"Stylish" water shoes?

Okay, so I'm weird about the ocean, and I don't like the idea of stepping on sharp rocks/jellyfish/those crazy flatfish. I want to get a pair of water shoes, just to have something on my feet while I'm in the water.

BUT most water shoes are either quite ugly ("standard" water shoes) or really heavy because they're not designed to be worn while swimming (ie Keens).

So anyone found some shoes that are good to be worn in the water, but still look reasonable with a swimsuit?

I've already got a strike against me being a fat girl in a bikini (my mother can shove it =P), so I'm trying not to look ABSOLUTELY ridiculous, lol. We'll be in Bermuda so I feel like I need to at least TRY to look like a normal human.

Well, I sure as heck never thought I'd be saying this on the internet, but have you thought about Crocs?

Assuming your "water shoe" needs are pretty minimal - you want a shoe that will stay on in the water but doesn't need to be much more than a sole to keep your feet from touching bottom? The Sexi Flip might work? There's a T strap with a little more coverage (there's another Isabelle version that has more straps)

Speedo has a ballet style shoe and also a t strap and a version called the in-flow that is minimalist but doesn't go in between the toes.

Well, I sure as heck never thought I'd be saying this on the internet, but have you thought about Crocs?

I can't believe I'm saying this on the internet, but those Crocs are actually kind of perfect? Crap.

I can't believe I'm saying this on the internet, but those Crocs are actually kind of perfect? Crap.

They have to be good for something, right? (I use them as garden shoes - literally! They're by the door, I go & garden, get muddy, wash them off, leave them by the door.....)

I bought an awesome, very light pair of water sandals at Kohls. I use them for water aerobics but they were great in Hawaii. Price before sales was under $30. They come in grey or black

WalMart! I bought blue ones there that look like a slip on with a white sole. Wore them all over Atlantis in Nassau. Not Jimmy Choos but who cares for $5. Husband bought a black pair.

FYI these are the closest thing I can find so far, and I can get them, it's just the black ones are $80 and it annoys me that it's so much more for black than the other colors, haha. I'm very petty that way.

http://www.amazon.com/Teva-Womens-Northwater-Sandal-Brown/dp/B00DQUP2NQ/

I have a very similar Teva, only the strap is velcro (awful because the strap has no elastic and it pops open). I don't use them as water shoes because they are too open and sand and pebbles get in. I prefer the stretchy sock-style for practicality, though they might not look as nice as the Tevas. Speedo makes some cute ones that are lower cut with straps. I have these...http://www.speedousa.com/accessories/footwear/womens-footwear/womens-beachrunner-20-water-shoe/style-7493165

There is no such thing as "stylish" water shoes. Get what feels good and doesn't slip when wet. That's the best you can do. They are all ugly and leave your tootsies untanned!!!

LOL! I couldn't agree more. There is nothing really cute or stylish about any water shoes or water sandals. It's more like "well, that one isn't too bad looking". :D

I wear water shoes almost everyday for my exercise class in water. I have had fairly decent luck with Land's End water shoes -- both sneaker style (I usually replace the tie strings with elastic bungee chord style chords -- stay put better) and Mary Jane style which I find a little easier to put on and off. They last me between 2 and 3 years. I wash them out in the washing machine once a week and dry them every time in the air -- otherwise they stink! to high Heaven.

Land's End has a thick sole --looks more like a sneaker than a water shoe. Much easier to walk on than the flat sole. I took a nasty fall with the jelly type shoe -- around a wet environment the jelly (molded plastic type) does not grip even though it looks like tread. I also found that Keene's type with the thick toe kept me from feeling (and avoiding) rocks and tree roots that might lie just under the sand or stick up at the edge of the beach area. Again pitched straight forward on my face. Perhaps your balance/mobility is better than mine but these are things to think about.

I wore for the first time my Land's End Mary Jane water shoes yesterday. They are silver frost (a light gray) with white sole and fairly wide strap -- I like the wide strap because the Velcro lasts better. These are very smooth inside -- a real plus -- no blisters. Sizes from 5 to 11 with half sizes and widths medium (fairly wide) and wide! I am considering buying a pair of orthodics inserts just for the water shoes -- not decided to splurge for waterproof/tolerant orthadics as I don't walk the beach that much anymore. With the orthodic in place, I can use the water shoes as a light weight shoe to tour in.

Large Sears stores with a Land's End section have them NOW (not year round) and if you catch a sale about $30 down from list of $55. 3 styles I think. I came home and ordered on-line for the size I wanted in the color I wanted. I have so much to say because I just went through the process -- started in Jan. but not until summer stuff came out could I find what I needed.:p

I like the looks of those Tevas mentioned above. I've loved my Teva flip-flops, and they've lasted for years.

I love the look of Jambu shoes, but they haven't lasted for me. I have a pair right now that are soooo comfortable, but they're just terribly worn out with cracked leather on top.

I have Lands End Mary Jane style water shoes, and I like them very much. They look better than the cheap-o types, and they provide good protection in the ocean /while participating in water sports.

Edited by MrsPete

I like the looks of those Tevas mentioned above. I've loved my Teva flip-flops, and they've lasted for years.

I love the look of Jambu shoes, but they haven't lasted for me. I have a pair right now that are soooo comfortable, but they're just terribly worn out with cracked leather on top.

I have Lands End Mary Jane style water shoes, and I like them very much. They look better than the cheap-o types, and they provide good protection in the ocean /while participating in water sports.

Wow, sorry your Jambu shoes haven't lasted. I just took my pair of all-around shoes with me (they go in the water, on sand, on cobblestones and out to dinner) with me as my only shoe other than my trail runners when I went to Puerto Rico a few weeks ago. That pair of Jambu's I bought back in 2010. Now, they don't have leather - they are vegan. I have 2 other pair of the same ones in different colors and I'm saving one of them for when my 2010s wear out. The trail/water-ready ones now on their site are not leather.

Wow, sorry your Jambu shoes haven't lasted. I just took my pair of all-around shoes with me (they go in the water, on sand, on cobblestones and out to dinner) with me as my only shoe other than my trail runners when I went to Puerto Rico a few weeks ago. That pair of Jambu's I bought back in 2010. Now, they don't have leather - they are vegan. I have 2 other pair of the same ones in different colors and I'm saving one of them for when my 2010s wear out. The trail/water-ready ones now on their site are not leather.
Poor little shoes, and I've only had them a year:

Shoes.jpg.1a76739fe871bda639a5532e28e3a6ef.jpg

Mrs Pete, I'd return those shoes to wear you bought them. That wear isn't normal

I no longer have the box or the receipt. I did wear them an awful lot this winter.

It's not like I'm rough on my shoes or anything. I have shoes that're years and years old.

Edited by MrsPete

I no longer have the box or the receipt. I did wear them an awful lot this winter.

It's not like I'm rough on my shoes or anything. I have shoes that're years and years old.

That does seem unusual wear for a pair of Jambus. I've had multiple pairs, sandals, water shoes, winter boots, dress shoes. None have gone bad like that. I've had some of the shoes and boots for years now and they have only shown wear on the soles. Sorry 'bout your pair.

I am surfer who loathes booties, but wears them, and water shoes when otherwise in reefy third-world surf, these are the ones I currently own:

https://www.rei.com/product/866378/jambu-tidal-terra-marine-water-shoes-womens

Remember that what's the most STYLISH is trying something new and having fun! ~~~~~

Edited by GulfSurferGirl

I agree with the other posters - there is no such thing as a 'sylish' water shoe! lol

We LOOOVVVEEEEE Fila Skeletoes. Seriously. They - by far - stay on the best and have arch support. Not the prettiest but do work the best in water and you can wear them from water straight to land. Love them.