Royal Caribbean Dining Options

swisstime

Hi,

My assigned dining is late--8:30 pm. What time is the early dining? It's a 7 night cruise and for 2 days I'll have full day excursions and return to the ship by 6 pm. Can we choose 2 different dining times for the cruise or do we have to stick with one option? I'm aware that there is a My Time dining option, but are the two traditional (early or late) dining options better to go with? Is seating quicker and service better? Are they more formal?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

My assigned dining is late--8:30 pm. What time is the early dining? It's a 7 night cruise and for 2 days I'll have full day excursions and return to the ship by 6 pm. Can we choose 2 different dining times for the cruise or do we have to stick with one option? I'm aware that there is a My Time dining option, but are the two traditional (early or late) dining options better to go with? Is seating quicker and service better? Are they more formal?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to Cruise Critic Swisstime.

We always choose the 8:30 pm traditional dining time as we like to sit with others and the later slot allows enough time on late excursion days.

There is also the option of having dinner at either a specialty restaurant or the Windjammer Buffet which is perfect after a long day when you're tired.

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Depending on the ship, early dining is either 5:30pm or 6pm. Because you have traditional (fixed) dining, you are stuck at the same dining time. However, if you want more flexibility, you can try (assuming they have space) to switch to My Time Dining, were you can eat at a different time every night.

Thanks Jonathan for your reply.

For the late dining, what are the breakfast and lunch times? I have young kids and late dining won't work for us so I will need to look at other options. For early dining, what are the breakfast and lunch times?

Thanks again

For the late dining, what are the breakfast and lunch times? I have young kids and late dining won't work for us so I will need to look at other options. For early dining, what are the breakfast and lunch times?

Thanks again

The breakfast and lunch times are independent of your evening dining time. You can go to breakfast and lunch anytime those venues are open for breakfast and lunch.

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

no. if you have fixed seating your ONLY option is the time you are assigned. if you choose to not dine at that time, you must either hit the Buffet, the Promenade, a specialty venue or room service. Early dining is usually 5 or 530.

there is ZERO difference in service level between MTD and Traditional. that being said it can be a wait for a table during MTD especially for larger parties or during the most popular time( basically splitting the difference between early and late.. so the 6 pm hour) it is possible to make a reservation ahead of time to minimize that wait. we always pre book the first night only and then wing it the rest of the week.

Thanks again

As Clarea said, Breakfast and lunch are open at the same time to everyone. It is not a fixed time thing.

Having said that, after 12 cruises, I've only gone to the dining room for Breakfast or lunch maybe 1 or 2 times. There are dining options all over the ship for Breakfast and lunch. I'll usually either hit the buffet or one of the other options (deli, burger joint, pizza, etc.).

Thanks again

Breakfast and lunch have nothing to do with your dinner seating. the MDR is open a set time , open seating. they tend to schedule opening to coordinate with port times. the buffet is similar although it may open up a half hour earlier with limited cold options( pastries, etc)

If second sitting is 8.30, I'm guessing that first sitting will be 6pm, mebbe 6.30'

You choose one or the other before your cruise, you can't switch between the two.

The main shows are normally performed twice per evening, to tie in with the two sittings.

With traditional dining you have the same time, same table, same waiters, and importantly the same tablemates, each evening.

Never had a problem with speed of service. But folk generally don't rush - it's a very relaxed affair. You might occasionally have to forgo dessert if you're keen to get a good seat at a show after dinner.

Very very broadly, first sitting has a higher percentage of kids & elderly folk than second sitting.

With anytime dining you are likely to join a short line at the dining room door. Depending very much whether you go to dinner at a busy time, if you are happy to share the line moves rapidly, if you want a two-top it is likely to move slowly. You can pre-book, but that doesn't always work out as planned.

Once seated, we've never found any difference with the speed of service - that has more to do with circumstances on the night.

No difference in formality, menu, service, etc.

The big difference is table-mates.

With a good group of like-mindeds, traditional is perhaps better.

On anytime dining you'll have different table-mates each evening. Can be a bit of a drag, same-old introductions each evening & trying to remember names. But of course you meet a wider range of people. And if you hit it off particularly well with another couple you can meet up next evening and go to dinner as a foursome.

Remember you also have the option of dining in the buffet. More informal, of course, and speed of service is up to you. I find the buffet fine for a quick & easy breakfast or daytime snacks/lunch, but there's no sense of occasion. Handy if you're feeling lazy or unsociable or want a quickie dinner. If you're on a shared traditional table it's common courtesy to let your table-mates know if you won't be joining them.

Breakfast & lunch you can choose the dining room or buffet, your evening dining is irrelevant.

Breakfast & lunch in the dining room is "anytime" within the quoted hours, similar to anytime evening dining. On port days we choose the buffet for a quick breakfast, on sea days the dining room is much more civilised than the bun-fights in the buffet.

Just MHO as always.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

I am a new cruiser and I will be doing the late traditional sitting at 8:30 pm. Honestly, my dining times "in real life" tend to vary but I normally don't eat dinner at 5:30 pm. 7-9 pm is much more my style. If I recall, I think "My Time" dining was booked out as an option on my cruise. I will also be doing a long day in port where the late sitting will be convenient.

I'm pretty sure that I'll be ok with 8:30. If I need light snacking in the mid-late afternoon, I'm sure there are options. I will like not having to wait for dinner. I plan to fill the evenings before dinner with other things. Also, with a lot of people doing dinner earlier, I am thinking that the crowds will thin out around the pool, jacuzzi, etc, in the evenings which I will like.

I am a new cruiser and I will be doing the late traditional sitting at 8:30 pm. Honestly, my dining times "in real life" tend to vary but I normally don't eat dinner at 5:30 pm. 7-9 pm is much more my style. If I recall, I think "My Time" dining was booked out as an option on my cruise. I will also be doing a long day in port where the late sitting will be convenient.

I'm pretty sure that I'll be ok with 8:30. If I need light snacking in the mid-late afternoon, I'm sure there are options. I will like not having to wait for dinner. I plan to fill the evenings before dinner with other things. Also, with a lot of people doing dinner earlier, I am thinking that the crowds will thin out around the pool, jacuzzi, etc, in the evenings which I will like.

If you are still interested in switching to My Time dining, go to the MTD desk when you board. They may be able to switch you then.

If you are still interested in switching to My Time dining, go to the MTD desk when you board. They may be able to switch you then.

Thanks very much, I think I'll be able to work with this time but will keep that in mind. I honestly think I am neutral between MTD and late traditional. I could do early if I had to but it would actually be my last choice. (On this particular cruise that wouldn't work because I am doing a long island tour of historic/cultural sites on the port evening). Since it is usually very popular, that shouldn't be an issue.

• 2 weeks later...
Great advice, thank you. As a new cruiser, just want to clarify; if we have MTD, does that mean we can eat as late as 8:30 in the dining room, or is that only for those with a set time.

The hours that you can go to MTD will be posted on the ship, but certainly up to 8.30 & probably up to 9pm or 9.30. :)

JB :)

Does anyone have any experience with MTD and a large group. I have us set for the 5:30 but now I am rethinking it especially the days when we head off port. I hate to rush! We have a group of 10 and would like to sit together. Wonder if it will work?

Does anyone have any experience with MTD and a large group. I have us set for the 5:30 but now I am rethinking it especially the days when we head off port. I hate to rush! We have a group of 10 and would like to sit together. Wonder if it will work?

You might want to ask this on the RC forum, were there will be many more folks with experience with MTD see your question:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

Please realize the because you have a 5:30 dining time, that does not mean you will be eating at 5:30. You enter the dining room, find your table, sit and wait for your tablemates to arrive. You will be given menus, but typically your wait staff will wait for all to arrive before taking orders. It might be 20-30 minutes before you get your first course, and you might be finishing dessert/coffee an hour after that. You don't arrive, have your meal in front of you ten minutes later, and walk out ten minutes after that. EM