Power Board on Royal Princess

KandK2015

Hi, we are going on our first cruise on the Royal Princess to the Mediterranean in June.

As we are from Australia, we will need to have US and European adaptors with us and we are wondering if we should also bring a power board to charge all the various bits and pieces and if so should it have a surge protector on it.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Hi, we are going on our first cruise on the Royal Princess to the Mediterranean in June.

As we are from Australia, we will need to have US and European adaptors with us and we are wondering if we should also bring a power board to charge all the various bits and pieces and if so should it have a surge protector on it.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Bring your power strip, but be aware that it may not be allowed. I think Princess allows them, but sometimes each ship gets sticky. Surge protection is not required or useful onboard a ship, and can cause a fire hazard. Surge protection is the reason for the general tightening of cruise lines' policies on power strips.

Here is my latest thread on surge protection, with links to further threads. My posting history has many posts on the danger of surge protection onboard ships:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2347868

Hi KandK!

I started using a, what I call, multi-charger like this

http://smile.amazon.com/Alisten-Speed-Charger-Station-Adapter/dp/B01682FQ66/ref=sr_1_3?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1462893651&sr=1-3-spons&keywords=multi+charger&psc=1

Plugs are scarce in the rooms and this way I use one plug and can charge my variety of electronics (ipod, kindle and phone)

See you in 30 days :)

Royal has a 110v US plug pair and a European 220v outlet on the desk. The problem with the US plugs is they are very close together, so two power adapters generally can't be plugged in at the same time. We take a 1' long Y adapter to solve this problem. As treven says, avoid a surge protector since these don't work well with shipboard power and can overheat.

If you have a multiple USB power cube these are very useful - you can plug several devices into it while using only one outlet. Chargers don't have problems with the lousy power on a ship, and most can be plugged into either 110 or 220 with the right adapter.

• 2 weeks later...

At the risk of continuing to beat a dead horse, previous threads regarding the use of surge protectors have included statements that Princess does not ban surge protectors while other cruise lines do.

Princess does ban surge protectors, here's the link: https://book.princess.com/html/personalizer/downloads/pdf/Safety_Information.pdf

Read the paragraph on the top of page 3.

At the risk of continuing to beat a dead horse, previous threads regarding the use of surge protectors have included statements that Princess does not ban surge protectors while other cruise lines do.

Princess does ban surge protectors, here's the link: https://book.princess.com/html/personalizer/downloads/pdf/Safety_Information.pdf

Read the paragraph on the top of page 3.

That's pretty definitive to me.

• 1 month later...

Hi, can anyone tell me please what sort of shaver sockets (if any) are available in the bathrooms on Royal Princess, and what voltage they are? All my other devices (phone chargers, battery charges etc) will accept 110 or 220 volts, but my toothbrush charger requires 220V.

Thanks in advance...

Hi, can anyone tell me please what sort of shaver sockets (if any) are available in the bathrooms on Royal Princess, and what voltage they are? All my other devices (phone chargers, battery charges etc) will accept 110 or 220 volts, but my toothbrush charger requires 220V.

Thanks in advance...

The bathroom outlet is 110 and is labelled "for shavers only", however you can (& I do) plug in a night light or other low electricity user, such as toothbrushes - but apparently not yours.;)

Thanks in advance...

You might consider getting a toothbrush that is powered by regular AA or AAA batteries for travel away from your home country. It's easy to replace the batteries so you wouldn't run out of "juice".

The bathroom outlet is 110 and is labelled "for shavers only", however you can (& I do) plug in a night light or other low electricity user, such as toothbrushes - but apparently not yours.;)

OK, thanks for the heads-up. The toothbrush charger only draws a small amount of power, but as the voltage is out-of-range it probably won't work anyway. I see from previous posts that there's a 220V european socket by the desk, so I can use that instead. Just need to remember to bring both types of adaptor. :-)

I once posted that link here. A poster replied that if Princess were

really serious, they would have security remove surge protectors from

luggage. Since they don't, they weren't serious, and he would continue

to bring his.

Some of the posts I read here are simply amazing.

I also plug in my nite lite and electric toothbrush in the outlet in the bathroom.

In a pinch it works for just about any low draw devices like chargers for cell phones, tablets & cameras.

Actually, the bathroom outlet has both 110 and 230. The 110 is for North American type non-polarized plugs and the 230 is for mainland Europe type plugs.

890426%20061%2004.26.16%20Cabin%20E409%20bathroom%20electrical%20outlet%20DSC02564_zpspevmdrod.jpg