

As a single traveller it may give you more time to meet and get to know other passengers and the higher number of daytime activities might also help you meet new friends.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can't think of any cons about a TA, except that sometimes the cruise line breaks up those wonderful sea days with a port call. ;)

Seriously, we love sea days, particularly a bunch in a row -- it's when we can really relax, no schedule.

As for one-way airfares, United also lets you use FFM for one-way travel in an amount that is half of what would be needed for a round trip ticket, so that may be a possibility for some folks.

As for a northern crossing in the fall: we did that last fall -- the Anthem TA from Southampton to NY (sort of the Titanic route, but with a better outcome). It was definitely colder and rougher than the southern crossings we've had, but we still had a great time on that beautiful ship.

As for a northern crossing in the fall: we did that last fall -- the Anthem TA from Southampton to NY (sort of the Titanic route, but with a better outcome). It was definitely colder and rougher than the southern crossings we've had, but we still had a great time on that beautiful ship.

Love the Titanic reference as that's kind of the route I'll be taking too eek!

Hoping for a better outcome too!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm on my first TA right now. I have my 5 year old with me so I'm a semi-solo traveler but there is a large group of solo travelers on our ship.

They have ship sponsored solo luncheons and the solos managed to get a table together for dinner each night.

I'm having a great time relaxing and taking it easy.

I'm on my first TA right now. I have my 5 year old with me so I'm a semi-solo traveler but there is a large group of solo travelers on our ship.

They have ship sponsored solo luncheons and the solos managed to get a table together for dinner each night.

I'm having a great time relaxing and taking it easy.

Katie, do you know how many other children are on the cruise? Someone else was asking about taking their child on a TA.

Katie, do you know how many other children are on the cruise? Someone else was asking about taking their child on a TA.

I was going to ask same question. We are doing a transatlantic next April which also covers Easter holidays in the UK. We will,have a 14,year old with us. Not expecting hundreds of kids but as it covers the holidays (part of it) anyone know whether there will be any!!?? Thanks.

We have done 2 Transatlantic cruises. We travel with family and our neices and nephews have traveled both times. Ages at the time mid teens. Their parents got approval with their teachers first, but thay were just about the only teens on board. Not too many kids on TA's. On our last our grandson went with us. He was 14 months at the time. There were more children around his age.

We have only been on 2 TAs, so not an expert [both fall]. There were few children on either one [15-20]--mostly preschoolers.

The southern TA was far warmer than the northern route. We did not use the pools until 2 days before Boston on N. route. 1-2 rainy/rough days on each.

We have only been on 2 TAs, so not an expert [both fall]. There were few children on either one [15-20]--mostly preschoolers.

The southern TA was far warmer than the northern route. We did not use the pools until 2 days before Boston on N. route. 1-2 rainy/rough days on each.

We will be doing Barcelona to FLL TA's in late October in both 2016 & 2017. Should we pack warm clothes for those, or will typical Caribbean cruise clothing be ok?

Last one I did was in November and saw lots of people addressing Christmas cards!

This is a GREAT idea! We have 9 b2b sea days on our Harmony transatlantic the end of October. Adding Christmas cards to my packing list! I am so looking forward to those sea days!!

As there are so many retired and older people on TA's, I wonder why they say they love to relax and read, etc. I do that every day at home. Still seems like a lot of money just to go across the ocean and eat at a moments notice.. Originally we thought it was a good idea to do a TA due to the low cost, but it all adds up , especially when not many perks at all are offered and airfare has to be included, either getting to or coming home from Florida.. We just save up and do a few Caribbean cruises now in the winter.

We did our first TA in 2014 from Barcelona to FLL. We'd do it again in a second. The sea days (Roughly 9 days to cross) were the most relaxing we've had, and the people we met on board made it worth while. I'd rather spend the $475 for a 1 way plane ticket overseas followed by a 15 day vacation back, instead of a short trip near the US any day of the year.

A large PRO to our trip was that the drink package was included, so it felt like an All Inclusive cruise at that point. I'd imagine if you're a big drinker, 2 weeks at sea could add up.

You can visit ports and islands near the US and Caribbean any day of the year, I say go for the Transatlantic if you have the chance. Once in a lifetime opportunity. PS - We booked another TA in 2017 on the Independence :D.

My first Diamond member cruise was also my first transatlantic cruise back in October. 10 sea days out of a 15 night cruise was a great way to enjoy the Diamond benefits. There were 800 people who were D, D+, and P, so the entire lounge on deck 6 was turned into a Diamond lounge in the evenings. It worked out very nicely.

Air2Sea can offer great deals. I got a one way ticket from Cincinnati to Barcelona for only $491, and a one way ticket from Tampa to Cincinnati for $187. Check with them often to see what kinds of offers are available.

I enjoyed the transatlantic cruise so much that I'm looking forward to my next one aboard Liberty OTS next year.

We were on the Allure's inaugural TA last year with 12 nights from Fort Lauderdale to Barcelona and only 1 port being Malaga. Being such a big ship it was perfect to explore with the time given - and never crowded. Everyday was relaxing but busy. Not many kids. We love the sea days, and the weather and the seas in April were heavenly.

Definitely try to spend a few days in Barcelona and stay on Las Ramblas if you can. The Hotel Continental (aka The Pink Palace) is always a popular choice with CCs - it's a little quirky but great value and if you can, a balcony room overlooking Las Ramblas is a perfect place to sit with a wine and enjoy the entertainment. Then you have the Boqueira market place nearby to visit as well!! Love Barcelona...

Couldn't find any cons!