Merging loyalty programs

Galatz

We have countless threads going about budget cuts at Carnival. Many people who are platinum or diamond or maybe even close to it, don't want to cruise with a different line because they would lose these benefits.

If Carnival Corporation were to offer one loyalty program, they could maintain these guests who might go elsewhere and are willing to go elsewhere despite losing their status. Let's say Carnival's VIFP and Princess' Captains and all the other subsidiary programs were merged. If Carnival is no longer for you, but you kept your same status, you may be more inclined to use Princess than RCCL.

Granted not everyone cares about their status, but I am sure its a deciding factor for many people. If you are Diamond on Carnival and could transfer that to Princess, thats a lot more appealing than starting from 0 cruises on RCCL.

Insert the comments of this has been discussed before...

If you are Diamond or above on Royal and you sail with Celebrity, while you wont receive points, you WILL be recognized as Celebrity Elite.

Carnival doesnt have anything like that between their lines? :confused:

We have countless threads going about budget cuts at Carnival. Many people who are platinum or diamond or maybe even close to it, don't want to cruise with a different line because they would lose these benefits.

If Carnival Corporation were to offer one loyalty program, they could maintain these guests who might go elsewhere and are willing to go elsewhere despite losing their status. Let's say Carnival's VIFP and Princess' Captains and all the other subsidiary programs were merged. If Carnival is no longer for you, but you kept your same status, you may be more inclined to use Princess than RCCL.

Granted not everyone cares about their status, but I am sure its a deciding factor for many people. If you are Diamond on Carnival and could transfer that to Princess, thats a lot more appealing than starting from 0 cruises on RCCL.

Insert the comments of this has been discussed before...

Carnival id a bargain at best cruise line. The others have better perks for more money. Never happen!

If you are Diamond or above on Royal and you sail with Celebrity, while you wont receive points, you WILL be recognized as Celebrity Elite.

Way to many differences between the individual line programs. My understanding they looked at it about 6 years ago and quickly dismissed the idea.

Carnival id a bargain at best cruise line. The others have better perks for more money. Never happen!

Way to many differences between the individual line programs. My understanding they looked at it about 6 years ago and quickly dismissed the idea.

There are obviously big differences, but having different perks doesn't mean much, because when you take carnival you pay less and get less perks, then you sale princess and pay more but get more. Its not different than a Marriott reward program, they have different level hotels and you get more or less benefits depending on where you stay.

I just think about myself, if Carnival didn't work for me, but Princess took my rewards, I would be more likely to book on Princess then RCCL. Its all about keeping customers in one of your brands that might look elsewhere without this benefit.

There are obviously big differences, but having different perks doesn't mean much, because when you take carnival you pay less and get less perks, then you sale princess and pay more but get more. Its not different than a Marriott reward program, they have different level hotels and you get more or less benefits depending on where you stay.

I just think about myself, if Carnival didn't work for me, but Princess took my rewards, I would be more likely to book on Princess then RCCL. Its all about keeping customers in one of your brands that might look elsewhere without this benefit.

I agree, Carnival corp believes in that a particular line does not work for you, another under their umbrella will. The problem comes up from an existing client perspective. Each line has significantly different loyalty plans which I think would be very hard to level out as well as make new ways for equal attainment moving forward.

I agree, Carnival corp believes in that a particular line does not work for you, another under their umbrella will. The problem comes up from an existing client perspective. Each line has significantly different loyalty plans which I think would be very hard to level out as well as make new ways for equal attainment moving forward.

At some point they seriously considered some sort of combination between CCL, HA and Princess but it was shelved. Believe this was just over a year ago so who knows maybe one day;)

Having sailed CCL, HAL and RCCL - CCL has the least attractive loyalty program ... BUT the way I see it is that if CCL's ships are basically sailing full they don't feel any burning desire to up the rewards.

With the loyalty perks offered by HAL and RCCL the greater cost seems the be offset by the value of perks offered.

Example - on HAL if you book a Neptune Suite you get 3 free drinks per evening. At an average of $8 each that's $24 a night - for a 10 day cruise that's $240 each offset of fare plus the other perks that go with the suite.

On HAL most balconies have bath tub/shower combos but at CCL you have to book a suite to get a tub.

And no, we don't normally book based on what's cheapest. :) We book based on itinerary, departure port, and sailing dates adjusting cost by the type of cabin we choose.

As far as I know, the only reciprocation in the Carnival Corp fleet is that HAL will grant 1 Star status for any past Carnival Corp cruisers, not that it really means anything.

Although RCI and Celebrity have totally different perks, they managed to figure it out. The reciprocation is nice. I don't see why Carnival Corp couldn't do something similar other than they probably just don't want to.

And then there is MSC, which will recognize ANY cruise lines loyalty program!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that only a 1-time deal for your first MSC cruise?

We are Diamond on Carnival and just took our Milestone cruise in the Carib. We decided with that cruise that we need to check out some other lines as we have been to all but a few of the Caribbean destination.

We tend to cruise for the destination. So, we are looking at Royal for a Med /TA cruise combo in Oct/Nov 2017.

The Loyalty program has been a big factor with us staying with Carnival plus Carnival had been a great value. Although, prices have gone up since the economy has improved.

Anyway, it would be nice and to the advantage of other lines to consider ones status on other lines. John

Edited by JWGrayson

As far as I know, the only reciprocation in the Carnival Corp fleet is that HAL will grant 1 Star status for any past Carnival Corp cruisers, not that it really means anything.

Although RCI and Celebrity have totally different perks, they managed to figure it out. The reciprocation is nice. I don't see why Carnival Corp couldn't do something similar other than they probably just don't want to.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that only a 1-time deal for your first MSC cruise?

I don't know what one star is on HAL so I can't comment, but take your word it is no big deal. You are correct RCCL and Celebrity did work it out, were they very different in nature before they did? Certainly not rocket science for Carnival corp, probably more of who they would tick off by doing it against what ever return it would bring (and the complexity of it not being 2 but 5 or whatever the number of cruise lines they engaged with it).

I talked to a MSC BDM last week, and although I did not ask specifically, I got the def impression that was not a one time shot based upon the conversation (could be wrong...).

We are Diamond on Carnival and have done two cruises on Princess with two more scheduled that will bring us to platinum on our fifth cruise.

Would love to see this happen but Carnival doesnt seem to have any interest in doing this.

A difference

On Carnival you turn the level on a cruise you reach your days. If you hit 75 days your last day, you'll be Platinum for the cruise. On Princess it's completed cruises (or number of completed days). So you'll enjoy Platinum benefits on your 6th cruise or the next cruise after your completed days.

Edited by SadieN

A difference

On Carnival you turn the level on a cruise you reach your days. If you hit 75 days your last day, you'll be Platinum for the cruise. On Princess it's completed cruises (or number of completed days). So you'll enjoy Platinum benefits on your 6th cruise or the next cruise after your completed days.

Since we are taking longer cruises on Princess we pass 50 days on our fourth cruise so Platinum on 5th.

Some decent perks for this (some free internet minutes) but major benefits come after 200 days which will not happen for quite some time.

I don't know what one star is on HAL so I can't comment, but take your word it is no big deal. You are correct RCCL and Celebrity did work it out, were they very different in nature before they did?

Yeah, they were totally different. When the program was stood up, RCI was on a points system with 5 levels while Celebrity was still on the days system with 3 levels. They just made it an easy reciprocation, saying RCI Platinum and Celebrity Select equated, and RCI Diamond (or higher) and Celebrity Elite equated. I would imagine the hardest part was the IT piece...getting one system to talk to the other.

But that said, this was only between the 2 largest lines under the RCCL. It didn't include the small lines. It might be more difficult for Carnival Corp due to the existence of 3 major lines, and getting the IT piece to talk between all 3. At RCCL, RCI and Celebrity are headquartered together. HAL, Princess and CCL are all in different states, likely causing another barrier.

That is the nicest thing you have said about Carnival.

If they would start appreciated their customers more, and taking care of customer issues, than this would be a logical step, but as long as they are looking for ways to cut back, this would not happen.

I'm all for merging. It may even help pull in other guests from other lines knowing they have a larger choice of cruises to choose from Carnival to get a higher status quicker.

I only sail on Carnival, but recently have been looking around other lines. I really want a Princess cruise around Japan, but not thrilled at having to start back at 0. Even a 'past guest' discount for being on Carnival would be helpful.

I don't think it will ever fly - particularly because of the price people pay on Carnival compared to Princess or Cunard. Those loyalty members would see it as very unfair.

As somebody else mentioned, it would be fantastic and VERY doable to offer a past guest discount across the brands. That would probably keep me on Princess instead of going with RCCL or Celebrity if there was a similar itinerary.

I don't see it happening. People would sail carnival until they were at the level to get all the perks. Then switch to the higher priced lines. As it stands right now you have to pay the higher prices and sail those lines to earn the benefits. So there's nothing in it for Carnival, they'd be losing money by allowing people to earn loyalty rewards on Carnival and redeeming them on Princess. Carnival isn't going to do anything out of the goodness of their hearts.

Edited by poobears

I don't see it happening. People would sail carnival until they were at the level to get all the perks. Then switch to the higher priced lines. As it stands right now you have to pay the higher prices and sail those lines to earn the benefits. So there's nothing in it for Carnival, they'd be losing money by allowing people to earn loyalty rewards on Carnival and redeeming them on Princess. Carnival isn't going to do anything out of the goodness of their hearts.

You honestly think someone will sail 75 days on Carnival, just to get perks on a different line? That is 2.5 months of time spent on a cruise line just to get perks. I cannot see the happening. I would not waste that much of my time and money just to save a bit and get perks.

If however someone was diamond on Carnival and was debating between a similar Princess or RCCL cruise, that has similar pricing and itineraries, could seeing maintaining their status as the deciding factor.

Like I said before, hotel brands have figured out a good way to make this work, so can cruise lines.