Tracking location of kids on Harmony of the Seas

We are booked on a Harmony of the Seas cruise in December 2016. This will be our family's first cruise with Royal Caribbean. Is there a system on the ship for tracking where our kids are located throughout the day? They will be ages 14, 12, 8 & 7 at the time of the cruise. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes, it is called your eyes. Sorry, those ages are too young to let them roam that enormous ship on their own. Just the number of drownings and near drownings are disturbing....not to mention many other incidents that may happen. Sorry...just my opinion.

yes. it is called laying the ground rules and ENFORCING them yourself. it is your responsibility to keep an eye on your kids and to know where they are at all times.

the 12 and 14 YO will have sign out privileges at the kids club unless you deny it on the first day. the two younger will not be allowed to leave the kids club activities until they are picked up by an adult or older sibling.

the only time security gets involved is if they are running around in packs getting onto trouble or are out past curfew( 1 am)

Yes, it is called your eyes. Sorry, those ages are too young to let them roam that enormous ship on their own. Just the number of drownings and near drownings are disturbing....not to mention many other incidents that may happen. Sorry...just my opinion.

Don't be sorry! My first thought to post was "watch them". To the original poster, Please do not let your children out of your sight. Too many things can happen and have happened. Being on a cruise ship is similar to being in a small city. Unless you would allow your children to roam the city alone, wether it is day or night, you should not let them roam the ship on their own either. I know this is a hard task, but....

better safe than sorry. If you need some time own your own, and I understand that, try to get the kids into an aged based kids club, where they are supervised and monitored by ship staff. Not every day, but they might enjoy it a day or two.

Edited by dedosr

Don't be sorry! My first thought to post was "watch them". To the original poster, Please do not let your children out of your sight. Too many things can happen and have happened. Being on a cruise ship is similar to being in a small city. Unless you would allow your children to roam the city alone, wether it is day or night, you should not let them roam the ship on their own either. I know this is a hard task, buy

t better safe than sorry. If you need some time own your own, and I understand that, try to get the kids into an aged based kids club, where they are supervised and monitored by ship staff. Not every day, but they might enjoy it a day or two.

You two oldest are old enough for the teen club, correct? They don't need to be signed in our out. Kids meet up there for activities, or just to meet up and head out. My rule was to stay together, and to let me know when they were changing places (and we did the same). My oldest was 14 on her first cruise, made a lot of friends that first night, and had a blast.

The younger ones will be with you or at the club, or with older siblings, so no need to worry about their locations.

And yes, once my kids reach middle school age, they have the run of our town. Fortunately, we live in a place with sidewalks, tons of retail and restaurants, great parks, a true Main Street, where kids walk to school starting in elementary school. And a population of close to 30,000.

You are their parents and you should be their tracker. It is not up to the ship employees or others to watch your kids. If you have them in a program then that is different. Bad things happen on ships, don't be the parents who will regret it later for not watching them.

http://cruiselawyers.com/blog/cruise-ship-loses-boy-how-to-protect-your-children-on-a-cruise-vacation/

Edited by ReneeFLL

People are comfortable with giving their kids different amounts of freedom. I don't consider ships safer than any other place with a couple of thousands of strangers, but if we never give our teens any freedom, how are they going to learn how to manage things for themselves? I don't want to raise kids that are terrified of the world. I want them to feel confident that they have the skills and knowledge to make good choices. That doesn't mean that I let them run wild on the ship all day, but that I give them boundaries and rules to follow and allow them to go get an ice cream without me, or to hang in the teen club with friends for a couple of hours. The idea that 12 and 14 year old cannot be let out of a parents sight because the world is too scary makes me really concerned for these kids when they are adults. And that article about the missing autistic boy was posted on a page for a lawyer specializing in cruise law. The boy was 11, and went back to his room, where he was supervised by the room steward until the parents returned.

We are booked on a Harmony of the Seas cruise in December 2016. This will be our family's first cruise with Royal Caribbean. Is there a system on the ship for tracking where our kids are located throughout the day? They will be ages 14, 12, 8 & 7 at the time of the cruise. Thanks!

The Harmony will have a system called Royal IQ. It is an app for smart phones that you can read the cruise compass, make dinner reservations, view you cruise calendar to name a few but for a fee ($7.95) you can call or text anyone on the ship with the Royal IQ. Time will tell if the new internet system on the Harmony will be fast enough to be worth while. We will be on the Harmony in just a June 19.

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/royaliq

Shak

If you put the younger ones in kids club, that is where they stay until you go get them. Only you know if the older two are reliable enough to "do their own thing". Personally at that age I would allow them some freedom with a pre-arranged meet up time. Miss the meet-up, lose the privilege.

You may find they choose to stay with you, this is a big ship and they may just find it a little intimidating to go it alone.