Where can 8 kids snorkel? - Cozumel, G. Cayman, Jamaica

Hi all, our family (18 of us, including 8 kids aged 6-16) are booked for July 2017 sailing on RC departing Galveston. Our three ports: Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Falmouth Jamaica.

QUESTION:

We want to do a beach day - NOT via an excursion - rather something cheap, where the kids can either play on the beach OR jump in the ocean with snorkels and actually see some fish.

Which port, and which beach, would best lend itself to this option?

Preferably within walking distance of docks.

Thanks!

A very short walk in Grand Cayman will bring you to this location:

http://paradiserestaurant.ky

Lots of fish, corral formations and fun for kids and adults alike. Not the best snorkelling, but good nevertheless. Plus you have the restaurant, which is quite decent, and reasonably price chair rental.

This link provides some more information on the above location, as well as others nearby: http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/GrandCaymanSnorkeling.htm

There's no good snorkeling within walking distance of Falmouth. I've not snorkeled in Cozumel, but when I researched it a couple of years ago, there were some likely spots a shortish taxi ride away.

Personally, I'd go with Grand Cayman. The beauty of the snorkeling there is that you have several beaches close together, so you can check out several areas. Also, as you are so close to the tender port, you can pop back aboard for lunch, then head to a different destination or two in the afternoon.

Edited by Fouremco

I've snorkeled in GC and Cozumel with good results.

GC- Eden Rock/Devil's Grotto

Cozumel- The Money Bar

I haven't been to the Money Bar, but that's where I would go with a group of kids in that age range. Easy in, easy out, no currents to worry about.

We are doing Nachi Cocum in Cozumel, but plan on doing the excursion to snorkel. We'll probably poke around in our gear off the beach, but beaches don't usually offer great snorkeling. The only place we've ever been with good snorkeling close to the beach was Roatan....thought for your next cruise. ;)

Good luck!

You might want to try Chankaanab in Cozumel. Even though it's a taxi ride from the pier, the snorkeling is very good right off the beach, and they have other amusements there as well - sea lion show, small nature walk, decent restaurant. There's a charge to get in though. We had a nice day there.

I've been to Cayman many many times

The snorkeling at Eden Rock / Devil's Grotto is not for beginners .... this is deep water snorkeling. There is no place to stand up .. water depths can exceed 40 feet. A great place for experienced folks, but not good for beginners. Since OP lists ages 6 to 16 I suspect at least some are not experienced ....

While the snorkeling will not be nearly as good, the water depth is minimal if you just pick one of the spots on 7 mile and snorkel over the sand. If some of the older kids are experienced then Cemetary is an option ...... or even consider Smith's Cove

Another consideration ..... does everyone have their own snorkel gear????? While Eden does have gear rental - and the others I mention do not - I still caution on the depth . . .

I've been to Cayman many many times

The snorkeling at Eden Rock / Devil's Grotto is not for beginners .... this is deep water snorkeling. There is no place to stand up .. water depths can exceed 40 feet. A great place for experienced folks, but not good for beginners. Since OP lists ages 6 to 16 I suspect at least some are not experienced ....

While the snorkeling will not be nearly as good, the water depth is minimal if you just pick one of the spots on 7 mile and snorkel over the sand. If some of the older kids are experienced then Cemetary is an option ...... or even consider Smith's Cove

Another consideration ..... does everyone have their own snorkel gear????? While Eden does have gear rental - and the others I mention do not - I still caution on the depth . . .

Good points. I assumed that the members of the OP's group would either be swimmers or would be wearing a snorkelling vest or similar flotation device.

As a Mom of family of 6 always trying to save some $, here are my choices (having been to GC and COZ a number of times)--but you will need to spend some $ on minibus/taxi, but it's fairly inexpensive:

cheap, good beach day--grab a minibus ($4PP each way) to Royal Palms in Grand Cayman, $2PP entrance fee, rent a few chairs/umbrellas for $10 each or so (we usually get 4 for 6 persons and switch out). Good bathrooms, outside showers, food/bar service. Plenty of minibuses/taxis to take you back to boat whenever. Nice beach, snorkeling poor, but good for beginners. Take a few dollar store blow up rings/ rafts and you'll have a great day. Can get crowded when lots of boats in port, but we went with 7 ships and it was crowded, but still fine. You can also just pay $2PP and then walk down the beach a few minutes and there's no crowd at all, spend the day, using facilities of the beach club as needed.

Cozumel-taxi to Chakanaab (sp?) park. It has decent snorkeling with steps down into the water right at shore (there is a sea wall, no gradual beach), but beachy area right at the water. There are loungers/tiki huts that are free. Small entrance fee. Includes sea lion show. This place is a very good mix of everything. Buy a few sets of snorkel equipt to share--3 sets should work taking turns. you can also rent equipt at Chakanaab, in case you don't snorkel at GC. We have done above 2X with kids/teens who were novice snorkelers 2X. I would repeat it again. We also did Paradise at Coz, but snorkeling right at shore was much better at Ch. We put a life jacket on younger kids (we took ours with us on the cruise), and then had older kids snorkel with a blow up ring on their tummy.

Edited by elaine5

The BEST snorkeling in those ports is probably a snorkel/stingray excursion on Grand Cayman. This is inside the reef, fairly shallow, and is usually very clear. Book either independent or through ship. If the kids like to swim this is the one to splurge on.

Fairly good snorkeling in Cozumel off the beaches south of town but you need to either book with one of the resorts or take a tour. For example, on the last trip we took a cab to Sunscape Sabor with a day pass (note they prefer credit card, cash only with your passport). The tour boats were snorkeling about 100 yards off shore. Inshore was ok, but you really didn't want to swim out far because of the heavy boat traffic. Need water shoes since shore is rocky.

Recently I snorkeled right off the beach at Cemetery Beach on GC. Scenic spot that is on the north end of Seven Mile Beach. You can take a bus or taxi from the tender dock in Georgetown. No food or restrooms there but a nice quiet spot with calm clear H2O.

On last trip to Cozumel went to Nachi Cocum and did there snorkeling trip on a small boat over Palancar Reef. Good snorkeling and worth the 30.00 extra charge over there admission.

We are doing Nachi Cocum in Cozumel, but plan on doing the excursion to snorkel. We'll probably poke around in our gear off the beach, but beaches don't usually offer great snorkeling.

I tried snorkeling at Nachi two months ago off the shore. There is a grand total of two coral heads to see and they are both very small (one about the size of a desk and the other about the sized of a nightstand. The bottom is sandy and grassy in parts. You will not see much there unless you take the boat excursion. That said...the food there is the absolute best and we love it there.

Hi all, our family (18 of us, including 8 kids aged 6-16) are booked for July 2017 sailing on RC departing Galveston. Our three ports: Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Falmouth Jamaica.

QUESTION:

We want to do a beach day - NOT via an excursion - rather something cheap, where the kids can either play on the beach OR jump in the ocean with snorkels and actually see some fish.

Which port, and which beach, would best lend itself to this option?

Preferably within walking distance of docks.

Thanks!

I went away from the crowds in Cayman and went the opposite way from 7 mile beach this past year to Smith Cove. It was beautiful, had a good number of fish in the coral heads to the left when you enter only 20 yards out from shore and was only about 8-10 feet in depth. Nice quiet beach with shower facilities. No restaurants and not equipment rental though if you need those things. It was about a 25 minute walk there from the pier. You could cab it as well if you wanted to.