Considering Royal Princess -- Some questions

elycelynne

Specifically, the 10-day Eastern Caribbean itinerary for next January or February. Do the balconies on Royal Princess have varying degrees of coverage according to deck (like on other Princess ships), or is the sun/shade ratio pretty uniform throughout? And what's the difference between regular balcony and deluxe balcony cabins (besides the approximately 10 square feet)?

Also, how are the beds? I know that Princess is in the process of rolling out their new beds across the fleet and was just wondering if the ones already onboard the Royal were fairly comfortable. If they're not, do they provide egg-crate mattress toppers?

As far as room service breakfast goes, I know that hot food items are offered only to passengers in suites. Can special requests for hot items be be written in on the regular breakfast room service card, or will those not be honored?

Finally, if I decided to stay onboard the ship during a port day, do they still have a decent amount of activities going on, or are they pretty much nonexistent (like on Holland America, which is the only line I've sailed in the recent past)?

Specifically, the 10-day Eastern Caribbean itinerary for next January or February. Do the balconies on Royal Princess have varying degrees of coverage according to deck (like on other Princess ships), or is the sun/shade ratio pretty uniform throughout? And what's the difference between regular balcony and deluxe balcony cabins (besides the approximately 10 square feet)?

Also, how are the beds? I know that Princess is in the process of rolling out their new beds across the fleet and was just wondering if the ones already onboard the Royal were fairly comfortable. If they're not, do they provide egg-crate mattress toppers?

As far as room service breakfast goes, I know that hot food items are offered only to passengers in suites. Can special requests for hot items be be written in on the regular breakfast room service card, or will those not be honored?

Finally, if I decided to stay onboard the ship during a port day, do they still have a decent amount of activities going on, or are they pretty much nonexistent (like on Holland America, which is the only line I've sailed in the recent past)?

We did this itinerary in March this year.

The only tiered decking is at the aft. All other balconies on the port and starboard are equally covered. There are a few wrap around and large open balconies at the bow on the upper decks.

I believe deluxe balconies have a sofa bed. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

The Royal did not have the new beds in March. I would rate what they had as okay. Firmish, decent but nothing to write home about. Not sure if they provide the toppers.

I'm sorry but I can't answer your other questions.

Edited by Nezmo

Balconies for almost all cabins classified as balcony, deluxe balcony and mini suites are approximately 9'x4' and covered. They do not have varying amounts of coverage like other Princess ships. There are a few cabins which have larger balconies. These can be seen by exploring the deck plans.

A deluxe balcony has a two seat sofa with a slightly larger interior.

We were on board for 34 days this past winter and the beds were fine. I don't know if they have egg crates available, but we did not require one.

No experience here, always ate a light breakfast while sitting on the Horizon Terrace.

There was trivia at least twice a day on port days as well as some other activities in the Piazza. We stayed on board many days, and there always seemed to be something to do if you wanted. Don't have any idea what HAL does specifically on port days, but in general from our few cruises on HAL we found way less activities than Princess.

/quote]

See above

We were on the Royal for 3 weeks in February & March. Beds were fine for us.

There are a few activities on port days, but not too many. Movie at about 1pm. Trivia about 11am. I am sure there were others, but I don't recall.

Most of the food items on the room service breakfast menu are cold.

You can get an egg muffin sandwich, which should be warm.

We have had success ordering bacon.

Especially when you pick one up in person at the IC & bring it directly back to your room.